Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 9 hours of D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  04:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, it's 4:33AM, and I've just got in from a mammoth nine hours of roleplaying. My temples are aching, my eyes are itching. I'm exhausted. But, the main part is, we won!

Just wondering if anyone else has played D&D for stupid hours? I physically feel sick. I need bed. :s

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  04:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the worst things I ever did was trying to run City of the Spider Queen without stopping. We got to the end of Szith Morcane and just packed it in.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  08:20:42  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the day, when mammoths walked the earth and I was young, I think my friends and I gamed for an eighteen-hour stretch, with two roughly six-hour streches on either side of that. Something like six-to-midnight Friday, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning into late afternoon.

It is perhaps telling that I don't even recall the details of the adventure, or my character, or anything. But I haven't much cared for Dr. Pepper since. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  08:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucius

Well, it's 4:33AM, and I've just got in from a mammoth nine hours of roleplaying. My temples are aching, my eyes are itching. I'm exhausted. But, the main part is, we won!

Just wondering if anyone else has played D&D for stupid hours? I physically feel sick. I need bed. :s

Well met

Interesting! Tell me, Lucius... was this adventuring in the Realms? Would ye care to give us a synopsis or short summary of the adventure during this time?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  08:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo is very greedy for any realms lore

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 01 Dec 2005 08:47:29
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  08:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

One of the worst things I ever did was trying to run City of the Spider Queen without stopping. We got to the end of Szith Morcane and just packed it in.

I plan on running COSQ for 2 days back to back between Chrissy and New years!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  11:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Alaundo is very greedy for any realms lore

Well met

Oh there can ne'er be enough Realmslore, my dear Mazrim_Taim And I always like to hear of adventurer's travels beyond these walls.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  14:37:58  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

You'll have to tell us how much you players are going to hate undead by the time that's over, Dargoth!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  14:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once had a DM (this was Legends of the Five Rings, though, not FR) who had a sleep disorder that pretty much kept him awake all the time. We once started gaming at about noon and didn't stop until 5 AM, because that's when the DM finally started getting sleepy. I tell you, trying to figure out how a samaurai would properly react in intricate situations when your eyes can't focus on anything is an experience.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  14:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gladly!

We were stationed in a minor border town somewhere near the Spine of the World. As it was in introduction for two of the players, the adventure was fairly simple. Caravan raids had ceased, and we were eventually hired to help. Strangely, despite only the GM and myself having played before, the two newbies were excellent at roleplaying, one a half orc warrior, the other a half elf sorceror. I played Sparrow, a Halfling Rogue with experiance in throwing knives.

After nine hours of adventuring (including roleplaying how we first met), we finished the Goblin lord who had captured the caravans, as well as his shadowy human advisor. Next week we plan on researching the strange facial tatoo this character had, and attempt to discover why this organization were employing Goblins to do their dirty work.

Despite missing my first uni seminar this morning due to lack of sleep, the 9 hours game was well worth it!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  17:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

If I get enough players, I usually run a non-stop game over Christmas break-my family barely doesn't see me for the gaming. Unfortunately, that will have to be cut this year, with all my volunteering for the Green party this election...
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  17:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno, we regularly get in 6-7 hours of campaign in Gray's living room. Granted we have between 4 and 12 players at any given session, but 9 hours is old hat. For years we would gather at my place around noon, game until 2am then sleep till 10-11 and head out to Amtgard for the day.

Back when I was younger and needed less sleep.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  18:07:58  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once i had a twenty-four hour straight gaming session. Sorry Al it was a cyber punk game. We used to see how many of these 8+ hour sessions we could string together. We loved to play until people start to say abstract and random things which make no sense but are totally hilarious at the time. Sleep drunk you know!

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  18:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to try one of these marathon sessions, but since my wife is also part of the group and since she thinks silly things such as "the kids need to go to bed SOMETIME tonight", I don't see it happening in the forseeable future.

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  19:17:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taking care of the kids in that situation is why you keep in touch with your own parents, Belthor

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  20:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We usually play for about seven hours on a Saturday, it used to be biweekly but now it's once a month.
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  20:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't feel quite as hardcore now, which can be both a plus and a minus, I suppose.

Just found out that we will be playing once a week, hopefully. Our GM is going to be running the rest of his games in his own world though. I'll have to see if I can run a Realms campaign for them in the new year.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  21:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10AM-10PM once a month on the second sunday....
It is amazing how much can get done in a session that long.
The players and I get tired and do a wrap up aroudn 9PM, and I kick 'em out by 10.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  08:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My record gaming session has been from 6 PM to nearly midnight...the next day. About 30 hours. The group I play with is hosted by a retiree from the army and his wife. We quite regularly have 18-20 hour gaming sessions.

I've been gaming with them for almost a year and a half now, and boy I have some stories to tell...but that's for another scroll.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  14:46:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think the longest I've done in my life is about 16 hours. And that only happened once. Most of the time I just have 4 hours sessions 3-4 times a week.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  14:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, just a footnote. The "till 2am" sessions we play DO include my 10 year old.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  04:56:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back when I was able to game on a regular basis, we would get together every other saturday for an all day event. We would take regular breaks every couple of hours or so though. Gotta stay hydrated and restock on the munchies.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  16:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once played two 18 hour sessions with my friends on a saturday and a sunday... Messed my head up completely.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  16:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's become a tradition in my gaming group to "play in" the New Year with a session starting sometime in the afternoon on New Years Eve and playing through to the evening on New Years Day - usually a bit over 24 hours. To make it special everyone has to DM an adventure, even the people who never normally DM. Mostly we have a holiday theme and use characters generated specially for the adventure.

Our regular Realms DM told us to create 4th level characters, each with a 3rd level associate. We were to be members of the Zhenatarim based at Darkhold. It was Midwinter, and we were expected to
provide gifts to our superior to prove that we were still committed to the cause. In addition, there was a position available outside Darkhold which one of us would be promoted into. Whoever impressed our superior most would get the promotion.We got a short biography of our superior, a list of available resources, and one remark from our supervisor. "Of course, if only one of you is alive at the end of the day, I'd have no choice but to appoint them." We were asked to say what class we were going to be, and then we were left to work out our characters and their associates, decide what equipment we wanted, try to work out what sort of gift would please our supervisor, and plot ways to kill each other.

If there's one lesson I'll take from this game, it's that the correct protocol for accepting a gift from someone who's mistress is a Cleric of Talona with maximum ranks in Craft(Poisonmaking) is to rip open the packing with your bare hands, say "Oh, how lovely." and put a carefully prepared amulet around your neck. A fireball from 200 feet is much to be preferred.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic