Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Chapter 22 - Postlude
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:52:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapter 22 through Postlude, and the "Nightingale's Song" herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  13:59:49  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's it. It's all over!

I was wondering as I was reading towards the end if the book would take the usual route and the hero saves the day and everyone lives happily ever after.

But this is more my type of book, which the author has no fear of saying farewell to his main character.

All handled extremely well.

I am glad that Arya survived in the end, through the grace of Walker and his healing ring, so that she can go on to tell the tale, and sing the song!

Erik - 'twas a damn fine book, and I look forward to more of your stories in the future. You are shaping up to be the dark, M.Night Shyamalan of the Realms!

I look forward to seeing other peoples comments, as they pick out some of the stuff I have (deliberately) left out, so I can join in the discussion some more.

If you haven't got the novel....what are you reading this for - GO OUT AND BUY IT!!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:) I'm glad you enjoyed it all.

Particularly glad the ending was satisfying. I thought I ended in the manner most appropriate for the story. Tragic, wrenching, and mysterious: I didn't, after all, leave a body.

And on that note -- what did you think of the song? Not a Realms convention, by any means, to put a song at the end of a book.

Thanks for the Amazon review, as well!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 05 Dec 2005 18:41:10
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  20:24:07  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And on that note -- what did you think of the song?

I thought it was really fitting, in what was said between Arya and Walker in the last part of the book. It really is like her singing his song, and was beautiful way to end the book.

quote:
Thanks for the Amazon review, as well!

No probs!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the ranger attack and the flurry of arrows. Nice how they went through Walker as he was in ghost form.

I liked how Meris ran into the tavern and grabbed a drunk as a shield.. who happened to be Morgan. Nice to see him again I think this reuse of this character here was a nice touch.

Well this puts the icing on the cake, as Meris states that he and Walker are brothers and the motive behind what happened 15 years ago was basic jealousy.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, another old character gets an extra scene as Arya sees Chandra in the spirit plane. Excellent

Another good flashback here as Walker suddenly recalls the old memory of his death with Gyther'yel at the scene. Those jigsaw pieces all slotted into place just nicely!

A very sad ending. I liked how Walker walked into his death and saw his mother and father there for him, and how it all went white (quite a change from it all being black for him before).

Sad how Arya was left behind and alone. I'm glad she made it and the Nightingale's Song at the end of the book was the perfect ending.

A fantastic book. I highly recommend it. A great setting, great flavor, complex and twisting story. Loved it from start to end.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you liked the ending. I had originally outlined a happy ending, then decided it wasn't really appropriate for the character or the story. My editor agreed, and we got what we got: ambiguous, sad, wrenching, beautiful in its own way.

I say ambiguous because Walker isn't necessarily dead -- just gone. But to where? What happens to Arya now?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  16:49:50  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I was very impressed for this being your first Realms novel. You crafted an excellent opening volume to what I hope is a larger body of work.

The scene with Arya, Bars, and Derst bantering while surrounded by the rangers of Greyt reminded me very much of Ed's style of writing, with the friendly bantering in the face of danger, and to an extant, the nervous laughter keeping the outnumbered party sane . . . good thing help arrived soon.

Very nice change up with the Ghostly Lady being the actual villain. I started to think that she had her own agenda early on, but it was only in these last few parts that I thought that she might be directly involved and not just a nasty side plot. You still had me second guessing myself when she seemed sad as she spoke to her sister about what she was about to do to the last of their line. I almost thought that she still had a greater purpose besides genocide in mind . . .

I never pictured Arya being particularly poetic or musical before, but I guess her time with Walker could really have inspired her. You do realize you now have the latest date (with the exclusion of the Double Diamond Triangle Fiasco) attribution in the Realms, attributing that song to Arya the year AFTER the year of lightning storms? Time moves ever forward I guess.

All in all, very good book. I wasn't sure I was going to get it until I saw it was going to be in the bookclub, but now I am very glad I did read it.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  17:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for all your comments. By all means, post a review on Amazon if you like! All you folks here at the Book Club are giving really good insights.

Yes, interesting that it's 1375, eh? I think that might have been an editorial decision and not mine. I don't recall if my draft had the date.

Indeed, the idea is that her time with Walker inspires Arya, who's not a particularly good singer or musician of any kind, but she sings from the heart.

And we don't know, really, what thge 1375 means. Maybe Arya wrote it then, or maybe that's the first time the Nightingale's Song makes it into print. What clues do we get, eh? ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 Dec 2005 17:53:22
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  09:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Ghostwalker and I have to ask.... Is there some clause in the Fighter series authors contracts that stipulates that the leading male character has to die?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  16:04:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Just finished reading Ghostwalker and I have to ask.... Is there some clause in the Fighter series authors contracts that stipulates that the leading male character has to die?

Heh.

Nope, 'tis just a coincidence that Jess and I did the same thing. I ended it that way because I thought it was the ending most true to the book.

I originally wrote a more optimistic ending, but decided against it. Now it's just mysterious -- and remember, I haven't necessarily killed Walker. He just vanished.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  07:28:03  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had such high expectations for this book, Erik.
And you met every one of them!

Walker was a nice departure from the usual hero. I expected dark, and Walker was a dark, tortured soul. Of course I say was, but it sounds like you have plans for him.

Only thing missing was a good dwarf character, although the earth genasi was a nice touch.

Thanks for the good read.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I can't help but wonder if Lord Singer'll achieve some sort of redemption in the end, himself...and Walker does seem to be lost often. Great book, Erik, I thought it was incredible. The Fighters series tends to focus on small scale events and brilliant characters. Though both of them seem to have room open for sequels or further adventures with the characters
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  16:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I had such high expectations for this book, Erik.
And you met every one of them!

Oh, thank goodness. I'm glad you enjoyed!

quote:
Walker was a nice departure from the usual hero. I expected dark, and Walker was a dark, tortured soul. Of course I say was, but it sounds like you have plans for him.

Well -- we'll see. Walker's not necessarily dead. Remember, we never SEE him die, nor a charred body, nor any remnant.

quote:
Only thing missing was a good dwarf character, although the earth genasi was a nice touch.

I know -- as soon as I first chatted with you over on Worlds, I said to myself, Oh, Hammer's going to be disappointed at the lack of dwarf. But I think Unddreth makes a good stand-in.

There was actually a joke in the first draft of the novel about his similarity to a dwarf (in terms of stubbornness), which I took out because I thought it was disjointed. I won't reprint it here, since I might use it later, but just know that I'm thinking of the bearded folk.

quote:
Thanks for the good read.

Thanks for reading it. I'm glad you enjoyed!

quote:
Y'know, I can't help but wonder if Lord Singer'll achieve some sort of redemption in the end, himself...and Walker does seem to be lost often. Great book, Erik, I thought it was incredible. The Fighters series tends to focus on small scale events and brilliant characters. Though both of them seem to have room open for sequels or further adventures with the characters

High praise, Ethriel. My thanks!

Jess said that now we have to write a book featuring:

****SPOILER FOR Master of Chains and Ghostwalker****

Vampire Master of Chains vs. Ghostly Ghostwalker -- clash of the undead titans.

Sounds like a great B movie.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  17:07:48  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

It took some time - and after the last section - I decided to go back and re-read some parts.

I think in some ways - my previous unfounded comments may be partially due to a lack of sleep. Between work and other things - I Still stayed up longer to read just a little more...(*Thats a good thing BTW*)

All-in-all I agree with everyones comments thus far. I enjoyed it quite a lot, and did in fact like the ending. The song was a bit of a surprise - but not out-of-place as such.

Now - to the possible down-side.

I am not sure I would recomend this to 'just anyone'. It is a *complicated* story, to be sure - and may require a re-read of some sections - so I hesitate to pass this along to 'the masses' as it were. However - keep in mind - I work in a bookstore - and I am Always getting asked for recomendations for this and that. Most of the staff knows I read these books (*somewhat exclusively - due to time constraints - and my considering them more fuel for the fire for my own gaming experiences*) and pass questions about them my way. Sometimes - I get to talk to other readers around my age (in general - which is mid-30's) but other times I get asked questions by parents of 12 to 15-year olds who are just starting to read these - and other items. I think that something as twisting as this would not be the best in a situation like that. Obviously, not all people read at the same level - and I'm sure there are some young readers who would do just fine. I also imagine that some older readers want nothing more than hack-n-slash, but generally that is the reverse of truth.

I also am somewhat hesitant to say that I almost thought that there were too many twists and turns. Possibly I am more of a 'simpleton' reader than I would like to think. I know I would not be the first person to acuse me(?) of that. It seems that at some points - clues are dropped - and conclusions can be made - and are seemingly intended to be made - but we come to see how that was a red herring - and that the facts point to something else. Clever - but tiring after the 2nd or 3rd time. I beleive that readers enjoy 'figuring things out' before they are out-and-out stated - much like a murder-mystery, like they are on the inside track of whats going on. I'm not so sure they appreciate the 'bait-and-switch' as much.

That being said - I'd like to repeat my previous statements - that I did greatly enjoy the book. I thought in some ways - it was too short! LOL But - it sounds like you might have plans for the characters in the future....

I guess in closing - I have a few simple questions - of varying topics.

1) Arya taking Greyt's ring. She did finger it later - as we noticed - but it never really seemed to have a purpose - yet you did mention all things happening for a purpose. I guess its the only part of the book where I did not beleive what happened - and I was curious if there was more to that that may have gotten cut - or that you changed your mind - yet did not delete the other references to it.

2) I have as-yet not read 'Wayfarer' - but I will shortly. My question is - however - would you consider Ghostwalker a 'typical' piece of your writing? Someone compared your writing style to that of a director (Can't spell to save my life - so I'll just say Director :) .) - and I wondered if some/most/all of your writing is as dark (Not like its a bad thing, however) and as twisty (same disclaimer) as Ghostwalker.

3) I hope my previous comments have not bothered you overly much. They were not meant in any way to say that you are a bad/poor etc. writer. If it has not been made clear - I'll mention it again - it was a great read - and one that I Will recomend - to the right people of course! I guess this is not really a question though..... I lose at Jeopardy....

Now - off to look to see if I printed Wayfarer out yet or not!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  18:27:58  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Heh.

Nope, 'tis just a coincidence that Jess and I did the same thing. I ended it that way because I thought it was the ending most true to the book.

I originally wrote a more optimistic ending, but decided against it. Now it's just mysterious -- and remember, I haven't necessarily killed Walker. He just vanished.

Cheers

I would ask that we try to keep this thread to Ghostwalker. I just finished the book (I most enjoyed it) and I came in here to discuss it. In the process, I have found out how the first Fighters book ends, yet I have not read it.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  18:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoebryn

I would ask that we try to keep this thread to Ghostwalker. I just finished the book (I most enjoyed it) and I came in here to discuss it. In the process, I have found out how the first Fighters book ends, yet I have not read it.

Well met

Many apologies, Jhoebryn This should have been noticed and taken care of with adequate spoiler warnings. It's easy to forget that some may not be reading the novels in sequential\release order. Again, apologies for this.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  18:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I do very much hope we will see Arya, Derst and Bars again. How about a Knights trilogy?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  18:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dhomal,

1) I should probably clarify to ALMOST everything happens for a purpose. There are, as you pointed out, red herrings and merely implied meanings and LOTS of ambiguity.

For instance.

a) Whence the ghostfire elemental?
b) What's the deal with the locket?
c) Why does Meris work with Gylther'yel?
d) Is Walker really dead?
e) What are Gylther'yel's "ghost powers"?

Amongst others. And if you want to know any of these things. . . I can think of no better place than the Book Club to ask.

Then again, perhaps it's better to keep guessing and come up with one's own answers.

2) Indeed, my writing tends to the dark side (at least, that which I've published thus far). I think I have some range, however. . . We'll see. "Wayfarer" is quite dark, like Ghostwalker.

3) I'm glad you enjoyed.

Jhoebryn,

Let me echo Alaundo and apologize for the spoiler for Master of Chains in the thread. If it's any consolation. . . we didn't QUITE spoil it. And you should definitely read it.

As for whether or not the trio will reappear, and in what form. . . only time (and WotC) will tell. I will say that I would love to write more about them, particularly Arya.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  03:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could use a bit more Arya myself...

I found the ending to be very appropriate. For how dark this book seemed throughout, a "happy ending" would have been out of place.

I will say that, in the end, I felt almost bad for Lord Singer Greyt. I truly despised Meris throughout (after reading "Wayfarer", I understood his character a little better, and still hated him).

I was a bit confused when the Ghost Lady set Meris "to remove the rats (Walker) from her forest". I almost thought she may have been setting up Meris for a fall by sending him to Walker. After reading the last chapter, I found that you had done a great job covering up her overall character and agenda. The last revelation of the night Walker was killed and the Ghost Lady's part in it was placed perfectly at the end. Everything became brutally clear just at the end, just in time for the powerful, final scenes.

I must say you did a wonderful job with this book. Good characters, wonderful interplay between them (something I look for most in a story), intrigue, certainly not predicatble, and you did a great job creating the atmosphere you wanted for the story.

My favorite Realms authors include Salvatore, Cunningham and Paul Kemp. I have added de Bie to that list. I eagerly await your next work...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  20:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thank you, that is indeed high praise.

If you feel inclined, I would be honored if you would write a review on Amazon about the book. You seem to have strong sentiments about it and are very articulate. But, of course, only if you like.

Many thanks, once again, and I'm glad you enjoyed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  22:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to mention that I very much enjoyed this book. I can't say I was overly fond of the protagonist--he was too stoic and too unhappy for me to really connect with. However, I DID enjoy the actual story, as well as the twist at the end. And of course, the real standout for me was Lord Greyt. He was creepy, but I can't say I didn't find him interesting. ;)

I do have a question though--in Arya's song at the end, what is she refering to when she suggests that perhaps it was she who was lost, and the Ghostwalker saved her? I was confused by this line. How was Arya lost? Surely not just because she was a single woman (that's what I am! :P).

Take care,

RF

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  15:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just want to mention that I very much enjoyed this book. I can't say I was overly fond of the protagonist--he was too stoic and too unhappy for me to really connect with. However, I DID enjoy the actual story, as well as the twist at the end. And of course, the real standout for me was Lord Greyt. He was creepy, but I can't say I didn't find him interesting. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed! He was one of the best characters to write.

quote:
I do have a question though--in Arya's song at the end, what is she refering to when she suggests that perhaps it was she who was lost, and the Ghostwalker saved her? I was confused by this line. How was Arya lost? Surely not just because she was a single woman (that's what I am! :P).

Well, RF, that's REALLY open to interpretation. Like much of the ending of the book, I made it purposefully ambiguous and unclear. I had a particular purpose for that line (it has a particular meaning for me), but I prefer to let it speak for itself and allow you to make it mean what you want -- what you got out of the book.

I can say, however, that my intention was not an implication that she was lost "as a single woman." That would be a tad trivial ("oh, I wasn't in a relationship, but then I was! Oh!" ), plus the Realms don't have that kind of expectation of women. I'm far too much of a feminist myself to shovel that tripe.

Not to mention, of course, that Arya is STILL a single woman after Ghostwalker, isn't she?

A couple of bits to note about the line:

1) Arya is saying "perhaps," rather than "truly." It is something she's still thinking about, at least a year later (the poem's date is 1375, not 1374, and Ghostwalker takes place in the beginning of the spring of 1374).

2) Walker had a great impact on her, developing her character. The way she acts throughout the book (and I hope I got this right), is not the behavior of someone experienced or even interested in love. Her youth was not conducive to coming to terms with her femininity or sexual drive, being raised by a stodgy paladin-turned-lord of a father, having lost her mother at childbirth, and having only "guy" friends (and I mean really, it's Bars and Derst!).

Mayhap Walker is, for better or worse, something of an awakening for her.

Both of those said, that line means whatever you want it to mean. It depends on what you took from the novel.

Cheers

P.S. And mayhap we'll see some of the extent of Walker's impact on Arya. Only time, as the cliche runs, will tell.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  00:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad you enjoyed! He was one of the best characters to write.

I can tell you had fun with him.

quote:

Well, RF, that's REALLY open to interpretation. Like much of the ending of the book, I made it purposefully ambiguous and unclear. I had a particular purpose for that line (it has a particular meaning for me), but I prefer to let it speak for itself and allow you to make it mean what you want -- what you got out of the book.

I can say, however, that my intention was not an implication that she was lost "as a single woman." That would be a tad trivial ("oh, I wasn't in a relationship, but then I was! Oh!" ), plus the Realms don't have that kind of expectation of women. I'm far too much of a feminist myself to shovel that tripe.

Not to mention, of course, that Arya is STILL a single woman after Ghostwalker, isn't she?

A couple of bits to note about the line:

1) Arya is saying "perhaps," rather than "truly." It is something she's still thinking about, at least a year later (the poem's date is 1375, not 1374, and Ghostwalker takes place in the beginning of the spring of 1374).

2) Walker had a great impact on her, developing her character. The way she acts throughout the book (and I hope I got this right), is not the behavior of someone experienced or even interested in love. Her youth was not conducive to coming to terms with her femininity or sexual drive, being raised by a stodgy paladin-turned-lord of a father, having lost her mother at childbirth, and having only "guy" friends (and I mean really, it's Bars and Derst!).

Mayhap Walker is, for better or worse, something of an awakening for her.

Both of those said, that line means whatever you want it to mean. It depends on what you took from the novel.

Cheers

P.S. And mayhap we'll see some of the extent of Walker's impact on Arya. Only time, as the cliche runs, will tell.

All right, thank you for the comments. What I was referring to before was the old "romantic" saw that no one (and this can apply to a man as well as to a woman) is truly complete until they've found their soul mate, or--I guess in Arya's case--"true love". As you can probably tell, I don't buy that--I think a person doesn't need to fall in love and/or be attached to someone in order to feel at peace with themselves. But I do like your own take on the matter, and I certainly would not mind seeing more of Arya in the future.

Take care,

RF

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  03:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blast ya, Erik, and your open endedness! Well, we need your guys out of the Elves anthology to meet up with Arya and Walker-if he ever comes back, is it possible?- and save a poor insane singer fleeing from a dragon...
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  16:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

All right, thank you for the comments. What I was referring to before was the old "romantic" saw that no one (and this can apply to a man as well as to a woman) is truly complete until they've found their soul mate, or--I guess in Arya's case--"true love". As you can probably tell, I don't buy that--I think a person doesn't need to fall in love and/or be attached to someone in order to feel at peace with themselves. But I do like your own take on the matter, and I certainly would not mind seeing more of Arya in the future.

Oh, I totally agree. I'm not about to claim that Walker made Arya a "whole" person -- only that he taught her something very, very valuable, just as she taught him something as well. That lesson being rather difficult to quantify.

quote:
Blast ya, Erik, and your open endedness! Well, we need your guys out of the Elves anthology to meet up with Arya and Walker-if he ever comes back, is it possible?- and save a poor insane singer fleeing from a dragon...

Ha! They totally should. Two dragons, mind ye.

And anything is "possible," especially in the Realms. I didn't leave a body behind, remember. (A lesson well learned from Steven Schend.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  22:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tis, true. I'm hoping to see your stories continue quite a bit, Erik, and I sincerely hope they do. Especially the Greater Treasure and the dragon version of Hide and Seek.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  23:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Tis, true. I'm hoping to see your stories continue quite a bit, Erik, and I sincerely hope they do. Especially the Greater Treasure and the dragon version of Hide and Seek.

Like I've said -- elsewhere, I believe:

1) I never forget my characters -- particularly ones I really love. Like Walker, Arya, and Twilight, for instance, and poor, poor Alin, who I thought I'd hate.

2) If all goes smoothly, certain of my stories WILL be continued. It's just a matter of when and where.

quote:
Keep writing and I'll keep reading!

That, dear reader, I can certainly do.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  02:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks for putting up with the manic fans, Erik!

....but is Cyth off somewhere? I think the goat legs would offset most people.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  15:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must specify that here we're getting out of Ghostwalker and into my other stuff, so if you haven't read "The Greater Treasure," don't read on!!!

Ethriel, if we're going to talk generally about my stuff, we should probably move over to my thread in the Chamber of Sages, or if it's going to be about Twilight, Yldar, and Cythara, into the "Greater Treasure" thread in this book club.

quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

....but is Cyth off somewhere? I think the goat legs would offset most people.

Goat legs? Cythara doesn't have goat legs.

Does she?

But they would, if she had them.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  23:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I totally agree. I'm not about to claim that Walker made Arya a "whole" person -- only that he taught her something very, very valuable, just as she taught him something as well. That lesson being rather difficult to quantify.

Very true. Just to let you know, I thought on the matter for a bit and I think I may have hit on the answer to my own question...or at least, one possible answer.

quote:

Ha! They totally should. Two dragons, mind ye.

And anything is "possible," especially in the Realms. I didn't leave a body behind, remember. (A lesson well learned from Steven Schend.)

Cheers

I still hope that bard gets eaten... O:) Dragons need to eat too, you know.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000