Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite noble family
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  20:15:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is more of a "favorite family" question. Again, though, with the prominence of noble families, it's not all that easy to find noteworthy, non-noble families.

And I don't think such a list can be exhaustive. Look at the number of noble families in the City of Splendors -- and that's just one city-state. You could likely fill an entire thread just listing the known nobility of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  00:12:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I think it is more of a "favorite family" question. Again, though, with the prominence of noble families, it's not all that easy to find noteworthy, non-noble families.

But again, that begs the question of why the question isn't simply "What's your favorite family?".

Not that it's an important issue, just something I started thinking about.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Apr 2007 00:18:29
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  05:55:34  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Of course, the pashas are considered nobles...

It was my understanding that the pashas rose throught the ranks until the had enough influence to start there own "house". They were not born into it so how could they be considered royalty? As it is stated in some book or another artemis surprised a few pashas by not starting his own "house" when he got older. That was just my understanding of it.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  10:39:37  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obaskyrs all the way! A bloodline rather colourfull as descriped in Cormyr:A Novel.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  13:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

It was my understanding that the pashas rose throught the ranks until the had enough influence to start there own "house". They were not born into it so how could they be considered royalty?

Who says one has to be born into royalty? In some systems, it may not be necessary. Besides, plenty of royal houses begin with someone crowning himself/herself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  16:19:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yargarth

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Of course, the pashas are considered nobles...

It was my understanding that the pashas rose throught the ranks until the had enough influence to start there own "house". They were not born into it so how could they be considered royalty? As it is stated in some book or another artemis surprised a few pashas by not starting his own "house" when he got older. That was just my understanding of it.

If you look in the most recent sources for how Calimshan is governed, Empires of the Shining Sea and Calimport, you'll notice that most of the pashas are in fact directly related to either the big kahuna - the Syl-Pasha - or one of the other influential families.

Not that this mean a Calimshani can't rise from obscurity, it's just very very hard

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  18:57:38  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baenre

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  19:24:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
battlehammer!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Acolyte

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  21:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course I have the highest opinion of House Moonflower from the given list.
I have not bad relation with House Durothil at all, but it won't say that respectable noble house is my favorite.
(Alltough everyone likes his or her own clan the most. Isn't it so?)

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#8194;H o u s e #8194; E l e s t a r#8195;
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  19:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw this poll. Voted Baenre, second place Obarskyrs, third Moonflower, fourth Nihmedu.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  20:06:24  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I... I voted for the Tanthuls. *runs for cover*
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  20:07:25  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormaeril, then Extaminos, Karanok, Wyvernspur, Wands ...
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  20:38:29  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Sage, though I voted Baenre. It was really a toss-up between them, the Moonflowers, and the Thanns. And I'm not sure they count as noble, but what about the Harpells? I love that zany wizard bunch!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  06:37:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Same here.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

ChieftainTwilight
Learned Scribe

171 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  06:05:51  Show Profile Send ChieftainTwilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where in teh Nine Hells is THANN!? I demand to know!

I side with Sage.

... and also choose Baenre out of the list, but Thann would so be my pick if it were there. I dig the whole thing going on between Khelben and Danilo.

and a heart can only break so many times
and I've been to hell and back so many times
and I've seen folks walk away so many times
but just like anyone else I gotta stand up by myself
and a heart can only break so many times
a heart can only break so many times
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  06:32:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No one voted for the Harpells? A bunch of crazy folks with formidable powers is a sure fun to be with!

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  07:12:39  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I second that one
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  08:01:33  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Mostly agreed on these Quale, although i would switch them around a bit , but i am not familiar with the Extaminos? Where are they from?
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  08:05:30  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Mostly agreed on these Quale, although i would switch them around a bit , but i am not familiar with the Extaminos? Where are they from?

Chessenta. These are those guys who worship Entropy.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  08:17:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Jedea, rulers of Mordulkin, are some of the great, too.

Others should be part of the poll's choices.

Edited by - Dennis on 13 Apr 2011 08:20:37
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  08:36:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... but i am not familiar with the Extaminos? Where are they from?

See the entry for the Cathedral of Emerald Scales in Powers and Pantheons, Serpent Kingdoms, Champions of Ruin, and Lisa Smedman's "House of Serpents" trilogy.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  11:22:30  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like several: the tethyrian Strohms and Rhindauns, waterdhavian Roaringhorns, Wands, Raventrees and Hawkwinters, impulturan Elethlims, silverymoons Threskaals, evereskan/cormanthyrian Ulandorrs, Moonflowers and Mistwinters. Obarskyr are awesome aswell of course.

Most of these families have had a hand in shaping Fearuns history for the Good.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  11:40:05  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

See the entry for the Cathedral of Emerald Scales in Powers and Pantheons, Serpent Kingdoms, Champions of Ruin, and Lisa Smedman's "House of Serpents" trilogy.

Thank you Sage and Zireael. I have Venom's Taste lying around here somewhere on the waiting list, still havent gotten around to reading that. Have you lot read that trilogy? Worthwhile? Wondering if i should push Venom's Taste a few notches up on the waiting list..
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  13:24:06  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonflowers are also an interesting group...
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  13:37:47  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Sage and Zireael. I have Venom's Taste lying around here somewhere on the waiting list, still havent gotten around to reading that. Have you lot read that trilogy? Worthwhile? Wondering if i should push Venom's Taste a few notches up on the waiting list..

It was a prety good series. You'll especially enjoy it if you are fond of psionics and Yuan-ti. The Serpent Sibyl plays a role as a major villain.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:49:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you lot read that trilogy? Worthwhile? Wondering if i should push Venom's Taste a few notches up on the waiting list..

Well, just elaborating a little on what Fellfire said above... you should consider my opinion somewhat biased, because I'm something of a fan of the scaly-folk. So the "House of Serpents" trilogy was definitely able to succeed in that regard. Plus, the setting for the trilogy features an oft-neglected part of the Realms, so we learn all kinds of cool new Realmslore for the region too.

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Apr 2011 16:53:21
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  16:53:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd vote Thann if it were an option.

What was the key family from Scions of Arrabar trilogy....what a facinating sereies and family...I think I will put it on the re-read pile!

I voted Moonflower simply for the connections to Arilyn then Dan and the Queen's friendship with Laeral.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 13 Apr 2011 16:54:44
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  18:11:28  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Have you lot read that trilogy? Worthwhile? Wondering if i should push Venom's Taste a few notches up on the waiting list..

Well, just elaborating a little on what Fellfire said above... you should consider my opinion somewhat biased, because I'm something of a fan of the scaly-folk. So the "House of Serpents" trilogy was definitely able to succeed in that regard. Plus, the setting for the trilogy features an oft-neglected part of the Realms, so we learn all kinds of cool new Realmslore for the region too.

The Vilhon Reach is indeed an intriguing section of Faerūn. The novel mostly take place in Hlondeth i take it? Due to it's Yuan ti influences?
I have mostly read 4ed novels the past months. Some 3ed novels with less focus on spellscarred people could be in order. As soon as i finish City of the Dead.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  01:35:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Vilhon Reach is indeed an intriguing section of Faerūn. The novel mostly take place in Hlondeth i take it? Due to it's Yuan ti influences?
Pretty much. It includes some of the surrounding environs too.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  04:19:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The ancient and venerable House Durothil.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page