Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite noble family
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  00:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I went with the Moonflowers, probably based on how much I enjoyed Elaine's Evermeet.

After finishing that book, I actually found I liked the older Moonflowers (Ava, Anarzee) better than the more recent ones, like Zaor and Amlaruil. The Amlaruil in Evermeet didn't do much for me. Neither did the whole concept of Moonblades choosing a royal family, but that's a whole different discussion.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  00:38:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Durothils... that's a good, old-fashioned me first kind of family. At least the core members are - I'm sure there are extraneous family members not built in the standard mold.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  02:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite noble family would be the Tespers of Waterdeep, since I have played a member of that *ahem* prestigious House for almost 12 years now.

Then again, as a DM, my favorite nobles are all those obscure, minor backwater families that can be easily adapted to any campaign or scenario.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  02:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Other than that, I am fond of House Anrevale, House Calahadanasė and House Strange, but you have to play in my campaign to find out about those.

Hmmm... please do not feel offended, but I might have some trouble getting used to a noble family called 'Strange' - all kinds of silly jokes popping up in my head (some of them related to Marvel comics). Perhaps I am a bit old-fashioned when it comes to FR names. Still, I liked the background info very much

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  13:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ophal of Amn. No, wait, not on the list. Obarskyr then.
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  00:43:31  Show Profile  Visit Halcyon's Homepage Send Halcyon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa, why is it the Obarskyrs are so popular? Maybe because they got Alusair included in it so voters chose Obarskyr?

*shrugs* I prefer the new and upcoming noble families for new ones tend to offer new perspectives and traits not seen in current existing nobilities, the Nihmedu family is the option for me (sorry did not vote for Nihmedus because I seemed to have clicked the wrong icons, oops, can't revote again), followed by the mysterious Tanthuls.

Edited by - Halcyon on 12 Dec 2005 00:47:22
Go to Top of Page

capheira
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  09:14:07  Show Profile  Visit capheira's Homepage Send capheira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I adore the Cormaerils, and I voted for them. It's seriously ballsy to attempt to assassinate Azoun IV, especially with Vangerdahast RIGHT there next to him ALL the time, and Purple Dragon Knights propping up every inch of every wall - and since Azoun wasn't a despot, he didn't kill them all and give the land to a younger child, he just exiled them and took all the possessions they held in the Forest Kingdom! In my campaign world, which of course is completely non-canon, they're related to the Bleths, and use the blood ties to slowly increase their influence in Cormyr. Of course, there were a lot of Cormaeril brides that came well-dowered to their quickly announced Bleth marriages with rich dowries, and a lot of land that's officially owned by the Realms equivalent of John Q. Public, Honest Merchant Trader, who pays all the taxes and has all the titles...except for the one that REALLY matters. And of course where would the family be without dear old Uncle Gareth in Waterdeep, who twists himself into knots so he can keep believing he's a paladin, really, he IS, promise, no, seriously, he loves Tyr, he really really does.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  20:24:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon

Whoa, why is it the Obarskyrs are so popular? Maybe because they got Alusair included in it so voters chose Obarskyr?

Yeah, but I like Filfaeril and the late King Azoun too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

butterflyght
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  03:54:37  Show Profile  Visit butterflyght's Homepage Send butterflyght a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted Obaskyr, though I agree with the Sage.

Malice Mizer. You know you love them.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  23:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said Baenre but was thinking Thann.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  12:09:09  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I woted mizzrym, (war of the spider queen), what a troubled family, but what a wizard they produced!! :)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  17:17:05  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I want to vote for them, but,.. what about the Uskevrens? Something about a dis-owned, disgraced, almost, wiped-out family of merchant-nobility clawing its way back from the streets to reclaim its lost position that appeals to me. But, then, I am a sucker for the underdogs... Anyhow, the Wyvernspurs Rock! or something like that... *hurries away into the shadows out of embarrassment for his unseemly outburst*

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  17:21:49  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*a voice from the shadows*

Off topic, I know, but getting back to the whole steel-hand thing... What was the name of the warrior from Temple Hill by Drew Karpshyn?, he had a metal arm I believe. Loved that story... *Voice trails off, with more embarrased muttering*

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  19:23:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant say I have thought much about which noble family is my favorite; I guess I would have to go with the Obarskyrs or the Thanns. It pretty much a dead race.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  21:29:53  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

What is your favorite noble family in the realms?

Barrison Del'Armgo. Mostly because I spent a lot of time DM-ing them and developed the family tree. I had it that Matron Mez'Barris fostered a cult of personality. Of course, it did help that she had crystals in the heads of her most powerful males.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  12:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite noble house in the realms? Starym house! Wait a moment...They arent here? No! So i chose Durothil.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  21:40:51  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Moonflower family. Nice name, nice persons. Though I like Baenre and Battlehammer too. But like Sage said, these kinds of polls are quite limited but of course i must vote!
Go to Top of Page

Lenora Ilvastarr
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  17:34:14  Show Profile Send Lenora Ilvastarr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't have a favorite noble/royal house. Although I must admit I have a certain fondness for the Ilvastarrs of Waterdeep. (As you can see by my name ).

There was just something about a family whose main professions are raising/breeding exotic animals. ("Hmmp, and you thought Uncle Firon was hard-headed before the basilisk breeding experiment...") and cooking exotic meats.

"Aww, Mother, dragon for eveningfeast again?!?"
"Now, dear, eat up. There's only 2 tendays worth of meat left."

Unfortunately, there isn't much about the Ilvastarrs out there outside the Waterdeep box set and the newer book, so I created a lot on my own. (Hmm, must remember to ask Ed Greenwood about them.)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  19:08:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of you sharing the self-created information on the Ilvastarrs with others of a curious disposition?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  01:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ajantis, the paladin who was a possible party member in BG1, was an Ilvastarr.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  16:31:37  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've voted Cormareil, assassin house is cool.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They aren't all assassins.

Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:33:40  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Baenre, but I would have voted Dlardrageth which is up there for me. Also for Cormyrian nobles I would have picked Wyvernspur with gods and werebeasts in the bloodline they gotta be good..

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  05:12:45  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted baenre because if their diversity but i actually hate the noble system. i prefer how it is in Calimport where the city is completely controlled by the diffrent Pashas and the guilds.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  16:46:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, the pashas are considered nobles...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  17:12:39  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another soul that must agree with the Sage

Too many good families to really choose from, but I think I've managed to break it down to two for the occassion:

From those included on the list only... Tanthul
Otherwise, I must say I find the Uskevren family to be the most interesting. Maybe it's they way their story is written or maybe it's the fact that there's simply more solid information to bias my opinion on, what with so many novels, but either way, they appeal to me the most.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2007 :  17:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House Tesper of Waterdeep... although this isn't a very objective choice, since I am playing a member of that family.

I also like the Wands family - every DM probably loves a noble house full of eccentric wizards.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  23:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this is a little late in coming from me, but...what's the point of voting for one's favorite noble family? Why not just favorite family?

Is there going to be a poll for "Favorite Non-noble Family", for instance? Why is noblility so important?

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Apr 2007 23:49:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  02:17:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Maybe this is a little late in coming from me, but...what's the point of voting for one's favorite noble family? Why not just favorite family?

Is there going to be a poll for "Favorite Non-noble Family", for instance? Why is noblility so important?

Perhaps it is because, by virtue of their nobility, noble families are more prominent. The Hawkwinters of Waterdeep, for example, occupy a more prominent position in the city than Chandelon the tailor and his family. I'm not saying that either family is more important to the setting, but the noble family is more well-known and connected, and have more wealth and influence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  13:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant "why is noblity important to readers"? The wealth and prominence of these families is, after all, fictional, and the question is asking which of these noble families is our favorite. Upon thought, I started to wonder what the question wasn't simply "What's your favorite family in the Realms?". Are we really so affected by the fictional wealth and fictional status of fictional characters? Nevermind that the list is selective rather than exhaustive.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 03 Apr 2007 18:19:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000