Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite noble family
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  12:49:34  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well of course, hasn't it been like 5,000 years in power? So yes, naturally the Baenres are in the Top 10 Royal/Noble families of Faerun.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  13:56:50  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Curiously the most interesting members of the house Baenre are the ones who are not "fond" of it, Jarlaxle, Gomph, Liriel...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  14:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course. We as readers see them as rebels, unique, special. They're a rubies in a pile of sapphires, they stand out, they're different.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  14:37:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol, where's the Agneh and Odesseiron families of Thay

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  16:04:19  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
The Old Matron Baenre, Gromph, and Triel were and are my favorites from House Baenre.

Bah, they are nothing compared to Jarlaxle

I don't consider Jarlaxle to a be a member, even though he is, and I forgot about Liriel.
To me Jarlaxle is tied to strongly to his own organization.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:01:55  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine's not on the list.

I can feel seven pairs of silvery eyes gazing at me with astonishment, trying to decide whether to be offended or pleased, but I'd make a case for considering House Silverhand to be de facto Faerūnian nobility. I have a soft spot for the Seven Sisters.

Other than that, I am fond of House Anrevale, House Calahadanasė and House Strange, but you have to play in my campaign to find out about those.

Edited by - Vangelor on 29 Nov 2005 09:03:31
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  16:41:49  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a Very special place in our hearts for the Wands Family, Specifically one Teritus Wands provides no ends of Mirth from that notable family

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  17:08:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

We have a Very special place in our hearts for the Wands Family, Specifically one Teritus Wands provides no ends of Mirth from that notable family

Tertius Wands is great! I was delighted to see the short stories about him and Ampi in the first couple Realms of anthologies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  04:52:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Other than that, I am fond of House Anrevale, House Calahadanasė and House Strange, but you have to play in my campaign to find out about those.
Hmmm... I have my suspicions about what exactly comprises House Strange .

Can you spare any details?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  10:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I favor the Tanthul noble family, an family of enigmatic and sophisticated beings that caught my fancy. I know they are not so numerous but what matters is that they have an eclectric and shady personality.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  10:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice to see you back!
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  10:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Tertius Wands is great! I was delighted to see the short stories about him and Ampi in the first couple Realms of anthologies.

You do realise that they are a parody/ripoff of Bertie Wooster and Reginald Jeeves (love the books and love the TVseries).

I would love to see a short story where Tertius meets either Giogi Wyvernspur or Danilo Thaan . Just think the possibilities if the biggest fopps in Faerun should meet .

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris“ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  11:26:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You do realise that they are a parody/ripoff of Bertie Wooster and Reginald Jeeves (love the books and love the TVseries).

I would love to see a short story where Tertius meets either Giogi Wyvernspur or Danilo Thaan . Just think the possibilities if the biggest fopps in Faerun should meet .

Actually, I did not know that. I'm not familiar with Wooster and Jeeves...

Tertius and Giogi would make a fun team.

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  17:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, I did not know that. I'm not familiar with Wooster and Jeeves...

In the Best of the Realms Book 1: Tertius and the artifact Jeff Grub says this and after it gives "a deep devoted nod to Wodehouse"

quote:
From the Best of the Realms Book 1: Tertius and the artifact
Bertie is an upper class twit of the first water, and Wodehouse's stories inevitably revolve around Bertie getting himself into a pickle, from which he can only be extracted with the aid of his unflappable manservant, Jeeves (You want to know why everyone calls butlers Jeeves? That's why).

It's a wonderful and very funny series from early 20th century England.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris“ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?

Edited by - Talanfir Swiftfeet on 02 Dec 2005 17:03:04
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  21:40:24  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm... I have my suspicions about what exactly comprises House Strange .

Can you spare any details?

I stole the name from history. The Stanleys were Barons of Strange in the time of Elizabeth I. But my family is different, of course. Also note that I have no qualms whatsoever in saddling the Waterdeep in my own campaign with noble houses, guilds, customs, controversies and laws of my own invention. So this is not at all canon, and I owe at least half of it to a very inventive player and old friend. Here is the skinny on the Stranges:

House Strange of Waterdeep began as a wizard family, but in time evolved into a more scholarly House. An old family that has spent most of the wealth it accumulated, House Strange is well-bred but not wealthy enough to play the social games of Waterdhavian nobility as brilliantly as some. It is well-thought-of, but unfashionable.

The last three Lords Strange were somewhat more adventurous than their bookish predecessors, if still possessed of the family curiosity. The first was a notable explorer, and his son made a name for himself undertaking delicate investigations for a select clientel, working with a handful of other clever, discrete and principled men and women as a business firm, Strange and Associates.

Tenemos Strange, the last lord, continued this family business, and pried into certain criminal affairs of which he heard rumor, making himself disliked by those wealthy nobles who profited from these shady dealings. What finally tipped the scales against him seems to have been his liason with the famed courtesan (and priestess, but how soon that is forgotten in the City of Scandals), Anrevale Alune. He contracted with her not only for exclusive enjoyment of her considerable charms, but also for a child to be his heir. She bore a daughter, whom he named Sarannan, and with her contract complete they went their separate ways, it is said, on the most cordial of terms.

(A part of Anrevale's fee is said to have been the support of House Strange in her own bid for nobiliary recognition. But the full tale of Anrevale Alune's career, from temple "handmaiden" to eminent social doyenne and founder of Waterdeep's youngest noble House cannot be told here. It is enough to say that the noble families of Waterdeep scandalized themselves by acceding lordly rank to Anrevale and her recognized offspring, and have been unsure what to think of them since.)

About six months later, Tenemos Strange disappered along with his associates, leaving the family villa vacant aside from servants and his infant daughter. He has never been found.

Thirty years have passed. In the intervening years, Sarannan Strange has been raised by her mother and her elder half-siblings. One particularly unfortunate incident between Sarannan and her half-drow half-brother (since accused of various crimes, and fled from Waterdeep) transmuted the flesh of her left hand to animate, articulated steel. Sarannan collects gloves, and prefers not to discuss it.

The nobility of Waterdeep had long debated whether Sarannan could legally inherit her father's title. Recently, the Temple of Siamorphe ruled that Sarannan's inheritance must be acknowledged - a triumph on her behalf of another of Anrevale's daughters, Tirannin, the eldest, who is a gifted priestess and well-placed in Siamorphe's clergy.

With her newly-granted patents of nobility and rights to the ancient Villa Strange, Sarannan has also begun to assemble a body of associates of her own, to investigate her father's disappearance, and to avenge his presumed death should it prove possible. Many wealthy and powerful people would be deeply embarrassed should she succeed. Needless to say, the task she has undertaken is fraught with perils, not just for Lady Strange, but for those who act as agents on her behalf...

Edited by - Vangelor on 07 Dec 2005 08:43:24
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  00:29:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*grins* Your story reminds me fondly of a character I recently created who also sometimes worked as a courtesan/mistress (for the money, of course, not because she was desperate for the love of wealthy nobles/Zhents in the Moonsea region).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  05:24:30  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anrevale & her children originated in my private campaign, but they fit well enough into the Realms that I just plunked them down into Waterdeep when I made the switch. Anrevale was motivated by genuine compassion, I think, though she was certainly a shrewd businesswoman, and a priestess of rare insight.

Sadly, Sarannan got her father's looks, but she carries it well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  06:30:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the bit about her hand. It's an intriguing touch. (No pun intended)

Have I ever mentioned I'm a fan of another Realms character with a metal hand: Baelam the Bold?

For some reason, the artificial hand thing is oddly fascinating to me. I've an NPC that was strongly inspired by the figure of the GI Joe B.A.T. It was the book The Drow of the Underdark that gave me the method I needed to pull off that idea.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:14:25  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have I ever mentioned I'm a fan of another Realms character with a metal hand: Baelam the Bold?

For some reason, the artificial hand thing is oddly fascinating to me. I've an NPC that was strongly inspired by the figure of the GI Joe B.A.T. It was the book The Drow of the Underdark that gave me the method I needed to pull off that idea.

But did he carry the extra arms to switch out in his kickin' backpack? And most importantly, did he have a hologram front?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  17:10:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:

But did he carry the extra arms to switch out in his kickin' backpack? And most importantly, did he have a hologram front?

C-Fb

No, I figured out a better method for the extra limbs. And there was no need for a hologram.

Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  07:49:31  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a great touch, and I don't feel bad about saying so, as it was my friend who came up with it. Probably why Sarannan has stayed in my mind.
quote:

I did not know there was an FR hero with the metal hand. But it should not surprise me. The archetype goes back to Irish legend. Come to think of it, I first read about Nuada of the Silver Hand in the original Dieties & Demigods, long, long ago, when our game books were clay tablets written in Cuneiform...

Edited by - Vangelor on 06 Dec 2005 18:30:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  11:31:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

I did not know there was an FR hero with the metal hand. But it should not surprise me. The archetype goes back to Irish legend. Come to think of it, I first read about Nuada of the Silver Hand in the original Dieties & Demigods, long, long ago, when our game bookes were clay tablets written in Cuneiform...

Yup. He first appeared in Dragon 172, in Ed's "Lone Wolves" article. He later appeared in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set.

Basic concept: He was a thief who lost his hand while stealing a unique automaton. He paid a wizard buddy to replace his hand with the one from the automaton. Later, he himself began studying the Art and became a skilled mage.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  14:33:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: Is Semmemnon from a noble family? Or did he just raise his position through his skill? I checked his 3e write-up and didn't see anything. I don't have the old Zhentil Keep box set, so I was wondering if he was in there.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  17:10:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Question: Is Semmemnon from a noble family? Or did he just raise his position through his skill? I checked his 3e write-up and didn't see anything. I don't have the old Zhentil Keep box set, so I was wondering if he was in there.

C-Fb

I don't recall any references to him being noble... I think it was all skill.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:38:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Both Ruins of Zhentil Keep and Semmemon's entry in the Villains' Lorebook tell us little about the suspected "noble" aspect of his history.

Perhaps the skill reflects his "Lordship" of the Darkhold.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Dec 2005 00:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  00:48:59  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool beans. I was just thinking if there was nobility per se in Zhentil Keep, they probably don't have the ruckus kind of parties that they have in Waterdeep. I thought Semmomnon might have been breaking the confines, which is why he left Darkhold.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  13:21:07  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt vote. Just too many families to choose from, eh hehehe (sarcasm). But, I dunno even if there werent so many.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  13:38:43  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose the BattleHammer family, for they are courageous and unyielding even in the face of great adversity. Their unwavering unity and common purpose makes them a strong, if not powerful enough family.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  14:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the Obaskyrs, but I have a great preference for the Amcathras, too.

Yes, this have something related with my character, Ollher Amcathra, Abjurer/Arcane Devotee of Siamorphe

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  01:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with the Moonflowers, probably based on how much I enjoyed Elaine's Evermeet.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000