Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite noble family
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  03:15:23  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
What is your favorite noble family in the realms?

Choices:

Moonflower
Baenre
Tanthul
Obarskyr
Durothil
Mizzrym
Cormaeril
Matrell
Do''Urden
Nimhedu
Alastrarra
Battlehammer

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Naeryndam on 26 Nov 2005 16:04:18

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  04:29:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a rather limited poll for such a broad question.

There are extensively more noble families in the Realms than just these. Besides, I don't feel like I can adequately express my particular interest in just one family, as they each have certain specific traits that I find intriguing -- the Thann family of Waterdeep for example, given their merchant shipping leanings and the other... the Royal House of Heltharn in Impiltur, for the intrigue and conflicts that have generally plagued this family and by extension the Realm of the Sword and the Wand.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  05:26:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Sage, don't be a poor sport. Just answer the man!

Baenre - all the way - but then again, everyone knows how I feel about Triel. *meow!*

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  05:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Durothil is on there twice.

Anyway, I agree with Sage, but I voted Obarskyr.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  06:45:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I agree with the Sage as well, but voted Matrell.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  07:22:50  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Baenre - all the way - but then again, everyone knows how I feel about Triel. *meow!*

C-Fb

That's two of us so far.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  07:41:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I did -- Thann and Heltharn .

As for the actual poll itself... Hmmm, Obarskyr.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Nov 2005 14:56:40
Go to Top of Page

Saime
Acolyte

Denmark
21 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  12:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Saime's Homepage Send Saime a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I voted Obarskyr. But I agree with Sage. It’s difficult to say why this particular family is more interesting than the others.

Adventure had seemed a grand thing a day ago...but he'd been thinking more of an adventure without mules.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  20:28:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for noble families, I don't think I have a particular fave...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  20:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's weird, it didn't make my reply here...

Anyways, why do you have so many Drow-Related royals?

Either way, I can't vote. There is to many fun royals to just pick one ;)

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  00:35:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was kind of what originally put me off answering this poll with any real certainty.

It seems biased toward drow noble families .

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  01:15:38  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that's a problem!?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  01:31:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, not if the drow are your favorite racial element of the Realms... no, I suppose it isn't.

But with all the recent focus on drow, it can grow tiresome for those of us wishing for a little more diversity .

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  02:32:36  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My apologies to all for the focus on Drow nobility. However, as you pointed out yourself Sage, Drow are currently the "trend" to write about, and as such are the first noble houses that came to mind.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  02:58:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought the Amcathras and Cassalantars were interesting, but then I love Waterdeep. I rarely think, however, that a whole family is facinating so much as the representatives. For example, without Mourngrym and (bah, getting old, memory failing) Danilo's friend, I doubt I would care one whit about the Amcathras, other than if I were wrting something based in Waterdeep and they were the most likely nobles to plug into the situation.

As far as dynasties go though, the Obarskyrs and rather interesting in that they have been THE only royal family of Cormyr thought its entire history.

Favorite is a difficult proposition in a case like this though. If its something in a novel or in my game that causes one of them to come up, I want to know as much about them as possible.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  03:54:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

My apologies to all for the focus on Drow nobility.
There's no need to apologise friend. We each have our own favorite aspects about the Realms .

quote:
However, as you pointed out yourself Sage, Drow are currently the "trend" to write about, and as such are the first noble houses that came to mind.
That's it... Use my own words against me .

Seriously though, the drow trend has been growing since the Year of the Drow back in 2002.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  04:06:53  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have to agree with the Sage that having to pick just one is a bit unfair.

I choose Baenre because they are the most intriguing in several ways for me.

For Drow Families, Baenre for sure.
For Elven Families, Moonflower.
For Human Families and so forth, that's where it gets to be more difficult.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  06:08:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I always thought the Amcathras and Cassalantars were interesting, but then I love Waterdeep. I rarely think, however, that a whole family is facinating so much as the representatives. For example, without Mourngrym and (bah, getting old, memory failing) Danilo's friend, I doubt I would care one whit about the Amcathras, other than if I were wrting something based in Waterdeep and they were the most likely nobles to plug into the situation.

Regnet.

I guess I could pick a noble family, but they're not on the list: the Hawkwinters of Waterdeep. The main reason I like them is because one of my fave characters (that I've played) was an illegitimate (and unacknowledged) son of that family.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  11:40:35  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would choose the Wyvernspur as my favourite noble family, Giogi, Cat, Dorath and of course Finder... what amount of famous members.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  16:47:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I would choose the Wyvernspur as my favourite noble family, Giogi, Cat, Dorath and of course Finder... what amount of famous members.

Another good choice! I am a particular fan of Finder, Giogionni, and Cat, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  17:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about more Waterdeep houses. I would have picked Thann or Wands houses

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  19:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Good points. If it wasn't for Danilo, I probably wouldn't know or care all that much about the Thanns, either.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  19:55:25  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go Baenre!!!!

Just had to throw that in!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

jean-loup
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  22:52:42  Show Profile  Visit jean-loup's Homepage Send jean-loup a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm agree too with many,but perhaps add family like Persakarl
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  00:58:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

What about more Waterdeep houses. I would have picked Thann or Wands houses

Actually, the Wands family are a group that I've always wanted to include in a Waterdeep-based campaign. Their interests in "dweomercraft for-hire" could prove quite useful for parties exploring in the City of Splendors which don't have a permanent mage of their own.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  01:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
either way you look at it baenre is just incredible

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  02:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Sorry, but they've never particularly impressed me.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  02:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See, there are memorable members of House Baenre, certainly, but I look at people in the Realms as individuals, not necessarily members of their household.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  04:01:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd have to agree with that.

I mean, Gromph has his moments, but not enough of them for me to justify a particular leaning toward House Baenre as a whole.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  05:27:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd have to agree with that.

I mean, Gromph has his moments, but not enough of them for me to justify a particular leaning toward House Baenre as a whole.

The Old Matron Baenre, Gromph, and Triel were and are my favorites from House Baenre.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  07:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
The Old Matron Baenre, Gromph, and Triel were and are my favorites from House Baenre.

Bah, they are nothing compared to Jarlaxle

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000