Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realmsifying your spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  14:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering what names people use for spells that have specific non-faerunian names. It's easy when it's the deities, Mystra's Blessed Book, Quiver of Mielikki, etc...

What I'm looking for are spells like
Mordenkainen's...
Bigby's...
Nystul's...
Tasha's...

I'm sure I'm missing a few but you guys get the gist.

Do you usually name them after a powerful PC, former PC, or NPC from your home realms, Do you name them after famous wizards like the Chosen of Mystra, or Do you do something all together different?

Generally we try to come up with Realmsian names but it doesn't always sound right.

Just looking for other ideas, thanks.

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  15:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the Netheril: Empire of Magic box. I vaguely remember that some spells' creators are listed in there.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  16:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah in the netheril box it says that bigby mordenkainen etc are all archmages of netheril... it says that Ioun stones come from this guy Ioulomn as well (sp?) anyway its an interesting idea that we got these spells from so long ago etc.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  17:28:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

yeah in the netheril box it says that bigby mordenkainen etc are all archmages of netheril...

Are you sure about that? I just checked the pdf of that boxed set (available for free on the Wizards downloads page), and I found no such reference.

Those spells were named by their creators; if the creator came from another world, either he brought the spell to the Realms or others did. At least, that's how it was in 2E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  01:12:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they make a point of mentioning in the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback that several Oerth wizards have been to Faerun and vice versa. However, the Netheril boxed set does give the names for a lot of popular spells as they were named in the time of Netheril.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  03:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things Ed and Eric and I have tried to slip in here and there is the idea that all spells once had someone's name attached to them, if you look far enough back. Time once was, Perigon's Pulchritudinous Pulse was the name a haughty mage of Jhaamdath named what we now call magic missile, etc. You can do this with nearly any spell, which was one of the reasons I wrote who knew the spells I wrote in City of Splendors all those years ago--the more common and widespread the spell, the more apt it would be to lose its honorific and become "uncommon" or "common" in use.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  21:57:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, more recent spells in Thay have come from the names.... if you want to keep names to spells in specific areas <g>
Sleyvas
Targuth
Flarik
Shenandra
Tallus the Black

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  22:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Generally, arcane spells named after people are named after the spellcaster that created them. A sidebar in Magic of Faerun 3E gives some names of different spell creators. I don't have the book handy, so I'm not sure what page it's on.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:33:40  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weren't Khelben and Bigby once romantic rivals and Khelben designed some of his spells to specificly counteract Bigby's various "hand" spells?

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  16:17:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I beleive that was Khelbun's Warding Whip . . . but it was Mordenkainen and Vangerdahast that competed over an extra planar beauty, as mentioned in Forgotten Realms Adventures (2nd Edition).
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  18:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks KnightErrantJR, I finally dug the book up, and your right it was Mordenkainen and Vandy. She must have been quite the looker since they both lost. I guess Bigby and Khelben don't like each other judging by Khelben's quip, "The old goat comes up with one good gimick, and beats it to death with a rock"

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  18:25:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh heh, I love Khelbun, but he's a cranky one . . .
Go to Top of Page

Igneus Animus
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  19:10:17  Show Profile Send Igneus Animus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, they make a point of mentioning in the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Adventures hardback that several Oerth wizards have been to Faerun and vice versa. However, the Netheril boxed set does give the names for a lot of popular spells as they were named in the time of Netheril.

Yes, Melf is a good example of an Oerth wizard who has a named spell. But I'm curious; Are all the "Khelben" titled spells developed by Khelben the Elder? Or has Khelben "Ravencloak" some spells named after him (Spells, that inevitably are credited to Khelben the Elder anyway)?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000