Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psionics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  13:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Now, has anyone ever played a psion? I havn't and I dont have the psionics handbook. I would like to have a little bit of info on them. Strengths, weaknesses, and the like.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  14:36:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there are different types of Psions, just like their are different classes normally. Some of them (Psychic Warrior) are more focused on martial combat and use their Psionics to buffer their combat prowess.

On the other hand, the Psion class is what everyone usually thinks of as a Psionic User. The class is fun to play because it's a little different than the rest.

I loved the 3E Psionics Handbook, but have a lot of trouble with the update in 3.5 Expanded Ps. HB. I just think they psions a great disservice. They changed around a lot of the systems - why? I think to balance the game, but I never min/max, so I don't know if 3E was susceptible to it.

If you need any exact specifics, feel free to ask (Can't answer at work though - my company might not take to kind to me reading D&D at my desk )

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  15:29:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being the DM, I've only had chance to play a few NPC psions and psychic warriors. However, one of my players was a dark elf psychic warrior. I must say that the psionics opened up some very interesting options, while keeping him still limited to a few powers. The 3.5 edition closed off some glaring holes (the vampiric weapon one that lasted for hours being one thing that comes to mind).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  13:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just saying, remember the R.A. Salvatore book "The servant of the Shard"? Well in it, Drizzt wasx fighting Artemis in the tower made by the crystal. During the fight, a psion used a power on Artemis that rebounded Drizzt's attack back on himself (Sword through the gut) I was just saying thats rather powerful, huh?

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The House of Serpents trilogy also features psionic characters, and they are written in a way that makes them both accessible and interesting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am playing a psion currently in a friend's campaign. I had both versions of the Psionic Handbook since they came out but had never touched them until recently. But I was looking to try something new.

I find playing a Psion surprisingly fun. The class is a lot like sorcerer. It is basically a spontaneous caster with a different spell list and different mechanics and flavor. You can have a psi-crystal instead of a familiar. I haven't quite figured out how to use the psi-crystal to full advantage. But the class itself is a lot of fun.

There are some great blasting powers that make you effective in combat (at a distance) and the class is very versatile, you can tailor your character in a lot of different ways.

I have been using psionic charm to great advantage as well, and my character seems to be specializing in infiltration and persuasion.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  22:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Downsides: Powers aren't as powerful as sorcerer and wizard spells

Upsides: Psionic attacks (like powers, but specially for psionic battle against other psionic creatures), spontaneous casting like sorcerer, ability to manifest powers without moving or speaking, and of course, the versatility of power points.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  15:57:45  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

Downsides: Powers aren't as powerful as sorcerer and wizard spells

"It`s not the size that matters, it`s how you use it"

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  23:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, khorne. Powers are more versatile, which does give them more power, in a way.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000