Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monk of the long death vs Raise Dead
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  06:36:29  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my player is a monk of this order (he's not in the prc) and last session another monk of the order (npc) was with the group.

This other member was desintegrated by a Death Tyrant... the player took the ashes of course.

I've read 2 times their description in LoD, PgtF and a Silver Marches Web bonus, but I'm really not sure what is their philosophy about raising their member back to life..

She was a Loviatar worshiper and he's slowly becoming a Talona worshiper (from faithless).

Thanks for any suggestion.

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  11:43:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's the individual characters call. I don't think there is anything that states they have to raise everyone who dies...if that was the case we would never lose anyone from the order.

The way the character died is also significant. Since the character was disintegrated it will take a pretty expensive spell to bring the person back, as simple raise dead does not work with disintegrations if I remember correctly.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  14:38:17  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very correct, I think a 9th level True Resurrection is needed. You could always have them just take the ashes back to the monastary to wait for resurrection rather than have the PC purchase the very expensive spell.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  15:41:38  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only a Resurrection is needed, the party is around level 12-13, so it would not be too much difficult to find a way to get it.

But.. I'm more looking to explain to my player the order's philosophy about death..

quote:
From the SRD

Resurrection
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 7
Casting Time: 10 minutes

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature.

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

Edited by - Skeptic on 08 Nov 2005 15:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  22:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think it's the individual characters call. I don't think there is anything that states they have to raise everyone who dies...if that was the case we would never lose anyone from the order.

This is not quite accurate. You cannot raise or ressurect those who have died of old age. And monks do die of old age, even if they have reached high levels, it's just that at high levels they gain the ability to not age.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  00:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a philosophical level I dont think the Monks of the Long Death would object to raising the dead. While the Monks are obsessed with death and pain that doesnt mean they wouldnt raise some one, after all the monks seek to understand death and what better way is there to learn than to hear from someone who has actually died and has first hand knowledge about the experience

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000