Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Power Throw
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  22:29:59  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am looking for a lively discription for this class feature from the Hammer of Moradin.

Literally I would asume that: can hurl his warhammer with such force that it plows on past creatures struck by it means, that the Hammer makes a furrow - that won't be

So, do you think, that the force of the throw pushes aside the opponents? I don't believe that they are knocked over, or that the hammer bounces, but how can the hammer continue in a straigth line. Even more if one of the first opponents in the line has a higher AC then the ranged attack.
I would thank yee for every explanation.

(I first thought about sending a personal mail to Hammer of Moradin - maybe he has some first hand experience - but maybe there is somebody else with an answer)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  00:11:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say that the hammer hit in such a manner as to do damage but continue its flight... For example, it could hit the chest of someone while he's partially turned, so it would do damage but keep on moving because it was essentially a glancing impact. Or it could clip a limb or the head as it flew past...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  19:06:11  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember, also, that AC includes dexterity bonuses, as well as deflection bonuses. I think you may be viewing this as a general deflection type miss if the AC of the opponent is higher. They may actually do as Wooly says, or they might just get out of the path of the hammer. If you ever read a Thor comic, then you know the results of such an attack!
I think you have to take it case by case. A bunch of orcs would be bowled over by this attack, and unless the Hammer rolls a one, I think they would all be toast. If there is a red dragon 10 feet away, and the attack does not succeed, maybe you can say the armor of the Wyrm protected it, but it was pushed back to 60 feet by the force of the blow. Now if there was a wall 30 feet back, you run into trouble. Some might say that if it hits a creature that is not 'hit', then maybe that creature acts as the immovable object, and the hammer strike stops there.
I like Wooly's explanation. It glances off of the armor of the creature that it misses, continuing on its way to the 60 foot range.

DM: The hammer of Moradin throws his warhammer down the narrow passage, and everyone is in the path of the Power Throw. Bob, as the tank of the party, you actually just miss taking damage. However, the force of the blow causes you to rock back and to the left against the wall. You are grateful for the push, as Fred, the Arcane Archer extraordinairre, now has a hole where his chest used to be. Jane, the elf wizardess needs a new head. Sam, the master sneak thief, also gets lucky and falls prone just as the hammer reaches its limit. It arcs back along the top of the passage, returning to the dwarf as he reaches you Bob. Good luck against his Thunder Strike, buddy.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  22:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another thing to think about. When something hits you hard, you stagger. This doesn't mean you fall. You might move to the side, bend down, something like that.

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  17:33:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just take all the desciptions that Salvatore makes for when Wulfgar throws Aegis-Fang - it blasts right by people and continues its hurtling path.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Tifus Artwin
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  07:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Tifus Artwin's Homepage Send Tifus Artwin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id have to agree with C-FB on this one. I would see the hammer knocking those it hits to the side as it continues along its path of mild destruction. If the opponent is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, then yea maybe it would blast a hole in thier chest, other wise they would be turned aside while the hammer spins on by them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000