Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Zaphkiel the Watcher
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zephiel
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  23:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Zephiel's Homepage Send Zephiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi there as my first post I was wondering who Zaphkiel the Watcher was. I was reading about Celestials and saw the name of "Zaphkiel the Watcher" frequently. Sources state that he is the ultimate force of good in the realms. Just who is he? How powerful is he compared to powerful NPC's like , Elminster, Shurrupak or Larloch? Thanks for any answers!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  01:42:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zaphkiel is a member of the Hebdomad, a council made up of tome archons who each rule a particular layer of Mt Celestia -- almost equivalent to the positions of power held by the Lords of the Nine in Baator. The Watcher presides over the Seventh Layer -- the Illuminated Heaven of Chronias -- and is head of the Hebdomad.

His most recent update was included with the other members of the council in the 3e Book of Exalted Deeds. The 2e PLANESCAPE boxed set, Planes of Law, also contains quite a bit about him and his role in the Seven Heavens. On Hallowed Ground, another PS supplement has a few tidbits, as does Monster Mythology... another 2e tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zephiel
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  02:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Zephiel's Homepage Send Zephiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I see. So he would be the good equivalent to Asmodeus? How would he compare with Faerun's NPC's in terms of powers? How does he deal with his enemies?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  04:03:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So he would be the good equivalent to Asmodeus?
In terms of the planar hierarchy for the Seven Heavens, yes. But he isn't the exact opposite of everything Asmodeus represents. I don't like relating such epic beings to each other, and the Lord of the Ninth is supposed to be a mysterious and unknown element in the planes. Defining Asmodeus in terms of his relationship with Zaphkiel works against what makes Asmodeus a special case for consideration. And not only that, Zaphkiel's position likely puts him far above the everyday concerns of the outer planes... leaving the various contentions the celestials have with the fiends... to his myriad underlings.

quote:
How would he compare with Faerun's NPC's in terms of powers? How does he deal with his enemies?
I'm not all that up on 3e power rankings and the like... I'll let someone else field those particular mechanics questions.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  17:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just on a technical level, Zaphkiel is Challenge Rating 32. So that should give you an idea as to where he ranks against other powerful NPC's.

But he is the leader of the race of Archons. He is one of the most powerful celestial paragons. He can muster the hosts of heaven. He is allied with Tyr, Ilmater, Helm, Torm, Siamorphe, and a bunch of other good deities. His influence and personal power are a great deal more extensive than can be represented by his challenge rating.
Go to Top of Page

Zephiel
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  19:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Zephiel's Homepage Send Zephiel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here I have a quote from him from http://www.sulerin.com/creatures/creatures.asp?op=open&a=20031105Zaphkiel

"Large Outsider (Good, Lawful, Archon, Extraplanar)
121056"

"A golden skinned and white platinum winged angelic being who presides over the seventh layer of Celestia, the Illuminated Heaven of Chronias. It embodies perfect good and only the most exalted creatures can stand in its presence without being consumed."

If all creatures who stand before its prescence are consumed, shouldn't he have a much higher challenge rating, and he is the Lord of Chronias. Strange...

Anyways thanks a lot for the info. This guy was always pretty mysterious, and I couldn't read about celestial paragons since I am too cheap to afford the manuals

Sources: Book of Exalted Deeds
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000