Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Red Flags
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  02:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Winterfox...poor late husband.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  03:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I personally tire of the "Is Cormyr Camelot?" threads.

And frankly, I don't get why Cormyr is so often compared with Camelot to begin with. I really don't see that much of a resemblance.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  11:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of all of them, I'd steer most clear of a 'How to kill El (et al)' thread. That, however, does not say much about the rest of the topics.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  06:26:46  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely the ¡°How to Kill El¡± threads, methinks. For me (and perhaps a great many others as well), Elminster is the face of the Realms. It was El that told the countless tales of the Realms, rather than being an uber-powerful figure in the Realms (such as The Simbul), El comes across as more of the storyteller of the Realms. I can¡¯t see how even overly ambitious players such as those can bear to kill the one thing that is constant in their world. Furthermore, the munchkin characters and the motive of the players that play them irk me beyond measure (if I ever hear another mentioning of ¡°My 100th level mage with 1000d6 damage-dealing epic spells¡±¡­ *shudders*).

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:15:19  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

My votes for the Drizzt section.

Mine, too. I think I'm developing a nervous tic when I see too may D's and Z's and T's close to each other.

quote:
Trying to Kill Elminster threads are a hoot compared to "OMG!!1!!11 DWIZTT WAH RULES!!!!! I WANNA CARRY HE BABEEE!" threads.

Least you can often hear about how Elminster is a dirty old man ;) LOL

...And we'll still be hearing about Drizzt when he is a dirty old man...

Edited by - Vangelor on 29 Nov 2005 09:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:22:34  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow.

Plato argues quite convincingly that there is a world out there with Mystra & Friends, necessarily, because we can have a conversation about them, or more accurately because we share the idea. Don't they teach Metaphysics in school these days?

The Forgotten Realms setting was built on the notion of gates between worlds (and our own, amongst them) before there was a D&D to play in it, or so sayeth Ed.

Edited by - Vangelor on 29 Nov 2005 09:23:53
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I don't think fantasy should ever cross into the real world - kind of makes it seem a bit weird. And let's face it, if anyone caught wind of people with supernatural power on this planet, they'd be locked down immediately - unless you wanted to make an X-files episode of it or something..

C-Fb

I'm trying to imagine some sort of technologically-possible lockdown for Elminster or my own epic spellcaster character, but I really fail to see how that would be possible with silent still greater teleport and contingency: teleport spells available :D

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  14:28:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR vs. real world - what a waste of words, really! My opinion...

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Acolyte

39 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  20:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Drizzt. It gets really annoying real fast when you know fans of his in real life. Drizzt this, Drizzt dat, Drizzt zzz-ing on a drizzly day...

It's bad enough seeing people misspell the name, but hearing the mispronunciations gets the ears bleeding and gets you showered with spitzzzz.

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  20:47:18  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate them all, and vote that anyone who posts such topics should be burned at the stake.

Twice.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  05:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it is any "Who is the most powerful" type of thread.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  07:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

quote:

We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow.

The Forgotten Realms setting was built on the notion of gates between worlds (and our own, amongst them) before there was a D&D to play in it, or so sayeth Ed.

Aye...and it tis a shame that WOTC got it in to their heads to remove those notions with the 3.X cosmology

Personally I hate threads that start out like: Realms VS. XXX Campaign - Which one is better?

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  22:54:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Personally I hate threads that start out like: Realms VS. XXX Campaign - Which one is better?

It's silly to argue which one is better, IMO, but those threads can be quite interesting to see what it is that draws people to certain settings.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  16:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would weep furiously the day Eliminster died. Furiously I say! I think Ed Greenwood says it best (sadly can't recall the proper quote but I remember he spoke on the subject many a time). It is ridiculous to game constantly with the sole purpose to eventually kill Eliminster, unless of course you are a Zhent, Red Wizard, Maulagrym, Shar worshipper, and etc (long list of enemies insert here). Still ridiculous though. Eliminster caringly keeps Faerun together at the stitches. Why kill him? It is immature and foolhardy.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  10:07:24  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i voted the kill elle thing, and campains where char plan to TRY to kill the greybeard, is mainly because the dm makes him an awailable target. Oh by the way: greetings and well met all, this is my first posting! =)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  11:00:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, well, than a most warm and friendly welcome to you Zimme!
May Our Lady of the Forest smile upon thee and may the great Lord of Knowlegde and Binder of what is known always grant thou His blessings.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  11:07:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zimme

Oh by the way: greetings and well met all, this is my first posting! =)

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:41:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Zimme, and welcome to Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  11:14:27  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How to Kill Elminster.... (could be any chosen)

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  14:39:43  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All Things Drizzt...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2008 :  20:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]

I just avoid these topics as I avoid the Running the Realms and Adventuring topics in CK because the lore we find there are not canon.
Simply !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  01:43:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I just avoid these topics as I avoid the Running the Realms and Adventuring topics in CK because the lore we find there are not canon.
Not necessarily. Unless the scribe has specifically noted a deviation from accepted canon in what he/she has posted, we can usually expect that most of what is discussed on these shelves relates to official [and canon] Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  11:49:05  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]

Simply !

A lore question could just as easily come up on these forums, but most often they are tied to the gaming side of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  12:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

we can usually expect that most of what is discussed on these shelves relates to official [and canon] Realmslore.

I agree Sage, but as you write, we CAN EXPECT that MOST OF...
But it's only details. I have to admit thaht indeed, most of those adventures stay within canon universe.
I just want to be sure I read official data.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  15:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's fun to see how other people use the setting. Canon or not, the threads in the gaming forums aren't as obnoxious as stuff like "Elminster and Drizzt, who would win?"

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 May 2008 15:50:07
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2008 :  20:04:42  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think it's fun to see how other people use the setting. Canon or not, the threads in the gaming forums aren't as obnoxious as stuff like "Elminster and Drizzt, who would win?"

obnoxious ? a moment please...
*an English-French dictionary use later*
Oh yes ! Of course Miss !
Those threads (Those / These ) are simply stupid !
They are threads for... euh... we say "Gros-Bill" in French : "The brains of the canary and the fire power of the nuclear aircraft carrier"
You know, those PC who have all the possible (or not) artefacts, all the weapons, all the scrolls, all the spells, who hunt experience, want to be the most powerful PC of the world !
Those who play for numbers and not to live their character...
How could I say it in English ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  01:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
obnoxious ? a moment please...
*an English-French dictionary use later*
Oh yes ! Of course Miss !
Those threads (Those / These ) are simply stupid !
They are threads for... euh... we say "Gros-Bill" in French : "The brains of the canary and the fire power of the nuclear aircraft carrier"

Indeed.

quote:
You know, those PC who have all the possible (or not) artefacts, all the weapons, all the scrolls, all the spells, who hunt experience, want to be the most powerful PC of the world !
Those who play for numbers and not to live their character...
How could I say it in English ?

Hmm, how about "Roll-player?" I'll admit, the first word that popped into my head was "powergamer". But then someone is bound to come by and say, "NOOOOOOO! It's possible to roleplay and powergame, I've done it lots of times", and I don't want to spark that debate.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 30 May 2008 01:24:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  01:49:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But it's only details. I have to admit thaht indeed, most of those adventures stay within canon universe.
I just want to be sure I read official data.
Well, that shouldn't be a problem then, since most scribes tend to conform to the official lore more often than not.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  20:30:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't, but I will always make clear if it is canon, speculations around the same or pure personal lore. This seems to be the common practise.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000