Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Red Flags
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31508 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  11:30:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Why would you want to come to Earth if you were a Chosen? You'd be kind of reduced in power somewhat.

C-Fb

How so? Magic still functions here, at least for them. And it's not like they have to shed the divine power when they step thru the portal -- it's still with them.

Laeral, Khelben, and Qilué have visited Steven Schend. Ed has been visited by Elminster and the Simbul, as well as the non-Realms mages Dalamar and Mordenkainen. I believe Ed has been visited by all the sisters, actually... And didn't Volo once get to put in an appearance on Earth?

Where has this all been mentioned?

Mostly in Dragon magazine. Steven had frequent visitors while working at TSR. El has been popping in on Ed for years, and for a while, he, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar were meeting regularly at Ed's place. Those meetings were in the Wizards Three series of articles.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31696 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Mostly in Dragon magazine. Steven had frequent visitors while working at TSR. El has been popping in on Ed for years, and for a while, he, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar were meeting regularly at Ed's place. Those meetings were in the Wizards Three series of articles.
Issues of note being:- #185, #188, #196, #200, #211, #219, #238, #242, #246.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:36:03  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think fantasy should ever cross into the real world - kind of makes it seem a bit weird. And let's face it, if anyone caught wind of people with supernatural power on this planet, they'd be locked down immediately - unless you wanted to make an X-files episode of it or something..

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:45:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, if nothing else it helps explain why there are Norse, Egyptian, Finnish, and Summerian gods in the setting, as well as cultures that seem like they have a common genesis with said cultures in our own world. Plus it can give you an excuse to throw in a modern element once in a while, as long as you do so sparringly.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:55:04  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I meant bringing the Chosen over to Earth. That just sits weird with me, you know? I don't mind if you base some countries on some real world equivalents or such, but to bring signature characters over - strange. And if someone did come over, how come Triel Baenre has yet to visit me?

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 17 Nov 2005 14:59:07
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she did . . . Kianna might have answered the door that day . . .

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 17 Nov 2005 15:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage  Click to see Kianna's MSN Messenger address Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Hey Hey.... I deny everything!

You know, Anne Rice swore up and down she got visits from Lestat....

Weird-o.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  16:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

Hey Hey Hey.... I deny everything!

You know, Anne Rice swore up and down she got visits from Lestat....

And calls herself the Bride of Lestat, and in fact bases the Brat Prince off of her late husband. Poor late husband.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  19:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol. I love the idea of bringing signature characters over - but none of us can argue against this, no matter how far fetch'd the idea is - We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow. We can't confirm or deny, we can only say :)

I mean...c'mon. Ed has to of gotten these ideas all these years ago by someone(s) ;)

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  20:00:21  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I am going to stick with this fact called, uhm, science for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters - but that was almost an Anne Rice notion, as was mentioned above.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  02:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage  Click to see Kianna's MSN Messenger address Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Winterfox...poor late husband.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  03:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I personally tire of the "Is Cormyr Camelot?" threads.

And frankly, I don't get why Cormyr is so often compared with Camelot to begin with. I really don't see that much of a resemblance.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  11:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of all of them, I'd steer most clear of a 'How to kill El (et al)' thread. That, however, does not say much about the rest of the topics.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  06:26:46  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely the ¡°How to Kill El¡± threads, methinks. For me (and perhaps a great many others as well), Elminster is the face of the Realms. It was El that told the countless tales of the Realms, rather than being an uber-powerful figure in the Realms (such as The Simbul), El comes across as more of the storyteller of the Realms. I can¡¯t see how even overly ambitious players such as those can bear to kill the one thing that is constant in their world. Furthermore, the munchkin characters and the motive of the players that play them irk me beyond measure (if I ever hear another mentioning of ¡°My 100th level mage with 1000d6 damage-dealing epic spells¡±¡­ *shudders*).

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Vangelor's Homepage Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

My votes for the Drizzt section.

Mine, too. I think I'm developing a nervous tic when I see too may D's and Z's and T's close to each other.

quote:
Trying to Kill Elminster threads are a hoot compared to "OMG!!1!!11 DWIZTT WAH RULES!!!!! I WANNA CARRY HE BABEEE!" threads.

Least you can often hear about how Elminster is a dirty old man ;) LOL

...And we'll still be hearing about Drizzt when he is a dirty old man...

Edited by - Vangelor on 29 Nov 2005 09:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Vangelor's Homepage Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow.

Plato argues quite convincingly that there is a world out there with Mystra & Friends, necessarily, because we can have a conversation about them, or more accurately because we share the idea. Don't they teach Metaphysics in school these days?

The Forgotten Realms setting was built on the notion of gates between worlds (and our own, amongst them) before there was a D&D to play in it, or so sayeth Ed.

Edited by - Vangelor on 29 Nov 2005 09:23:53
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  09:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage  Send Darkheyr an ICQ Message  Click to see Darkheyr's MSN Messenger address Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I don't think fantasy should ever cross into the real world - kind of makes it seem a bit weird. And let's face it, if anyone caught wind of people with supernatural power on this planet, they'd be locked down immediately - unless you wanted to make an X-files episode of it or something..

C-Fb

I'm trying to imagine some sort of technologically-possible lockdown for Elminster or my own epic spellcaster character, but I really fail to see how that would be possible with silent still greater teleport and contingency: teleport spells available :D

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  14:28:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR vs. real world - what a waste of words, really! My opinion...

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Torkael
Seeker

39 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  20:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Torkael's Homepage Send Torkael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Drizzt. It gets really annoying real fast when you know fans of his in real life. Drizzt this, Drizzt dat, Drizzt zzz-ing on a drizzly day...

It's bad enough seeing people misspell the name, but hearing the mispronunciations gets the ears bleeding and gets you showered with spitzzzz.

"No, I will not create a song dedicated to dancing dwarves. Especially dwarves worshipping Eilistraee." - Tenasa the bard
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  20:47:18  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate them all, and vote that anyone who posts such topics should be burned at the stake.

Twice.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  05:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it is any "Who is the most powerful" type of thread.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  07:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

quote:

We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow.

The Forgotten Realms setting was built on the notion of gates between worlds (and our own, amongst them) before there was a D&D to play in it, or so sayeth Ed.

Aye...and it tis a shame that WOTC got it in to their heads to remove those notions with the 3.X cosmology

Personally I hate threads that start out like: Realms VS. XXX Campaign - Which one is better?

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  22:54:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Personally I hate threads that start out like: Realms VS. XXX Campaign - Which one is better?

It's silly to argue which one is better, IMO, but those threads can be quite interesting to see what it is that draws people to certain settings.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  16:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would weep furiously the day Eliminster died. Furiously I say! I think Ed Greenwood says it best (sadly can't recall the proper quote but I remember he spoke on the subject many a time). It is ridiculous to game constantly with the sole purpose to eventually kill Eliminster, unless of course you are a Zhent, Red Wizard, Maulagrym, Shar worshipper, and etc (long list of enemies insert here). Still ridiculous though. Eliminster caringly keeps Faerun together at the stitches. Why kill him? It is immature and foolhardy.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  10:07:24  Show Profile  Click to see Zimme's MSN Messenger address Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i voted the kill elle thing, and campains where char plan to TRY to kill the greybeard, is mainly because the dm makes him an awailable target. Oh by the way: greetings and well met all, this is my first posting! =)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000