Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Red Flags
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  18:01:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

I avoid all of those as well as
any threads that have "mipselings ina tytle "

For me, that depends on the misspelling in question. Some Realms names/words just aren't easy to spell correctly... Besides, misspellings can happen for a number of reasons.

Although... It can be quite funny to see someone talking about how he's a huge Drizzt fan, but then misspells the name twice in one post -- and those two misspellings didn't match each other!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Nov 2005 18:03:05
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Especially if they get published - then they can go on and on about their characters - but hey, people still read those books!

C-Fb

And heck, there are plenty of published characters that annoy me, as you well know.

quote:
Although... It can be quite funny to see someone talking about how he's a huge Drizzt fan, but then misspells the name twice in one post -- and those two misspellings didn't match each other!

I agree. If those people are such huge Drizzt fans, how come they can't even spell his name right? It's only six letters.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:18:27  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

*deadpan* Drizzit.

It amuses me every time I see that in a self-proclaimed fan's post. "Elminister" seems to be a favourite, as well.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:20:12  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you split that name up - he becomes El Minister - which is obviously a spanish what to call him the man.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One time someone called him "The Elminister". But to be fair, it was someone who didn't know much about the character.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:33:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it is "The Simbul!" Maybe Elminster passed down the title, kind of like a championship belt or something like that.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Simbul gets her name spelled "The Symbul", "The Simbol", "The Symbol" and so on a lot, too, come to think of it.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  21:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

The Simbul gets her name spelled "The Symbul", "The Simbol", "The Symbol" and so on a lot, too, come to think of it.

I've seen some of those too.

Man, this thread is giving me some much needed laughs!

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  22:14:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if they all had those names it be funny - what if the Seven started to refer to themselves in the 3rd person:

"The Alustriel wants The Dove to go to the north and help defeat goblins"

"The Dove thinks that is a good idea"

That would so rule.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  15:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

My votes for the Drizzt section. Trying to Kill Elminster threads are a hoot compared to "OMG!!1!!11 DWIZTT WAH RULES!!!!! I WANNA CARRY HE BABEEE!" threads.

Least you can often hear about how Elminster is a dirty old man ;) LOL

Thanks alot Slime Lord, you made me laugh out loud at work!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  16:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bows* My pleasure as always :)

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  16:14:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally tire of the "Is Cormyr Camelot?" threads. I think they are completely ridiculous, unless Ed (or any author for that matter) is from a planet far far away, he or she will certainly be influenced by cultures, history, mythology, etc. of our world.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2005 :  19:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the x vs y.

Another huge red flag for me are topics like "who is the most powerful mage, fighter, etc"

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2005 :  23:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't read any scrolls about where on Earth places in Faerun are based on. First of all, Earth doesn't exist here! But, besides that, it's pretty obvious where most of the places in Faerun are based on Earth. But that's what's special about Faerun! It's based on Earth, so it's not completely weird and abstract, but it's still got some really cool additions and changes!

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  00:01:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

I don't read any scrolls about where on Earth places in Faerun are based on. First of all, Earth doesn't exist here! But, besides that, it's pretty obvious where most of the places in Faerun are based on Earth. But that's what's special about Faerun! It's based on Earth, so it's not completely weird and abstract, but it's still got some really cool additions and changes!

Incorrect on multiple counts. Several Realms characters (mostly Chosen of Mystra) have visited Earth. And in Ed's original Realms, nothing was based on an Earth culture. It's only the bolt-ons that were later added that were based on parts of Earth.

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  00:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wah? Chosens have actually been to earth...? I mean, I knew Elmisnter has looked upon it, but I never knew they had actually been to..

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  01:27:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

Wah? Chosens have actually been to earth...? I mean, I knew Elmisnter has looked upon it, but I never knew they had actually been to..

Yup, as have the Knights of Myth Drannor. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  03:22:09  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would you want to come to Earth if you were a Chosen? You'd be kind of reduced in power somewhat.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  06:56:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why would you want to come to Earth if you were a Chosen? You'd be kind of reduced in power somewhat.

C-Fb

How so? Magic still functions here, at least for them. And it's not like they have to shed the divine power when they step thru the portal -- it's still with them.

Laeral, Khelben, and Qilué have visited Steven Schend. Ed has been visited by Elminster and the Simbul, as well as the non-Realms mages Dalamar and Mordenkainen. I believe Ed has been visited by all the sisters, actually... And didn't Volo once get to put in an appearance on Earth?

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  07:42:28  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

C-Fb

How so? Magic still functions here, at least for them. And it's not like they have to shed the divine power when they step thru the portal -- it's still with them.

Laeral, Khelben, and Qilué have visited Steven Schend. Ed has been visited by Elminster and the Simbul, as well as the non-Realms mages Dalamar and Mordenkainen. I believe Ed has been visited by all the sisters, actually... And didn't Volo once get to put in an appearance on Earth?

Where has this all been mentioned?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  11:30:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

C-Fb

Where has this all been mentioned?

Mostly in Dragon magazine. Steven had frequent visitors while working at TSR. El has been popping in on Ed for years, and for a while, he, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar were meeting regularly at Ed's place. Those meetings were in the Wizards Three series of articles.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  13:43:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mostly in Dragon magazine. Steven had frequent visitors while working at TSR. El has been popping in on Ed for years, and for a while, he, Mordenkainen, and Dalamar were meeting regularly at Ed's place. Those meetings were in the Wizards Three series of articles.
Issues of note being:- #185, #188, #196, #200, #211, #219, #238, #242, #246.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:36:03  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think fantasy should ever cross into the real world - kind of makes it seem a bit weird. And let's face it, if anyone caught wind of people with supernatural power on this planet, they'd be locked down immediately - unless you wanted to make an X-files episode of it or something..

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:45:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, if nothing else it helps explain why there are Norse, Egyptian, Finnish, and Summerian gods in the setting, as well as cultures that seem like they have a common genesis with said cultures in our own world. Plus it can give you an excuse to throw in a modern element once in a while, as long as you do so sparringly.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  14:55:04  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I meant bringing the Chosen over to Earth. That just sits weird with me, you know? I don't mind if you base some countries on some real world equivalents or such, but to bring signature characters over - strange. And if someone did come over, how come Triel Baenre has yet to visit me?

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 17 Nov 2005 14:59:07
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she did . . . Kianna might have answered the door that day . . .

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 17 Nov 2005 15:21:13
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  15:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Hey Hey.... I deny everything!

You know, Anne Rice swore up and down she got visits from Lestat....

Weird-o.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  16:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

Hey Hey Hey.... I deny everything!

You know, Anne Rice swore up and down she got visits from Lestat....

And calls herself the Bride of Lestat, and in fact bases the Brat Prince off of her late husband. Poor late husband.
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  19:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol. I love the idea of bringing signature characters over - but none of us can argue against this, no matter how far fetch'd the idea is - We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow. We can't confirm or deny, we can only say :)

I mean...c'mon. Ed has to of gotten these ideas all these years ago by someone(s) ;)

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2005 :  20:00:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I am going to stick with this fact called, uhm, science for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters - but that was almost an Anne Rice notion, as was mentioned above.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000