Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Red Flags
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I noticed when I'm browsing on the WOTC boards that there are some posts I refuse to even look at just by their subject. I was wondering what are some red flags for my fellow scribes that just make you avoid at all costs. I decided to make this a poll because I thought it would be fun.

* No offense intended to anybody who has in the past or who still does enjoy posting topics that are noted here as Red Flags, it is simply my opinion which doesn't mean much.

** Please nobody take this thread to seriously, it's more of a light hearted (I know, weird coming from a chosen of Bane) thread meant more for my enjoyment/humor than to invoke thought provoking discussion. The last thing I would like to see is a debate over this nonsense.

Here are the 5 Red Flag Subjects that I avoid at all costs...

Please vote if you agree with any. If you agree with anyone more than the others, choose that one.

Choices:

How to Kill Elminster.... (could be any chosen)
My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]
Artemis vs. Ditka ... Who would win??? (any versus thread)
Sembia is really supposed to be the U.S.? (insert any Faerun to Earth comparison)
All things Drizzt

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 04 Nov 2005 13:06:48

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  06:03:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Artemis vs. Ditka, because its painfully obvious who would win dis fight. Ditka might let Artemis get in a few shots, buts its well known da coach is well versed in several forms of da lethal arts, and, hey, he took da Bears (DA BEARS) to the Superbowl. What team did Artimis ever take to the Superbowl? And another thing is that . . . (ack, ack) . . .

Sorry, had another heart attack dere . . . what was I saying?

(Sorry for the above. I live too close to Chicago to have not indulged. May Chris Farley rest in peace and not in a Van down by the river . . . )
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  06:38:06  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the "How to kill Elminster" part. Why would you want to anyway? It's kind of a tired old theme, used again and again.

C-Fb

Mod Edit: Removed a line that was uncalled for. :)

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Nov 2005 00:50:01
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  07:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt. And versus-threads. Especially that old Elminster vs Drizzt - Who would win? thread.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  11:35:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that I can make a choice... I've seen too many X vs. Y threads. I think Drizzt has had way too much airtime, and his hordes of fanboys scare me. And I tried to help out on a "Kill the Chosen!" thread, offering reasonable advice. It very quickly went bad when the guy who started the thread started talking about how some of his players were gods, and how they were happily killing Faerūnian gods and none of them were fighting back because they were too scared...

So of the five choices, there's three I wouldn't touch with a ten foot spear.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  11:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted in the old "How to kill Elminster", for all the trouble that this give to us, DMs.

In one game session, I even show the players how to do this: the great group of evil guys (enemies of the pcs) ambushed El and, with a good combination of abilities and team work, defeated and killed the old sage. The bad ones flee from the local, and before anyone can say "hyperbole", Vangerdahast teleported to the side of his old tutor, and bring El back.

With this little demonstration, I show to the players some things:
- yes, El could be killed;
- El (and all the other "big guys" have a great lot of friends and relatives that have the resources to help them in need;
- and the principal: teamwork (when is well done) really work! (something that they don“t have understand until I give them this little "illustration" of the theme).

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  12:58:58  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with "how to kill Elminster. How many times have people tried and lost? He just an "old fart" so let him die.

Mod Edit: Removed a line that was uncalled for.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Nov 2005 00:51:41
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My votes for the Drizzt section. Trying to Kill Elminster threads are a hoot compared to "OMG!!1!!11 DWIZTT WAH RULES!!!!! I WANNA CARRY HE BABEEE!" threads.

Least you can often hear about how Elminster is a dirty old man ;) LOL

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, I like the replies. This does bring up one question for me though....

Nobody has mentioned or voted for the following...

-My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]

-Sembia is really supposed to be the U.S.? (insert any Faerun to Earth comparison)

Am I the only one that stays away from these threads?

I just think Iconic characters do not need stats, they should be plot devices only, not encounters...

Secondly, Toril to Earth comparisons almost always end in people being upset and there is your token history buff that dominates the entire discussion, usually shooting down any comparisons.

These are just my reasons for not liking them. For the record, I voted for the "Artemis vs. Ditka ... Who would win??? (any versus thread)"

Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  14:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No i stay away from them but we couldn't vote on more than one....

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chosen, I think I more or less agree with you on them all. The only one that I would put an asterix next to is the "my version" thing, not becuase I don't see a lot of people that decide to make Drizzt and Artemis epic level characters (ugh), but becuase I don't think any NPCs stats should be set in stone, but should reflect how they are portrayed in lore, and sometimes they may work better in someone's campaign with the logic they use. Most likely its a waste of time, but sometimes someone makes a good point. I just hate it when the only point of them is to use the "latest" prestige class on the character, often one that makes no sense within the context of the lore.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  15:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked killing El but really I wish you had an option that said "anything 7 sisters".

*Sigh*

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  15:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Chosen, I think I more or less agree with you on them all. The only one that I would put an asterix next to is the "my version" thing, not becuase I don't see a lot of people that decide to make Drizzt and Artemis epic level characters (ugh), but becuase I don't think any NPCs stats should be set in stone, but should reflect how they are portrayed in lore, and sometimes they may work better in someone's campaign with the logic they use. Most likely its a waste of time, but sometimes someone makes a good point. I just hate it when the only point of them is to use the "latest" prestige class on the character, often one that makes no sense within the context of the lore.

KnightErrantJR, I completely agree with you!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  17:04:56  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on, how many Dm's out there are tired of their players saying "my character kicks anyone" thats why it is made fun of soooo often from Dead ale wives to Munchkin to Nuklear power. These are the threads that are hard to stomach. I also hate the threads that pit Drizzt(or some other iconic character) against someone like Yoda!

"Who would win in a fight between Superman and Mighty Mouse? ah come on that would never happen I mean supeman is a man and Mighty mouse is a mouse, superman would win of course!" Rough quote from "Stand By Me" been atleast ten years since I have seen it

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  17:52:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Nice, I like the replies. This does bring up one question for me though....

Nobody has mentioned or voted for the following...

-My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]

-Sembia is really supposed to be the U.S.? (insert any Faerun to Earth comparison)

Am I the only one that stays away from these threads?

I just think Iconic characters do not need stats, they should be plot devices only, not encounters...

Secondly, Toril to Earth comparisons almost always end in people being upset and there is your token history buff that dominates the entire discussion, usually shooting down any comparisons.

These are just my reasons for not liking them. For the record, I voted for the "Artemis vs. Ditka ... Who would win??? (any versus thread)"

Those threads don't really bother me, as much. Sometimes a new take on an old NPC can be interesting or inspiring, and sometimes later supplements have crunch that better fits an existing character. I'm not interested in seeing souped-up versions of existing characters, but I don't actively avoid them, either.

As for the Sembia/US one, those don't bother me because sometimes that's what a person needs to get a handle on an area: a real-world comparison. I've participated in a couple of these threads, usually just pointing out that the Heartlands may resemble certain areas, but has no direct real-world parallels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  18:22:39  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the Artemis thing, because there is nothing I can stand less than versus threads.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  20:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for anything Drizzt. Lately, a lot of threads are popping up to the tune of "What stats should Drizzt really have?", and people proceed to argue about whether he should be a barbarian, a dervish, a tempest, epic, ad nauseum. Same goes for "Should Drizzt really be a ranger?" threads.

I also can't stand the "real world" comparision threads. It's just annoying to watch people argue about such a non-issue--the FR is a FANTASY world, period!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "How to Kill Elminister", for somehow it is hightime that there is something to be done to balance the powers of the Realms's mages.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

I voted "How to Kill Elminister", for somehow it is hightime that there is something to be done to balance the powers of the Realms's mages.

You sure you understand what the poll's asking?
Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  01:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote I also can't stand the "real world" comparision threads. It's just annoying to watch people argue about such a non-issue--the FR is a FANTASY world, period!
[/quote]

Thank you! for a while I was wondering if I was the only one who realized that the FR only existed on paper and in our imaginations. In my opinion, all of the above threads are good to stay away from.

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  02:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

I picked killing El but really I wish you had an option that said "anything 7 sisters".

*Sigh*

I'd almost agree, but The Seven Sisters are much more fasnating to debate and think about than a Dirty Old Man, who is more fascinating than listenign to Killing Drizzt.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  02:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were we putting these in order then?? :)

I say stay away from all FR NPC threads then. Its ALWAYS a fight in those threads.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  10:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt.

I'll only enter the Fearūn vs. Real World threads of the above listed.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  02:22:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you! for a while I was wondering if I was the only one who realized that the FR only existed on paper and in our imaginations. In my opinion, all of the above threads are good to stay away from.

You're welcome. If people want historical fiction, there is a whole other genre for that.

Come to think of it, all of the listed threads are good to stay away from, but the Drizzt ones are downright ubiquitous and repetitive.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  18:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This poll should have been multiple choice. Or at least have an "all of the above" button.

I picked the Artremis vs. Ditka option. Even though I think Ditka would win.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  20:52:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite was : Among the Seven Sisters, who would win the fight?

They should really do something for all those X vs Y threads..
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2005 :  21:51:55  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still say people adulating their own characters is the most obnoxious!

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  01:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

I still say people adulating their own characters is the most obnoxious!

Well, it's true that no one will ever care about our own personal characters has we ourselves do (most of the time), but I can't really be annoyed at that all-too-human drive people have to share what they created.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  02:25:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially if they get published - then they can go on and on about their characters - but hey, people still read those books!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2005 :  02:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like a drug!

It'a a very dangerous topic, those Vs. threads.

And I agree there should have been an "all of the above" choice for this poll....

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  17:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I avoid all of those as well as
any threads that have "mipselings ina tytle "
how to kill >>named character<<
any thread that discusses why a particular class is underpowered
any thread that purports to have characters that frighten gods
any obvious munchkin thread

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000