Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Question about Servant of the Shard (spoiler)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  00:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
RAS wrote a novel called Servant of the Shard for the paths of darkness series right? And that is the one where the psionist helped Artemis defeat Drizzt?

Well RAS then wrote a second novel for The Sell Swords trilogy also called Servant of the Shard or are they the same book? I am really confused right now

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  00:16:05  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He basically took Servant of the Shard out of Paths of Darkness because it did not relate directly to the stories of Drizzt. he then decided to continue the adventures of Entreri and Jarlaxle and gave them a trilogy of their own.

Same book.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 04 Nov 2005 00:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  00:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe I read it twice and did not even realize that I had just read the same book. I did not remember any of from the first time.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  00:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
RAS wrote a novel called Servant of the Shard for the paths of darkness series right? And that is the one where the psionist helped Artemis defeat Drizzt?

I think you might have mistaken this for another book. The book in which Artemis defeated Drizzt with the psionist's help was The Silent Blade which was the first book in the paths of darkness series.

But nonetheless, there are two Servant of the Shard editions (both are the same except cover and so on) for each series.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  01:34:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR/WotC has taken several books out of their original series, and resold them as another. Elfshadow, Elfsong, and Silver Shadows, for example, were all originally in the Harpers series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  05:49:35  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the Psion stopped Drizzt from killing Artemis. Artemis then used the psionic energy that was building up inside his person and tore Drizzt's heart out. Artemis really didn't need any help. Also, Artemis was seriously heated after he realized what he had done.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  11:41:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

Actually, the Psion stopped Drizzt from killing Artemis. Artemis then used the psionic energy that was building up inside his person and tore Drizzt's heart out. Artemis really didn't need any help. Also, Artemis was seriously heated after he realized what he had done.

Drizzt remains amazingly hale for someone without a heart, then.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Nov 2005 11:42:16
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  14:57:22  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like that version. :p Also, slashy subtext.
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  15:48:24  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed he does seem remarkable hale without a heart. Though I found it odd that Lolth had Drizzt brought back to life through one of Jarlaxle's priests.

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  16:39:40  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She is the Godess of chaos you know.

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  16:43:23  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the sell swords, it has just become the series of Jarlaxle and Artemis. Kind of like the offshoot story of Wulgar in the "Spine of the World"

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  17:05:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there was that whole conjecture by the cleric of Lolth in the Hunter's Blades books about how Drizzt may still have the favor of Lolth becuase he causes chaos among those drow faithful to Lolth that he encounters. Heck, she wouldn't let go of Liriel for a long time even after Liriel had started to look into Elistraee's faith.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  19:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew the Artemis and Drizzt fight happened in Paths of darkness i just could not recall which book it was and I thought it was Servant of the Shard, I stand corrected =)

Thanks for the help answering that. I was wondering why RAS had realized a new novel with the same title but apparently I am just foolish because it is the same novel. I stil lcan't believe I read it twice and did not even realize that I had previously read it. I read it when it was first released and then when it was released with the newest cover so it was quite a few years apart but it is bizarre that I did that regardless.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  20:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

I like that version. :p Also, slashy subtext.

*falls on the floor laughing*

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  23:43:10  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

And there was that whole conjecture by the cleric of Lolth in the Hunter's Blades books about how Drizzt may still have the favor of Lolth becuase he causes chaos among those drow faithful to Lolth that he encounters. Heck, she wouldn't let go of Liriel for a long time even after Liriel had started to look into Elistraee's faith.

I do recall Lolth telling Errtu that she was no longer hunting Drizzt anymore.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:39:37  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, do you think she wants angsty essays?? I don't blame her.

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 05 Nov 2005 02:45:20
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:44:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crennen,

Knock it off with the smart arse replies.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Nov 2005 01:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  01:01:09  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, do you she wants to her the angsty essays?? I don't blame her.

C-Fb

Well, prior to that, she was using said angsty essays as an instrument of torture. Cruel and unusual punishment, you see.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  02:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I do recall Lolth telling Errtu that she was no longer hunting Drizzt anymore.

I recall reading that, myself. Which is just as well--why should all of Drizzt's enemies become obessed with him, and/or involve him in their plans?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  04:16:53  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, perhaps Lolth was tired of her children becoming so narrow-minded to think her favor was all determined by who caught Drizzt Do'urden. I mean, if you think of it - Jarlaxle would probably be a lot better catch.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  04:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, perhaps Lolth was tired of her children becoming so narrow-minded to think her favor was all determined by who caught Drizzt Do'urden. I mean, if you think of it - Jarlaxle would probably be a lot better catch.

I definitely agree about that.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  07:42:29  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was hoping you would!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000