Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Undeads for a 4. level Party
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  16:39:46  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Maybe you can give me some ideas, how I can have Undead encounters for my 4. level party.( It shoudn't end after 1 or 2 rounds ). The cleric in the group has good CH and WI bonuses, so there should be no problem to destroy the average Undeads (even in a desecrate area). To still have some fun for the rest of the party I'm looking for some practicable situations where the whole group is demanded.

Thanks already.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:33:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of things you can do, bands or groups of undead (so the first few encounters will go fast) so that the Cleric will run out of turn attemps. Also in set up of quest the Cleric being told of more powerful undead exist protection an item. This way Cleric might not consider using a turn on the first undead seen, perferring to save them for the greater danger.

Another way that you can extend combat problems, used a mixed foe. Goblins with undead guards or something else (goblins can not be turned).

At times one character will stand out as doing the most work, it could be of any class. However the mage can run out of spells, the warror can take too many wounds that he will hide behind everyone else to avoid dying. The theif failing too many times to disarm traps (and takes injuries) will stop trying to disarm them (though still would likely ty to find them).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:45:44  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want a good band of undead. You may wish to have a large party of ghouls with a couple of ghast leaders. Let the cleric use his turn/destroy on the Ghouls and then have the ghasts set in, could be a surpise. If you're really feeling me, you could throw in a wight or even an incorporal as the leader.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  22:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out Ogre Zombies: Tons of hit points = tons of fun!! They could also take a couple of Shadows or Allips, might be tough but it'd be fun!
Thysl

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  22:47:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thysl

Check out Ogre Zombies: Tons of hit points = tons of fun!! They could also take a couple of Shadows or Allips, might be tough but it'd be fun!
Thysl

You should keep in mind it is a level 4 party, some undead can kill all of them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  08:05:28  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank yee!

I think I've got some good ideas - even if I 'll try not to fry the party

There pops another question into my mind - do you know if a turning attempt is reflected if an incorporal undead stays in some kind of rock (lets say some wall)?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  12:52:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

There pops another question into my mind - do you know if a turning attempt is reflected if an incorporal undead stays in some kind of rock (lets say some wall)?

"and you can’t turn undead that are more than 60 feet away or that have total cover relative to you. You don’t need line of sight to a target, but you do need line of effect. "

So total cover, like other side of wall, means that undead will not be effected. I would think the wall stops spread of turn attempt rather then reflect the effect.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  13:41:51  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"and you can’t turn undead that are more than 60 feet away or that have total cover relative to you. You don’t need line of sight to a target, but you do need line of effect. "

So total cover, like other side of wall, means that undead will not be effected. I would think the wall stops spread of turn attempt rather then reflect the effect.

Yeah - thats what I like with you guys. Even If I could have read the turning description you send a fast and complete answer. Thanks a lot Kentinal !!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:30:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I would think the wall stops spread of turn attempt rather then reflect the effect.

Ditto. Though, having a cleric turn himself could prove amusing...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:38:29  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if the necromancer has created some odd item which he has hidden in the room that inverts a disrupt undead or turn spell to a raise spell and the cleric in the very act of trying to turn a few simple skellies actually raises something more foul. Muhahahaha you could even keep this thing random by creating a random chart so that when the cleric trys to turn you get to roll, always a feared event for my players as I smirk and say, " one moment let me just roll to see the consequences of your actions."

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!

Edited by - hooper101 on 03 Nov 2005 17:38:52
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  18:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you went that route I'd say a successful turn attempt would bolster the undead and Cure spells or Disrupt Undead heal the affected undead instead of harm.

Oh, BTW: The Ogre Zombie, Shadow and Allip are all CR 3, Don't disregard them!!

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  18:39:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thysl

Oh, BTW: The Ogre Zombie, Shadow and Allip are all CR 3, Don't disregard them!!

Yes if there is only one at a time, put all three together at same time you have an Encounter Level of 6 which is considered Very Difficult. Also I was concerned about the plural used, and posible mixed party as well. Two of them at the same time have an Encounter Level of 5, add 4 CR 1 undead in a mixed party the EL goes up to 7 for the 6 of them.

Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  22:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh, a pair of any three was my meaning, which would - at worst - be a EL 5.

--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000