Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 General Book Club Discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  18:14:04  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read the short story in realms of the dead and the first novel in the haunted land series which i quite enjoyed before geting distraced by other novels, there are far too many good books out there to read ;-)

I best go and order them and catch up at least i don't have to wait for the next novel to come out hehe
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  10:09:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can relate, Tremaine. I think I bought and read Agents of Artifice after Unclean, though I already had "Undead" and "Unholy" at that time.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 28 Jul 2010 10:11:45
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  08:57:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sage, I think it's about time to discuss the classics, too.

Go to Top of Page

Tremaine
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  18:07:06  Show Profile Send Tremaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind reading the old novels opps I mean classics which ones do you have in mind? but i don't think i can handle more then two forgotten realm books a month as I want to read other novels not set in the realms (oh by the way i pass over Denning,Greenwood,Niles works there may be brilliant writer's but unfortunatly I could never just never get in their tale's the only one's i really enjoyed of them was Elminster the making of a mage, the puppet king,the last thrane and Crucible strangely the last one is one of my favourite realm tales lol)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  23:46:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

I wouldn't mind reading the old novels opps I mean classics which ones do you have in mind?

The Netheril Trilogy, the first 3 books of the Elminster saga, Starlight and Shadows trilogy, Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy, The Simbul's Gift, Red Magic, and Shrandril's saga.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  01:35:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

(oh by the way i pass over Denning,Greenwood,Niles works there may be brilliant writer's but unfortunatly I could never just never get in their tale's the only one's i really enjoyed of them was Elminster the making of a mage, the puppet king,the last thrane and Crucible strangely the last one is one of my favourite realm tales lol)

I always felt Niles needed more time in the Realms, as I enjoyed most of his books. And his DRAGONLANCE titles too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  12:06:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to see a book by Niles written for the Heartlands. A small scale Harper novel or something in that direction. Although I must admit that some of his later (by that I mean nearly ten years ago of course) Dragonlance books did little for me personally.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2010 :  16:31:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

It would be interesting to see a book by Niles written for the Heartlands. A small scale Harper novel or something in that direction. Although I must admit that some of his later (by that I mean nearly ten years ago of course) Dragonlance books did little for me personally.

A small scale story on anything realms related would be nice.

Maybe a monthly Web Novella? ( i know......it'll never happen, but it cannot hurt to wish;))

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  18:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a criteria for whether a scroll is created for a particular novel or not? I noticed that there aren't scrolls for every novel/trilogy. Do we just ask for them to be created? Just wondering!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  01:08:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

Is there a criteria for whether a scroll is created for a particular novel or not? I noticed that there aren't scrolls for every novel/trilogy. Do we just ask for them to be created? Just wondering!

The only real criteria, usually, is that the novel has just been released. That's when I'll open the discussion scrolls. This has been the practice since about 2005, so Book Club scrolls for older [pre-2005] novels, simply don't exist.

The Book Club functions on the premise that most Realms fans will be reading the recently released novel, around the same time, so discussion will be readily apparent.

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2010 :  03:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage!!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  12:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No book club for Gauntlgrym?? I suspect it is due to Candlekeep having more anti-Salvatore/Drizzt than fans...I just finished part 1 and it's not a "remake" of Streams of Silver as some people think. I enjoy it.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  12:49:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

No book club for Gauntlgrym?? I suspect it is due to Candlekeep having more anti-Salvatore/Drizzt than fans...I just finished part 1 and it's not a "remake" of Streams of Silver as some people think. I enjoy it.

No, it's more a thing of simply not having created one yet. There are a lot more RAS fans on this forum than there are non-RAS fans, thinks I.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  12:50:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No book club for Gauntlgrym?? I suspect it is due to Candlekeep having more anti-Salvatore/Drizzt than fans...
Errr... no. The lack of Book Club scrolls for RAS's latest is simply due to the fact that I've neither had the time to open the scrolls, nor the gold pieces necessary to purchase the book.

However, if you could provide me with the number of chapters and whether there is prologue and/or epilogue, I'll see toward open the requisite scrolls over the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  14:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

No book club for Gauntlgrym?? I suspect it is due to Candlekeep having more anti-Salvatore/Drizzt than fans...
Errr... no. The lack of Book Club scrolls for RAS's latest is simply due to the fact that I've neither had the time to open the scrolls, nor the gold pieces necessary to purchase the book.

However, if you could provide me with the number of chapters and whether there is prologue and/or epilogue, I'll see toward open the requisite scrolls over the weekend.

Prologue (page 1-24)
Part 1 - Chapters 1 to 9 (page 25-153)
Part 2 - Chapters 10 to 24 (page156-340)
Epilogue (Page 341-345)

Edited by - Alisttair on 22 Oct 2010 15:51:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2010 :  15:20:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Alisttair.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  17:09:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you, Alisttair.

You're welcome o' wise one

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  17:20:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mods, will we ever see the old (1E to 3E) novels in these halls?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  18:08:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

There's nothing stopping someone who wants to discuss the older novels... But the current Book Club format is designed for the newest novels, because those are the ones most readily available to everyone, and most likely to be read at the time the scroll is started.

Older novels suffer from a lack of availability, and with more people reading the newest novels at any given time, even those of us that love the older novels may not have read any given one recently.

A good example is Cormyr -- I'm currently re-reading that one, for the first time in at least a couple of years, possibly as many as 4 or 5. I'd imagine that of all our currently active scribes, less than half own that novel, and of them, there's prolly fewer than a handful reading it right now.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  19:10:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see...

There's Amazon and eBay, though...

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  19:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy moly Dennis. Did you read like a dozen books today? I see active topics from book club with most frequent post by Dennis since noon. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  19:26:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reread a lot of books today, FR and non-FR, and read two new ones. 'Tis what usually happens when my insomnia strikes!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  19:26:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see...

'Tis true. And Alibris, and Abebooks, and Half.com, and Nobleknight... But some people have limited funds, or they don't want to do online transactions, or they live in places where shipping is prohibitively costly.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  00:20:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I see...

'Tis true. And Alibris, and Abebooks, and Half.com, and Nobleknight... But some people have limited funds, or they don't want to do online transactions, or they live in places where shipping is prohibitively costly.

Dragontrove.com also, is an option.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  00:22:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly is entirely on the mark, for this.

Though, I've been considering either re-opening or opening [as the case my be], past Book Club scrolls as part of expanding the notion of scribes all reading the same point at the same time -- so we can all discuss it at the same time. You know, like how a Book Club usually works.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  00:55:40  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

No, it's more a thing of simply not having created one yet. There are a lot more RAS fans on this forum than there are non-RAS fans, thinks I.

That would make one hell of a poll my furry little friend!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2011 :  04:28:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wooly is entirely on the mark, for this.

Though, I've been considering either re-opening or opening [as the case my be], past Book Club scrolls as part of expanding the notion of scribes all reading the same point at the same time -- so we can all discuss it at the same time. You know, like how a Book Club usually works.

I'd love that, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  17:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Prologue (page 1-24)
Epilogue (Page 341-345)

BUMP out of the Vortex

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2011 :  19:05:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prologue (page 1-24)
Epilogue (Page 341-345)

BUMP out of the Vortex

He must not have SageApp up and running yet, to help him navigate his Vortex!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2011 :  00:52:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prologue (page 1-24)
Epilogue (Page 341-345)

BUMP out of the Vortex

He must not have SageApp up and running yet, to help him navigate his Vortex!

No, I think I'd need a Type-Sage TARDIS for that. *wink*

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000