Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  20:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most powerful spellcaster? Its me, the DM... when I walk in the Realms, even the gods fear my power.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

bolf66
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:09:18  Show Profile  Visit bolf66's Homepage Send bolf66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hello everyone I'm accually quite new to candlekeep and most of my lore comes from the novels but I would like to say that if we exclude people like larlock who I personaly think is the best I think that it has to be halaster simply because there all crazy powerful but he's the most unperdictable

perception is the real truth
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  20:36:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats 3 more votes for Halaster!

After reading Shadowrealm.....it could very well be Rivalen Tanthul, after all how many others spellcasters are walking around with a....(highlight to see possible spoiler if you have not read it) :A piece of Mask's hidden divintiy. If you think about his power before, he would be nigh impossible to best. Look what the same power allowed Riven to be able to do to Mephistophles in his own home, and he was no where near Rivalens power before then.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 05 Feb 2009 20:37:58
Go to Top of Page

Five_X
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  05:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Five_X's Homepage Send Five_X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gaaah! It was tough choosing between completely insane (but totally hardcore) Halaster, or Szass Tam, the most powerful Red Wizard. But Szass won out. Sorry, Halaster!
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  09:48:02  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ecap

Opinion: Manshoon has been "defeated"
Fact: Manshoon NEVER loses! He is prepared for EVERY possibility by an elite ressurection multiple-clone contingency - pretty much the ultimate spell!

I hate to disagree, but survival is not the same as victory. Manshoon has been defeated a number of times, by a number of foes (including himself, with the Manshoon Wars!). Being the baddest cockroach of the Realms () does not make him undefeatable.

manshoon maybe a bad cockroach but he cried in spellfire when the shadowsil was killed.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  02:01:03  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for Vhostym the Sojourner or Elminster!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:10:25  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Draezen

According to the possible choices at the index post, it would be Karsus. However, I'd prefer Ioulaum or Larloch.

who is ioulaum

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  16:33:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We know next to nothing about Ioulaum. Even the material that provides us with the 'best information' is the Netheril boxed set -- with all its drawbacks and failings. I'm sure there is much, much more to learn about Ioulaum.

For all we know, he was the Mystryl equivalent of a Chosen of Mystra.

And to make things more interesting, he might not have known that he was. Maybe just like Karsus didn't know...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  17:23:29  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is he known to be still alive.

Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  23:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in the Underdark Sourcebook Ioulaum is a massive brain that has a cabal of Mind Flayers and other monsterous creatures do his bidding. I forget the name, I think they are called Overminds or something to that effect... Perhaps another sage here might have the answer to that, because I am currently unable to access that book.

Edited by - Ghost King on 30 Mar 2009 23:04:41
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  07:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King:

I think in the Underdark Sourcebook Ioulaum is a massive brain that has a cabal of Mind Flayers and other monsterous creatures do his bidding. I forget the name, I think they are called Overminds or something to that effect... Perhaps another sage here might have the answer to that, because I am currently unable to access that book.

The book in question which describes Ioulaum's current status is Lost Empires of Faerun, page 101, wherein it describes that following his conversion to lichdom in the dying days of Netheril (the lifedrain spells of the phaerimm having disrupted his other life-extending magics) he left Netheril and went off to train a variety of apprentices, including illithids from the city of Ellyn'tal (presumed to be the first illithiliches). Eventually he used his illithid students to create an undead elder brain and then merged himself with it. He remains, as the Oracle of Ellyn'tal, in the abandoned city in the form of a giant undead brain with some 41 class levels and, presumably, lots of free time.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  08:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, LEoF had it. Guess I should reread my books sometime because it seems I'm mix matching details. Thank you, Edain Shadowstar, very informative and for taking the time to find that detail. Heh, lots of free times on his hand. Who would have thought?
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  14:38:52  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should use the common names of the characters foremost, with their more esoteric names in parenthesis. For example, a great number of people know of The Simbul, but do not know that she born Alassra Shentrantra Silverhand.

Also, why is Vangy on the list when the Srinshee, Qysar Shoon, Ioulaum, Larloch, Aumvor, Saharel, the Sojourner, and others are excluded?
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  20:40:34  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about Szass Tam, specially after The Haunted Lands Trilogy..

But Karsus is Karsus.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

SeeDiGi
Acolyte

Bermuda
34 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  23:26:10  Show Profile  Visit SeeDiGi's Homepage Send SeeDiGi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
karsus was the most powerful. no one can cast that spell again.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  23:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, due to the no 10th level+ law, technically nobody can be as powerful as a fullblown netheril arcanist, especially with the 45 level progression.
Go to Top of Page

Draezen
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  13:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Draezen's Homepage Send Draezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

We know next to nothing about Ioulaum. Even the material that provides us with the 'best information' is the Netheril boxed set -- with all its drawbacks and failings. I'm sure there is much, much more to learn about Ioulaum.

Well, at least we know he was quite determined... in wiping out orcs

quote:

For all we know, he was the Mystryl equivalent of a Chosen of Mystra.

And to make things more interesting, he might not have known that he was. Maybe just like Karsus didn't know...

Hmm, that makes me think of stating him out with a chosen template

Realms 4e NPC Characters / Realms 4e Cosmology, Deities, & More

Participate in your own manipulation!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  15:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Aye, due to the no 10th level+ law, technically nobody can be as powerful as a fullblown netheril arcanist, especially with the 45 level progression.

Well, that depends on how one defines "powerful." I don't think it's solely about spell levels.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

bolf66
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  19:24:17  Show Profile  Visit bolf66's Homepage Send bolf66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in my opinion if we look at sheer power bow to the simbul I personaly think that is he lived pre karsus folly and had there lack of limitation on spells she wouldn't need the avatar spell she'd be a goddess on her own right now others have mentioned it but best spellcaster as far as skill goes I'd pre demigod azuth who one on one spell battled the demi god of magic and not only wipped him but all but made him a slave that's skill

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  02:18:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bolf66

in my opinion if we look at sheer power bow to the simbul I personaly think that is he lived pre karsus folly and had there lack of limitation on spells she wouldn't need the avatar spell she'd be a goddess on her own right now others have mentioned it but best spellcaster as far as skill goes I'd pre demigod azuth who one on one spell battled the demi god of magic and not only wipped him but all but made him a slave that's skill

In canon, Elminster basically tells Simbul in spellfire that if she opposed him, she would have been destroyed, and The Simbul herself declared to Elminster's face that she was certain he could beat her if they fought.

Her exact words were "I have seen what your art has wrought Elminster. If ever I should have to stand against it, I expect to fall."

Elminster is more powerful than the Simbul.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  03:57:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Id wonder if there would be a good idea to make a thread on who was the most active arcanist in the realms

I think that would be even harder to measure than who the most powerful is...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Draezen
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  12:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Draezen's Homepage Send Draezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm
In canon, Elminster basically tells Simbul in spellfire that if she opposed him, she would have been destroyed, and The Simbul herself declared to Elminster's face that she was certain he could beat her if they fought.

Her exact words were "I have seen what your art has wrought Elminster. If ever I should have to stand against it, I expect to fall."

Well, yes, though the Simbul from El in Hell, the one who slay unique devils and pit fiends alike with titanic sequences of spells, would probably beat Elminster. Let's just forget the fact that she was empowered by Mystra at that time.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Id wonder if there would be a good idea to make a thread on who was the most active arcanist in the realms

I think that would be even harder to measure than who the most powerful is...

Especially because we don't who about every character in Realms to begin with. The "most active arcanist" could be a character who has never seen print for any number of reasons (maybe it's a PC?).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  19:43:00  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, yes, though the Simbul from El in Hell, the one who slay unique devils and pit fiends alike with titanic sequences of spells, would probably beat Elminster. Let's just forget the fact that she was empowered by Mystra at that time.

El would have done that himself had he, you know, not used every single fiber of power he had to close the rift.

Its canon. Elminster is stronger than Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

Vhostym The Sojourner
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  01:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Vhostym The Sojourner's Homepage Send Vhostym The Sojourner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude... What about Larloch and Vhostym? Larloch OWNS Szass Tam... Literally. And the Shrinshee... A level 30 wizard with alot of levels in high elven mage as well as being a chosen. And perhaps Hesperdan... though there is little info on JUST how powerful he was. And why not Rivalen?... But he is a demigod now soooo... The Lich drow Dyrr seemed pretty damn powerful and so did Gromph... Though i doubt either would top say... the Simbul. But my vote goes with Elminster.

"Dwarven manhood? Whats that? The smallest thing in all Faerun" -Qara

Edited by - Vhostym The Sojourner on 16 May 2009 01:09:44
Go to Top of Page

Vhostym The Sojourner
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  01:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Vhostym The Sojourner's Homepage Send Vhostym The Sojourner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

El would have done that himself had he, you know, not used every single fiber of power he had to close the rift.

Elminster is sooo NOT stronger than Mystra. Mystra is a GODDESS! And a greater power at that. And she is goddess of magic. If she wanted she could denie the weave and WHIP any mage like there was no tommorow. Shame that Cyric killed her... I think by all standards that he did it a bit easily considering all that hype during the shadow of the avatar crysis that Mytra was "the strongest god"

"Dwarven manhood? Whats that? The smallest thing in all Faerun" -Qara
Go to Top of Page

bolf66
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  16:08:30  Show Profile  Visit bolf66's Homepage Send bolf66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in EL IN HELL wasn't there a flash back where EL and Simbul fought and she had him on the run

Go to Top of Page

bolf66
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  16:56:57  Show Profile  Visit bolf66's Homepage Send bolf66 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted halaster but I like to change it because I remember a book that opened in undermountain where a anchient beholder was making a copy of shandril and up on the cealing HAL, EL and I think blackstaff where talking and EL punked Halaster

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  17:20:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bolf66

I voted halaster but I like to change it because I remember a book that opened in undermountain where a anchient beholder was making a copy of shandril and up on the cealing HAL, EL and I think blackstaff where talking and EL punked Halaster

Having read most of the Realms novels, I gotta say, I don't recall this one... Unless it was Escape From Undermountain, a book I've done my best to forget, because I found its depiction of how Halaster ran Undermountain to be against canon and utterly silly.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Draezen
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  18:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Draezen's Homepage Send Draezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean Ariel Manx, don't you

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000