Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  23:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's at least one very great archmage mentioned in the lore who never crops up in these discussions, and I don't mention him because I'm happy for him to remain obscure.

No one in Faerūn knows 'who's the greatest'. Only the power-mad care, and they can never tell. The question's irrelevant and the answer's indeterminate!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  04:26:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
Actually 3/3.5e material has made it clear that these are the same beings.

-I've always been one of the conspiracy theorists who never believed that, because of the many differences between Telamont and Lord Shadow. The novel, Shadowbred implicitly states that Telamont is Lord Shadow, as LoD did. But, Shadowbred clears up a few of the inconsistencies that added fuel to the theories of how/why the two were connected.

-And, you know, no one ever mentions good ol' Parzal the Outrageous. With 31 levels in Wizard, and 16 in Cleric, he is certainly packing some heat.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  04:48:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
Actually 3/3.5e material has made it clear that these are the same beings.

-I've always been one of the conspiracy theorists who never believed that, because of the many differences between Telamont and Lord Shadow. The novel, Shadowbred implicitly states that Telamont is Lord Shadow, as LoD did. But, Shadowbred clears up a few of the inconsistencies that added fuel to the theories of how/why the two were connected.

-And, you know, no one ever mentions good ol' Parzal the Outrageous. With 31 levels in Wizard, and 16 in Cleric, he is certainly packing some heat.

Can only go by WOTC wrote and they say he is the same, so, he is the same.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Nov 2006 05:36:51
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  09:08:47  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Elminster. Karsus was indeed a great mage too but too arrogant and he could not handle the magic running through his veins so Mystra died (for the first time) & Netheril collapsed.

I also like the mad wizard Halaster from Undermountain. But I think he is too insane to be the greatest wizard in Farūn :p :p
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  15:36:08  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! Oooh! HARKLE HARPELL! Yay! Spellcaster most...Uh...Mighty? (And you can't say his name ten times real fast...)

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  20:37:25  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

Halaster would be the greatest if he only got his head together.

Halaster IS now the greatest, as Mystra stitched his head back together so he could save the asses of both the Simbul and Elminster when they got stuck in Hell... El couldn't get out of there alone; the Simbul couldn't do it... Halaster did it.

Or do I have the Simbul and Halaster confused in regards to who saved who? (it's been a while, and trying to remember a specific scene out of that incredible novel is like swimming in a sea of old Elminster memories, all of which are NOT in chronological order! )
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  22:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go with a different set of criteria really that anyone else in order to handle this matter. In addition to levels; my criteria is going to be that they wield their power effectively along with possess wisdom, intelligence to use their powers, and personalities that prevent them from abusing their power.

This puts Elminster well above the Simbul.

I'm going to also eliminate any Liches, Shades, or other obviously inhuman creatures from the list. Otherwise the Phaerimm would plow right through most of them. Dead magicians like Karsus and the like are also gone.

For me, moving up the matter hugefold, is Manshoon. I tend to think of him as one of the most powerful magicians of the Realms and Elminster's archenemy for reasons that people should well take seriously even if the idea of the "Manshoon wars" may strike them as a bit ridiculous.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  22:39:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one ever gives Flamsterd his props . . . poor Flamsterd . . .

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 13 Jan 2007 22:42:18
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, sadly I replaced him with Elminster when I ran halls of the high king.

:-)

My players refused to believe he wasn't Elminster in disguise the first time around so I made it official

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Grandmaster Kane
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  23:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Grandmaster Kane's Homepage Send Grandmaster Kane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For raw magicalal power the best is The simbul but she isnt up there so i picked elminster
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  05:40:24  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster is pretty awesome!

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile

Edited by - yargarth on 14 Mar 2007 05:41:53
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  15:47:57  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would have to say the simbul or gromph.they are constantly in action somewhere.to quote the heroes lorebook 'decades of dueling the arrogant red wizards have elevated her skill to heights unreached even by elminster.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  03:55:18  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After the scene in Swords of Dragonfire.. you know the one. My vote is with Elminster. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  13:38:36  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who the hell said Gromph? He isn;t even near the same league as others mentioned. Gromph is a high level mage by normal standards, but he would be whooped by countless others on this list with ease.
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  22:31:51  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Best" is, in its finest form, an incredibly subjective term.

Does best mean "most powerful," "most skilled," "most effective," what?

This issue has been raised before, I suppose but in any discussion, lots of these things have to come up.

Also, you've got to consider things like, is the best spellcaster really just a straight arcane caster? What about someone like Elminster, who's got a little experience messing around as a thief and a warrior? Mayhap those experiences will help him gain an edge that another caster might not?

I'm inclined to go with Elminster, even if guys like Iolaum, Tanthul and so forth are theoretically "more powerful."

Elminster's been considerably more active and making use of his powers, exercising them so to speak, for a lot longer than they have and I have to think that combining his raw power, experience and his continued practical application of his magic (in a variety of different ways) lends him an edge that most of those dusty old Netherese survivors do not have.
Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  00:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam or Elminster, Halaster my favourite though!

Why no Gromph? he has a right to be on that list

Edited by - Pharaun Mizzrym on 06 Sep 2007 00:08:12
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2007 :  21:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who was this archmage from Evermeet who could mastered the power of a Circle by himself ?
I cannot recall his name !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 13 Sep 2007 21:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  19:17:28  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think Elminster would have beaten the Simbul even if we are using 2E stats. Why? Because Elminster has the wisdom and experience that comes with great age--he is almost twice the Simbul's age. There are other kinds of power besides that which is measured by stats.

Isn't the odd talk that Halaster is Imaskari? That would mean he's at least 4500 years by now (and around 3000 years older than Karsus). In other words, he would've been born around the time the Nether scrolls were found.
Hm. If he fled to the Heartlands around the time Imaskar fell, that could mean he also knew Netherese magic...

Too bad he lost more than his sanity, over the years.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:17:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Who was this archmage from Evermeet who could mastered the power of a Circle by himself ?

I think you're referring to Laeroth Runemaster. I can't check, though, since I've not yet replaced that book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:23:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of 1385 DR, the most powerful mage in the Realms will be the first lev 1 guy to cast a cantrip.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thats not a spoiler, thats based on the fact that we are getting a brand new rules system (because the old one no longer functions).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As of 1385 DR, the most powerful mage in the Realms will be the first lev 1 guy to cast a cantrip.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thats not a spoiler, thats based on the fact that we are getting a brand new rules system (because the old one no longer functions).

Ha! It will in my campaign, by the gods!

I haven't shelled out literally thousands of dollars on FR and D&D products to have them all rendered valueless so that Hasbro can pay an extra three cent dividend to its stockholders. Grrrrrrr....

As for the "most powerful" spellcaster, I iterate that I think it would be one or another Sarukh (the Teraseer, perhaps). They can hardly weigh themselves against current spellcasters, though since all but one (?) of them are currently frozen or are busy being liches in isolated dooms.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  16:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how about irenicus( balder's gate 2)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  20:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I think you're referring to Laeroth Runemaster. I can't check, though, since I've not yet replaced that book.

As usual, you're right Wooly. What is sure is that's the name I was looking for !
Thanks a lot.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  19:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it interesting that the Simbul was not on the list (or did I just miss her?). She is the one who saved El from Hell. To be perfectly honest, she gives me the willies, even though she worked for the late Mystra.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  21:35:00  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only reason El needed saving from hell by that point was because he exhausted his spell repetoire. The simbul is on record for saying and has spoken directly to Elminster in the book spellfire, stating that she knows if they came to blows between the two that Elminster would beat her, and Elminster confirmed it. Then she took off her clothes, offered herself to him, and they made whoopie.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  22:05:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

The only reason El needed saving from hell by that point was because he exhausted his spell repetoire. The simbul is on record for saying and has spoken directly to Elminster in the book spellfire, stating that she knows if they came to blows between the two that Elminster would beat her, and Elminster confirmed it. Then she took off her clothes, offered herself to him, and they made whoopie.

"Hey, you could kick my butt! Let's have sex!" Why didn't that ever work on the playground?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  23:26:15  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha. Yeah:)

quote:
Why no Gromph? he has a right to be on that list

That's a joke right? Gromph is powerful by drow standard, but he would get murdered quickly by guys like Larloch, Elminster, and Telamont Tanthul.
Gromph might be around even footing with guys like Vangerdahast and some of the weaker princes of shade and possibly Manshoon(But not likely)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  23:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I wasn't saying that she was more powerful than El, but I do think that she belongs on the list. The lady takes on the nation of Thay for fun!

EDIT: I forgot that the Simbul's name was Alassra Silverhand. The OP might want to make note of that.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 11 Oct 2007 23:40:54
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  02:13:17  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a common misconception that the Simbul handles Thayan armies with ease. Its far from the truth.
The Simbul CAN NOT, nor never could single handedly handle Thay, nor has she in a single sitting, with one on many destroyed whole armies of Thay.

She uses gorilla tactics of hit and run, and her own arrogance has nearly killed her at least once in the process.

Also, it is stated that should Thay unite, all lands around them have need to fear, as their combined known armies out number all combined forces of their surrounding neighbors. It is in fighting alone that keeps Toril safe from the power house that is Thay, not some upstart chosen next door who has some deep seeded hate for all that is Red.

She is definitely one of the most powerful casters though. A notch down from the powerhouses like Larloch, Elminster, Telemont Tanthul, Or a mind cleansed Halaster.
Go to Top of Page

IronHammer
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  03:50:38  Show Profile  Visit IronHammer's Homepage Send IronHammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Classically Ill say folks like everyones favorite elder brain lich, El, Larlock, Karsus but theres several other less well known casters who have to rank up there. What about the Elder treant "Mella Theeg"... She is a Wiz 36th/Brd20th. Thats 56 levels. Im sure theres some elder advanced dragons out there that could give nay mage a run for their money..

I remember playing Dwarves and Elves as a character class...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000