Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  03:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my perspective, the Simbul had the great potential to be a powerful archwizard but she is merely a walking timebomb to the realms.

The greatest spellcaster would had to be the Netherese archwizards such as Iolaum Lvl 41. Following it up should be Telamont Lvl 35, his powers are complimented by his active wise mind, making him a potent stable force for evil. Even Queen Amlaruil should be lined up with these two as well, her command of High Magics augmented with wisdom makes her a stable force for good.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  14:39:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly - my vote goes to: Elminster the Old Sage! He simply is the most powerful and intersting, having out-"lived" them all, raised three of those that are also on this very poll themselves and being the only one who had an intimate experience with a god (or goddess in his case) and survived it. Besides - who are Khelben "Black"-what and Hallaster anyway?! ;)

Elminster rules! Hail to Elminster! Bravo!

Ergdusch

P.S.: One should never forget Azuth the Lord of Spells, who has made his way into the FR pantheon afterall, as well as Velsharoon Archmage of Necromany, who seems to be well on his way to true deity status. And what about Harkle Harpell??? Just a few thoughts in the aftermath...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  18:39:59  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage  Send The Cardinal an AOL message  Send The Cardinal an ICQ Message  Click to see The Cardinal's MSN Messenger address  Send The Cardinal a Yahoo! Message Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The One and Only Karsus, You don't see that doddering Old El trying to Rip power from a God do ya

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  19:30:53  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... No Larloch?

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  13:59:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Cardinal

The One and Only Karsus, You don't see that doddering Old El trying to Rip power from a God do ya

Where though has the trying brought Karsus to? Only painful death and a world in chaos and ruins. (what a waste of potential, by the way.) Is not Wisdom and Forsight also part of determining a spellcasters greatness and power?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Sarephim
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  18:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage  Click to see Sarephim's MSN Messenger address Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Vhostym from the Erevis Cale Trilogy? I would think he would be on the list. Anyone who can single handedly kill millions and raze entire worlds has some serious power.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  14:00:24  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, where is my favorite Archlich, LARLOCH!!!!! You forgot to add that uber-badass. Well, since he is not there I will vote for Szarss Tam.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29896 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  03:28:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

Um, where is my favorite Archlich, LARLOCH!!!!!

He's not an archlich. An archlich is another type of critter altogether -- it's a type of good-aligned lich.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  03:29:53  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's an Ultralich. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

danifae
Seeker

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Visit danifae's Homepage Send danifae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted halastar, though on second thought I should've done elminster. However I've been greatly impressed by the undermountain.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  16:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

He's not an archlich. An archlich is another type of critter altogether -- it's a type of good-aligned lich.

Larloch is a good lich ?!?

I agree with Gothicdan, he is described as an Ultralich...which really didn't mean anything, just a title to say he is a super-bad lich

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  16:51:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, and also to mean he probably has abilities above and beyond those of other liches - the least of which that we know about being his curses.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:16:29  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, sorry, I meant Ultralich. I thought Archlich and Ultralich were one and the same? I didn't know there were good liches.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29896 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:13:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, sorry, I meant Ultralich. I thought Archlich and Ultralich were one and the same? I didn't know there were good liches.

Archlichs and baelnorns are two types of lich that are good-aligned. Alatheene Moonstar, in Waterdeep, is an archlich. I can't recall any named baelnorns off the top of my head, but Kuje's NPC list surely names a couple.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:38:14  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Archlichs and baelnorns are two types of lich that are good-aligned. Alatheene Moonstar, in Waterdeep, is an archlich. I can't recall any named baelnorns off the top of my head, but Kuje's NPC list surely names a couple.

Indeed it does, both the 1/2e version and the 3/3.5e version does. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

He's an Ultralich. :)

Talking about Ultralichs, and Druth Daern?
Something new about him?

Chosen of Moradin, the dwarf that flee of Daern after a certain game session in Myth Drannor

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:53:55  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druuth isn't an Ultralich!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Druuth isn't an Ultralich!

Well, IŽll not say this too loud, nor too much close of Myth Drannor.

HeŽs always lurking in the shadows, I swear this!

Chosen of Moradin, the target of so many fireballs...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  20:57:36  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fireballs?

Try Meteor Swarms and Chain Lightning. *Twitches at his only encounter with a lich, at least 10 levels higher than his character.*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  16:39:34  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  19:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Karsus in 2 ed. was 41 level wizard. Ioulaum is also 41 level wizard, but he is also lich and elder brain, so he is much more powerfull than Karsus was. Srinshee is 40 level wizard and she is chosen of Mystra.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Power is a tricky thing, though. Ioulaum is brought up all the time, but he's immobile and--as I've heard--not all that interested in combat and being a "mover and shaker".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 31 Aug 2006 01:04:26
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Thangorn's Homepage Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Manshoon will pwn everyone once he figures out how to shift his consciousness between his clones...

A Land Far Away (ALFA)
A Forgotten Realms persistent world for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
www.alandfaraway.org

Head Builder, DM & FR canon despot ALFA NWN2 Moonsea project.
Go to Top of Page

Entreri1000
Seeker

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2006 :  15:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Entreri1000's Homepage Send Entreri1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheer power wise has to be Larloch, was level 45, under new rules he is level 36. Ed said Telemont comes very close to Larloch. Telemont being level 35.

Telemont easily tames a dragolich (ruler of the Blues) to do his every bidding.

Karsus etc, were around level 42, but using the new rule sets, they are around level 34 (i.e. slightly less powerful than Telemont is now). Karsus had Godhood for a while, just because he gets it does not necessarily mean he is the most powerful, may be the others were wiser...

If you are thinking these surviving Netherese would grow in levels over time, that is logical, but Halaster is 4000 years old, and still level 30...

Erevis Cale trilogy supermage: Somebody mentioned the Sorjourner (sp?), 12000 years old, destroyer of worlds, he has be well over level 30, may be even around level 40 (or level 50 using earlier rules).

So, power wise:

1) Larloch 2) Telemont

Others like Simbul, Sammaster, Eliminster, Halaster, Szas Tam are all around level 30....Thus Eliminster would be #1 (in a novle he defeated the Simbul, Simbul also mentioned he was more powerful than her), unless one fights Halaster in Undermountain!
Go to Top of Page

Gellion
Learned Scribe

140 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  00:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Gellion's Homepage Send Gellion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Soviet Faerun, Spells cast you!

"Paladine, you see the evil that surrounds me! You have been witness to the calamities that have been the scourge of Krynn... You must see now that this doctrine of balance will not work! I can sweep evil from this land. Destroy the ogre races. Bring the wayward humans into line! Find new homelands far away for the dwarves and the kender and the gnomes, those races not of your creation... I demand that you give me, too, the power to drive away the shadows of evil that darken the land!"- THE REIGN OF ISTAR, Tales IV
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000