Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  13:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking Halaster at first because of Undermountain, but I voted Karsus because anyone who can cast a spell to steal divinity HAS to be rated number one :) that and the fact that I am biased towards all things Netherese :P

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  19:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magus Rages

Hello everyone, I had just thought of a question and had been wondering for some time. All right, this poll asks all the scribes, veteran and elite scribes of candlekeep who you think is the best, most powerful, most superior spellcaster in the realms in terms of your own opinion, not based on some stats. A honest vote and honest reply is greatly appreciated, I express my thanks to all in advance. Thank you.

I base my reply in large part on his stats, but Shoon VII ought to be CR 42 or thereabouts, given that he is a demi-lich. Having passed beyond the "I'm a skull on the ground" stage, he gives a clue as to what might become of a lich whose ego is overwhelmingly powerful -- he ... just ... won't ... go ... away!

Apropos of liches, let us not forget the Teraseer, who manipulated Netheril with an easy grace (and who is due to return soon, if he hasn't already).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 15 Apr 2006 19:56:07
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  00:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see the votes for Khelben jump through the roof after his novel comes out....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2006 :  17:57:29  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus I'll just say one word... Godhood!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  02:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread just goes to show how many cool archmage/epic spellcasters there are in the realms. I've argued this topic many a time but upon hearing of Larloch's powers.... It would seem that even Karsus would be challenged by this powerful spellcaster. But you know I might actually say Azuth because wasn't he a mortal before he attained godhood by Mystra's grace???

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  02:51:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

This thread just goes to show how many cool archmage/epic spellcasters there are in the realms. I've argued this topic many a time but upon hearing of Larloch's powers.... It would seem that even Karsus would be challenged by this powerful spellcaster. But you know I might actually say Azuth because wasn't he a mortal before he attained godhood by Mystra's grace???

Yup, Azuth was a mortal spellslinger before becoming a deity... Kinda like Mystra 2.0 and Velsharoon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Yup, Azuth was a mortal spellslinger before becoming a deity... Kinda like Mystra 2.0 and Velsharoon.

That being verified. Was he any good???? From what I remember he study magic with the elves and traveled lots not unlike another wizard we all know and respect. But for some reason I guess he became the first chosen of mystra (although I might have that wrong). He also was the Magister right? This all would be very interesting to gauge his strength as a spellcaster when he was mortal.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Ilsidahur
Acolyte

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  19:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Ilsidahur's Homepage Send Ilsidahur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tanthul is far more powerful than any other. No one has that amount of power in their grib. By pure will he makes a very powerful dragolich bow down and serve him even though it is against its will.
He has hold the "High most" titel in a city of very powerful wizards for more than 2000 years, on the plane of shadow... Who other than him could have done that!!? The people of the shade enclave worship him and not Shar. He would without a doubt come out victorios in any fight against the others.

From light comes shadow
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you asking about living mages or dead mages?
living mages-I hate to say it but I've read of her enough to not deny it,THE MOST POWERFUL MAGE is THE SIMBUL(capital letters for a capital, capable,caster. In elminster in hell,she proved her self to be supreme over some of the most powerful(I won't spoil it for u but check it out!) I thought el was the star but man!hold up!

as far as dead wizards I must admit I'm racially
bias. The ilithiri mage KANARLIST from seacrets of blood/spirits in realms of the arcain(I think)
HE created the sahaugin race of the forgotten realms,and he had a hand in making the koldbol race too/and gnoll from a race called koldingobul. He weilded HighMagic with the same if not more faculty than the light elves.He was even mighty enough to attract Lolth as his consort. He was the reason the sea elves of the
forgotten realms lost their magic(he took it!)
Sadly he suposedly died in the after math of the
highmagic ritual that created evermeet(the Sundering)right before he could conquer the lightelves. Basicly because of his highmagic,ablility to create a race who to this day hold all drow in awe millenia later something
few mages have been able to do,and his drowdom he reigns supreme in my heart.Check him out in the novels, realms of the arcane,Elves of evermeet.

purge all weakness in the cleanzing flame of
rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  20:40:01  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you asking about living mages or dead mages?
living mages-I hate to say it but I've read of her enough to not deny it,THE MOST POWERFUL MAGE is THE SIMBUL(capital letters for a capital, capable,caster. In elminster in hell,she proved her self to be supreme over some of the most powerful(I won't spoil it for u but check it out!) I thought el was the star but man!hold up!
By the way mordikinen of oerth and elminster both admitted to dalamar in "the wizards Three" that she could best both of them in open spell battle.now that's a beaming compliment and an honest one!
as far as dead wizards I must admit I'm racially
bias. The ilithiri mage KANARLIST from seacrets of blood/spirits in realms of the arcain(I think)
HE created the sahaugin race of the forgotten realms,and he had a hand in making the koldbol race too/and gnoll from a race called koldingobul. He weilded HighMagic with the same if not more faculty than the light elves.He was even mighty enough to attract Lolth as his consort. He was the reason the sea elves of the
forgotten realms lost their magic(he took it!)
Sadly he suposedly died in the after math of the
highmagic ritual that created evermeet(the Sundering)right before he could conquer the lightelves. Basicly because of his highmagic,ablility to create a race who to this day hold all drow in awe millenia later something
few mages have been able to do,and his drowdom he reigns supreme in my heart.Check him out in the novels, realms of the arcane,Elves of evermeet.
P.S. If karsus wasn't so darn insane and stupid(and human) he would reign supreme over all the others

purge all weakness in the cleanzing flame of
rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  03:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my perspective, the Simbul had the great potential to be a powerful archwizard but she is merely a walking timebomb to the realms.

The greatest spellcaster would had to be the Netherese archwizards such as Iolaum Lvl 41. Following it up should be Telamont Lvl 35, his powers are complimented by his active wise mind, making him a potent stable force for evil. Even Queen Amlaruil should be lined up with these two as well, her command of High Magics augmented with wisdom makes her a stable force for good.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  14:39:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly - my vote goes to: Elminster the Old Sage! He simply is the most powerful and intersting, having out-"lived" them all, raised three of those that are also on this very poll themselves and being the only one who had an intimate experience with a god (or goddess in his case) and survived it. Besides - who are Khelben "Black"-what and Hallaster anyway?! ;)

Elminster rules! Hail to Elminster! Bravo!

Ergdusch

P.S.: One should never forget Azuth the Lord of Spells, who has made his way into the FR pantheon afterall, as well as Velsharoon Archmage of Necromany, who seems to be well on his way to true deity status. And what about Harkle Harpell??? Just a few thoughts in the aftermath...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  18:39:59  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The One and Only Karsus, You don't see that doddering Old El trying to Rip power from a God do ya

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  19:30:53  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... No Larloch?

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  13:59:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Cardinal

The One and Only Karsus, You don't see that doddering Old El trying to Rip power from a God do ya

Where though has the trying brought Karsus to? Only painful death and a world in chaos and ruins. (what a waste of potential, by the way.) Is not Wisdom and Forsight also part of determining a spellcasters greatness and power?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Sarephim
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  18:23:37  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Vhostym from the Erevis Cale Trilogy? I would think he would be on the list. Anyone who can single handedly kill millions and raze entire worlds has some serious power.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  14:00:24  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, where is my favorite Archlich, LARLOCH!!!!! You forgot to add that uber-badass. Well, since he is not there I will vote for Szarss Tam.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  03:28:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

Um, where is my favorite Archlich, LARLOCH!!!!!

He's not an archlich. An archlich is another type of critter altogether -- it's a type of good-aligned lich.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2006 :  03:29:53  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's an Ultralich. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

danifae
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Visit danifae's Homepage Send danifae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted halastar, though on second thought I should've done elminster. However I've been greatly impressed by the undermountain.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  16:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

He's not an archlich. An archlich is another type of critter altogether -- it's a type of good-aligned lich.

Larloch is a good lich ?!?

I agree with Gothicdan, he is described as an Ultralich...which really didn't mean anything, just a title to say he is a super-bad lich

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  16:51:41  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, and also to mean he probably has abilities above and beyond those of other liches - the least of which that we know about being his curses.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:16:29  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, sorry, I meant Ultralich. I thought Archlich and Ultralich were one and the same? I didn't know there were good liches.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:13:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, sorry, I meant Ultralich. I thought Archlich and Ultralich were one and the same? I didn't know there were good liches.

Archlichs and baelnorns are two types of lich that are good-aligned. Alatheene Moonstar, in Waterdeep, is an archlich. I can't recall any named baelnorns off the top of my head, but Kuje's NPC list surely names a couple.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:38:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Archlichs and baelnorns are two types of lich that are good-aligned. Alatheene Moonstar, in Waterdeep, is an archlich. I can't recall any named baelnorns off the top of my head, but Kuje's NPC list surely names a couple.

Indeed it does, both the 1/2e version and the 3/3.5e version does. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

He's an Ultralich. :)

Talking about Ultralichs, and Druth Daern?
Something new about him?

Chosen of Moradin, the dwarf that flee of Daern after a certain game session in Myth Drannor

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:53:55  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druuth isn't an Ultralich!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Druuth isn't an Ultralich!

Well, IŽll not say this too loud, nor too much close of Myth Drannor.

HeŽs always lurking in the shadows, I swear this!

Chosen of Moradin, the target of so many fireballs...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  20:57:36  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fireballs?

Try Meteor Swarms and Chain Lightning. *Twitches at his only encounter with a lich, at least 10 levels higher than his character.*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  16:39:34  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus, of course.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000