Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, to be fair, the Shades didn't ask to be away from Faerun for all that time.

Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that they *were* away for such a long time.

quote:
Powerful is a very relative term - like I said, look at Szass Tam, he may not have all the levels, but he certainly has more underlings who are powerful than, let's say Khelben. I know that Khelben has a great many friends, but you don't control friends through power - underlines you do.

There is a lot of different scales that can be used to discuss powerful.

True. As for friends, they aren't something you control (or would want to control, else they wouldn't be friends), but they can represent a certain kind of influence, which is itself a kind of power.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Nov 2005 20:17:47
Go to Top of Page

wiseguysez
Acolyte

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  03:02:14  Show Profile  Visit wiseguysez's Homepage  Click to see wiseguysez's MSN Messenger address Send wiseguysez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
meh, ya all raise interesting points and its hard to take a side in your argument. I'd say to pit one mage against another close competitor. alone. without any of their apprentices and friends and such. and then pit one mages apprentices against the others' and so on. then just take all the "stats" and do an overall. that is, if u have nothing better to do with your life... no offense to anyone who might use this idea or one similar to it...
Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Seeker

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  10:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heartly recommend that you expand your posting habits beyond threads with polls.

It's good to be king
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  12:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the Old, wise mage of the Dalelands. His general actions and place as chosen of Mystra (GODDESSS OF MAGIC for petes sake) must make him nothing less than the top candidate for the title in question...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Seeker

19 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  12:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Halaster Blackcloak, the famous genius of Undermountain, if there is anybody who can go toe to toe with the greatest of Mystra's Chosen, I would bet my chips on Halaster Blackcloak as the one.

Fight to win, but donlt fight too long or for glorious tales.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  13:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'd vote Larloch if he was on the list. He could deliver a spanking to anyone on the list or off.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  04:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is Larloch, or Shaaan the Serpent Queen? 'Tis my humble opinion that these two archwizards should both be suitable candidates for "The Best Spellcaster in the Realms"-title

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  20:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage  Send Crust an AOL message Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alassra Silverhand...

Look, someone knows his FR!

You should have definitely just said "The Simbul."

I chose Alassra Silverhand (The Simbul to the layperson) based on her performance in Silverfall and El in Hell. Elminster might be more inventive, but I've always thought that The Simbul was capable of unleashing more destruction than anyone else. If I were captain, I'd pick The Simbul first.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 19 Jan 2006 20:09:48
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  21:57:13  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo
Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  05:36:49  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage  Send TonyMontana1638 an AOL message Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with El simply because he strikes me as, in a literary sense (even if that isn't the sense the thread creator was looking for), I believe he would defeat any of these wizards on here. Before you chuck CR levels or such at me, I just have to think that he would find a way to best any of them one-on-one (which is how I classify 'powerful' though there are many other ways to do so), even if it meant destroying himself in the process.

Also, shouldn't Qysar Shoon VIII (I know that isn't compeltely right, but should be close enough) be on here somewhere?

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  22:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... i think alot fo the most powerful mages have been forgotten over time.
i believe I would list the terraseer and more mages of other races.
It seems like many extremely powerful elven high mages might have had hgiher levels of power than these listed but there are no stories of their actions directly.
I think also that many dragons came to master a level of magic higher than those listed when they ruled faerun!
there is so much ancient history that it makes sense for some epic wizards to be overlooked
and I'd like to take a moment of silence for them

ok silence is over.
haha

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  10:35:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why isn`t the Sojourner from the Erevis Cale trilogy here? Everyone who has read Midnight`s Mask knows what HE is capable of.(and that was when he was old and dying)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  11:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. You haven't listed one that I'd consider. Iahkovas. Consider the sheer amount of destruction he unleashed in his few years of terror.

Or, barring him, Larloch.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  23:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I chose Alassra Silverhand (The Simbul to the layperson) based on her performance in Silverfall and El in Hell. Elminster might be more inventive, but I've always thought that The Simbul was capable of unleashing more destruction than anyone else. If I were captain, I'd pick The Simbul first.

I think Elminster is no less capable, he is just more likely to stay his hand. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I think Elminster is no less capable, he is just more likely to stay his hand. :)

I think some people overemphasise the destruction/chaotic nature of the Simbul, to a degree. Yes she is quite proficient in the Art and yes she is often capricious with its use displaying little to no patience. But at the same time, she has goals and she moves to enact them almost always through her use of great magic.

So while I think she is less likely to "stay her hand" unlike Elminster . . . I also believe that she would try to at least understand a little about a situation before heading into something "with spells blazing".

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  13:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking Halaster at first because of Undermountain, but I voted Karsus because anyone who can cast a spell to steal divinity HAS to be rated number one :) that and the fact that I am biased towards all things Netherese :P

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  19:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magus Rages

Hello everyone, I had just thought of a question and had been wondering for some time. All right, this poll asks all the scribes, veteran and elite scribes of candlekeep who you think is the best, most powerful, most superior spellcaster in the realms in terms of your own opinion, not based on some stats. A honest vote and honest reply is greatly appreciated, I express my thanks to all in advance. Thank you.

I base my reply in large part on his stats, but Shoon VII ought to be CR 42 or thereabouts, given that he is a demi-lich. Having passed beyond the "I'm a skull on the ground" stage, he gives a clue as to what might become of a lich whose ego is overwhelmingly powerful -- he ... just ... won't ... go ... away!

Apropos of liches, let us not forget the Teraseer, who manipulated Netheril with an easy grace (and who is due to return soon, if he hasn't already).

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 15 Apr 2006 19:56:07
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  00:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see the votes for Khelben jump through the roof after his novel comes out....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2006 :  17:57:29  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage  Send atlas689 an AOL message Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus I'll just say one word... Godhood!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  02:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread just goes to show how many cool archmage/epic spellcasters there are in the realms. I've argued this topic many a time but upon hearing of Larloch's powers.... It would seem that even Karsus would be challenged by this powerful spellcaster. But you know I might actually say Azuth because wasn't he a mortal before he attained godhood by Mystra's grace???

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  02:51:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

This thread just goes to show how many cool archmage/epic spellcasters there are in the realms. I've argued this topic many a time but upon hearing of Larloch's powers.... It would seem that even Karsus would be challenged by this powerful spellcaster. But you know I might actually say Azuth because wasn't he a mortal before he attained godhood by Mystra's grace???

Yup, Azuth was a mortal spellslinger before becoming a deity... Kinda like Mystra 2.0 and Velsharoon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Yup, Azuth was a mortal spellslinger before becoming a deity... Kinda like Mystra 2.0 and Velsharoon.

That being verified. Was he any good???? From what I remember he study magic with the elves and traveled lots not unlike another wizard we all know and respect. But for some reason I guess he became the first chosen of mystra (although I might have that wrong). He also was the Magister right? This all would be very interesting to gauge his strength as a spellcaster when he was mortal.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Ilsidahur
Acolyte

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  19:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Ilsidahur's Homepage Send Ilsidahur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tanthul is far more powerful than any other. No one has that amount of power in their grib. By pure will he makes a very powerful dragolich bow down and serve him even though it is against its will.
He has hold the "High most" titel in a city of very powerful wizards for more than 2000 years, on the plane of shadow... Who other than him could have done that!!? The people of the shade enclave worship him and not Shar. He would without a doubt come out victorios in any fight against the others.

From light comes shadow
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  20:29:49  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you asking about living mages or dead mages?
living mages-I hate to say it but I've read of her enough to not deny it,THE MOST POWERFUL MAGE is THE SIMBUL(capital letters for a capital, capable,caster. In elminster in hell,she proved her self to be supreme over some of the most powerful(I won't spoil it for u but check it out!) I thought el was the star but man!hold up!

as far as dead wizards I must admit I'm racially
bias. The ilithiri mage KANARLIST from seacrets of blood/spirits in realms of the arcain(I think)
HE created the sahaugin race of the forgotten realms,and he had a hand in making the koldbol race too/and gnoll from a race called koldingobul. He weilded HighMagic with the same if not more faculty than the light elves.He was even mighty enough to attract Lolth as his consort. He was the reason the sea elves of the
forgotten realms lost their magic(he took it!)
Sadly he suposedly died in the after math of the
highmagic ritual that created evermeet(the Sundering)right before he could conquer the lightelves. Basicly because of his highmagic,ablility to create a race who to this day hold all drow in awe millenia later something
few mages have been able to do,and his drowdom he reigns supreme in my heart.Check him out in the novels, realms of the arcane,Elves of evermeet.

purge all weakness in the cleanzing flame of
rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  20:40:01  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are you asking about living mages or dead mages?
living mages-I hate to say it but I've read of her enough to not deny it,THE MOST POWERFUL MAGE is THE SIMBUL(capital letters for a capital, capable,caster. In elminster in hell,she proved her self to be supreme over some of the most powerful(I won't spoil it for u but check it out!) I thought el was the star but man!hold up!
By the way mordikinen of oerth and elminster both admitted to dalamar in "the wizards Three" that she could best both of them in open spell battle.now that's a beaming compliment and an honest one!
as far as dead wizards I must admit I'm racially
bias. The ilithiri mage KANARLIST from seacrets of blood/spirits in realms of the arcain(I think)
HE created the sahaugin race of the forgotten realms,and he had a hand in making the koldbol race too/and gnoll from a race called koldingobul. He weilded HighMagic with the same if not more faculty than the light elves.He was even mighty enough to attract Lolth as his consort. He was the reason the sea elves of the
forgotten realms lost their magic(he took it!)
Sadly he suposedly died in the after math of the
highmagic ritual that created evermeet(the Sundering)right before he could conquer the lightelves. Basicly because of his highmagic,ablility to create a race who to this day hold all drow in awe millenia later something
few mages have been able to do,and his drowdom he reigns supreme in my heart.Check him out in the novels, realms of the arcane,Elves of evermeet.
P.S. If karsus wasn't so darn insane and stupid(and human) he would reign supreme over all the others

purge all weakness in the cleanzing flame of
rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000