Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  06:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
And where does this reference come from, Sir Krash?

Oh, my noggin' really. I was just being naughty and in my own particular obtuse fashion telling posters that there is no 'right' answer to this kind of thread. But it's always nice to make up realmslore on the fly - I'll sneak Kalithra into the FR firmament, somewhere, somewhen; never you fear.

-- George Krashos

Mind if I steal her for an upcoming project?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  06:04:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, my noggin' really. I was just being naughty and in my own particular obtuse fashion telling posters that there is no 'right' answer to this kind of thread.
Very true!

That's probably why I hardly ever contribute to such discussions. There's likely to always be a thousand different reasons why one spellcaster is better than another, but the simple fact is... no spellcaster in the Realms can truly be catagorised as the "typical" mage. Measuring up other magic users is pointless since there's little basis for comparison to standard mage types.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  07:22:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Be my guest, Arivia. Like Ed, I think it's always good to share the sandbox. Would love to see what you come up with - a Candlekeep Compendium piece, mayhap?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  07:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Be my guest, Arivia. Like Ed, I think it's always good to share the sandbox. Would love to see what you come up with - a Candlekeep Compendium piece, mayhap?

-- George Krashos

Thanks...and maybe.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  11:22:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh, my noggin' really. I was just being naughty and in my own particular obtuse fashion telling posters that there is no 'right' answer to this kind of thread.
Very true!

That's probably why I hardly ever contribute to such discussions. There's likely to always be a thousand different reasons why one spellcaster is better than another, but the simple fact is... no spellcaster in the Realms can truly be catagorised as the "typical" mage. Measuring up other magic users is pointless since there's little basis for comparison to standard mage types.

Agreed. That's the same reason I hadn't said too much.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  14:29:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But seriously? Wouldn't Harkle Harpell top one of the lists somewhere?

I think when one uses the term, "typical" mage, they mean those mages that belong to secret group/government/alliance that are always the low level ones. Like a "typical Red Wizard of Thay" or a typical "Cowled Wizard," blah and blah.

I think when you make your own name, like El/Halastar/Szass/Larloch/etc, you then become the atypical mage and can be categorized that way.

After writing that, I am not quite sure what I was getting at. I hate getting old.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  14:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went for Alustrial, 'cause she is very pretty. And I enjoy her city, too.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  16:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also not big on stats and this new-fangled 3ed. multi class thinga-ma-jiggy used in comparing the best of the best. As it has always been, in your campaign you decide the ranking of the uber mages. And straying further off-topic, the Realms has been the, to put it nicely, the most magically rich fantasy setting i've seen anywhere. I guess its like a sound-bite from another great wizard "...when the world was young and there were more than seven colors in the rainbow"
Another post I found interesting was about RPG mages in general on RPG.net
edit: link did not work
Sorry to stray off-topic.

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)

Edited by - Rocheval on 28 Oct 2005 16:33:11
Go to Top of Page

kikeyo
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  19:35:05  Show Profile  Visit kikeyo's Homepage Send kikeyo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any body read about drizzt
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  22:54:37  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for El, he just seems to have his hand in alittle bit of everything and shaping the realms to his liking. The Simbul was my second choice. El would seem to win a battle using strategy/tactics being tricky and resourceful and the Simbul seems to just use brute magical force to beat them down. It is impossible to judge who would win in a fight and such, but no matter who the victor is I bet a huge chunk of the realms would be destroyed lol

I would say a majority of the members here have read about Drizzt, I personally have read all of the novels he was in.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  00:53:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kikeyo

any body read about drizzt

Yes, most of us have. However I don't really think he can be categorised as a "contender" in this discussion.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  02:34:19  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt can cast Darkness, Sage, c'mon!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  06:18:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention Faerie Fire!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2005 :  14:20:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I want this poll amended!

I now vote Drizzt as the best spellcaster! I know Kajehase's with me!

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 29 Oct 2005 14:20:59
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Elminster would have beaten the Simbul even if we are using 2E stats. Why? Because Elminster has the wisdom and experience that comes with great age--he is almost twice the Simbul's age. There are other kinds of power besides that which is measured by stats.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:22:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blasphemy! Bring the comfy chair and the soft cushions!

You're absolutely right Rinonalyrna, however, aren't there a few spellcasters out there that makes even El seem like a young pup?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

You're absolutely right Rinonalyrna, however, aren't there a few spellcasters out there that makes even El seem like a young pup?

Yeah, but there is something about Elminster's attitude (and popularity) that makes me prefer to give him my vote.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  00:28:12  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larloch would be one of those that could whoop on El - however, he probably doesn't look like Sean Connery as much. Shaken, not stirred.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  02:07:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, we're skipping the rack?!?

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  15:00:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could you please give me some info about these uber-munchkins then? The only one I know of who definitely is stronger than Elminster in pure Art is Larloch.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  15:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telamont, Iolaum, Halaster - to name three of them. Unsurprising, considering they all out-age him by a millenia or two.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  18:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods* But what does Larloch do, for instance? He just wants to be sit there in his tower and be left alone. That's not something that inspires me to give him my vote.

Same goes for people like Telemont--from what I've heard, the novels he is in deliberately make many of the established characters (such as the Chosen) look bad/stupid/incapable; not exactly something that makes me want to call him the best spellcaster.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  18:57:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the novels are bad, but Telamont is pretty cool - however, even in the novels, he never does anything that qualifies him as "the best spellcaster".

I guess no one is joining me for Drizzt, eh?

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  19:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, the novels are bad, but Telamont is pretty cool - however, even in the novels, he never does anything that qualifies him as "the best spellcaster".

I guess no one is joining me for Drizzt, eh?

C-Fb

Well, hey, he can throw a mean globe of darkness, right!

Anyway, the gist of what I'm saying is that I consider the whole of the character when I decide who is the "best spellcaster", and also, the fact is that I have an emotional connection to Elminster that I just don't have with the likes of Telemont, Larloch, or Iolaum (I barely know anything about that last one).

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  20:11:47  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telamont isnīt that bad. After all (minor spoiler)
he subdues the will of the dracolich who lords over Anaurochs blues without any real effort.

I`ve also heard about spellcasters called Hesperdan, Iyraclea and Shaaan. I think I`ve heard about the first somewhere, but who are they? They are mentioned as being as strong as Larloch.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  20:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Telamont isnīt that bad. After all (minor spoiler)
he subdues the will of the dracolich who lords over Anaurochs blues without any real effort.

I`ve also heard about spellcasters called Hesperdan, Iyraclea and Shaaan. I think I`ve heard about the first somewhere, but who are they? They are mentioned as being as strong as Larloch.

Iyraclea is detailed in the ELH, and Shaaan you'll see something on soon. Hesperdan I have no clue about.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  20:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hesperdan I have no clue about.

He is featured in Best of the Realms II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood. :) I'm not sure how powerful a caster he is though.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Hesperdan I have no clue about.

He is featured in Best of the Realms II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood. :) I'm not sure how powerful a caster he is though.

Ah, thanks.

*moves it up on her Buy Next list*
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  20:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  22:45:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hesperdan is in the tale How Wisdom Came to the Maimed Wizard, which can also be found on the Wizards website.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000