Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:59:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of the options provided I voted El, but I would go with Larloch if he were up there. Nice resurrection here, btw.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

jaelin910
Seeker

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  02:14:34  Show Profile Send jaelin910 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
welcome to the wonderful world of undeath, where the dead no longer need to stay dead
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

506 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  23:15:15  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoiler Below if you haven't read "The Herald"

Highlight spoiler below
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so now there are 2 major players off the chess board , the Srinshee
and Telemaunt. The question now is, with the way Elminster handles Larlcoh and Telemaunt, is he now the undisputed best spellcaster in the realms?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1070 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  22:52:48  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... I dont think old Miss Estelda is dead. Being 4300 years old ish... I bet she has some ace up her dress!

But to answer your question. Yes I think so!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

382 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2014 :  16:59:03  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Spoiler Below if you haven't read "The Herald"

Highlight spoiler below
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so now there are 2 major players off the chess board , the Srinshee
and Telemaunt. The question now is, with the way Elminster handles Larlcoh and Telemaunt, is he now the undisputed best spellcaster in the realms?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

From a mechanics standpoint, no.

From a lore standpoint, he might as well be. He's not actually that impressive statswise, but he has Power of Plot. Poor Manshoon suffers the most from this, but now even Larloch and Telamont suffer from it.

In a straight mechanics argument, Elminster's competency as a spellcaster pales compared to several other mages, including at least two Runemasters, Telamont, Larloch, Shoon VII and a few others I haven't mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2014 :  17:58:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, 16 pages in this thread, and it's nearly 9 years old... And I just noticed that I've not voted (and I can't, now), nor have I nominated a candidate for "best" since it is so subjective.

I've certainly got my faves, some of which weren't on the list in the original post and which haven't been mentioned, but I don't really think of anyone in the Realms as being the "best" at spellcasting or anything else. Even if Tim the Enchanter is the best all-around caster today, that might not be the case tomorrow, and it wouldn't have been the case in 1018 DR, for example... Plus, there's always the issue of the scenario -- a scenario could heavily favor one person, while a different one favors someone else.

I do like this one that Krash made up, specifically for this discussion:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The best spellcaster in the Realms is obviously Kalithra "Silvertresses" Tormal. Why even the great Elminster himself has commented on how gracefully and beautifully she weaves her spells and 'grasps the Weave'. A real talent, he notes.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jul 2014 18:00:53
Go to Top of Page

Austin the Archmage
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2014 :  05:22:23  Show Profile  Send Austin the Archmage an AOL message Send Austin the Archmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra.

What? The topic creator never said that deities were off the table.
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Seeker

37 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2016 :  19:14:52  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go with the Simbul.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  01:17:13  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Masked Mage, of course; sorry guys, this should have been obvious to you all!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1356 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  09:48:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best at what?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2016 :  16:40:45  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Best at what?

Well, since you asked, in my Realms, The Masked Mage is an NPC that is basically the combination of the Dungeon Master meets the Srinshee.

He was originally from Krynn, one of the "first born" High Ogres created by the Dark Queen (so yes, deep down he's a bit evil :P but the years have tempered much of that into True Neutrality). In the Irda novel, magic wielding High Ogres are described as sorcerers for whom casting spells was basically second nature... add to that many millennia practicing. He first came to the Realms during the wars between the Batrachi and Ostoria, so he's had a few years to practice even the most difficult magics.

The idea for the NPC came from me asking myself, what if there is a single, powerful spellcaster who has assumed multiple identities over the years that ties together the mighty magical empires. So after gaining his shapechanging powers as an Irda he starts taking the form of other races and down through the years is many of the named spellcasters in the histories of Krynn / Toril / Oerth - including half a dozen from the Netheril Set... When you add them all up, he's is the creator of many if not most of the standard D&D spells and as one of the Seven Wizards he taught both Khelben and Elminster back in Myth Drannor the rudiments of what Ed calls "Weave Mastery." (He also taught the Srinshee, but that was about 1000 years earlier :P) He also creates/collects artifacts and relics and has no qualms about using them :P.

In power level he's a quasi-deity who has no need or desire to gain followers because he's watched as many gods have died and sees their dependence on followers as a weakness. As one who's life is intrinsically tied to magic, he does have some ties to the various Gods of Magic. His primary goal is always to find some magic he has not yet learned / mastered (which are few) so if an apprentice can come up with a cantrip he has never considered before, that apprentice receives more respect/support than the mightiest archmages might.

Too long an answer to a simple question, but I've been using the character on and off for almost 20 years now :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000