Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everyone's Favorite Evil Organization
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  07:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Twisted Rune and the Red Wizards are a close one for me. The Twisted Rune is actually a new one but the more I read about them the more I love the little undead lichies.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 18 Aug 2006 07:27:50
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  12:11:12  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldreth Veluuthra.
They dont want money, magic, power. They just want to slain all human race. Sweet!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  13:09:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the Iron House! Asked for a reason I can only say: "My personal Favorite!"

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  15:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it says that voting is still open but i wasnt allowed to vote.... hmm idk why.
anyway i am going eldreth veluuthra (typical)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  16:28:41  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadow thieves.

But I like the Shades more.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  16:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage  Click to see Reefy's MSN Messenger address Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with the Night Masks, but probably only because they're what I was reading about earlier.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30018 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  18:06:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

it says that voting is still open but i wasnt allowed to vote.... hmm idk why.
anyway i am going eldreth veluuthra (typical)

Did you vote earlier? As a mod, I can see who voted (though not who they voted for), and I show that you did vote.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Thangorn's Homepage Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents no contest.. so much fun to play with if you use em properly..

A Land Far Away (ALFA)
A Forgotten Realms persistent world for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
www.alandfaraway.org

Head Builder, DM & FR canon despot ALFA NWN2 Moonsea project.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  09:10:31  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage  Click to see boddynock's MSN Messenger address Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for House Dlardrageth for the same reason CrennenFaerieBane did. :-).
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1063 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  12:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Zhentarim

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  15:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I would have to say that I'm rather partial to the Shadow Theives. I was integrated into their guild once. Of course, a whole bunch of people tried to kill me afterwards...Sigh...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  16:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Zhents even though they're the keystone cops for me usually.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  18:28:09  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Zentarim: Its a classic option for every campaign
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  22:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What DOES make the Zhents so lovable?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  22:27:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its the little stuffed Manshoon Clone Dolls that they sell at the Zhentarim Company Picknick every Flamerule. Each one has a little flag with the heraldry of what part of Faerun the Manshoon doll wants to conquer.

I think even Elminster has one of the Shadowdale Manshoon dolls.

Everyone thinks they were Fzoul's idea, but they actually were Manshoon's, and its in his contract to get a cut off the sales of everyone of the suckers, even the ones they give out as part of the Mirthful Meals at the MacDougal's resturant chain in the Moonshaes.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:43:31  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For myself, I kind of lost interest in the Zhentarim as 3e started gaining ground.

Basically, Steven's intentions about generating a specific religious focus for the Zhentarim through the Manshoon Wars was exactly what I was looking for. This was why they originally became worshippers of Xvim. In addition, Steven wanted to make Manshoon an unknown element within the general plot running through the Realmslore. Each "Manshoon" clone would be discreetly dropped into future FR accessories, giving DMs wider choices with regard to how to plan and play the overall effects and results, of Manshoon and his clones, upon the Realms. That is why we originally learned that there were so many (at least forty) clones now scouting around Faerun looking to make places for themselves. Officially, 3 Manshoons remain. One is the one with the Zhents. One is a vampire crimelord in Westgate. And one is hanging with Halaster in Undermountain.

Of course, Ed tells us that there are many more Manshoons than those who have been revealed in the Realmslore, so perhaps the whole Manshoon Wars concept hasn't been completely forgotten.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  23:56:32  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dislike the religious focus honestly.

In my mind Fzoul is wonderfully effective as the leader of the Zhents but the Black Network only serves Bane so long as Manshoon thinks it benefits his mini-Illuminati.

Fzoul might not even realize when and if it ceases to.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  02:29:27  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked the Masks. I like the vampire thing

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  04:40:52  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents because i have yet to read about some of the others. i think the night masks and cult of the dragon are not all that great.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  10:48:43  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's got to be the Zhents for me - they've given me so many happy hours of "evil-bashing"!

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  13:28:06  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another vote for thay, here.
also, in my own games i've been using a cult of orcus as the big baddies against my players.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2007 :  15:28:13  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage  Send ShadezofDis an AOL message Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked the Zhents out of the list, almost picked the Krakens but they seem a step below the Zhents to me. (even though certain Zhents often do stupid things I try not to judge the Zhents on the whole by that *g*)

However, I do prefer the intelligence networks over the thugs. :)

I think my absolute favorites would have to be beholders, I don't run them often as not many parties can survive an encounter with beholders the way I like to run them but I like them all the same.

Oh, there's just too many good villians out there though, it's so hard to decide ;)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1144 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  16:43:06  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents!! They combine insideous plots with brutal conquests. The major villains are all pretty deep, their thugs are fun to squash, their spies are everywhere. They got mages of high power, powerhungry apprentices and everything inbetween. Evil clerics, monstrous generals, massive resources, need I say more (because I will ^^).

Ooh, and they got hot battlecommander chicks (Scyllua) as well...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  16:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No mention of the Phaerim???
They destroyed Netheril, causing destruction of an entire region in the process. Imagine the state of the Realms if they had not been contained and the spread of thier life draining spells had not been stopped.

I'd also have to list Shar as my favorite evil Goddess. I see terrible things coming from her and her followers.

From the list given? I'd have to say Zhents because they offer the perfect threat that grows with an adventuring party. Start with thier lowlies and move up the organizational chart. I also like how they mix Arcane and Divine Magic with a strong military and the subtlety of thieves and spies. They truely do have it all.
What impresses me most about the Zhentarim is that they pretty much operate in the open. Most folk know who they are, what they do,and what they intend for the world arround them. Despite this obvious threat to freedom, noone has ever been able or willing to put a stop to them.
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Learned Scribe

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2007 :  22:58:12  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose my favorite is the Zhents, if only because of sympathy for Manshoon... I mean, here we have a brilliant, motivated individual, who can never quite succeed because he's surrounded by traitors, incompetents, and religious zealots
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000