Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Oh!!! Aging
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  14:41:45  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that is the problem with humans and elves, and part of the reason each race finds the other attractive. Here humans live a quick, short life, like a blazing spark and elves live lives like a simmering flame. The sheer difference in philosophy and mien of life causes the curiousity/attraction in the other race.

And it obviously happens enough as we still have to deal with half-elves.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Feanor
Learned Scribe

100 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  22:30:19  Show Profile Send Feanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Makes perfect sense to me. And I totally agree with you. Of course, that could just be that we live in the same house and made those rules together.

Actually, I have based my elven aging on how Salvatore has it. Remember, Drizzt is like 80 and he is a 16th level character. It's hard to pace a character that ages like that. Plus, remember, elves don't age in appearance at all, except that they become more filled with inner strength of soul and eventually outshine their own bodies - that's why they choose to go to Arvandor and not just dying.

C-Fb

I would also like to say that if you live longer it is not compulsory to become a master at what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  05:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

That makes me thing in half-elves. In dragonlance is well described how Tanis (a half-elf) is in the middle of both worlds, he is in love with Laurana (who is an elf, so she gets older much slower than him) and with Kitiara (who is a human so gets older much faster), so at this point are inter-racial relationships something "wise"? You are condemned to see how your partner gets older too fast, or too slow... i mean, is disturbing...

While your example and point are certain valid, is the alternative any better? Should you deny your feelings and forgo happiness now, to avoid loss later? I can't say I like that choice...

That has always been my view. And there is always the (unfortunately) chance of premature death--there is no *guarantee* the elf will outlive the human. Even if your time together is short, at least it will be happy.

On the other hand, if you were a human and your partner was an elf, it might be sad to imagine that if you were to pass away first, your spouse may go on to live and love others for centuries, and in the span of his/her entire life, only a fraction of that lifetime will have been spent with you.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Oct 2005 05:28:48
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  17:08:10  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, RF, but you have to look at it the same way - your time with the other should be what it's about. It would be selfish of a human to try and say, "Well, you're my lover for 30 years, but you had better never take another one."

I think the humans that get involved with the tel'quess know what they are doing - since they seem to be a certain vein.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  20:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, RF, but you have to look at it the same way - your time with the other should be what it's about. It would be selfish of a human to try and say, "Well, you're my lover for 30 years, but you had better never take another one."

C-Fb

I understand that. Hey, my mother was a widow, but I understood when she got married again--I wouldn't expect most people to remain single forever after their first spouse dies.

But what I'm saying is that it is probably hard for some people to think about.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  02:20:33  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, it is a strange concept and one that is hard to think about. I just was getting to the point that humans that get involved with elves usually know what they're doing (usually because they're wizards or sorcerers). It is a hard relationship, without a doubt, especially if there are any half-elven children involved - look at all the problems 1/2Es caused for the Isle of Evermeet. :)

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  14:10:11  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every half elf I have ever read about has been a whiner anyway. Elves and humans do not mix, in my opinion.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  17:13:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

Every half elf I have ever read about has been a whiner anyway. Elves and humans do not mix, in my opinion.

I've never thought of Arilyn Moonblade (in the Realms) or Tanis Half-Elven (for Dragonlance, or in the shower in Berlin in 1948 (points if you catch that reference )) as whiners...

Kyriani certainly wasn't a whiner. Whining would interfere with her visiting her 8,001 lovers.

Really, not many FR character have struck me as whiners. Only one comes to mind off the top of my head, and he is definitely not a half-elf.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  18:29:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "hero" (forgotten his name) in Return of the Archwizards you mean?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  18:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

The "hero" (forgotten his name) in Return of the Archwizards you mean?

Galaeron Nihmedu.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  19:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've never thought of Arilyn Moonblade (in the Realms) or Tanis Half-Elven (for Dragonlance, or in the shower in Berlin in 1948 (points if you catch that reference )) as whiners...

Actually, I thought Tanis whined, and whined and whined, a whole lot.

quote:
Really, not many FR character have struck me as whiners. Only one comes to mind off the top of my head, and he is definitely not a half-elf.

I can think of a few. Heh. Like a certain lavender-eyed individual, or a spellfire-wielding teenage girl.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  19:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, it is a strange concept and one that is hard to think about. I just was getting to the point that humans that get involved with elves usually know what they're doing (usually because they're wizards or sorcerers). It is a hard relationship, without a doubt, especially if there are any half-elven children involved - look at all the problems 1/2Es caused for the Isle of Evermeet. :)

C-Fb

True. Honestly, I rather enjoy having characters be in interracial relationships; not for the sake of angst or melodrama, but because I enjoy the "coming together" of different cultures, in spite of the troubles it may bring.

As for half-elves being "whiners", no half-elf I've ever created has been like that, at least not when it comes to her race. Why? Because I cannot stand floods of angst (racial or otherwise), either in my own characters or in published novels. My characters have lives to live, darn it, they don't have time to cry about their heritage.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Oct 2005 19:29:41
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  19:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

I can think of a few. Heh. Like a certain lavender-eyed individual...

With two scimitars? Hmmm...

That's the one I was thinking of.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  20:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

With two scimitars? Hmmm...

That's the one I was thinking of.

*looks shifty* Shhh.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  22:21:55  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I can think of a half-elf whiner - Arilyn. She does quite a bit of it in the first book of the Songs and Swords book set.

And if you say that Drizzt is overcontemplative, I would understand, but I don't necessarily consider him a whiner. And before you go off saying that I am this and that for defending him - I am just saying he is not a whiner, not that he has no bad qualities overall.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2005 :  22:40:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we obviously have differing opinions on who is or is not a whiner... But we stray from the original topic.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  00:30:31  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, out of sake for the thread, I will let it go.

Back to the subject at hand - and my favorite race - Drow. Why is it that Drow priestesses (yes, I know about the other thread) can somehow manage to stay alive, well, pretty much forever. I know Amlaruil is still alive and kicking, but can the same apply for Drow rules?

Next question - I thought no deities were allowed to directly intervene in mortal affairs after the Time of Troubles? This would lead me to believe that the sustained ages of these extra-long-lived persons should be extinguished.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  20:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good question. I wouldn't mind knowing how Matron Baenre was able to live for 2000 years. My guess is magic.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  20:38:10  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or an incredible Yoga instructor... they can do wonders, so I hear.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  20:47:04  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

True. Honestly, I rather enjoy having characters be in interracial relationships; not for the sake of angst or melodrama, but because I enjoy the "coming together" of different cultures, in spite of the troubles it may bring.

I also enjoy the coming together of different races as long as it's not too difficult to imagine (Dwarf and Elf - nah).

I have had many characters who have had this happen or who pined for characters of a different race and you are right, there is a measure of satisfaction involved in role-playing that.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2005 :  21:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also enjoy the coming together of different races as long as it's not too difficult to imagine (Dwarf and Elf - nah).

Yeah...I suppose it's possible, but...it's not something I tend to imagine, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves and dwarves should not mix also, as I would assume they would also be whiners *wink*

(I can't think of any literary 1/2 elf 1/2 dwarf counterparts though so this post might not spark the angst my last one did)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:24:38  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh hum.... let's get back to topic...

Thought I'd help you moderators out.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, let's say for the sake of argument that an elf and a dwarf were to reproduce (yeech!). How long would their offspring live (to whine)??? :)

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  02:33:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a offspring that has an elven parent and a dwarven parent in the Cormanthyr sourcebook. :) It does happen and half-dwarves existed in 2e. They are rare but there's about 5 or so in the lore.

They are also discussed in Dwarves Deep.

As for how long they live... I'd say longer then a dwarf but shorter then an elf.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Oct 2005 02:40:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  03:30:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There is a offspring that has an elven parent and a dwarven parent in the Cormanthyr sourcebook. :) It does happen and half-dwarves existed in 2e. They are rare but there's about 5 or so in the lore.

They are also discussed in Dwarves Deep.

As for how long they live... I'd say longer then a dwarf but shorter then an elf.

Eric mentioned a dwelf of the Ironstar clan in one of his Mintiper's Chapbook articles.

From Part 5: Myth Glaurach of Mintiper's Chapbook -
quote:
As implied previously, the central caster of the variant of Mythanthar’s create mythal spell in this instance was Tisharu Craulnober. She imbued one major and one minor power into the mythal. Four secondary casters participated in the raising of Myth Glaurach’s mythal, including Aelynthi of the Eagles, a female moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Alenuath, Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, the Nameless Chosen, and Tsaer "the Horned" Nyamtharsar, a male moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Nyamtharsar.
Additionally, Steven had this to say about "dwelves" -

quote:
Dwelves....okay, I'll stop myself early before I start doing haiku about stone shelves and dungeon delves....

As stated above (and like half-elves), they favor and adopt the lifestyle/culture under which they are raised. Same goes for which gods they revere.

Both elves and dwarves have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to dwelves, as (unlike half-elves or half-orcs, IMO) there's no set form or expectation for how they'll look. It's anyone's guess if you'll end up with a dwarf's body size and shape with elven features and ears or an elf's body but stocky vs. svelte and rather hairier than the norm. Dwarven parents may mourn their child's inability to grow a decent beard, thanks to their elven half, while elves may grumble that the child is more interested in the dirt rather than the tree from which it springs. Most likely, they're only comfortable among some societies that embrace acceptance and unity (like Myth Drannor or Miyeritar or elsewhere).

That said, I was surprised by that Myth Glaurach note. Methinks I'll have to talk to Eric and find out what else he's had the Blackstaff up to while I've not been watching....if only for my own curiousity, of course.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Oct 2005 03:32:19
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  10:39:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah...I suppose it's possible, but...it's not something I tend to imagine, myself.

Myth Drannor was partially named after an elf who married a dwarf.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Destroyer
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  10:52:42  Show Profile  Visit The Destroyer's Homepage Send The Destroyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Then the offspring of this elf and dwarf is called a eldwarling? I am totally and honestly amazed that Myth Drannor was partially named after this odd couple, all along I assumed the city was got its name as Myth Drannor or known as City of Song due to its richness in bardic songs.

You will have new powers when you are reborn, a form better to serve me with. -Manshoon of Zhentarim,

Edited by - The Destroyer on 20 Oct 2005 10:53:47
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  14:21:41  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to be honest - that kind of makes me go, "Huh?". I know we have weird couplings in this world - but seriously, and elf and a dwarf couple would undoubtily end up on the Maury Povich (sp) show.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  17:22:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

That's the one I mentioned. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000