Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Seven Sister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  21:00:57  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted all of them...of course!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Acolyte

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  21:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRedBard

Although she isnt in many books, I def love Alustriel the most. She rules one of the most important places in the realms. Yet the lovely High Lady doesnt use fear tactics, she never seems to want to use her power to right everything she deems wrong in her world as most of her sisters do. She does what good she can and tries to see problems from all angles. She is kindhearted and seems to really enjoy life more than any other chosen I can think of, and may very well be the most successful in life. (save perhaps for El) Everyone of her subjects loves her for just the way she is, and she seems to really value it more then magic, wealth or power. Silverymoon just rocks, lets all rally for the High Lady fellow scribes!!!

I voted Alustriel, and I agree with the terms above.
I like her govermental style, her diplomacy and her zeal for evoke something that is lost with Myth Drannor.

Of course Laeral is also a cool face from the branch.

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#8194;H o u s e #8194; E l e s t a r#8195;
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  00:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to go with "all", as I couldn't single any one of them out.

Though if I had too... Alustriel, because she's the one I could most likely have a romance with (even if it's of the "one night stand" variety). :blush:

That and she's trying to build a new Myth Drannor in the savage North.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  20:51:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Simbul.

Like her a lot. Wild, never loses determination when she wants something, has far interesting past than the rest of the seven, and of course, the most accomplished and powerful wizard among them.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  23:13:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. "far more interesting past" that you know of, perhaps. I would disagree, knowing rather more...but then, I doubt we'll get to see much of the early centuries of the Seven (Ed had LOTS of fiction ideas just waiting for the TSR ladies to write, back in the day, each of them picking a Sister and riding his plot summaries into battle and glory...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  00:53:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dove and storm

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  03:44:10  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was this another "fly-by flirt and hint" madam Herald?
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  06:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laeral is my personal favorite of them all. She's the one I'd be interested in if I were in the Realms. Never really cared for Alustriel, though Sylune would be another I'd like to spend some time with.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  09:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Laeral. A close second would be Qilue, if not for her death for no reason in LP.
Laeral Silverhand Arunsun is not only a great mage, she is also a great wife for Khelben - and a caring, kind person capable of great love. And oh, I almost forgot - she is a mother of twins now too..

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  09:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Qilue and agree with Zireal that her death felt like it had no purpose but a simple way to end any chance of Eilistraee's cult ever continuing.

Qilue was an intriguing character who popped up in what I thought the best Drow series by Elaine Cunningham.

Alas, it's all water under the trollbridge now and ranting about it won't bring her or Eilistraee back.

I miss the Dark Dancer and her followers

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 17 Jun 2010 09:03:40
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  02:37:48  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qilue! She dances naked! A lot! All kidden aside she has to be on top of her game at all times because of where she is at.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  02:41:29  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

I voted for Qilue and agree with Zireal that her death felt like it had no purpose but a simple way to end any chance of Eilistraee's cult ever continuing.

Qilue was an intriguing character who popped up in what I thought the best Drow series by Elaine Cunningham.

Alas, it's all water under the trollbridge now and ranting about it won't bring her or Eilistraee back.

Dont even get me started about what they did to her and how it went down! 4th edition my butt!

John

Mod Edit: Corrected the quoted portion of the previous reply.

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jun 2010 09:33:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  02:46:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not turn this into another debate on editions, please.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  03:09:21  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Let's not turn this into another debate on editions, please.

Yes oh Wooly one I will not go on a flame rant on this topic.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  07:32:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rarely are there dull moments when the Simbul is around.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  07:37:19  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can'teven vote: I love Laeral for all that she's gone through and found, and lost; but if I were to run into one of them in a dark alley for nefarious purposes, I'd SO want it to be Dove. Or Storm. Or Both. ;)

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  08:12:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like Laeral in the Return of the Archwizards. I think she and Khelben are the only Chosen that Troy managed to portray well in that series...

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  09:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

Dont even get me started about what they did to her and how it went down! 4th edition my butt!

John

Umm...excuse me but could the above post please be amended as it looks like I am being quoted out of context here.

The red bolded text, well those are not my words nor sentiments.

Thanks

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  09:33:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis done, Talwyn.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  13:53:41  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say I have an irrational dislike for Storm Silverhand after reading the Avatar trilogy. The way she treated Midnight and that poor Cyric after accusing them of Elminster's death just isn't fair. I'm absolutely sure that without the haughty accusations of Storm Cyric would still be a happy Chaotic Neutral rogue instead of a Chaotic Evil Supergod with a tendency to slit one's Achilles' heel

I voted for Laeral Silverhand, partly because she's the founder of the Moonstars.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  13:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm, hands down, full stop, with knobs on.

I have a great affection for many of the Seven Sisters, I have a little more difficulty dealing with Alassra and Qilue than the others, but Storm has always been my favourite.

That preference almost did not survive the Avatar books, however I then went on to read several others where she featured prominently... and they were written by Ed.

As for why, well, I think that out of them all, as interesting as meeting them would be (Laeral and Alustriel, I am looking at you two) the one of Seven (still alive) who I would find the most contentment with either at home, or around the wilds, or even have laughing at me while I attempt to chop wood in the nude, would be Storm.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  14:13:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

I have a great affection for many of the Seven Sisters, I have a little more difficulty dealing with Alassra and Qilue than the others, but Storm has always been my favourite.
I'm curious as to why you feel this way about both Alassra and Qilue?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  15:00:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mensch

I voted for Laeral Silverhand, partly because she's the founder of the Moonstars.

Actually, that was her hubby, Khelben (my personal fave among the Chosen).

Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  15:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm curious as to why you feel this way about both Alassra and Qilue?

...and here I was trying to be a good little newbie and keep my head down while I continue to try and get my head around the wonderful, and occasionally daunting, morass of scrolls at CK...

The answer to you question, Sage, is both a little complex and a little vague, so I beg your indulgence on both counts.

The basic idea is that thanks to the way my, rather vivid, imagination works I am unable to consider characters as purely literary constructions. This means that if they work at all for me, the work as People rather than Things. It is also why I am unable to read books by Stephen Donaldson anymore (the things he does to his characters make me physically unwell).

In a way, the response to Alassra and Qilue is similar to the feelings that Laeral and Alustriel evoke. In both of these cases, while both of these Great Ladies seem to be capable of great personal amusement, mischeviousness, care and tenderness, in any audience with them I can only conclude that I would spend too much of the time enfolded in a mixture of awe and wonder, I have always perceived an almost Regal aspect to them, to reach a degree of comfort.

This cerebro-emotional barrier has, while not decreasing my regard for them, prevented me from warming to them as favourites.

It is much the same with Alassra and Qilue, if for different reasons:

Alassra's very wildness is the divisive factor here. El may be able to stand against her tumult (and more respect to him for managing it), but being all too aware of my own paltry weakness I could not even force the suspension of my own disbelief for long enough to consider doing more than peeking into the throne-room of Aglarond from behind a THICK wall.

My difficulty with Qilue is similar, in that it is a suspension of disbelief problem. For all that I have enjoyed her as a character and her actions in service to both the Dark Maiden and the Lady of Mysteries, I find that this dual-devotion in addition to her Drow nature just left too few points of commonality for me to draw her off the page in a way that would allow me to relate to her with more fondness than awe, curiosity or shock.

I hope that makes more sense of it, and wasn't too long and waffly.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  00:44:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Strange, I always find Alassra believable. But then, believability of characters is scarcely objective,and rather subjective.

Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  01:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It isn't Alassra I find unbelievable... it is my capacity to remain anywhere near her that I doubt .
Go to Top of Page

mensch
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  15:16:47  Show Profile Send mensch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah yes, you're right.

I wonder, is the schism between Khelben and the Harpers detailed in a novel somewhere? Both the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Wikipedia state that Laeral leads the Moonstars, together with Khelben. So while technically not a founding member, she's cool enough. ;) Being the consort to Mr. "Blackstaff" Arunsun also earns her a lot of brownie points.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate to know that for destruction ice is also great and would suffice. – Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  21:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted "None" *shrugs* Don't know any of them nearly well enough to even begin to pick a favourite.

Although, the [very sexy] scene between the Simbul and El, about three-quarters into Spellfire where she admits to being lonely, might have given her my vote simply because I like troubled-but-extremely-dangerous-lasses.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 28 Jun 2010 21:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  00:44:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah yes, you're right.

I wonder, is the schism between Khelben and the Harpers detailed in a novel somewhere? Both the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Wikipedia state that Laeral leads the Moonstars, together with Khelben. So while technically not a founding member, she's cool enough. ;) Being the consort to Mr. "Blackstaff" Arunsun also earns her a lot of brownie points.

It was detailed in the last (and one of the greatest) sourcebooks of the 2E era, Cloak & Dagger. It was pretty much ignored after that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  00:51:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah yes, you're right.

It was detailed in the last (and one of the greatest) sourcebooks of the 2E era, Cloak & Dagger. It was pretty much ignored after that.

There's a few brief bits in Steven Schend's Blackstaff as well.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000