Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Seven Sister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  11:26:37  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel: the wise mage, the kind ruler, the beautyful woman
Go to Top of Page

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Dove shes not quite as overpowered as all the others.

"Why do they always come when I need to relieve myself? Tymora if you're listening-tell me that!"
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. This brings up the old debate about what's "overpowered." These aren't - - and never were - - player characters. They are mortals bred by a goddess to be her divine servants. From that point of view, a good argument can be made that they're UNDERpowered.
I did ask Ed at a long-ago Gencon about why Dove was magically weaker than the rest, and he said it was due to Mystra "molding each Chosen to serve her as their innate natures and individual talents best allow."
Not trying to start a fight here, just pointing out the underlying lore.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5054 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:19:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And without comment on Blueblade's post (other than to confirm his quotation of Ed), Ed tells me that Dove "in action" will appear briefly in the second Knights of Myth Drannor novel, SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hmm. This brings up the old debate about what's "overpowered." These aren't - - and never were - - player characters. They are mortals bred by a goddess to be her divine servants. From that point of view, a good argument can be made that they're UNDERpowered.
I did ask Ed at a long-ago Gencon about why Dove was magically weaker than the rest, and he said it was due to Mystra "molding each Chosen to serve her as their innate natures and individual talents best allow."
Not trying to start a fight here, just pointing out the underlying lore.

I suppose your right, I just that they approach the power of Elminster at least in 2nd Edition and they have far less experience(He raised most of them). However, on the same note maybe Elminster's underpowered?

"Why do they always come when I need to relieve myself? Tymora if you're listening-tell me that!"
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  15:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admire them all, but if I were forced at wand point to pick one I suppose I'd go with Sylune. (Although no wand was involved so I voted for all of them)

From everything I read she was a caring compasionate woman who made time for everyone who needed her. I like her idea for creating good in the realms by picking a small community and nurturing it and it's people. I love the idea of an imensely powerfull personage spending her days playing with children, healing the ill, and serving the good people arround her.
She truely loved the people of Shadowdale to the point where she gave her life for them. Did she know she'd "Live" on as a spirit? Perhaps, but it was still a huge sacrifice. She had to give up being there for the people of the dale as she had been. She can still watch over folk, but can never again be the kind mother figure of the dale, which I believe she cherished greatly and misses terribly.
This sacrifice and the good she still does makes her one of my favorites.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1065 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  16:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Simbul... she is just so totally cool.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Learned Scribe

88 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  23:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the Simbul is my favorite even though I now almost nothing of the seven sisters

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  00:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the simbul is crazy. literatly. she is considered by her people to be crazy. there is nothing cooler than a insane spellcaster that also happens to be an insane leader.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  12:04:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

the simbul is crazy. literatly. she is considered by her people to be crazy. there is nothing cooler than a insane spellcaster that also happens to be an insane leader.

Well that would depend on how much you had to depend on her yourself. The Simbuls insanity is directed more outwards than inwards when it comes to her role as ruler. Thankfully for her subjects I would say.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  12:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

I had to personally get the simbul that one city of Nethril did not fall. I didn't know she was insane until after this encounter

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  15:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayup, the Simbul.

She's been cracking up due to all of her "magical alterations" shes been doing to herself, I think they discuss it in the old FR Seven Sisters.

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  15:41:56  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the simbul, after reading the simbal's gift. she is confident competent and follows her ideal of rightness. she's not nearly insane as the common folks complain because the common folk would, themselves, go insane were they dealing with the fate of the realms on a daily basis. she also wipes the floor with any thayan wizard she comes across.

If I know I'm going crazy;
I must not be insane. -- Dave Mustaine

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31144 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  18:20:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haman

Ayup, the Simbul.

She's been cracking up due to all of her "magical alterations" shes been doing to herself, I think they discuss it in the old FR Seven Sisters.

Nope. It is mentioned in there that many people believe her sanity has been affected by the numerous spells she's placed on herself, but nowhere in the text does it state or even imply that her sanity really has suffered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
520 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:01:03  Show Profile  Visit GRYPHON's Homepage Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
570 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  21:00:57  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i voted all of them...of course!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Seeker

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  21:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRedBard

Although she isnt in many books, I def love Alustriel the most. She rules one of the most important places in the realms. Yet the lovely High Lady doesnt use fear tactics, she never seems to want to use her power to right everything she deems wrong in her world as most of her sisters do. She does what good she can and tries to see problems from all angles. She is kindhearted and seems to really enjoy life more than any other chosen I can think of, and may very well be the most successful in life. (save perhaps for El) Everyone of her subjects loves her for just the way she is, and she seems to really value it more then magic, wealth or power. Silverymoon just rocks, lets all rally for the High Lady fellow scribes!!!

I voted Alustriel, and I agree with the terms above.
I like her govermental style, her diplomacy and her zeal for evoke something that is lost with Myth Drannor.

Of course Laeral is also a cool face from the branch.

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
H o u s e E l e s t a r
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  00:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to go with "all", as I couldn't single any one of them out.

Though if I had too... Alustriel, because she's the one I could most likely have a romance with (even if it's of the "one night stand" variety). :blush:

That and she's trying to build a new Myth Drannor in the savage North.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  20:51:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Simbul.

Like her a lot. Wild, never loses determination when she wants something, has far interesting past than the rest of the seven, and of course, the most accomplished and powerful wizard among them.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5054 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  23:13:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. "far more interesting past" that you know of, perhaps. I would disagree, knowing rather more...but then, I doubt we'll get to see much of the early centuries of the Seven (Ed had LOTS of fiction ideas just waiting for the TSR ladies to write, back in the day, each of them picking a Sister and riding his plot summaries into battle and glory...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2207 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  00:53:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dove and storm

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  03:44:10  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was this another "fly-by flirt and hint" madam Herald?
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  06:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Laeral is my personal favorite of them all. She's the one I'd be interested in if I were in the Realms. Never really cared for Alustriel, though Sylune would be another I'd like to spend some time with.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  09:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Laeral. A close second would be Qilue, if not for her death for no reason in LP.
Laeral Silverhand Arunsun is not only a great mage, she is also a great wife for Khelben - and a caring, kind person capable of great love. And oh, I almost forgot - she is a mother of twins now too..

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  09:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Qilue and agree with Zireal that her death felt like it had no purpose but a simple way to end any chance of Eilistraee's cult ever continuing.

Qilue was an intriguing character who popped up in what I thought the best Drow series by Elaine Cunningham.

Alas, it's all water under the trollbridge now and ranting about it won't bring her or Eilistraee back.

I miss the Dark Dancer and her followers

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Talwyn on 17 Jun 2010 09:03:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000