Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Seven Sister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Nightbreeze
Acolyte

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  00:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Nightbreeze's Homepage Send Nightbreeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I quite understand your position, Nightbreeze, but there's a BIG difference between the way Ed Greenwood (who created the character) writes Storm, and the way other writers handle her. None of the specific examples you cite are Ed-penned, and most Realms scribes view them as very "out of character" for Storm.
Now if you want crazy in your Seven, The Simbul's your woman.
love,
THO

Well then, that's good to know. I was starting to veiw her as the old crazy cat-thrower from the simpsons

As for Alassra....don't know. She is of course a little bit insane ( a little? ) but she is insane only about thayans. That's not something unique ( but i think that if her cake tasted bad, she would blame a Thayan conspiracy...traitors, infiltrator! Boooom, splash, sbong! Fireballs, lightnings and energy beams all over the place! ) However i find it...just amusing...while the way Storm was portrayed was getting me really angry at her...and yes, reading the RotA novel i really hoped that Aglarel kicked her nice butt....just a little....
However, that nude-woodchopping intrigues me

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  14:45:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Dove.

Rangers represent!

Hail to Dove - the true free spirit!

A Ranger (reprensents)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said this already, probably, but it's well worth saying again...Storm.

She's just so down to earth, the kind of person I'd love to chat with.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:42:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of my favorite Storm moments are from the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. Its interesting to see her operate solo, training new Harpers, and playing the diplomat when she is trying to get to the bottom of a few mysteries.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Some of my favorite Storm moments are from the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. Its interesting to see her operate solo, training new Harpers, and playing the diplomat when she is trying to get to the bottom of a few mysteries.

Yes, I enjoyed those, myself! I can't recall a Storm story that I didn't like, to be honest.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Sarephim
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  02:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly enough I don't like any of them...

Now I'm not saying that shouldn't be powerful... but I mean come on at least give those Red Wizards a chance. All throughout the Archwizard's Trilogy I was rooting for the Shadovar... and to see them so easily defeated... ack.

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Jun 2006 02:44:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  04:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarephim

Now I'm not saying that shouldn't be powerful... but I mean come on at least give those Red Wizards a chance. All throughout the Archwizard's Trilogy I was rooting for the Shadovar... and to see them so easily defeated... ack.

But if they win, they would hurt a lot of people. :-/

Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  23:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Sarephim

But if they win, they would hurt a lot of people. :-/

Couldn't they have at least put up a fight? The bad guys are losing their touch!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  00:08:18  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Dove, truen enough a freer spirit has been never born in these Realms. 'Sides no woman wears leathers better. Now I just gotta outlive that Florin fellow

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  22:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh heh heh...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Acolyte

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  14:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to make a single choice, the top 3 in my list would be Qilué, Alustriel and Laeral.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have just bought a copy of Stormlight.

Storms last chance for me not to hate her after behaving badly in the Avatars and the Last Mythal Trilogies
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Have just bought a copy of Stormlight.

Storms last chance for me not to hate her after behaving badly in the Avatars and the Last Mythal Trilogies

The best way to understand Storm's character is to read novels written by her creator, Ed Greenwood...and Stormlight is one such novel.

The novels you mentioned were created by people who didn't create the character. I will say, though, that I didn't think Storm behaved "badly" in the Last Mythal trilogy, she was simply rather grim and serious (unlike how Ed portrays her) and kind of bland.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realised I might be misinterpreted there but was too lazy to write a longer post

I didn't mean behaved badly as such, but I didn't like how she handled the situation. She was a little too haughty for my liking, like she was coaxing the military leaders into finding the 'right' solution themselves, whilst knowing full well what was effective.

Almost like a teacher trying to coax a pupil to learn on their own, and I think that's great but a warzone is not the best place for people to 'learn from their mistakes'.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 28 Nov 2006 23:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  01:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually yeah, I agree that she sort of came off as haughty in that novel. Which isn't what she's supposed to be like at all.

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  11:26:37  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel: the wise mage, the kind ruler, the beautyful woman
Go to Top of Page

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Dove shes not quite as overpowered as all the others.

"Why do they always come when I need to relieve myself? Tymora if you're listening-tell me that!"
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. This brings up the old debate about what's "overpowered." These aren't - - and never were - - player characters. They are mortals bred by a goddess to be her divine servants. From that point of view, a good argument can be made that they're UNDERpowered.
I did ask Ed at a long-ago Gencon about why Dove was magically weaker than the rest, and he said it was due to Mystra "molding each Chosen to serve her as their innate natures and individual talents best allow."
Not trying to start a fight here, just pointing out the underlying lore.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:19:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And without comment on Blueblade's post (other than to confirm his quotation of Ed), Ed tells me that Dove "in action" will appear briefly in the second Knights of Myth Drannor novel, SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Swordcoast Wanderer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  14:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Swordcoast Wanderer's Homepage Send Swordcoast Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hmm. This brings up the old debate about what's "overpowered." These aren't - - and never were - - player characters. They are mortals bred by a goddess to be her divine servants. From that point of view, a good argument can be made that they're UNDERpowered.
I did ask Ed at a long-ago Gencon about why Dove was magically weaker than the rest, and he said it was due to Mystra "molding each Chosen to serve her as their innate natures and individual talents best allow."
Not trying to start a fight here, just pointing out the underlying lore.

I suppose your right, I just that they approach the power of Elminster at least in 2nd Edition and they have far less experience(He raised most of them). However, on the same note maybe Elminster's underpowered?

"Why do they always come when I need to relieve myself? Tymora if you're listening-tell me that!"
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  15:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admire them all, but if I were forced at wand point to pick one I suppose I'd go with Sylune. (Although no wand was involved so I voted for all of them)

From everything I read she was a caring compasionate woman who made time for everyone who needed her. I like her idea for creating good in the realms by picking a small community and nurturing it and it's people. I love the idea of an imensely powerfull personage spending her days playing with children, healing the ill, and serving the good people arround her.
She truely loved the people of Shadowdale to the point where she gave her life for them. Did she know she'd "Live" on as a spirit? Perhaps, but it was still a huge sacrifice. She had to give up being there for the people of the dale as she had been. She can still watch over folk, but can never again be the kind mother figure of the dale, which I believe she cherished greatly and misses terribly.
This sacrifice and the good she still does makes her one of my favorites.

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  16:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Simbul... she is just so totally cool.

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  23:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the Simbul is my favorite even though I now almost nothing of the seven sisters

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  00:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the simbul is crazy. literatly. she is considered by her people to be crazy. there is nothing cooler than a insane spellcaster that also happens to be an insane leader.

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  12:04:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

the simbul is crazy. literatly. she is considered by her people to be crazy. there is nothing cooler than a insane spellcaster that also happens to be an insane leader.

Well that would depend on how much you had to depend on her yourself. The Simbuls insanity is directed more outwards than inwards when it comes to her role as ruler. Thankfully for her subjects I would say.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  12:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

I had to personally get the simbul that one city of Nethril did not fall. I didn't know she was insane until after this encounter

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  15:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ayup, the Simbul.

She's been cracking up due to all of her "magical alterations" shes been doing to herself, I think they discuss it in the old FR Seven Sisters.

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  15:41:56  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the simbul, after reading the simbal's gift. she is confident competent and follows her ideal of rightness. she's not nearly insane as the common folks complain because the common folk would, themselves, go insane were they dealing with the fate of the realms on a daily basis. she also wipes the floor with any thayan wizard she comes across.

If I know I'm going crazy;
I must not be insane. -- Dave Mustaine

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  18:20:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Haman

Ayup, the Simbul.

She's been cracking up due to all of her "magical alterations" shes been doing to herself, I think they discuss it in the old FR Seven Sisters.

Nope. It is mentioned in there that many people believe her sanity has been affected by the numerous spells she's placed on herself, but nowhere in the text does it state or even imply that her sanity really has suffered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:01:03  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000