Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Seven Sister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  01:43:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention that if you happen to be a politician or diplomat staying in the Palace during Midsummer you might get to know her very well, according to what Ed has said about her habits concerning that particular holliday.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  02:10:31  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm playing Quile as an NPC in my current campaign. A truly exotic character.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  20:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to say that about Alustriel but I was afraid I might misrepresent her. I read Ed's idea of what she is like too. I also thought about all those times Drizzt went to visit her......

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  20:52:55  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm, I've read pretty much all the FR novels she features in and Of all the established characters she certainly seems the one with the most down to earth and approachable manner. (and can't help but admire a woman who cuts her firewood in the nude - from a safe distance, she's got an axe afterall!)

She seems the kind of 'fun' that sets warning klaxons blaring near and far. I can definetely see myself enjoying being dragged into what adventure she rushes headlong into next.

Such a shame she was portrayed so out of character in the Avatar trilogy.

Definet props have to go to Laeral, Dove and Alassra too.

The best backstories are longer than a sentence and shorter than a page.
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  11:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Storm, I've read pretty much all the FR novels she features in and Of all the established characters she certainly seems the one with the most down to earth and approachable manner. (and can't help but admire a woman who cuts her firewood in the nude - from a safe distance, she's got an axe afterall!)

She seems the kind of 'fun' that sets warning klaxons blaring near and far. I can definetely see myself enjoying being dragged into what adventure she rushes headlong into next.
I keep hearing about this 'nude woodcutting' thing, even to the point of Ed o' the Greenwood catching some heat for it from 'concerned citizens'. Which book was it in? 'Cause I don't recall coming across it in my (admittedly thin) collection of FR novels....

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2006 :  12:58:15  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm off the top of my head I don't recall exactly. I'd say Stormlight but she's cameoed and featured in so many FR novels I'm not 100% sure.

The best backstories are longer than a sentence and shorter than a page.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  08:11:36  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with Sylune, even if its a close race between the three Dalelands-sisters. There is something about the picture of a quiet (almost)pacifist surrounded by conflict that appeals to me and sets her apart from the rest of the family.
Go to Top of Page

Nightbreeze
Seeker

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2006 :  15:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Nightbreeze's Homepage  Click to see Nightbreeze's MSN Messenger address Send Nightbreeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I most certainly DID NOT vote that crazy psychopath named Storm Silverhand, especially after reading her screams in the 2nd Avatar book.....hmmm....and the 2nd RotA novel.....uhmm.... and at the Harper's schism.....uhm...and on many other places.

Does she do anything else than just roaming and screaming around?

Anyway i voted Laeral ^^
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5054 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  01:54:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite understand your position, Nightbreeze, but there's a BIG difference between the way Ed Greenwood (who created the character) writes Storm, and the way other writers handle her. None of the specific examples you cite are Ed-penned, and most Realms scribes view them as very "out of character" for Storm.
Now if you want crazy in your Seven, The Simbul's your woman.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2006 :  13:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its Stormlight where Storm does the whole Naked Woodchopping thing.

My Favourites definatly Storm. From the Ed Greenwood books, she seems the most down to earth, fun loving, slightly manic one. And shes the only Bard among them. And Bards are great.

Go to Top of Page

Nightbreeze
Seeker

Italy
33 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  00:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Nightbreeze's Homepage  Click to see Nightbreeze's MSN Messenger address Send Nightbreeze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I quite understand your position, Nightbreeze, but there's a BIG difference between the way Ed Greenwood (who created the character) writes Storm, and the way other writers handle her. None of the specific examples you cite are Ed-penned, and most Realms scribes view them as very "out of character" for Storm.
Now if you want crazy in your Seven, The Simbul's your woman.
love,
THO

Well then, that's good to know. I was starting to veiw her as the old crazy cat-thrower from the simpsons

As for Alassra....don't know. She is of course a little bit insane ( a little? ) but she is insane only about thayans. That's not something unique ( but i think that if her cake tasted bad, she would blame a Thayan conspiracy...traitors, infiltrator! Boooom, splash, sbong! Fireballs, lightnings and energy beams all over the place! ) However i find it...just amusing...while the way Storm was portrayed was getting me really angry at her...and yes, reading the RotA novel i really hoped that Aglarel kicked her nice butt....just a little....
However, that nude-woodchopping intrigues me

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  14:45:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Dove.

Rangers represent!

Hail to Dove - the true free spirit!

A Ranger (reprensents)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said this already, probably, but it's well worth saying again...Storm.

She's just so down to earth, the kind of person I'd love to chat with.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:42:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of my favorite Storm moments are from the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. Its interesting to see her operate solo, training new Harpers, and playing the diplomat when she is trying to get to the bottom of a few mysteries.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:50:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Some of my favorite Storm moments are from the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy. Its interesting to see her operate solo, training new Harpers, and playing the diplomat when she is trying to get to the bottom of a few mysteries.

Yes, I enjoyed those, myself! I can't recall a Storm story that I didn't like, to be honest.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Sarephim
Seeker

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  02:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage  Click to see Sarephim's MSN Messenger address Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly enough I don't like any of them...

Now I'm not saying that shouldn't be powerful... but I mean come on at least give those Red Wizards a chance. All throughout the Archwizard's Trilogy I was rooting for the Shadovar... and to see them so easily defeated... ack.

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Jun 2006 02:44:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  04:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarephim

Now I'm not saying that shouldn't be powerful... but I mean come on at least give those Red Wizards a chance. All throughout the Archwizard's Trilogy I was rooting for the Shadovar... and to see them so easily defeated... ack.

But if they win, they would hurt a lot of people. :-/

Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  23:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Sarephim

But if they win, they would hurt a lot of people. :-/

Couldn't they have at least put up a fight? The bad guys are losing their touch!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  00:08:18  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Dove, truen enough a freer spirit has been never born in these Realms. 'Sides no woman wears leathers better. Now I just gotta outlive that Florin fellow

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  22:34:26  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh heh heh...

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Alediran
Seeker

Argentina
36 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  14:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Alediran's Homepage  Click to see Alediran's MSN Messenger address Send Alediran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to make a single choice, the top 3 in my list would be Qilué, Alustriel and Laeral.

Alediran of House Tir'ent from Evermeet, the most knowledgeable elven family about Faerūn.

- Member of the Elven Netbook proyect
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have just bought a copy of Stormlight.

Storms last chance for me not to hate her after behaving badly in the Avatars and the Last Mythal Trilogies
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:10:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Have just bought a copy of Stormlight.

Storms last chance for me not to hate her after behaving badly in the Avatars and the Last Mythal Trilogies

The best way to understand Storm's character is to read novels written by her creator, Ed Greenwood...and Stormlight is one such novel.

The novels you mentioned were created by people who didn't create the character. I will say, though, that I didn't think Storm behaved "badly" in the Last Mythal trilogy, she was simply rather grim and serious (unlike how Ed portrays her) and kind of bland.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2006 :  23:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realised I might be misinterpreted there but was too lazy to write a longer post

I didn't mean behaved badly as such, but I didn't like how she handled the situation. She was a little too haughty for my liking, like she was coaxing the military leaders into finding the 'right' solution themselves, whilst knowing full well what was effective.

Almost like a teacher trying to coax a pupil to learn on their own, and I think that's great but a warzone is not the best place for people to 'learn from their mistakes'.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 28 Nov 2006 23:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2006 :  01:20:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually yeah, I agree that she sort of came off as haughty in that novel. Which isn't what she's supposed to be like at all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000