Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Erlkazar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  19:43:56  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, and well met, Most Learned Sages!
I had taken a brief respite from gaming when the product, Lands of Intrigue came out. I have recently downloaded it and am reading through it now. I was surprised to find a new kingdom there, Erlkazar. Although Carradoon and Soaring Spirit (Edificant Library)was detailed in the Cleric Quintet, the rest was new to me. I must say that I am intrigued... Has anymore been done with this area? Have any of you fine folks ran a campaign there? There was a novel, title escapes me, that involved a young man (Tethyrian Royalty?) that was guarded by a clan of ogres that had served an old Tethyrian Noble family, was this novel set here? Were these Ogres the Shieldbreaker Clan mentioned in the info about Erlkazar? It's been a long time since I read that one...

ShadowJack

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  21:23:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel you're thinking of is called Faces of Deception by Troy Denning, and only its first chapter is set in Erlkazar. A more recent novel Master of Chains by Jess Lebow is set in Erlkazar, though. Apart from that I think that the only thing that's been done to Erlkazar since the publication of LoI is shifting it slightly to the north when they changed the map for the 3ed FRCS.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  21:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is the recent (released this month) novel called Master of Chains, by Jess Lebow. Itīs based in Erlkazar (creation of Steven Schend). So, you will find good lore about the local in the novel, in Steven Schend thread, in Jess Lebow thread, and in Master of Chains thread here in the forum.
All the good coments of the other scribes about the novel are only sharpening my curiosity about Jess work...

Chosen of Moradin

Wow! Kajehase beat me and I donīt notice.
I think that Iīm a little slow, today...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 22 Sep 2005 21:27:36
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  18:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong here, but I seem to recall that Ed Greenwood's marvelous adventure The Endless Stair was set in Erlkazar?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  20:48:35  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asgetrion,

Pray tell, Where can the adventure the Endless Stair be found?

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CM8 The Endless Stair, Ed's first formal design project for TSR, doesn't have a definite setting, at least not in the Realms -- it's suggested for Glantri, on Mystara. It's eminently Realms-compatible and fits the Sword Coast backlands and the Dales particularly well.

Edited by - Faraer on 23 Sep 2005 23:39:27
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  05:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I consider the Endless Stair and The Five Shires (both Ed creations for the then-called D&D Known World) "lost Realmslore," I haven't looked at ES for so long I don't know if it would fit. I actually built Erlkazar out of another 1E D&D module...and I'm sure I've mentioned it in public before, but the name's lost to me. Can see the green cover and a ghostly face of a king hovering over his own dead body...but nothing more.

George? Eric? Either of you remember what module it sprang from?

Sorry... Must be my aging brain....or lack of sleep....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  13:59:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Master of Chains...

Good read, that, but while set in and around Duhlnarim, the novel doesn't give us that much in terms of setting. As Duhlnarim was the central location for my campaign 15+ years back, I can see it in my mind's eye (even if the details didn't make it into LOI)...

You know the rich part of town when you get places taller than two stories and the streets move up from mud tracks to corduroy (i.e. logs set atop the mud). The truly rich have paid to pave the streets around their homes with cobblestones.

Duhlnarim's still a smallish town/city but it's the second largest settlement in Erlkazar, after Llorbauth. Thus, while the rising stars of Erlkazarn society move to the capital when they get the chance, many remain in Duhlnarim as it's more comfortable, less politically charged, and more easy-going. Think of Duhlnarim as kind of a medieval New Orleans attitude of sorts...with many wash-outs or drop-outs of the Mages' Academy hanging around as historians or scribes or merchants with one or two spells under their belts.

When I've the time, we'll talk about ghosts that haunt its streets...as that seems an appropriate conversation to have with October creeping toward our windows...

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2005 :  14:20:44  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend,
It is very fine, Indeed, to hear from the one who originally penned such an interesting section of the Realms! Thank You! Would you describe Erlkazar as having a "scottish" feel to it? Seeing as how it is set in the highlands of Tethyr, this is how I was picturing it...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Goatstone
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  01:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Goatstone's Homepage Send Goatstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I glad I stumbled in here, I've got a pbem game set in Erlkazar (modified slightly according to my whim) that's set to start as soon as I get enough players. Ostensibly it's N2 The Forest Oracle, the address is http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/forestoracle/ if anyone is interested.

I remember The Endless Stair well, as I recall it didn't have an official setting but I can definitely see it fitting into Erlkazar.

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork. - Edward Abbey
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  12:25:30  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will correct myself before a Sage grabs me by the ear and whacks me with his staff... According to Lands of Intrigue Erlkazar is not in the highlands of Tethyr, but is very similar country to the highlands of Tethyr. I still would love to know if it was written to have a Scottish feel to it...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  16:24:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowJack

I will correct myself before a Sage grabs me by the ear and whacks me with his staff... According to Lands of Intrigue Erlkazar is not in the highlands of Tethyr, but is very similar country to the highlands of Tethyr. I still would love to know if it was written to have a Scottish feel to it...

Aye, and remember that up until the Black Days, it actually was part of Tethyr, so there's still quite a few generations of folks who remember this as a Tethyrian duchy, not the last two generations born under the new flag... I'd say the characters in Master of Chains (at least the primaries, not the elder characters) were all born after Erlkazar became its own country.

Go to Top of Page

Goatstone
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  01:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Goatstone's Homepage Send Goatstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Can see the green cover and a ghostly face of a king hovering over his own dead body...but nothing more.

Sounds to me like N3 Destiny of Kings. With Treasure Hunt, Under Illefarn, The Forest Oracle, and Against the Cult of the Reptile God, the N series is probably my favorite, even if the N does stand for Novice. Ah, nostalgia.

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/ModPages/ModScans/N3.html

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork. - Edward Abbey
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  13:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Goatstone

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Can see the green cover and a ghostly face of a king hovering over his own dead body...but nothing more.

Sounds to me like N3 Destiny of Kings. With Treasure Hunt, Under Illefarn, The Forest Oracle, and Against the Cult of the Reptile God, the N series is probably my favorite, even if the N does stand for Novice. Ah, nostalgia.

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/ModPages/ModScans/N3.html

Thank you. That's the one.......And so now folks have an adventure set in Erlkazar (sort of) if they want it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000