Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Orphans in Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  19:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Odd question time -- just who takes care of orphans in most human Realms societies? I remember reading somewhere that the Church of Chauntea usually takes lost and abandoned children in; and I get the idea that the Illmatarans also look out for such children as well. (A Banite or Loviataran orphangae, on the other hand, probably looks like something out of Oliver Twist...)

I was just wondering on this after learning some family history, and it made me curious about how these things get handled in my favorite fictional world.

Thanks for any help.

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  20:36:30  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... I once thought on that. I think temples.
Like Cadderly, he was raised by monks and priests.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  20:43:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This like most things most likely depends on the region and/or temples in the area.

Some communities might apentice the children if there are no living relitives near by. Others might go directly to slavery. It is true certain religions would offer good care for children as well.

In areas of law the child(ren) might be placed under the protation of the ruler.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  20:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some areas they are simply beggars. That's how Regis and Artemis Entreri got started.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  21:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Street gangs are probably one of the largest, followed by slavers perhaps?

The churches.

There are also independent people who will take in the occasional orphan. One of my PC's started out as an orphan and opened up a vocational school in the Dales. He sent out people to recruit them into his school. He trained them and equipped them and sent them on their merry way.

Eventually he was given enough in donations by the graduates that he could retire from adventuring in order to keep the school open.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2005 :  01:10:40  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For orphans in the Realms, depending on where they are found in which region or city, if they are lucky, who knows they might be recruited as an apprentice for a mage who thinks they have potential.
Churches caring for orphans...perhaps yes but that may depend on whether the church that accepts orphans is found in the city or region where large numbers of orphans are found, hopefully the church has the funds to care for them as not all churches are that wealthy. If not, a worse fate for the orphans would be being pressed into slavery by the press gangs such as those press gangs of Zhentil Keep and in some cities.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000