Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Gatekeeper's Crystal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  02:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A warm Hello to all the scribes in candlekeep! Right, I have a list of the following questions here:

1) Anyone know of the Gatekeeper's Crystal? And its history and any events related to it?

2) Who was this Ice-Queen and the Lich Vrandak? I heard they were involved in the war against Myth Ondath, is it true?

3) Also, was the Gatekeeper's Crystal involved in the events leading to the formation of Hellgate Keep?

Replies are greatly appreciated by me as I had been wondering about these questions. Thanks to all who reply.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  02:24:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical has details on the Gatekeeper's Crystal, as does the 2e adventure Hellgate Keep. The Gatekeeper's Crystal had to do with the downfall of Hellgate Keep as it stood in modern times, i.e. as an infernal pit of evil in Faerun, not in the fall of Ascalhorn in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  03:31:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ), a wonderful source of lore, is now available for free. It can be downloaded from the WotC downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  08:09:11  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, pardon my asking, any ideas for question 2?

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  13:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

No answer on Vrandak, but I believe Iraclea the Ice Queen is in the Epic Level Handbook, though I could be mistaken....

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  14:01:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

From A Grand History of the Realms -

quote:
632 DR (Year of Burning Skies)
The Ice Queen's Winter descends of Myth Ondath starting in Eleint. The siege army of the Ice Queen is led by the lich Vrandak the Burnished, and the army is accompanied by magical winter storms that last out the year.
See the Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves accessory for more lore.

It can be downloaded for free here:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  15:13:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ), a wonderful source of lore, is now available for free. It can be downloaded from the WotC downloads page.

Isn`t it still supressed in the realms?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  17:25:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

Yes and no... Ed said, on March 13th, 2004, in the Ask Ed thread:

quote:
Volo went so far as to write a book entitled Volo's Guide To All Things Magical, and was threatened (by various wizards) with dire consequences if it was ever published.

Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster's pond. He's free again now, and I fear we've all not heard the last from Volo. :}

Before that tome was released, references to it always included the line "a suppressed work". Since it has been released, I decided to start using the "formerly a suppressed work" line as kind of an in-joke.

Incidentally, in one of the comics, we see Volo handing over the notes for that book and asking for assurance that he'll be protected. I'll have to check later and see if I can find the right issue and page. It was a little scene in the background, and one that I simply didn't catch at the time.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Aug 2005 17:28:41
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  20:12:10  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes and no... Ed said, on March 13th, 2004, in the Ask Ed thread:

quote:
Volo went so far as to write a book entitled Volo's Guide To All Things Magical, and was threatened (by various wizards) with dire consequences if it was ever published.

Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster's pond. He's free again now, and I fear we've all not heard the last from Volo. :}

Before that tome was released, references to it always included the line "a suppressed work". Since it has been released, I decided to start using the "formerly a suppressed work" line as kind of an in-joke.

Incidentally, in one of the comics, we see Volo handing over the notes for that book and asking for assurance that he'll be protected. I'll have to check later and see if I can find the right issue and page. It was a little scene in the background, and one that I simply didn't catch at the time.

This may sound foolish, but why did they not let him publish it? One of Mystras duties is spreading the use and knowlegde of magic, and that is precisely what the guide does,so why should even the chosen oppose it? I mean, any evil person with the power to use an artifact described in the guide should be mighty enough to know about it WITHOUT regularly checking volos writings.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  20:17:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there is a difference between speading the use of appropriately powerful magic items depending on someones station and abilities, and the teaching of those who have the talent to become wizards, and publishing the means of using and the potential location of artifacts that can do a lot of damage.

Plus, I'm not sure everyone "suppresing" that work was specifically doing it as a follower of Mystra.

And sometimes a well meaning moron that learns how to do something with an artifact might be worse than a vile villain that does the same thing.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 09 Aug 2005 20:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  22:32:06  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because no world is short a supply of morons, while you actually have to train to become a vile villian (even longer to become a *powerful* vile villian).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  22:55:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This may sound foolish, but why did they not let him publish it? One of Mystras duties is spreading the use and knowlegde of magic, and that is precisely what the guide does,so why should even the chosen oppose it? I mean, any evil person with the power to use an artifact described in the guide should be mighty enough to know about it WITHOUT regularly checking volos writings.

Mages like their secrets, particularly secrets that give them an edge against other mages. Volo likes to reveal secrets -- including some that would be better left unknown. Hence, there is a conflict of interest.

Notice that it's a Chosen of Mystra who works with Volo.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  10:11:16  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Mages like their secrets, particularly secrets that give them an edge against other mages. Volo likes to reveal secrets -- including some that would be better left unknown. Hence, there is a conflict of interest.

Notice that it's a Chosen of Mystra who works with Volo.

I understand. It`s just their "silencing" of Volo that rubs me the wrong way. I find myself thinking: stupid small-minded powerhungry information-suppresing morons, mutter mutter grumble(chosen of mystra excepted)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000