Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and Swords series.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  03:58:27  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Songs and Swords series.

K, ty so much!

Can you plz also tell me what the series is about, like, a synopsis.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2006 :  05:06:50  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Utilise the SEARCH function here at Candlekeep.

There's been plenty of scrolls dedicated to the discussion of Elaine's Songs and Swords books. You should find them most enlightening.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:23:25  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what does DR stand for i know its some sort of callender thing but how does it work
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:29:13  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

what does DR stand for i know its some sort of callender thing but how does it work

Dale Reconing.

It was the roll of years that have been used ever since the Standing Stone was raised in the Dales.

But other nations have thier own roll of years. Cormyr does for example.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Jul 2006 03:29:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2006 :  03:47:18  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

Dale Reconing.

It was the roll of years that have been used ever since the Standing Stone was raised in the Dales.

But other nations have thier own roll of years. Cormyr does for example.

Just to add a little to Kuje's reply...

All three editions of the FRCS elaborate on the various Dating Keeping methods used across the Realms. Check Ed's replies here as well, as he's discussed them a bit.

Edited by - The Sage on 22 Jul 2006 03:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  16:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone.

I have an issue, if you can call it that, and by the title of this thread it seems the place to post. I'm trying to decide on which books I should read. I'm holding off on buying new novels for a while until I get a chance to read some of the ones I already have. I currently own 77 novels(not including anthologies), and a fraction of those I've not read. If I list them here, can you all suggest which ones I should read first? Okay, for all novels that are the direct sequel to another book, asume I have read the prequel, unless the prequel is also listed.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
The Ogre's Pact, Giant Among Us
Shadows of Doom
Cormyr, Beyond the High Road
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Sands of the Soul, Heirs of Prophecy, Lord of Stormweather(I have actually decided not to read these until I can find Black Wolf)
Son of Thunder
The Crimson Gold(Black Wolf problem), The Yellow Silk

By the way, I'm willing to go pick up another novel or two to complete a set, if any of you think it's imperative that I finish the series.

Okay, that's it. Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  17:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone read the old Harpers book "Soldiers of Ice" (I think that's that title) I'd like to know what you think of it before I start reading it.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  17:52:51  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soldiers of Ice is among my personal favorites, but I am in minority there I think. If you like gnomes and gnolls its great. I will not say to much so as to not give you any spoilers.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  18:14:17  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

Hey everyone.

I have an issue, if you can call it that, and by the title of this thread it seems the place to post. I'm trying to decide on which books I should read. I'm holding off on buying new novels for a while until I get a chance to read some of the ones I already have. I currently own 77 novels(not including anthologies), and a fraction of those I've not read. If I list them here, can you all suggest which ones I should read first? Okay, for all novels that are the direct sequel to another book, asume I have read the prequel, unless the prequel is also listed.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
Shadows of Doom
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Sands of the Soul, Heirs of Prophecy, Lord of Stormweather(I have actually decided not to read these until I can find Black Wolf)
Son of Thunder

By the way, I'm willing to go pick up another novel or two to complete a set, if any of you think it's imperative that I finish the series.

I'd read Darkwalker first, because it was the first ever published FR novel. :) However, a lot of those that are on your list seem to be books that are part of trilogies.... if you don't have the other books of the trilogy, I'd hold off on reading them.

Many of the class books are stand alone, so you could read them....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29792 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  21:01:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Von Seossk

Has anyone read the old Harpers book "Soldiers of Ice" (I think that's that title) I'd like to know what you think of it before I start reading it.

I've not read it in many years, because I didn't like it the last time I read it.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Seeker

27 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, one good and one bad, I'll have to read it and see how I like it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:35:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey everyone.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
Shadows of Doom
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder

I'd start with Darkwalker on Moonshae. 'Twas the first FR novel, and the first novel I read upon its initial release.

Oh, and you've listed Son of Thunder twice.

Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh...I own TWO Son of Thunders.

Edited by - Mentalist on 09 Aug 2006 03:10:06
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey everyone.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
Shadows of Doom
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder

Personally I'd say to go with Cormyr Saga or Elfsong. Both very interesting story. Maybe it's time I reread Cormyr...

Lord Nemes
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Learned Scribe

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:38:38  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well looks like you have Sons of Thunder lol.
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks for the input everyone. Darkwalker on Moonshae it is!

Edited by - Mentalist on 09 Aug 2006 05:31:37
Go to Top of Page

jmf
Seeker

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:25:02  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage  Send jmf an AOL message Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have a question what book should i read after i finish starless night?

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmf

i have a question what book should i read after i finish starless night?

Well, Siege of Darkness is the Third book in the Legacy of the Drow. If you are tired of RAS (or Drizzt), then I recommend Paul S. Kemp's Shadow Witness.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can recommend finishing the Legacy of the Drow while it is still fresh in your mind. You have a much more enjoyable reading experience with the details on the top of you memory... I made the mistake of taking a break in the middle of the LotD and had to reread large parts of the last of the books i had read before i started the new, simply to get back on track.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  22:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i myself started out with the Hunters Blade trilogy...but it worked...i used to mostly read DL...and then a friend was reading some drizzt books....so i went to the store and got the newest series on drizzt and then after finishing that...i went back and read the rest of the drizzt books starts from Homeland and ending in sea of swords or something...but for me reading Hunters Blade worked for an introduction...and i just finished Drizzt so im looking for a new place to start in the realms considering so far the drizzt books is all ive read....so ive been using this thread as a great way to find out where to start...i think ive decided to go back and read Sembia and the Avatar series...and Cleric Quintet and some of Elaines books....i mean from what ive heard of your suggestions...that seems an exeptable path to me

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  00:57:50  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey maybe this isn't the right topic to this, but i don't feel like looking around. In cormyr : a novel amedahast (royal magician of cormyr) meets Azoun when they were both young how is it that Azoun was king after several others?
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha there were several Azouns, the one u're referring to is Azoun I and the one most realmers know and love is Azoun IV. Ya know something like feudal kings in Europe, Louis XVI and Henry V. But they were both randy as goats so i guess the traits stuck
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Learned Scribe

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:46:13  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SOLDIERS OF ICE

The best part about this book is that it is set in (I don't specifically remember), not Waterdeep, the Dalelands, Cormyr, or some other overexposed location. Dave Cook isn't a favorite of mine, but this book deserves a looking into simply because of its originality. Reading it in the summer time may help cool you off as it provides many detailed scenarios involving a temperate climate.
Go to Top of Page

jmf
Seeker

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  16:18:53  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage  Send jmf an AOL message Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe i'll just finish starless night first then think about starting siege of darkness?

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000