Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  21:01:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Von Seossk

Has anyone read the old Harpers book "Soldiers of Ice" (I think that's that title) I'd like to know what you think of it before I start reading it.

I've not read it in many years, because I didn't like it the last time I read it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, one good and one bad, I'll have to read it and see how I like it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:35:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

Hey everyone.

I have an issue, if you can call it that, and by the title of this thread it seems the place to post. I'm trying to decide on which books I should read. I'm holding off on buying new novels for a while until I get a chance to read some of the ones I already have. I currently own 77 novels(not including anthologies), and a fraction of those I've not read. If I list them here, can you all suggest which ones I should read first? Okay, for all novels that are the direct sequel to another book, asume I have read the prequel, unless the prequel is also listed.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
The Ogre's Pact, Giant Among Us
Shadows of Doom
Cormyr, Beyond the High Road
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Sands of the Soul, Heirs of Prophecy, Lord of Stormweather(I have actually decided not to read these until I can find Black Wolf)
Son of Thunder
The Crimson Gold(Black Wolf problem), The Yellow Silk

By the way, I'm willing to go pick up another novel or two to complete a set, if any of you think it's imperative that I finish the series.

Okay, that's it. Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions!

I'd start with Darkwalker on Moonshae. 'Twas the first FR novel, and the first novel I read upon its initial release.

Oh, and you've listed Son of Thunder twice.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  01:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh...I own TWO Son of Thunders.

Edited by - Mentalist on 09 Aug 2006 03:10:06
Go to Top of Page

Lord Nemes
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Lord Nemes's Homepage Send Lord Nemes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mentalist

Hey everyone.

I have an issue, if you can call it that, and by the title of this thread it seems the place to post. I'm trying to decide on which books I should read. I'm holding off on buying new novels for a while until I get a chance to read some of the ones I already have. I currently own 77 novels(not including anthologies), and a fraction of those I've not read. If I list them here, can you all suggest which ones I should read first? Okay, for all novels that are the direct sequel to another book, asume I have read the prequel, unless the prequel is also listed.

Crown of Fire
Darkwalker on Moonshae
The Parched Sea
The Lost Library of Cormanthyr
The Ogre's Pact, Giant Among Us
Shadows of Doom
Cormyr, Beyond the High Road
Blackstaff
Elfsong
Son of Thunder
Sands of the Soul, Heirs of Prophecy, Lord of Stormweather(I have actually decided not to read these until I can find Black Wolf)
Son of Thunder
The Crimson Gold(Black Wolf problem), The Yellow Silk

By the way, I'm willing to go pick up another novel or two to complete a set, if any of you think it's imperative that I finish the series.

Okay, that's it. Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions!

Personally I'd say to go with Cormyr Saga or Elfsong. Both very interesting story. Maybe it's time I reread Cormyr...

Lord Nemes
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  02:38:38  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well looks like you have Sons of Thunder lol.
Go to Top of Page

Mentalist
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  03:08:41  Show Profile  Visit Mentalist's Homepage Send Mentalist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks for the input everyone. Darkwalker on Moonshae it is!

Edited by - Mentalist on 09 Aug 2006 05:31:37
Go to Top of Page

jmf
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:25:02  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have a question what book should i read after i finish starless night?

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmf

i have a question what book should i read after i finish starless night?

Well, Siege of Darkness is the Third book in the Legacy of the Drow. If you are tired of RAS (or Drizzt), then I recommend Paul S. Kemp's Shadow Witness.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can recommend finishing the Legacy of the Drow while it is still fresh in your mind. You have a much more enjoyable reading experience with the details on the top of you memory... I made the mistake of taking a break in the middle of the LotD and had to reread large parts of the last of the books i had read before i started the new, simply to get back on track.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  22:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i myself started out with the Hunters Blade trilogy...but it worked...i used to mostly read DL...and then a friend was reading some drizzt books....so i went to the store and got the newest series on drizzt and then after finishing that...i went back and read the rest of the drizzt books starts from Homeland and ending in sea of swords or something...but for me reading Hunters Blade worked for an introduction...and i just finished Drizzt so im looking for a new place to start in the realms considering so far the drizzt books is all ive read....so ive been using this thread as a great way to find out where to start...i think ive decided to go back and read Sembia and the Avatar series...and Cleric Quintet and some of Elaines books....i mean from what ive heard of your suggestions...that seems an exeptable path to me

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  00:57:50  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey maybe this isn't the right topic to this, but i don't feel like looking around. In cormyr : a novel amedahast (royal magician of cormyr) meets Azoun when they were both young how is it that Azoun was king after several others?
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
haha there were several Azouns, the one u're referring to is Azoun I and the one most realmers know and love is Azoun IV. Ya know something like feudal kings in Europe, Louis XVI and Henry V. But they were both randy as goats so i guess the traits stuck
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:46:13  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SOLDIERS OF ICE

The best part about this book is that it is set in (I don't specifically remember), not Waterdeep, the Dalelands, Cormyr, or some other overexposed location. Dave Cook isn't a favorite of mine, but this book deserves a looking into simply because of its originality. Reading it in the summer time may help cool you off as it provides many detailed scenarios involving a temperate climate.
Go to Top of Page

jmf
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  16:18:53  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
maybe i'll just finish starless night first then think about starting siege of darkness?

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:09:39  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it may be the best.. Siege of Darkness is a nice book, I have to mention
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  02:41:46  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the old Harper series. I wished they'd bring those back. I know you can find many at a used book store. The first 2 or 3 Elaine Cunningham Danilo Thann novels were part of this 16 book series. I also liked the "shadow" books in this run.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year was the first time I was introduced to the forgotten Realms and I read the Hunters Blades Trilogy! This got me hooked and I think is a perfect intoduction into the Forgotten Realms!

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Bombadillo

Last year was the first time I was introduced to the forgotten Realms and I read the Hunters Blades Trilogy! This got me hooked and I think is a perfect intoduction into the Forgotten Realms!

you should go into the Candlekeep main web site and find the downloadable Realms Bibliography...it will be a big help to you as the older players and/or scribes discuss Realms Materials..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey
in the avatar series there is also the book prince of lies and the crucible:trial of cyric. Do i include them?
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  21:44:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

hey
in the avatar series there is also the book prince of lies and the crucible:trial of cyric. Do i include them?

I tend to lump them into the same storyline overall. additionally, the shadow of the avatar trilogy shows some of the behind the scenes tales and goings on with Elminster and the rangers three.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2006 :  01:15:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

hey

Yes.

The reprinted "Avatar Series" now includes the original ToT trilogy -- Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep, with Prince of Lies and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad added to the original trilogy to make the series.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Sep 2006 01:16:10
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  18:32:27  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the recommended FR reading list it tells me to read the avatar series but after the shadow of the avatar it tells me to read the prince of lies so should i read it when i read the avatar series or after the shadow of the avatar? and if it is the later were do i include the crucible?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  01:12:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend you read the novels following the format they've now been re-printed in.

That means the original ToT books -- Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep -- followed by Prince of Lies and Crucible. From there, you start on Shadows of the Avatar.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  21:00:04  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On this same website i found out that there were newer versions of the avatar series. But when i went to a bookstore they told me the book was out of print. Is there a reason why i can't get the newer books?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  01:26:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's likely that even the reprints have sold out in some locations -- I knew they have here in Perth.

I'd try a few online bookstores, you're likely to have better luck.

Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  15:53:25  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was asking about bladesinger character builds a while back on the RPG thread and someone mentioned to me RAS writing one and i know that it's from the realms of magic short story. but they also mentioned that there was a bladesinger in year of rogue dragons (or realms of the dragons, i can't remember which).........anyway, my question is: can anyone tell me which book(s)it actually is and if the character is in the story enough to satisfy my bladesinging needs.i think after this i have exausted the realms novels of all the books with my favorite prestige class. thanks in advance for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  16:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

i was asking about bladesinger character builds a while back on the RPG thread and someone mentioned to me RAS writing one and i know that it's from the realms of magic short story. but they also mentioned that there was a bladesinger in year of rogue dragons (or realms of the dragons, i can't remember which).........anyway, my question is: can anyone tell me which book(s)it actually is and if the character is in the story enough to satisfy my bladesinging needs.i think after this i have exausted the realms novels of all the books with my favorite prestige class. thanks in advance for the help.

this isn't really a "novel" post but the bladesinger first appeared as a kit in 2E in the Complete Book of Elves...than mentioned in the 2E Elves of Evermeet...it was later reprinted in 3E in the Races of Faerun (I think )

and as for the "novel" bladesingers...they aren't really like much of the original flavour of the bladesinger...the bladesinger was one of the most ancient elven arts and to be a bladesinger made you "the best of the best" and a champion of the elven race...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is the Bladesinger novel, in the Fighter series, and there is one bladesinger in the Rogue Dragons trilogy first book - I donīt read the two others, yet.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:12:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

Taegan Swiftwind appeared in all three books of the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. He's an avariel bladesinger. I've no idea whether or not that meets your bladesinging needs...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Oct 2006 17:13:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000