Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:21:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm no fan of the Elminster books, myself.

As for the Lost Gods books, you can skip book 2, Fistandantilus Returns. It's a Dragginglance novel, and one that failed to do anything for me. The only thing it really does is introduce a single character for the third book, Tymora's Luck. And since that character is a kender, the backstory isn't terribly important.

...just...

Which part boggles your mind, the title of the second book, or the fact that a Realms novel (set almost entirely in the planes) has a kender in it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As for the Lost Gods books, you can skip book 2, Fistandantilus Returns. It's a Dragginglance novel, and one that failed to do anything for me. The only thing it really does is introduce a single character for the third book, Tymora's Luck. And since that character is a kender, the backstory isn't terribly important.

...just...

Which part boggles your mind, the title of the second book, or the fact that a Realms novel (set almost entirely in the planes) has a kender in it?

Well met

I think it may be thy first original sentance, Furry One

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:31:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

My list of books to obtain/read. Any feedback on ones to steer clear of or get at all costs would be helpful :)
(snip)

I guess I'll follow everyone's lead and offer more specific opinions...

Evermeet -- One of my personal faves. Highly recommended.

Shadow of the Avatars trilogy -- It's been a long time since I read this trilogy; I really wasn't a fan. I should prolly reread it, to give it another try.

Lost Gods series -- See above my note about book 2; Books 1 and 3 are by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, who are phenomenal Realms authors. I can't recommend these books highly enough, especially if you enjoyed the Finder's Stone trilogy.

Elminster Series -- Again, I'm just not a huge fan of the Elminster books, save for Elminster's Daughter, which I really enjoyed.

Starlight and Shadows series -- Elaine is another Realms phenom. These books are also highly recommended.

War of the spider queen -- I just started reading it myself, so I can't give an opinion.

Erevis Cale trilogy -- I've not read any of those, since I've not read the Sembia books (still trying to get them all). Still, I've heard nothing but good things about these books.

The Rogues Series -- I've not ready many of the class books at all, and none of the Rogues ones.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  17:37:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

quote:

quote:

...just...

Well met

I think it may be thy first original sentance, Furry One

Yeah, I guess it could be that, too. It's odd, since the Realms is his playground, but most of Ed's novels just haven't grabbed me. Admittedly, I've enjoyed the two most recent ones I've read (The City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel, co-written with Elaine, and Elminster's Daughter), so I should perhaps go back and re-read some of the others. It's been my experience that sometimes a book you don't care for early on becomes quite enjoyable years later.

Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  18:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the Rogues books, they kind of need to be addressed one at a time, as they are all completely unrelated.

The Alabaster Staff by Edward Bolme was my favorite of the series, with an interesting plot and interesting characters. This features kind of a slight-of-hand type rogue - not your typical hardened thief and not a killer.

The Yellow Silk by Don Bassingthwaite was also very enjoyable for me, as it featured a Bard, a profession I wish would come up more often in novels, as I find them fascinating. A good story that taught me a lot about bards.

The Crimson Gold by Voronica Whitney-Robinson features the character Tazi from the Sembia series. This book's first 200-250 pages were amazingly good, but the ending was kind of a let down for me. From comments I've read on the book, this is kind of a common assessment. Still not a bad read. Tazi's a great character, and I am disappointed Voronica doesn't write for FR anymore, because I'd like to know more about her.

The Black Bouquet by Richard Lee Byers is the last in the series. Or the first. I'm not entirely sure of publication order. This was interesting story about a theft gone bad. I enjoyed the plot line of this book - it had several twists in it, and the reader is never fully sure of what is really happening until after the fact.

The biggest limitation to all of these class-based novels is that they are one-shot books. The reason, in my opinion, that trilogies are so popular in a fantasy setting is that you get 900-1000 pages to tell a story rather than trying to fit it all into 300 pages. Some of these stories could have been expanded quite well, and I would have enjoyed them a lot more. As it stands, however, I would rate these novels as average to above average - none of them were bad, but I think there are other books in FR (Erevis Cale trilogy in particular since you're into rogues) that are better.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  18:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

The Black Bouquet by Richard Lee Byers is the last in the series. Or the first. I'm not entirely sure of publication order.

Well met

The actual order of the Rogues series is:

The Alabaster Staff
The Black Bouquet
The Crimson Gold
The Yellow Silk

Not that it really matters, and the tales are not linked and can be read in any order.

Thank ye for the recommendations folks. Keep 'em coming

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  19:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kender in Faerun = forks in eyeball time, here.
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  20:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

The actual order of the Rogues series is:

Alphabetical Order - who would have guessed?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  21:08:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Kender in Faerun = forks in eyeball time, here.

If it's any consolation, it was just a single kender, and most of the novel was spent in Sigil and the planes. 'Twas only at the end that having a kender in the Realms was even mentioned.

Besides, with kender wanderlust being what it is, I'd be surprised if there weren't already a couple of isolated kender in the Realms, having arrived either thru planar travel or via spelljamming.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  13:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the recommendations Scribes, I think its fairly clear it'll be worth the money to buy a new copy of Evermeet rather than wait for a second hand one to appear hehe.

I think I will get Fistandantilus Returns too, partly because I loved the Finders Stone trilogy and want to read as much as I can related to it, and partly because I'd feel silly having an incomplete trilogy

Perhaps I'll rob a bookstore.....
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  13:28:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

I think I will get Fistandantilus Returns too, partly because I loved the Finders Stone trilogy and want to read as much as I can related to it, and partly because I'd feel silly having an incomplete trilogy
I didn't enjoy the second book myself... which is likely a surprise for some considering my love for Dragonlance. My dislike primarily revolves around the fact that the events of the novel itself remain largely in "disputed canon territory" -- in other words, both 2e and 3e versions of the DL setting provide alternate interpretations of the novel and only adds to further confuse readers not already familiar with Fisty's origins. I'd be more happy if game designers decided which interpretation was accurate and stick with that -- because with DL, newer lore doesn't always trump older lore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2006 :  17:13:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think it was all that interesting, and I dislike the DL setting's habit of going sideways and backwards, rather than forwards. The fact that this one was apparently either an alternate timeline or one that got pre-empted (I wasn't sure which) didn't help at all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  01:00:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, there's a healthy debate on the DL boards at the moment about the actual status of this novel in the DL timeline. I'll quote any interesting tidbits that pop-up here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2006 :  10:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage. I've not got involved in the DL setting Lore and such, only those novels I've read (Chronicles (inc Summer Flame), Legends, and War of Souls), so I probably wouldn't understand any twists in the canon stuff, just appreciate it as a simple story :)

I went on a spending spree yesterday (oops!) and got Evermeet, Finders Bane, Fistandantilus Reborn, and the Starlight and Shadows gift set for £25 :)

Should keep me going for a while. Can't find a copy of Tymoras luck for less than £15, and the Erevis Cale trilogy will have to wait until it's a bit older and cheaper :).
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  08:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finders Bane was pretty good :) It does amuse me how Finder is a less than perfect god. Very sweet ending too.

I know it's not strictly FR, but are there any other novels set in Sigil?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  09:52:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of Tymora's Luck happens there, but I believe that's it.

Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  19:00:42  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey guys, i have ordered the Dragon back issue where eliath craulnober uses the moonblade. i have heard about it and i can' wait to read it. however, outside of "evermeet, island of elves" i haven't read any books with him in it. which novels spotlight eliath? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  19:54:08  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith appears in Elaine's Songs & Swords-books (except in Silver Shadows which is set in Tethyr during the Interregnum), Ed Greenwood's Silverfall, and in their collaboration - The City of Splendours.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  20:48:05  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you Kajehase, so i guess he isn't the star of his own novel yet huh?
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  20:40:42  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any good book sugestions for someone that has read the hole legend of drizzt, elminsters and the war of the spider queen?
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  22:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Finder's Stone Trilogy
The Sembia Series
The Everis Cale trilogy

Edited by - Jhoebryn on 24 May 2006 22:06:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  00:42:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I just read the other day that Tymora's Luck was originally slated to be a Planescape novel. That makes a lot of sense, considering the setting of the novel itself and the fact that the trilogy already had a Realms novel...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  01:17:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, that's right.

In fact, as I recall... it was actually meant to be duology rather than a solo novel but the writer was later told to keep it solo for the Realms trilogy.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 May 2006 01:31:42
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  01:31:00  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you. Are those the kind of books were you have a single hero like elminster or drizzt?
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  01:32:47  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have just started the first book in the The Finder's Stone Trilogy and am enjoying it a lot. thanks guys.
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  20:45:26  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sembia Series
The Everis Cale trilogy

any recomendation on wich one to start on?
Go to Top of Page

Jhoebryn
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  20:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Jhoebryn's Homepage Send Jhoebryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder's Stone first, then Sembia. One of the books in the Sembia series introduces Everis Cale. After that, definitely read the Everis Cale trilogy.

IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  01:30:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

The Sembia Series
The Everis Cale trilogy

any recomendation on wich one to start on?

While I'm tempted to say read the Sembia series first... you'd likely do better reading them in the order they were printed -- thus Finder's Stone, Sembia and then the Erevis Cale trilogy (since it lifts off from some of Cale's events in the Sembia series).

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2006 :  06:19:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll just chime in and say say that the Sage has the right of it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2006 :  01:45:37  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok ive decided to read the finders ston trilogy but there is just a slight problem: the book is out of print. any idead on were to get it? i tried 3 bookstores non of them had for sale or for shipping.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000