Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  16:11:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to be flip, but I'd also recommend Azure Bonds before any of the others... I wasn't terribly impressed with Shandril's Saga, and the Drizzt books just aren't a good starting point, to me.

Elfshadow would be another good starting point.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Dec 2005 16:13:16
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  16:58:30  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, having read 'The Crystal Shard' and 'Azure Bonds' relatively recently, I'd have to agree with the comments above. As with Douglas Niles' Moonshae trilogy, the IWD books almost seem to exist in a 'pocket universe' of the Realms - both Icewind Dale and the Moonshaes are geographically 'discrete' areas of Faerun in that they're remote, fairly inaccessible locations.

'Azure Bonds' gives you a greater sense of the geography, culture and background of the Realms and has a tighter plot and (imho) slightly better characterisation. (Before I start another 'Is RAS any good?' argument, let me just say that, yes, I believe he is. It's just that Alias, Dragonbait and the others come across as a little more psychologically complex... in this instance than Drizzt et al do in 'The Crystal Shard'...) Hope that's cleared that up then.

Must get round to reading 'Elfshadow' soon...

Yours,

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  21:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfshadow is a good start place. It is part of one of the better FR series too. Azure bonds is part of the Finder's Stoen trilogy which is also my absolute favorite FR trilogy. Icewind dale all does take place in a part of the realms that no one else writes about. The Dark elf trilogy all takes place in the underdark so you will not learn much of the realms. Icewind dale and the dark elf trilogy are both really good novels. It is one of the few series I read more than once but since you are looking for novels that give you a betetr view of the realms I would recommend Azure bonds and the finders stoen trilogy or start with Elfshadow.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  01:25:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first Fr novel was Spellfire. I would recomend the harper series, in my opinion, they get into all sorts of areas of the realms ( all harper related of course, but covers a lot of geography). Lastly Ec's books are a great starting point, and are included in the harpers, along with a part of shandril's tale. so in the end, a long answer to a short question, check out the harpers
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  05:18:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Azure Bonds

Seconded. If only it weren't out of print... (I've a copy of it, but haven't been able to find the rest of the trilogy, bleh.)

See, that's one of the reasons to befriend antiquarians, they have connections. *starts planning his expedition to the post-offi...oh yes, they got privatised = closed ...his expedition to the gas-station where he'll pick up this trilogy and Tymora's Luck

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  09:05:47  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*smiles smugly* Actually, I got all three of the 'Finder's Stone' trilogy at a ridiculously reasonable price on eBay. I don't know what the American incarnation is like, but the British one always seems to have early FR novels available.

(That said, I'm still waiting for 'Council of Blades' to come up to complete 'The Nobles' series for me!)

Yours,

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  11:14:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've had a bear of a time finding Tymora's Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  12:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

*smiles smugly* Actually, I got all three of the 'Finder's Stone' trilogy at a ridiculously reasonable price on eBay. I don't know what the American incarnation is like, but the British one always seems to have early FR novels available.

(That said, I'm still waiting for 'Council of Blades' to come up to complete 'The Nobles' series for me!)

Yours,

JDD

::shudder::

Council of Blades is by far the worse Nobles book... if not THE worst FR book, IMO. (although I haven't read Once Around the Realms yet )

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  13:29:11  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reputation of 'Once Around The Realms' precedes it, doesn't it?

I haven't heard much of 'The Nobles' novels one way or the other, but to be honest, even if I got 'Council of Blades' for Christmas from Santa, it would be a long while till I read it - there's too much other good stuff in my to-read pile. Erevis Cale, War of the Spider Queen, Rage of Dragons to name just a few right there!

Too much to read and too little time!

Yours,

JDD

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  16:59:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

I got the Finder's Stone trilogy while it was still available on store shelves, though my copies weren't new. Masquerade, Finder's Bane, and Tymora's Luck I bought when they came out. I wasn't buying many Realms novels for a while, but Novak and Grubb can always sell me a book by putting their names on the cover.

I've not had a chance to read it yet, but I recently picked up Jewel of Turmish. I'm told it's hard to find, so when I saw it on the shelf in Borders the other day (I was in Orlando visiting friends), I snagged it immediately!

Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  19:02:17  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I got the Finder's Stone trilogy while it was still available on store shelves, though my copies weren't new. Masquerade, Finder's Bane, and Tymora's Luck I bought when they came out. I wasn't buying many Realms novels for a while, but Novak and Grubb can always sell me a book by putting their names on the cover.

I've not had a chance to read it yet, but I recently picked up Jewel of Turmish. I'm told it's hard to find, so when I saw it on the shelf in Borders the other day (I was in Orlando visiting friends), I snagged it immediately!

A sharp-eyed book buyer! I used to be the same with 'Doctor Who' fiction a few years back, but nowadays I do my FR shopping almost exclusively online or at my local comic shop which can order some FR books for me, but sometimes misses some.

Getting older books is problematic, but staying up to date with what I've got is a running battle I've mainly given up on. Seeing people discussing new(ish) books in the Book Club kind of makes me wish I was a faster reader, but it's probably too late to change now...

Back to 'Azure Bonds', are there no plans to reprint this series - either singly or in a nice collector's edition. The RAS books I've got are in a rather nice (and heavy!) collector's edition and they've just reprinted the Moonshae books with nice new covers and Troy Denning's giants trilogy too. Isn't 'Azure Bonds' et al in the pipeline?

And if not, why not?

Yours,

JDD

Go to Top of Page

Magic Matt
Seeker

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  22:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Magic Matt's Homepage Send Magic Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recomendadions for someone new to Forgotten Realms;

Azure Bonds by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb (Great Adventure and Mystery)
The City of Ravens by Richard Baker (Fun and Funny)
Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham (Good plot Great Story)
Twilight Falling by Paul S. Kemp (Dark Adventure)

These are the first books of great series that will hook anyone into becoming a Forgotten Realms fan!

Edited by - Magic Matt on 14 Jan 2006 22:13:11
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  11:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yes I was recommended City of Ravens a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I *LOVE* the Game of Masks, absolutely brilliant.

Azure Bonds came through the post from eBay a few days ago, and is on my list to read, along with book 2 of the Moonshaes with came through the post also a few days ago), The Return of the Archwizards trilogy (kindly lent to me by Reefy), and I'm still working my way through The Two Swords (though not finding it too thrilling, just reading for the sake of finishing the story).
ooh I almost forgot, I've bought Spellfire too, can't wait to read that one :).

I've had no luck whatsoever with the Finders Stone trilogy, would someone please tell me the titles of each book in the series so I can better my searches? Thanks

Oh and I suppose I'd better give some recommendations

Avatars Trilogy including Crucible and Prince of Lies (very interesting insight into the gods)
Cleric Quintet (Simply for an easy and fun way to get into some rather important realms characters)
The Last Mythal series - For a (very) up to date view of events in the Dalelands
The 'Drizzt' Books - For a good idea of whats going on in the North.

They're the best I can recommend story/general realms wise, unfortunately I've not read any what I'd call 'Pure Realms' books (mainly historical or high profile event books, such as Evermeet)
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2006 :  15:58:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finders Stone Trilogy 1 - Azure Bonds. 2 - The Wyvern's Spur. 3 - Song of the Saurials

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sousinne
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  10:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Sousinne's Homepage Send Sousinne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, everyone. A first post for me here, but hardly a new interest. =)

Having read a large part of the novels, my take would be:

1) City of Ravens. Absolutely. It features a city environment, and many of the ideas in it will feel familiar to people who have read any fantasy, and it has enough of the exotic to pique interest. It is great fun to read it, which always helps.
2) Elfshadow, for reasons that should be obvious. I would prefer Elfsong, but you need Elfshadow first.
3) Wyvern's Spur. This book is brimming with atmosphere, and works well on its own.
4) Cormyr: A Novel. I don't know how to praise this book enough.
5) The Crystal Shard, the real starting-point of RAS's books.

This would be a great start for someone new to the Realms, and gives a chance to sample a few great authors. Then it's time to take on a trilogy or two. I believe the worst you could do with a new prospective reader is to dump the Avatar trilogy on them. For the first few books, you need their attention, and the Avatar trilogy is... a bumpy road. I'd say the next step depends on what the reader liked above.

Agreements/disagreements?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  11:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Sousinne

First of all, welcome to Candlekeep. I hope ye enjoy thy stay herein

Good choices indeed. I agree also in thy comments regarding the Avatar series. Whilst a key event in Realms history, I wouldn't recommend throwing new readers straight into this.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  16:32:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to try something here, bear with me . A lot of fine folks( myself included) have pitched in and given their personal observations and/ or advised on which books to begin with and it generally is quite a list. What would be the "one" book you would recommend to a friend or new reader as an introductory/ first read, to the realms, keeping in mind first impressions never come twice. My vote is Spellfire(the newer expanded version of course), the novel is what I think a fantasy setting is about.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  07:35:33  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, scererar brings forth an interesting challenge. just one book. i guess if a person asked me to recommend one book, i would have to ask them what they think they'd specifically be interested in reading about. if they were interested in dealings of the elves of faerun i would say evermeet, of course and obviously not go the dark elf trilogy path. but one book for a general overview, that is tough. personally i don't consider myself well enough read throughout the realms to take on such a challenge. i could possible stear them in the right direction if they gave me a specific class/race/place, but other than that, i'm stumped.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  18:19:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pure and simple - Elfshadow

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:30:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dannyfu is quite right about what to consider when recommending "just one book" for an FR reader -- taking into consideration the reader's specific interests is crucial.

However, if you are talking generally... then I would say Spellfire.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Spellfire as well. It was my first realms novel and I was hooked.
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  02:23:15  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey everyone, it's your favorite newbie looking for some guidance again. i'm looking for more sword-wielding elf action. i've read evermeet, the last mythal books, the whole drizzt thing(well, not every one, but enough to grow a little tired of it). so if anyone has any suggestions (no more drow please) that would be greatly appriciated. thanks!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  02:25:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Dannyfu is quite right about what to consider when recommending "just one book" for an FR reader -- taking into consideration the reader's specific interests is crucial.

However, if you are talking generally... then I would say Spellfire.

Yes quite hard to determine in my opinion also. I was looking at a general consensus, maybe we can even come up with the 2 or 3 best introductions to the realms as an overall experience. I did take in mind the diverse community and that everyone has different likes and dislikes. I thought it would just be fun to see what others think. so far it is 3 for spellfire, and 1 for elfshadow. Dannyfu was still pondering it seems

Edited by - scererar on 08 Mar 2006 02:25:55
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  03:30:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

hey everyone, it's your favorite newbie looking for some guidance again. i'm looking for more sword-wielding elf action. i've read evermeet, the last mythal books, the whole drizzt thing(well, not every one, but enough to grow a little tired of it). so if anyone has any suggestions (no more drow please) that would be greatly appriciated. thanks!

Have you read EC's books about Arilyn and Danillo. other than what you stated and I added, not too much more that I know of. Several novels have Elven appearance, such as the cleric quintet.
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  04:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arilyn is a sword wielding half elf and it is a great series as well.

Realms of elves has a short story you may be interested in about a bladesinger.

This is stretching it alittle bit but there is a drow by the name of Ryld in the War of the Spider Queen series who is a sword wielder.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  05:57:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one book? Elfshadow or Azure Bonds.

Sure, they are both part of a full series... But both were originally written as stand-alone novels, and both do so quite well.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  06:01:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 spellfire, 2 elf shadow, 1 azure bonds. great start, let's keep it going to see what we can get.

Remember, trying to get a "general" consensus of what the realms is about. Which (one) novel would you chose to have a friend, associate, or whatever read, to get them to experience the realms as a whole.

Edited by - scererar on 08 Mar 2006 06:06:53
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  18:11:17  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you all for your suggestions. i did read realms of the elves. i'm not sure if i want to do the war of the spiderqueen thing, but thank you anyway. i am hoping fflar makes it out of the last mythal trilogy so we can have an epic level moon elf fighter with a kick butt baneblade to read further adventures of. there seems to be plenty of spellcasters that fit the epic level discription that are the focus of books. it would be nice to have a fighter of great legend with the same exposure. (geez, this is like my 10th post plugging fflar, you guys will know i will be wearing my black arm band and can send me flowers if he should once again return to arvandor)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  17:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest anyone especialy Songs and Swords.Elfshadow is the best FR book i have ever red.I started the FR wth Elfshadow too.People you should read Elfshadow.

Lathander is beginnig of all things,everything will reborn with dawn.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  18:01:10  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3 spellfire, 3 elf shadow, 1 azure bonds.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000