Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  22:29:02  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was going to try to hook someone in one book it would have to be either Homeland or Elfshadow. Which one would be dependant on the person. If the person wanted fights and action RAS. If the person wanted character development Elaine

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  22:31:19  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The anthologies are a great idea as well!

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:33:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

If I was going to try to hook someone in one book it would have to be either Homeland or Elfshadow. Which one would be dependant on the person. If the person wanted fights and action RAS. If the person wanted character development Elaine

I don't think I'd ever recommend a RAS book for a beginning FR reader. It's not because of RAS's style or the focus on Drizzt, but rather the limited scope of the Realms taken in his novels.

I'd rather offer a beginning FR reader a novel that presents a broad view of the Realms and it's inherent components. My earlier suggestion for Ed's Spellfire is a clear example of this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  03:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't think I'd ever recommend a RAS book for a beginning FR reader. It's not because of RAS's style or the focus on Drizzt, but rather the limited scope of the Realms taken in his novels.

Agreed...although to be fair, the first book I ever read was The Crystal Shard, and look how I turned out.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Seeker

Germany
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  09:14:21  Show Profile  Send Ironstar an ICQ Message Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

What would be your suggestion for the order to read FR novels if one wants to get a best possible knowledge about the history and the events in the Realms?

In other words, at the moment I don't search necessarily a good gripping story but a good understanding of the history of the world.

I recently ordered the Avatar trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy and am now waiting for them to arrive.

Edited by - Ironstar on 25 Nov 2005 09:17:09
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  22:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ironstar

Hello all!

What would be your suggestion for the order to read FR novels if one wants to get a best possible knowledge about the history and the events in the Realms?

In other words, at the moment I don't search necessarily a good gripping story but a good understanding of the history of the world.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much. In my experience, you learn about the Realms by spending time with it, reading novels and sourcebooks, talking with other Realms fans (online or otherwise), and doing research. You learn little bits at a time, and even the most devoted Realms fan isn't going to know *everything*.

Still, for first time readers I have to recommend Spellfire. It is written by the creator of the FR, it introduces many popular characters, and I thought it was a fun story. It's not perfect, but it doesn't really have to be, and I found it addicting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  23:34:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Agreed...although to be fair, the first book I ever read was The Crystal Shard, and look how I turned out.

Cute and elvish?

Edit: Eeep! Did I actually say that? Um...sorry about that, I had been "channeling" the half-elf bard I play in Kuje's PbEM-game for a bit before posting...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 25 Nov 2005 23:37:07
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  23:38:17  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The very first book I read was The Making of a Mage and I'm glad I did since Elminster has made an apperance in alot of what I've read. I think this should be a new comers first book cause it's good to now how the man come to be what he is today. I agree with alot of people with The Finder's Stone Trilogy. After that read the rest of Kate and Jeff's books. I'm half way through with thier last book, Tymora's Luck and I got to say I've been wanting more after ever one of thier books. It's to bad that after Tymora's Luck, I won't have anything left form them to read.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  02:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Cute and elvish?

Edit: Eeep! Did I actually say that? Um...sorry about that, I had been "channeling" the half-elf bard I play in Kuje's PbEM-game for a bit before posting...

Hee hee hee. Thanks!

Anyway, Elminster: The Making of a Mage is a good book, but I'm hesistant to recommend to first time Realms readers because it takes place in the distant past. But still, that doesn't mean that one will be "ruined" by reading that book first or anything.

Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Seeker

Germany
17 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  11:56:49  Show Profile  Send Ironstar an ICQ Message Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

I'll consider buying the Spellfire in addition to the ones which i just got
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  22:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ironstar

Thanks!

I'll consider buying the Spellfire in addition to the ones which i just got

And I really hope you enjoy it! Tell us what you think when you've read it.

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  05:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage  Send Beezy an AOL message Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire was my first FR read, my older brother loaned it to me when I was in middle school and I fell in love with it and started borrowing all of his FR novels until he moved out and gave me his whole collection due to limited space at his new residence. Spellfire is one of my all time favorite FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

Amsterdamned
Acolyte

Netherlands
1 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  11:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Amsterdamned's Homepage Send Amsterdamned a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya peeps.

First of all I wanna thank you all for your effort, time, tips and suggestions.

Im new to the FR novels, but I aint new to D&D. I have read 3 bookshelves of Dragonlance / Krynn novels the past 2 years. And I love these novels a lot. I still cant get enough of them.

I did read all previous posts. And I narrowed down the list of reading starting points to 3 books / series:

* Dark Elf Trilogy
* Icewind Dale Trilogy
* Spellfire (I couldn’t ignore all post about this book; my first list didn’t include this one)

What Im looking for, is a starting point just like the “War Of The Lance Trilogy” is for the Dragonlance / Krynn world. Which of the above novels would be suited best for this?

Thanks again for ya time,

Amsterdamned

"Krijg toch allemaal de klere. Val van mijn part allemaal dood."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  14:32:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azure Bonds

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 21 Dec 2005 14:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  14:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Azure Bonds

Seconded. If only it weren't out of print... (I've a copy of it, but haven't been able to find the rest of the trilogy, bleh.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  16:11:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to be flip, but I'd also recommend Azure Bonds before any of the others... I wasn't terribly impressed with Shandril's Saga, and the Drizzt books just aren't a good starting point, to me.

Elfshadow would be another good starting point.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Dec 2005 16:13:16
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  16:58:30  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, having read 'The Crystal Shard' and 'Azure Bonds' relatively recently, I'd have to agree with the comments above. As with Douglas Niles' Moonshae trilogy, the IWD books almost seem to exist in a 'pocket universe' of the Realms - both Icewind Dale and the Moonshaes are geographically 'discrete' areas of Faerun in that they're remote, fairly inaccessible locations.

'Azure Bonds' gives you a greater sense of the geography, culture and background of the Realms and has a tighter plot and (imho) slightly better characterisation. (Before I start another 'Is RAS any good?' argument, let me just say that, yes, I believe he is. It's just that Alias, Dragonbait and the others come across as a little more psychologically complex... in this instance than Drizzt et al do in 'The Crystal Shard'...) Hope that's cleared that up then.

Must get round to reading 'Elfshadow' soon...

Yours,

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  21:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage  Send Beezy an AOL message Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfshadow is a good start place. It is part of one of the better FR series too. Azure bonds is part of the Finder's Stoen trilogy which is also my absolute favorite FR trilogy. Icewind dale all does take place in a part of the realms that no one else writes about. The Dark elf trilogy all takes place in the underdark so you will not learn much of the realms. Icewind dale and the dark elf trilogy are both really good novels. It is one of the few series I read more than once but since you are looking for novels that give you a betetr view of the realms I would recommend Azure bonds and the finders stoen trilogy or start with Elfshadow.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  01:25:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first Fr novel was Spellfire. I would recomend the harper series, in my opinion, they get into all sorts of areas of the realms ( all harper related of course, but covers a lot of geography). Lastly Ec's books are a great starting point, and are included in the harpers, along with a part of shandril's tale. so in the end, a long answer to a short question, check out the harpers

"Yap,yap, little dog!" - Riven - page 326 Shadowbred, by Paul Kemp

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  05:18:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:

Azure Bonds

Seconded. If only it weren't out of print... (I've a copy of it, but haven't been able to find the rest of the trilogy, bleh.)

See, that's one of the reasons to befriend antiquarians, they have connections. *starts planning his expedition to the post-offi...oh yes, they got privatised = closed ...his expedition to the gas-station where he'll pick up this trilogy and Tymora's Luck

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  09:05:47  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*smiles smugly* Actually, I got all three of the 'Finder's Stone' trilogy at a ridiculously reasonable price on eBay. I don't know what the American incarnation is like, but the British one always seems to have early FR novels available.

(That said, I'm still waiting for 'Council of Blades' to come up to complete 'The Nobles' series for me!)

Yours,

JDD

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  11:14:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've had a bear of a time finding Tymora's Luck.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  12:41:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

*smiles smugly* Actually, I got all three of the 'Finder's Stone' trilogy at a ridiculously reasonable price on eBay. I don't know what the American incarnation is like, but the British one always seems to have early FR novels available.

(That said, I'm still waiting for 'Council of Blades' to come up to complete 'The Nobles' series for me!)

Yours,

JDD

::shudder::

Council of Blades is by far the worse Nobles book... if not THE worst FR book, IMO. (although I haven't read Once Around the Realms yet )

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  13:29:11  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reputation of 'Once Around The Realms' precedes it, doesn't it?

I haven't heard much of 'The Nobles' novels one way or the other, but to be honest, even if I got 'Council of Blades' for Christmas from Santa, it would be a long while till I read it - there's too much other good stuff in my to-read pile. Erevis Cale, War of the Spider Queen, Rage of Dragons to name just a few right there!

Too much to read and too little time!

Yours,

JDD

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  16:59:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J D Dunsany

I got the Finder's Stone trilogy while it was still available on store shelves, though my copies weren't new. Masquerade, Finder's Bane, and Tymora's Luck I bought when they came out. I wasn't buying many Realms novels for a while, but Novak and Grubb can always sell me a book by putting their names on the cover.

I've not had a chance to read it yet, but I recently picked up Jewel of Turmish. I'm told it's hard to find, so when I saw it on the shelf in Borders the other day (I was in Orlando visiting friends), I snagged it immediately!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000