Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  14:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd start with these:
Sembia Series
Cleric Quintet
Eliminster Series

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  19:57:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brom Greenstar

which of the newest trilogies should I purchase? I've already planned to buy scions of arrabar and my latest reading has been the return of the archwizards and counselors and kings
what i want is to buy something to keep up with the events of the realms that's also a good reading, and to be honest i have a limited budget (marriage is not so good for the hobby)

The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy has excellent characters and dialogue as well as interesting information about dragons. Contrary to what one might think looking the book covers, it isn't just about people fighting off dragons, it's much more complex and interesting than that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  04:24:09  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To many series, not enough money...

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

DrJackal
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  15:12:51  Show Profile  Visit DrJackal's Homepage Send DrJackal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wyvern's Spur trilogy -- a fun read, and it leads up to the installation of a new god. Plus, Giogoni Wyvernspur is one of most nicest guys in the Realms, and I know Olive has inspired some halfling bards out there.

The Simbul's Gift -- The best-written FR novel in my opinion, as well as the best example of how even a godawful powerful character (The Simbul) can't always fight a foe by gazotting everyone in sight. The Simbul's concerns about her family are great, and the exchange between her and Alustriel about childcare was a hoot.

Starlight and Shadows trilogy -- I adore Liriel. Not really good, not really bad, with a better explanation of her non-typical outlook than Drizzt got. She does things, she takes risks, she changes, she has something to lose...and she does.

Elfshadow, Elfsong, Silver Shadows: If you want to read about elves, I'd start here. They're good adventure stories with great characters, and the nuances of elven society and psychology are woven into the plot.

ETA:

Finder's Bane
Prince of Lies

I'd recommend both of these books because they deal with the gods of Faerun, in different ways. Finder's Bane is an example of how a human might react upon being elevated to godhood if said human isn't entirely comfortable with it. Prince of Lies deals more with the politics of the gods, how they interact with each other, and how their nature inhibits them in certain ways. Mystra points out that only the gods who were once human can see another's viewpoint; the rest, being created (or imported) for a specific duty, can't.

"I was never on anyone's side in the first place, so how could I betray them?" -- Akabane Kuroudo.

"No man is a black magician in his own eyes." --- Richard Cavendish, The Black Arts

Edited by - DrJackal on 24 Sep 2005 17:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2005 :  05:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started with Spellfire, my brother loaned it to me somehting like 10 years or more ago. I instantly fell in love with that novel. I didn't overly care for the other 2 in Shandril's saga but Spellfire is one of my favorite FR novels to date.

I went from Spellfire to the Avatar Trilogy, to The Pools Trilogy, Realms of Valor, Realms of Infamy, to the Dark Elf and then Icewind Dale, and then on to the Cleric Quintet. After which my older brother gave me his 30-40 novel collection and then my interest really took off.

I think books like The Avatar Trilogy, Evermeet, and Cormyr are essential to read early on but it may be best to start off with some of the more popular books to get a real interest in the realms. Most people I think would enjoy Icewind Dale Trilogy, Songs and Swords series. It is important to get aquainted with some of the important characters early on such as Mystra's Chosen

I disagree with an earlier post stating that you should start with The Hunters Blade Trilogy. Not only are you skipping a lot of the story line and jump into the tail end of alot of big events that are constantly being brought up (relationship issues, past fights and events) but also these three books are not as good as the first 8 or 9.
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  20:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love everything Elaine Cunningham's written.

Really disliked the original avatar trilogy, but the sequels have been much better. I would not recommend the sequels to someone that's not familiar with the sourcebooks though.

Drizzt - I think I'm about 5 books behind.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  04:55:17  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first FR novel was Spellfire, then I went into the Avatar trilogy. I understand now days the sembia series is supposed to be the starting point for reasders new to the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  06:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It can be, but it doesn't have to be. :)

I recommended Spellfire because in spite of its flaws, I found it hard to put down--and it has that special "Realms feeling", to boot.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  06:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire really captured my attention as well, like you said I didn't want to put it down. When I read it the second time it had the same effect and it was hard to stop reading.
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  01:29:46  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Heh - seems like this thread keep coming back every once in a while!

I have twide now recomended and leant my copy of Azure Bonds to two girlfriends of mine to read. I chose this one because I felt that it did indeed have a good amount of 'realms-flavor' - but also because it had a strong female main character. I felt that was important - so that neither of them got the impression that it (gaming or the novels) was dominated by males.

However - I must say - in neither case did the ploy really work. Neither one has been terribly interested in continuing the series, nor become interested in gaming. I suppose there is still a chance for the second one - as I am planning on starting a game 'soon-ish' - and I told her that she was welcome to play if she felt so inclined. Her responce was not an emphatic yes, but she did not seem to pooh-pooh the idea either....

As for opinions on other series - I was looking for myself too - as I have read quite a lot - but have become more and more behind. That - and I will not start a series now until they are all out (unless they are unrelated - like the class-novels) - it changes the way I read things.

I agree with the Icewind Dale books - and somewhat disagree with the Avatar series. It was confusing for me - or maybe I just could not get into it.

Another missed series that I liked was the original Moonshae Trilogy. That was my first FR read - the first book preceeding the original FR boxed set by a couple of months IIRC - and I liked it a lot! I have as yet, however - to read the second trilogy.

I may go make a couple of lists - what I've read and what I liked / disliked - and submit the information with the objective of looking for suggestions on what to read next.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  05:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really enjoy the Moonshae trilogy or the second one either. It just didn't seem very realms-ish. It seemed as if it was set somewhere else. It didn't have the same sort of magic used in other realms books and just didn't seem to fit the Realms of today but then again wasn't the moonshae trilogy the first FR books written? I suppose that would be why. I didn't hate them but I would not put them anywhere near the top of the list of best FR books
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  07:40:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

I didn't really enjoy the Moonshae trilogy or the second one either. It just didn't seem very realms-ish. It seemed as if it was set somewhere else. It didn't have the same sort of magic used in other realms books and just didn't seem to fit the Realms of today but then again wasn't the moonshae trilogy the first FR books written? I suppose that would be why. I didn't hate them but I would not put them anywhere near the top of the list of best FR books

The first one was the first FR novel but it was originally supposed to be set in Dlance. :) Ed's Moonshae's are different then Dougs. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  17:15:36  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I would start with the Harper series and here are the five reasons.

1. You are introduced to a wide variety of landscapes
This series covers alot of the realms
2. You are introduced to a wide variety of classes
There are rangers, druids, witches, bards, wizards etc.
3. You are introduced to a wide variety of different groups of power
Zhents, harpers,Red wizards,Lords of waterdeep, Night masks?I think El, many different adventuring groups
4. You get to read from a wide variety of authors
From here you can find an author out of the many big realms authors and find another series written by them, it was here I discovered Elaine
5. You are introduced to a wide variety of the realms races
You get lots o' Elves, dwarfs, halflings, Dragonbait(I cant remember his race's name), gnolls, giants,constructs, gods

In short it probably is the most comprehensive series out there covering a world, it's gods, people, and politics, which we all have come to love
The novels are mostly good, a few rough spots here and there but as a general whole good reads

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  20:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I realize that I'm gonna catch alot of flack for this,but if I had read Spellfire as my first FR book, I would not have read another one. I started with the Dark Elf Trilogy and read on through all the Drizzt books. That may not be the best way to go, but if you want to hook someone on FR, it's not a bad way to start. The Harper series was also excellent. As an intro to new characters, places and peoples, the harper books covered alot of ground with relatively little pain or confusion.

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  07:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

Okay I would start with the Harper series and here are the five reasons.

1. You are introduced to a wide variety of landscapes
This series covers alot of the realms
2. You are introduced to a wide variety of classes
There are rangers, druids, witches, bards, wizards etc.
3. You are introduced to a wide variety of different groups of power
Zhents, harpers,Red wizards,Lords of waterdeep, Night masks?I think El, many different adventuring groups
4. You get to read from a wide variety of authors
From here you can find an author out of the many big realms authors and find another series written by them, it was here I discovered Elaine
5. You are introduced to a wide variety of the realms races
You get lots o' Elves, dwarfs, halflings, Dragonbait(I cant remember his race's name), gnolls, giants,constructs, gods

In short it probably is the most comprehensive series out there covering a world, it's gods, people, and politics, which we all have come to love
The novels are mostly good, a few rough spots here and there but as a general whole good reads

Dragonbait was a surial, forgive me if my spelling is off. The harper's series overall was pretty good. It would not be a bad place to start at all, since as you said it covers a wide range of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  22:29:02  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was going to try to hook someone in one book it would have to be either Homeland or Elfshadow. Which one would be dependant on the person. If the person wanted fights and action RAS. If the person wanted character development Elaine

Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  22:31:19  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The anthologies are a great idea as well!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  00:33:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I was going to try to hook someone in one book it would have to be either Homeland or Elfshadow. Which one would be dependant on the person. If the person wanted fights and action RAS. If the person wanted character development Elaine

I don't think I'd ever recommend a RAS book for a beginning FR reader. It's not because of RAS's style or the focus on Drizzt, but rather the limited scope of the Realms taken in his novels.

I'd rather offer a beginning FR reader a novel that presents a broad view of the Realms and it's inherent components. My earlier suggestion for Ed's Spellfire is a clear example of this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  03:02:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't think I'd ever recommend a RAS book for a beginning FR reader. It's not because of RAS's style or the focus on Drizzt, but rather the limited scope of the Realms taken in his novels.

Agreed...although to be fair, the first book I ever read was The Crystal Shard, and look how I turned out.

Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  09:14:21  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

What would be your suggestion for the order to read FR novels if one wants to get a best possible knowledge about the history and the events in the Realms?

In other words, at the moment I don't search necessarily a good gripping story but a good understanding of the history of the world.

I recently ordered the Avatar trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy and am now waiting for them to arrive.

Edited by - Ironstar on 25 Nov 2005 09:17:09
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  22:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ironstar

Hello all!

What would be your suggestion for the order to read FR novels if one wants to get a best possible knowledge about the history and the events in the Realms?

In other words, at the moment I don't search necessarily a good gripping story but a good understanding of the history of the world.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about that too much. In my experience, you learn about the Realms by spending time with it, reading novels and sourcebooks, talking with other Realms fans (online or otherwise), and doing research. You learn little bits at a time, and even the most devoted Realms fan isn't going to know *everything*.

Still, for first time readers I have to recommend Spellfire. It is written by the creator of the FR, it introduces many popular characters, and I thought it was a fun story. It's not perfect, but it doesn't really have to be, and I found it addicting.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  23:34:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Agreed...although to be fair, the first book I ever read was The Crystal Shard, and look how I turned out.

Cute and elvish?

Edit: Eeep! Did I actually say that? Um...sorry about that, I had been "channeling" the half-elf bard I play in Kuje's PbEM-game for a bit before posting...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 25 Nov 2005 23:37:07
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  23:38:17  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The very first book I read was The Making of a Mage and I'm glad I did since Elminster has made an apperance in alot of what I've read. I think this should be a new comers first book cause it's good to now how the man come to be what he is today. I agree with alot of people with The Finder's Stone Trilogy. After that read the rest of Kate and Jeff's books. I'm half way through with thier last book, Tymora's Luck and I got to say I've been wanting more after ever one of thier books. It's to bad that after Tymora's Luck, I won't have anything left form them to read.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  02:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Cute and elvish?

Edit: Eeep! Did I actually say that? Um...sorry about that, I had been "channeling" the half-elf bard I play in Kuje's PbEM-game for a bit before posting...

Hee hee hee. Thanks!

Anyway, Elminster: The Making of a Mage is a good book, but I'm hesistant to recommend to first time Realms readers because it takes place in the distant past. But still, that doesn't mean that one will be "ruined" by reading that book first or anything.

Go to Top of Page

Ironstar
Acolyte

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  11:56:49  Show Profile Send Ironstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

I'll consider buying the Spellfire in addition to the ones which i just got
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2005 :  22:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ironstar

Thanks!

I'll consider buying the Spellfire in addition to the ones which i just got

And I really hope you enjoy it! Tell us what you think when you've read it.

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  05:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire was my first FR read, my older brother loaned it to me when I was in middle school and I fell in love with it and started borrowing all of his FR novels until he moved out and gave me his whole collection due to limited space at his new residence. Spellfire is one of my all time favorite FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  11:16:40  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya peeps.

First of all I wanna thank you all for your effort, time, tips and suggestions.

Im new to the FR novels, but I aint new to D&D. I have read 3 bookshelves of Dragonlance / Krynn novels the past 2 years. And I love these novels a lot. I still cant get enough of them.

I did read all previous posts. And I narrowed down the list of reading starting points to 3 books / series:

* Dark Elf Trilogy
* Icewind Dale Trilogy
* Spellfire (I couldnt ignore all post about this book; my first list didnt include this one)

What Im looking for, is a starting point just like the War Of The Lance Trilogy is for the Dragonlance / Krynn world. Which of the above novels would be suited best for this?

Thanks again for ya time,

Amsterdamned

"Krijg toch allemaal de klere. Val van mijn part allemaal dood."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  14:32:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azure Bonds

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 21 Dec 2005 14:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  14:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Azure Bonds

Seconded. If only it weren't out of print... (I've a copy of it, but haven't been able to find the rest of the trilogy, bleh.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000