Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2012 :  20:08:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Shardnax

quote:

I cant decide which realms novel to purchase next. Can anyone recommend some older books by authors like Elaine Cunningham or something? Thanks.

The Pools trilogy.

Scratch that. I didn't notice you wanted books specific to author. I feel a little silly now.

No, Thats a fine suggestion actually. I was just looking for older books in general. Thanks.

I, personally, am not a fan of the Pools books -- to the point that having read the first two, I don't want to read the third.

Neither am I. At least you read the second. I only read the first. [I'm no masochist.]

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  02:06:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I cant decide which realms novel to purchase next. Can anyone recommend some older books by authors like Elaine Cunningham or something? Thanks.

The Pools trilogy.

Scratch that. I didn't notice you wanted books specific to author. I feel a little silly now.

No, Thats a fine suggestion actually. I was just looking for older books in general. Thanks.

I, personally, am not a fan of the Pools books -- to the point that having read the first two, I don't want to read the third.

I enjoyed the Pools books simply for the nostalgia factor involved.

I first read them while at school, so I still feel like there was really something special about the times that I'd go to the library, sit down, and read about the Realms. The school's library didn't have a big FR section, so the selection was limited. But I still look back on those days with fondness.

I'd be curious to see what my reaction to the novels would be now, if I were to re-read them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2012 :  02:44:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In a way, I can relate. Not the same book, but similar in the 'nostalgia' factor. I read Gary Paulsen's The River a long time ago and loved it then. I reread it fairly recently and remembered much of how it made me feel the very first time I read it.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2012 :  15:12:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah nostalgia. Always seems to add such a rosy hue to everything.
Thats why its generally better to avoid the books and movies of your childhood as they seldom live up to the memory you have of them.
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2012 :  08:05:08  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the newbie is a fan of elves I recommend the realm of the elves anthology or the last mythal series. If newbie is a drow fan....homeland,exile,and sojourn .the realms has something for everyone.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  00:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: Hit reply to the wrong thread.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 07 Apr 2012 01:12:34
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  04:14:20  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jerrod

If the newbie is a fan of elves I recommend the realm of the elves anthology or the last mythal series. If newbie is a drow fan....homeland,exile,and sojourn .the realms has something for everyone.

Sure the Realms have something for every ones with all that huge collection to read ! :) it's around 260 books according to o-love.net registry

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

archmagestar
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  05:41:29  Show Profile Send archmagestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Pools trilogy.

Neither am I. At least you read the second. I only read the first. [I'm no masochist.]

Dont waste your time with the third, beyond disapointing.

Forgotten Realms Junkie
Go to Top of Page

Ada
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  15:54:59  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if I would be better off reading series of book or reading the books in chronological order of events. Can I get some outlook on this because I am contemplating between the two and would like some outside feedback on the situation?

Thanks

Gul Ada Ruin - The Wizard Elf
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  16:08:24  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ada

I am wondering if I would be better off reading series of book or reading the books in chronological order of events. Can I get some outlook on this because I am contemplating between the two and would like some outside feedback on the situation?

Thanks

Both ways are good. I vote for the main authors or histories you prefer to start with and build around the connections. That way to get hints from previous novels read and it help to get the sparkles... it is a considerable series to read ;)

You always need to keep the wave high, because it is easy to get away and let them sleep in the bookshelf

Go to Top of Page

Ada
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  17:42:24  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

quote:
Originally posted by Ada

Thanks

Both ways are good. I vote for the main authors or histories you prefer to start with and build around the connections. That way to get hints from previous novels read and it help to get the sparkles... it is a considerable series to read ;)

You always need to keep the wave high, because it is easy to get away and let them sleep in the bookshelf

In regartds to the book shelf, its hard to collect dust on a e-reader . Thank you though for you insight, I will keep that in mind.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  00:30:50  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol Thank you !

Go to Top of Page

Ada
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  05:46:41  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what other series their is that is related to Forgotten Realms that is a suggested read for studying the races and classes of Dungeon and Dragons?

Go to Top of Page

eandersonwa
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  23:32:09  Show Profile Send eandersonwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just about to finish the last book in the cleric quintet.I'm wondering if there are any other books primarily with Cadderly and his crew?
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  00:35:30  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eandersonwa

just about to finish the last book in the cleric quintet.I'm wondering if there are any other books primarily with Cadderly and his crew?

He does not have any more books that are about him primarily. But, the Ghost King by RAS does include Cadderly and his friends.
He is mentioned in a few of the Drizzt books, but I cannot think of them off the top of my head (except the above).
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  12:56:15  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

quote:

He does not have any more books that are about him primarily. But, the Ghost King by RAS does include Cadderly and his friends.
He is mentioned in a few of the Drizzt books, but I cannot think of them off the top of my head (except the above).

You also get to read about him in the Servant of the Shard, cadderly and his crew actually have a substantial part to play in this novel.
Go to Top of Page

IamWeasel
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  00:43:19  Show Profile  Visit IamWeasel's Homepage Send IamWeasel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Euranna

quote:

You also get to read about him in the Servant of the Shard, cadderly and his crew actually have a substantial part to play in this novel.

Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder appear in The 1000 Orcs.

That must be wondeful; I have no idea what it means. -Moliere
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  23:22:07  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a way, I can relate. Not the same book, but similar in the 'nostalgia' factor. I read Gary Paulsen's The River a long time ago and loved it then. I reread it fairly recently and remembered much of how it made me feel the very first time I read it.

I loved Paulsen's books when I was a kid, and I'd be afraid to go back as an adult out of fear of finding out they weren't as awesome as I remember them being.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  07:07:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

quote:

I loved Paulsen's books when I was a kid, and I'd be afraid to go back as an adult out of fear of finding out they weren't as awesome as I remember them being.
Hehe. I can understand that. In grade school, I read some of Simon Hawke's fairly 'short' novels. I loved it then. Then in college I re-read it and asked myself, "Did I really read and love it then?" Some books are like that, but some are like The River too. So I don't really hesitate to re-read a couple of old favorites when the mood strikes me.

Go to Top of Page

Ada
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  19:32:31  Show Profile Send Ada a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been searching around for a couple of days now and I cannot find any information on books or other types of reading outside of the Neverwinter series that expands or dives into the town itself or around the area. Can anyone help guide me on this journey of self-enlightenment into understanding more on the lore of Neverwinter?

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  12:56:37  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ada

I have been searching around for a couple of days now and I cannot find any information on books or other types of reading outside of the Neverwinter series that expands or dives into the town itself or around the area. Can anyone help guide me on this journey of self-enlightenment into understanding more on the lore of Neverwinter?

Sorry my friend but there is not lore around Neverwinter in the novels except the series of 4 books that Salvatore wrote. IF you look on o-love.net you'll find a cover from a never-published novel that was suposed to be on neverwinter, based on the game Neverwinter Nights i think.

If you want to learn about earlier neverwinter i think you'll need to play the games Neverwinter Nights ;)

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  12:57:49  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe there is few short stories that i don't know for now ... but somebody else could light this up for us ;)

Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  16:30:05  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ada

4th edition D&D published a campaign setting in 2011/2012 on Neverwinter. While not a "story" per se, and despite the fact that it is post spellplgaue, there are nevertheless some interesting thematic elements and lore contained in it. One hardcover book.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  18:08:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also several pages in Volo's Guide to the North.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  20:17:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore's earlier novel The Halfling's Gem also described an adventure with a banshee in the Neverwinter Wood, near the town of Conyberry.

There is the older lorebook The Savage Frontier.

The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier is also good. It ties in right around the same time as the earlier NWN PC games.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 28 Feb 2013 20:27:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000