Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

cephet
Acolyte

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  09:15:32  Show Profile  Click to see cephet's MSN Messenger address Send cephet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for the info Wooley. That's a shame. At least there's plenty of 2nd hand novels around.. for the moment at least.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2009 :  15:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cephet

Ah, thanks for the info Wooley. That's a shame. At least there's plenty of 2nd hand novels around.. for the moment at least.

I've replaced almost all of the Realms novels by buying from eBay, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Seeker

25 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  18:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I have been reading quite some novels till now, but there was something I always wanted to do, reading all the FR novels chronologically, and I mean everything. Hopefully from next month real life's worries will give me a break and I would be able to do some more readings. Is there any such list around? Thanks.

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  22:07:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best one I know of is O Love's Novels Timeline.

Go to Top of Page

Moonlight
Seeker

25 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2009 :  14:05:39  Show Profile  Visit Moonlight's Homepage Send Moonlight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The best one I know of is O Love's Novels Timeline.

Thanks Wooly, seems a complete list :)

Sehanine is dreaming...
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  19:08:27  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been hard to find Return of the Archwizard book 3 and Avatar Series book 5...
At Ebay, the only copy of Cruciable is 50 dollars! (and doens't have "The Sorcerer")
Nobleknight doesn't have any!

Anyones knows another site that could send books to Brazil?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  23:19:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

It's been hard to find Return of the Archwizard book 3 and Avatar Series book 5...
At Ebay, the only copy of Cruciable is 50 dollars! (and doens't have "The Sorcerer")

Anyones knows another site that could send books to Brazil?

I'd say keep looking. I've replaced both books, from eBay, for less than cover price.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  01:19:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still, I'd keep an eye out there anyway. Aaron's always getting new stuff in, so it's likely he'll come across second-hand copies of those books again, eventually.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Click to see edappel's MSN Messenger address Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly and Sage...
I'll keep looking it for next time.
(I already ordered it. Avatar Series 1-4, Finder's Stone 1-3, Sembia Series (3-7), I Strahd, Evermeet (EC), Realms of Magic and Realms of Shadows)

Is Trial of Cyric needed to complete understandment (is this a word?) of avatar series?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2009 :  15:34:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is Trial of Cyric needed to complete understandment (is this a word?) of avatar series?

Hi Ed, no it isn't. It just continues the story of some of the ex-mortal fellows and their godly fight against each other. But the Avatar series in terms of Time of Troubles is concluded already after book 3.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

KingLouis
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  10:58:36  Show Profile  Visit KingLouis's Homepage Send KingLouis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must the Sembia series must be read in order after book 1? I finished book 1 and found that the others are all about the separate characters (father, son1, son2, wife, daughter, butler).

I find the wife Shamur most interesting and am tempted to skip straight to that first :O

"I guess enough painkillers can make even the worst kind of hurt go away. The thing you need to know is that Mara was innocent, and Jackson was innocent - they didn't know what they were drinking and their last moments together were happy ones. They left the way I first found them - perfect and innocent. They were innocent and they're in heaven now and we'll always be a family. The guilty ones are me and Vic, Vic led but I kept following. I don't think one's worse than the other but we made each other into something worse than our individual selves. I wish I never met him. I see it all now - there's no apologies I can make, no explanations I can give - I was who I was and I can't be that person anymore. I can't let myself..." Shane Vendrell
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  19:54:22  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KingLouis

Must the Sembia series must be read in order after book 1? I finished book 1 and found that the others are all about the separate characters (father, son1, son2, wife, daughter, butler).

I find the wife Shamur most interesting and am tempted to skip straight to that first :O

Hi King,
it is as you suspected: you can read them in any order, because they are only slightly connected.
If you read them out of sequence, it may happen, that there are references to events in books that you have not yet read, but that does not interfere very much with the reading experience.

The quality of the books differs a lot though.
Personally I liked Halls of Stormweather and Shadow's Wittness best by far.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

MrsDrasek
Seeker

26 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  20:31:43  Show Profile  Visit MrsDrasek's Homepage Send MrsDrasek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that you don't have to read them in order although I loved the tie ins so I mainly did that. Halls of Stormweather was of course my favorite so I drifted to read most of Paul's books then went back and read 2-7. I enjoyed this mostly because each family member has a story and then some.

Part Well...Regret Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Callmebean
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  06:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Callmebean's Homepage  Send Callmebean an AOL message Send Callmebean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, So bards and sages i have a puzzle that needs some clarification has anyone read the "best of the realms" i have not read any of them even tho it was the first forgotten realms novel i picked up. I saw it and started to read it but i thought shouldnt i know th eback story of all the characters before i read it and i still havent gtoten around to it years later because there is so much lore to learn, i started with drizzit and moved on to elminster and khelban and austrial silverymoon. and i lost site of the best of the realms due to so much to read. has anyone else have this problem or should i just sayforget it andread it anyway?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
-Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  14:45:02  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Callmebean

ok, So bards and sages i have a puzzle that needs some clarification has anyone read the "best of the realms" i have not read any of them even tho it was the first forgotten realms novel i picked up. I saw it and started to read it but i thought shouldnt i know th eback story of all the characters before i read it and i still havent gtoten around to it years later because there is so much lore to learn, i started with drizzit and moved on to elminster and khelban and austrial silverymoon. and i lost site of the best of the realms due to so much to read. has anyone else have this problem or should i just sayforget it andread it anyway?

Just read it anyway....they are all written to be stand alone stories. It always help to know more about the characters backgrounds....but you can look at this the opposite way. These little nuggets may give you background/insights into things you want to further pursue in full novels.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Callmebean
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  21:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Callmebean's Homepage  Send Callmebean an AOL message Send Callmebean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think you just made up my mind for me, on a side note if anyone has an Iphone or ipod or is going to buy the monstrosities known as the ipad, there is an application called (name removed by moderator), its completly free and has alot of forgotten realms books on there, I dont really know how it works but i assume its legal since its on itunes, I reaD the avatar series on it ;) a+

Mod edit: See next post.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
-Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Feb 2010 04:18:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  04:21:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a look at the app in question, and it looks like it's all user-uploaded content and public domain stuff. The Avatar trilogy is certainly not public domain, and the poor quality of what little I read leads me to think it's not something created by the publisher. Not only that, but if WotC has done any e-books at all, I've not heard about it.

So I removed the name of that app. The app itself might be legal, but that content was most likely not legal. And it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to copyright issues.

Go to Top of Page

lepra
Acolyte

Latvia
4 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  21:43:24  Show Profile  Visit lepra's Homepage Send lepra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello! After digging through this thread and forums for an hour i still can't decide what to read next.

I have read Sellswords and The Twilight War trilogies. I'm looking for something with neutral chaotic character(s), with little soap as possible and that doesn't includes killing gods or some kind of other cataclysmic events.

I already ordered City of Splendors and Spellfire, but unfortunately someone in this thread mentioned that latter is oozing with soap.

Finder's Stone books looks interesting, but it's impossible to find new copy of Azure Bonds.

Hope you can help :)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  03:17:48  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lepra

Hello! After digging through this thread and forums for an hour i still can't decide what to read next.

I have read Sellswords and The Twilight War trilogies. I'm looking for something with neutral chaotic character(s), with little soap as possible and that doesn't includes killing gods or some kind of other cataclysmic events.

I already ordered City of Splendors and Spellfire, but unfortunately someone in this thread mentioned that latter is oozing with soap.

Finder's Stone books looks interesting, but it's impossible to find new copy of Azure Bonds.

Well, thatīs a difficult question you put here because after all this is a very subjective matter. City of Splendors was one of the worst FR novels I have read, actually THE worst, but again: this is highly subjective.

Could you specify what you understand by "soap"?
I believe to understand what you refer to and in this context my highest recomendations would be anything from Paul Kemp and you should definitely try "The Yellow Silk" if you can find it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30290 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  04:39:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I quite enjoyed City of Splendors, myself. A lot of folks here love Spellfire, but I'm not such a fan of it.

You won't find a new copy of Azure Bonds. It's been out of print for a long time. But if you can find a used copy, buy it in a heartbeat. In my opinion, there are few authors that have captured the feel of the Realms the way Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak did.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  05:02:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose that depends on what you're looking for when you read a Realms novel. I personally loved City of Splendors, because both Ed and Elaine managed to expertly capture just what living in Waterdeep should be like for both the daily common folk, and all the high-ups and nobles as well. It worked wonders for my own Waterdeep-based campaign of that time.

Spellfire is, along with Swords of Eveningstar, the novel that gives the clearest introduction to what the Realms is like: its landscapes, how magic feels, how adventurers deal with hardship, how its folk think and speak and live. It has weaknesses common to many first novels, and suffers from a crude editing job even in its restored form.
quote:
You could try nobleknight.com for second-hand copies and usually in relatively good condition. It's largely the only way you'll find it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 May 2010 05:04:25
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2905 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  06:08:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed Shadows of the Avatar.

Spellfire is a good one also.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  13:11:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Soap is a bit of a subjective derogatory term, so I wont comment on that. Could you explain a bit better what you want to avoid? I never thought about Spellfire in those terms though. I like City of Splendors, but I can see that its not for everybody.

And Azure Bonds is well worth it, even if you have to get hold of a second hand copy.
Go to Top of Page

lepra
Acolyte

Latvia
4 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  20:04:55  Show Profile  Visit lepra's Homepage Send lepra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome
Could you specify what you understand by "soap"?

With soap i mean whiney, overemotional characters that won't save world before they had shared their feelings with everybody and corny romance of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
And Azure Bonds is well worth it, even if you have to get hold of a second hand copy.

But you never know what strangers could have done to it, or with it.

Are there any novels referencing to Shadowstorm and events that happened in Sembia?
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  20:17:48  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
With soap i mean whiney, overemotional characters that won't save world before they had shared their feelings with everybody and corny romance of course.

I see! I'd recommend The Yellow Silk again and as Wooly already said, try to get a copies of the Azure Bonds series. Realms stuff at its best. War of the Spiderqueen is also not soapy as far as my perception goes.

quote:
Are there any novels referencing to Shadowstorm and events that happened in Sembia?

Apart from the Twilight War trilogy itself? No.
There is the short story "Continuum" in Realms of War, which adds some plot though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000