Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  19:09:39  Show Profile  Click to see ode904's MSN Messenger address Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it may be the best.. Siege of Darkness is a nice book, I have to mention
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  02:41:46  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the old Harper series. I wished they'd bring those back. I know you can find many at a used book store. The first 2 or 3 Elaine Cunningham Danilo Thann novels were part of this 16 book series. I also liked the "shadow" books in this run.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage  Click to see Ilztfryn Claddghym's MSN Messenger address Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last year was the first time I was introduced to the forgotten Realms and I read the Hunters Blades Trilogy! This got me hooked and I think is a perfect intoduction into the Forgotten Realms!

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Bombadillo

Last year was the first time I was introduced to the forgotten Realms and I read the Hunters Blades Trilogy! This got me hooked and I think is a perfect intoduction into the Forgotten Realms!

you should go into the Candlekeep main web site and find the downloadable Realms Bibliography...it will be a big help to you as the older players and/or scribes discuss Realms Materials..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  21:30:24  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey
in the avatar series there is also the book prince of lies and the crucible:trial of cyric. Do i include them?
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  21:44:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

hey
in the avatar series there is also the book prince of lies and the crucible:trial of cyric. Do i include them?

I tend to lump them into the same storyline overall. additionally, the shadow of the avatar trilogy shows some of the behind the scenes tales and goings on with Elminster and the rangers three.

"Yap,yap, little dog!" - Riven - page 326 Shadowbred, by Paul Kemp

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2006 :  01:15:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

hey

Yes.

The reprinted "Avatar Series" now includes the original ToT trilogy -- Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep, with Prince of Lies and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad added to the original trilogy to make the series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Sep 2006 01:16:10
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  18:32:27  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the recommended FR reading list it tells me to read the avatar series but after the shadow of the avatar it tells me to read the prince of lies so should i read it when i read the avatar series or after the shadow of the avatar? and if it is the later were do i include the crucible?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2006 :  01:12:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd recommend you read the novels following the format they've now been re-printed in.

That means the original ToT books -- Shadowdale, Tantras, and Waterdeep -- followed by Prince of Lies and Crucible. From there, you start on Shadows of the Avatar.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  21:00:04  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On this same website i found out that there were newer versions of the avatar series. But when i went to a bookstore they told me the book was out of print. Is there a reason why i can't get the newer books?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  01:26:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's likely that even the reprints have sold out in some locations -- I knew they have here in Perth.

I'd try a few online bookstores, you're likely to have better luck.

Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  15:53:25  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was asking about bladesinger character builds a while back on the RPG thread and someone mentioned to me RAS writing one and i know that it's from the realms of magic short story. but they also mentioned that there was a bladesinger in year of rogue dragons (or realms of the dragons, i can't remember which).........anyway, my question is: can anyone tell me which book(s)it actually is and if the character is in the story enough to satisfy my bladesinging needs.i think after this i have exausted the realms novels of all the books with my favorite prestige class. thanks in advance for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  16:04:32  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

i was asking about bladesinger character builds a while back on the RPG thread and someone mentioned to me RAS writing one and i know that it's from the realms of magic short story. but they also mentioned that there was a bladesinger in year of rogue dragons (or realms of the dragons, i can't remember which).........anyway, my question is: can anyone tell me which book(s)it actually is and if the character is in the story enough to satisfy my bladesinging needs.i think after this i have exausted the realms novels of all the books with my favorite prestige class. thanks in advance for the help.

this isn't really a "novel" post but the bladesinger first appeared as a kit in 2E in the Complete Book of Elves...than mentioned in the 2E Elves of Evermeet...it was later reprinted in 3E in the Races of Faerun (I think )

and as for the "novel" bladesingers...they aren't really like much of the original flavour of the bladesinger...the bladesinger was one of the most ancient elven arts and to be a bladesinger made you "the best of the best" and a champion of the elven race...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is the Bladesinger novel, in the Fighter series, and there is one bladesinger in the Rogue Dragons trilogy first book - I donīt read the two others, yet.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29643 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  17:12:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

Taegan Swiftwind appeared in all three books of the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy. He's an avariel bladesinger. I've no idea whether or not that meets your bladesinging needs...

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Oct 2006 17:13:44
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  22:30:37  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you guys for the 411, i have read the bladesinger novel and i actually have a copy of the 2e source book enroute. i am starting to expand my source material beyond 3.5, realizing the old books are full of great ideas for roleplaying. thanks much to you Wooly that was what i was looking for. an avariel, wow that's unique. i think i'll give'em a read.
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  21:15:11  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a book that talks about how elminster creats the harpers?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  01:23:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no one specific novel that deals with that. There are tidbits in various El novels by Ed.

I would suggest you track down a copy of Code of the Harpers, a sourcebook, which details the origins and creation of the Harpers.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Oct 2006 01:25:13
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  21:48:25  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
is there any book that talks about netheril?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2949 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  22:02:44  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the first ones I can think of are the Arcane age, or Netheril trilogy. Its out of print, but I thinl that's the books that will have the most information on Netheril.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  23:57:28  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also the nether scrolls and (scererar ducks) the return of the arch wizards trilogy hints at some lore from that time period.

"Yap,yap, little dog!" - Riven - page 326 Shadowbred, by Paul Kemp

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1063 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  00:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcane age is a must if you want to know somthing about netheril

http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Play-Forgotten-Realms-Arcane/dp/0786904925

Arcane Age: Netheril--Empire of Magic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  01:18:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

Arcane Age: Netheril--Empire of Magic
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

As well, Lost Empires of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Seeker

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  01:12:39  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage  Click to see lelorien's MSN Messenger address Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again. I was looking for the avatar series on this very site and I fell on books called avatar adventure trilogy. What exactly are these books?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  01:17:04  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello again. I was looking for the avatar series on this very site and I fell on books called avatar adventure trilogy. What exactly are these books?

Probably the trilogy of modules that tie in with the trilogy of novels. :) Both the novels and the modules have the same names. I.e Shadowdale novel and Shadowdale module, repeat the titles for the other two modules/novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Oct 2006 01:17:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000