Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mortal-Made Wonders of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  03:54:16  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Here's yer chance ta vote! Top seven wins the title!

I picked these twelve (only twelve cause that's all this list allows) based on the discussions previously made.

How about a one-week time frame?

Results:
Candlekeep   [12%] 6 votes
Cormanthyr   [0%] 0 votes
Deep Imaskar   [2%] 1 votes
Dragonwall, The   [6%] 3 votes
Enclave - Ioulaum   [2%] 1 votes
Enclave - Karsus   [0%] 0 votes
Moonbridge, The   [4%] 2 votes
Myth Drannor   [41%] 20 votes
Myth Lharast   [2%] 1 votes
Spirit Soaring   [4%] 2 votes
Undermountain   [14%] 7 votes
Wailing Dwarf, The   [12%] 6 votes

Poll Status: Open  »»   Total Votes: 49 counted  »»   Last Vote: 20 Feb 2020 21:43:37 

Edited by - Melfius on 06 Aug 2005 03:56:08

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  10:09:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message
I think Myth Drannor is one of the best/greatest mortal made wonders of Faerun, its wonder not only lies in its gandeur, architecture or wonderful magic creations, it also lies in the various (good) races that lived in the city itself that made the city a great wonder itself that is so remembered in history.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kaldar-maaren
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  14:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Kaldar-maaren's Homepage Send Kaldar-maaren a Private Message
In my opinion, Myth Drannor is the best wonder of Faerun.

You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. Don't let yourself indulge in vain wishes.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  22:43:54  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message
I like the Moonbridge and Undermountain but Myth Drannor is still the mightiest!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  00:02:50  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message
Hmm, I wonder if Alaundo has a way to check the votes. I see a surprisingly large amount of disloyalty here.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  01:39:57  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
So do I. BAD people! BAD!!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages

Edited by - Melfius on 07 Aug 2005 01:40:18
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  04:19:38  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
I chose Undermountain.If I am correct.One man did that.While it took many to raise Myth Drannor.Though it is the mightiest.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  04:41:38  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I chose Undermountain.If I am correct.One man did that.While it took many to raise Myth Drannor.Though it is the mightiest.

Undermountain is not the sole work of Halaster.
There was a Dwarven Clan, Netherese Enclave and others involved.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  16:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
My vote must go to the Wailing Dwarf due to the sheer proportions of the statue/city. Its 4000 feet must dwarf any other creation in the realms and to top that there are a dwarfen city inside the statue... A true WONDER in my oppinion.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  17:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message
No disloyalty from me - Candlekeep is the single greatest record of any of these other wonders. Such a collection of knowledge is invaluable and to my mind the greatest of them all.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

iamunknown
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  22:31:18  Show Profile  Visit iamunknown's Homepage Send iamunknown a Private Message
yes!...the wonder of the wailing dwarf ::votes for it:: :D
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  23:24:02  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
The Wailing Dwarf, of course!
My second vote would have been for Undermountain since a large part of it was made by dwarves!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  12:08:10  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
I voted for Deep Imaskar, City of the Great Seal.
my reasons:

1) like the few surviving netherese enclaves (or the pyramids), it“s a remnant from a lost high culture (a trait many world wonders have, in faerun as well as on earth). what“s making it stick out over many (or at least, some) others is that it“s still not only functional but indeed used.

2) very sophisticated magic was involved in it“s creation, again like many other wonders. unlike most other wonders, it“s creators wanted it to stay hidden from the world (1)and succeded.

(1) and the gods too? that“s an interesting question with quite some implications: do the gods know of the cities existence?

3)the main reason: on small sentence on page 138 of underdark:
quote:
"The government has been relatively free of corruption for the last 600 years,..."
woah! from all wonders that the creators of the realms have shown me, this statement draws most heavily on my ability to suspend my disbelief. a true wonder indeed!

Edited by - tauster on 08 Aug 2005 12:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  13:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
When the poll is finished i suggest that a post is made where we all are informed of where to locate information on the various wonders of the realms... How they look, where to find them and so on and so forth... I“d be glad to help out if i can... When are the poll closed?

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  13:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message
Honestly, while Candlekeep is a great repository of knowledge, it could be theoretically recreated by "modern" methods, hence would not be a wonder by the guidelines laid down.
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  21:37:07  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message
I think several of the poll options are appropriate, I feel several of them are not based upon the fact they represent entire cities, and in one case, an entire nation. It was my impression that FR wonders were to be based upon the definition of a "wonder" as used in the REAL world. It was "The Hanging Gardens -OF- Babylon" or "The Lighthouse -OF- Alexandria." It was not "The city of Alexandria" or "The Roman Empire in general" that are described as wonders. At this point you are no longer comparing "apples to apples" but "Apples to orchards." I very much like the topic of choosing Faerunian Wonders...but I just can't vote in the poll.

The poll above is mixing things together. Cities, Empires, and single items/works of construction. If we're going to do this why not just erase both Iolium's and Karsus' enclave from the poll and for just use "The Empire of Nethril." Then why not add the Imaskar Empire? Or, the Vyshantar Empire (however it was spelled, the old Gold Elf Realm) too. Likewise, we seem to have some overlap in both Cormanthyr and Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  21:39:53  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
I voted for Myth Drannor - it is probably the most fantastical place that cannot be remade in modern times - and heck, we can't even have racial harmony in real life - least they got it right there.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  22:00:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Well, in all fairness, we haven't had a chance to try racial harmony since about the end of the latest ice-age when the last neanderthal died.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  00:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Down with the Neanderthals!

Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  01:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I voted for Myth Drannor - it is probably the most fantastical place that cannot be remade in modern times - and heck, we can't even have racial harmony in real life - least they got it right there.

C-Fb

I agree, for I voted Myth Drannor too. What a pity that Myth Drannor had fallen into history.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  11:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
To the post of Candlekeep being easily recreated with modern methods i can only agree. But so could the great pyramid og Giza and it is still seen as one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. A wonder is seen in the greatnes of its original form. If a wonder couldent be a wonder if it coul be easily recreated today then we could throw most of the ancient wonders into the trashcan because they could easil be remade today... But that is just not how things work. The pyramid is a wonder because of its greatnes in comparison to contemporary structures.

Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  17:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message
Ioulaum's Enclave was the first of the floating Netherese cities I think that is a grand wonder.
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  18:46:52  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

Agree. Also my vote for Myth Drannor.

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  21:54:48  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message
My take on Myth Drannor's "Racial Harmony" is somewhat like "Racial Harmony" in the Deep-Southern United States today. (No, this is NOT a bust on the South but I have many relatives/friends there and know what THEIR area, at least, is like.)

Tolerance is SEEN to be a "good thing," and bigotry is PUBLICLY a "bad thing." Anotherwards the "official, politically correct, policy" is tolerance and "harmony." The average man will espouse as much if you walk up to them on the street. However, behind closed doors, opinions are often very different and there is still a great deal of bigotry going on.

I very much see Myth Drannor being like that. Official government policy is "tolerance" but in reality things are far different. I think "Elminster in Myth Drannor" represents this well.

Remember, in the fall of Myth Drannor the elves were some of the FIRST to bail on the city. Sure, a lot of elves stayed to fight to the last, but in the large it was the other races that formed the bulwark of "last stand" defenders. A great deal of this was very much the elves saying "Let -THOSE PEOPLE- die to hold off the humanoids/demons while us MORE PRECIOUS elves hit the road." In fairness however, a lot of it was also based upon the fact the other races didn't have anything like Evermeet to retreat to, and Myth Drannor was as good as it got for them.

This was stated in official FR Canon. I do believe in the 2E "Cormanthyr" accesory, or perhaps the 2E "Fall of Myth Drannor" adventure.

To be honest, I would wager Waterdeep is a more tolerant city than Myth Drannor was.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2005 :  23:34:25  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Where is The Wailing Dwarf located????

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  00:48:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
The Wailing Dwarf can be located on the eastern face of the Troll Mountains, which is north of Eshpurta in eastern Amn.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  01:37:02  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message
Many thank you's Sage

Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:19:28  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message
It appears that Myth Drannor is leading the polls with a higher number of votes than the rest of the other wonders. Is Myth Drannor that so popular as a wonder of Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message
I can agree with Myth Drannor as one of the top wonders of Faerun. As it stood in its days of glory where all met to share their knowledge and magic and develop new wonderful magic it stood as a true wonder in all aspects. Architecture, size, beauty and most of all its ability to unite people through common interest...

Go to Top of Page

Lord of the Undead
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  13:46:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord of the Undead's Homepage Send Lord of the Undead a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

I can agree with Myth Drannor as one of the top wonders of Faerun. As it stood in its days of glory where all met to share their knowledge and magic and develop new wonderful magic it stood as a true wonder in all aspects. Architecture, size, beauty and most of all its ability to unite people through common interest...

A pity that the wondrous city is lost through time, well blame those rogue Netherese Archwizards for their handiwork that eventually led to this wondrous city fall.

The dead do not rest easily, for they do have useful uses at times...for a master necromancer.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  14:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

It appears that Myth Drannor is leading the polls with a higher number of votes than the rest of the other wonders. Is Myth Drannor that so popular as a wonder of Faerun?

I'm a bit surprised myself! I really had Undermountain being pegged at #1.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000