Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mythals
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Syrovi
Acolyte

South Africa
0 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  15:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Syrovi's Homepage Send Syrovi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,
this is my 1st post - apart from the intro

I am looking for specific information about the mythals. I do not want to know how they are created or where some of them are located.

What I want to know is if the power of a mythal can be focussed on an object, which can be removed or destroyed.

I have found reference to the creation of a mythal, that stated that seeds were used in the creation of a mythal, which became the Great Tree. I also played Neverwinter Nights:Shadows of Underentide, where the mythal was described as a crystal - or maybe that was a mythalar???

The reason why I am asking is this: I am working on my 1st campaign in Faerun, and wanted to set it around the House of Jaelre Drow efforts to corrupt the mythals in Cormanthor for their own use.

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  16:51:57  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Appearently, according to Richard Baker's Last Mythal Series (will try not to have spoilers here), you must have knowledge in Elven High Magic and Mythal creation in order to corrupt, or change, Mythals for your desired uses. Also, if the creator of the Mythal is still living, it is difficult to change Mythal's properties without its creator being aware of it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:08:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An excellent source of lore on mythals is the 2E sourcebook Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves. And it is available as a free pdf on the WotC downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:10:16  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might consult the FR books (Methinks it's out of the Shining South book). There is a feat about Mythal creation and a spell: Seed: Mythal Creation.

Basically you start with the spell and a bunch of helpers and start adding features you want. You find out what you want then tally up the total EXP you have to spend and make the correct checks and booyah... Mythal.

Might help in formulating your campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:11:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

Appearently, according to Richard Baker's Last Mythal Series (will try not to have spoilers here), you must have knowledge in Elven High Magic and Mythal creation in order to corrupt, or change, Mythals for your desired uses. Also, if the creator of the Mythal is still living, it is difficult to change Mythal's properties without its creator being aware of it.

Well, technically, the Drow of House Jaelre could consult their priests of Vhaeraun, who may impart to them the knowledge of mythalcraft. I mean, if Malkizid knows how to mess with Mythals, surely Vhaeraun would as well. And if it were to further the Drow aims upon the surface, including kidnapping and subjugating Faerie Elves, then what the hey!!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

RAKKIR
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:40:39  Show Profile  Visit RAKKIR's Homepage Send RAKKIR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is the 3E tome "Lost Empires of Faerun" that has the latest 3E stats for Mythal Creation.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  17:47:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I mean, if Malkizid knows how to mess with Mythals, surely Vhaeraun would as well.

Not necessarily... Mythals have always been done by non-drow elves, and Malkizid spent a lot of time working with gold elves -- most likely including those who helped fashion mythals.

Vhaeraun, on the other hand, has always been a drow deity. The drow have never created a mythal. So his opportunities for learning about them have been far fewer than Mal's.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  19:32:59  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I mean, if Malkizid knows how to mess with Mythals, surely Vhaeraun would as well.

Not necessarily... Mythals have always been done by non-drow elves, and Malkizid spent a lot of time working with gold elves -- most likely including those who helped fashion mythals.

Vhaeraun, on the other hand, has always been a drow deity. The drow have never created a mythal. So his opportunities for learning about them have been far fewer than Mal's.

But, if you remember, Vhaeraun has mostly always quested for the surface and has been up there quite a bit to learn the mythalcraft. Also, he was once a member of the Seldarine, so he probably has soom clue as to high elven magic works. And if you are telling me Gromph Baenre can't tweek a mythal, well I don't know!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  19:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be quite surprised if the protecting and enhancing wards around some of the Drow House compounds weren't tied into a central source much as a Mythal was. I'd say that if not exactly the same, the Drow would have SOME idea the concepts behind the Mythals.
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2005 :  23:07:47  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But, if you remember, Vhaeraun has mostly always quested for the surface and has been up there quite a bit to learn the mythalcraft. Also, he was once a member of the Seldarine, so he probably has soom clue as to high elven magic works. And if you are telling me Gromph Baenre can't tweek a mythal, well I don't know!

C-Fb

I don't believe Gromph could tweek a mythal that easily, if at all. However, I do believe the Archmage of Menzoberranzan could easily destroy or defeat one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  02:52:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerun also details a little about mythals, as well as providing a listing of known mythals in the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  07:28:18  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forge

You might consult the FR books (Methinks it's out of the Shining South book). There is a feat about Mythal creation and a spell: Seed: Mythal Creation.

Basically you start with the spell and a bunch of helpers and start adding features you want. You find out what you want then tally up the total EXP you have to spend and make the correct checks and booyah... Mythal.

Might help in formulating your campaign.

The book you are thinking of is Lost Empires of Faerun.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  07:29:33  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would be quite surprised if the protecting and enhancing wards around some of the Drow House compounds weren't tied into a central source much as a Mythal was. I'd say that if not exactly the same, the Drow would have SOME idea the concepts behind the Mythals.

Menzoberranzan has several warding and alarm type spells around it that functions in a way very similar to a Mythal.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  14:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also thinking specifically of the House Do'Urden where the nobles of the house were allowed additional/unlimited levitates when posessing a certain token, and most probably other things as well. (Poison Resistance sounds advisable amongst other things.) While not strictly a Mythal, it does simulate some of the features the Myth Drannor Mythal possessed.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  14:24:08  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

C-Fb

I don't believe Gromph could tweek a mythal that easily, if at all. However, I do believe the Archmage of Menzoberranzan could easily destroy or defeat one.

I have severe difficulties picturing a single mortal, no matter how powerful, defeating a mythal on his own.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  16:07:51  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

C-Fb

I have severe difficulties picturing a single mortal, no matter how powerful, defeating a mythal on his own.

Just read the Last Mythal trilogy by Richard Baker - after the Gold Elves decided to combine their essences with demons/eladrins, they were able to know understand and control the functions of the Mythals. A signle Elf proficient with high magic and some resilience could do this.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kaldar-maaren
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  02:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaldar-maaren's Homepage Send Kaldar-maaren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

C-Fb

Just read the Last Mythal trilogy by Richard Baker - after the Gold Elves decided to combine their essences with demons/eladrins, they were able to know understand and control the functions of the Mythals. A signle Elf proficient with high magic and some resilience could do this.

C-Fb

It appears that the mythals are no longer considered as formidable magic shields that can bar almost every uninvited guest since these "elves" know how to manipulate the mythals that easily.

You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. Don't let yourself indulge in vain wishes.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  05:45:25  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was also thinking specifically of the House Do'Urden where the nobles of the house were allowed additional/unlimited levitates when posessing a certain token, and most probably other things as well. (Poison Resistance sounds advisable amongst other things.) While not strictly a Mythal, it does simulate some of the features the Myth Drannor Mythal possessed.

Item in question you are thinking of is the House Insignia that all Nobles of Menzoberranzan have. These "trinkets" can be quite powerful, and they function for only one person.
A common feature for most House Insignias and especially House Do'Urden's was unlimited usage of Levitate.
A feature that all the "high tier" members of House Baenre had was Word of Recall to the throneroom in House Baenre.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  06:16:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Item in question you are thinking of is the House Insignia that all Nobles of Menzoberranzan have. These "trinkets" can be quite powerful, and they function for only one person.
A common feature for most House Insignias and especially House Do'Urden's was unlimited usage of Levitate.
A feature that all the "high tier" members of House Baenre had was Word of Recall to the throneroom in House Baenre.

Which retcons the old lore because those powers were used without the insignia's and they were innate powers of noble and standard drow.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  06:48:01  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Which retcons the old lore because those powers were used without the insignia's and they were innate powers of noble and standard drow.

True, but in the novels it was specifically pointed out that the Insignias of House Do'Urden allowed the family members to use their powers more often than most other drow.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And getting back to the original post:

Vhearun might know WHERE his followers might be able to find mythal lore, though I doubt that the other gods would allow him to just "cut and paste" the information into the brains of the Jaelre clerics and wizards.

A good campaign hook might be trying to find kira gems that would allow the drow to learn about mythal craft before they could find them. You might also have the Jaelre have a specific wizard that has learned how to fuse his essese with that of a fiend in order to be powerful enough to access the powers of the Mythal. I would, just to be different and to add some spice, make the fiend a Yugoloth.

Cormanthyr, Empires of Elves, the old Ruins of Myth Drannor Boxed Set, and Lost Empires of Faerun all have useful information on Mythals, though if you just need information on what your villains need to corrupt it (and what your heroes need to do to stop them) you don't need to know every angle about the Mythal and how it is created.

Oh, and mythals have a focusing point at which they can be accessed, usually a stone set somewhere near the center of the effect. Mythals are essentially living magical fields, as as living things can get quirky over time if not tended. The whole reason that anyone can really mess with mythals NOW is that they have been left untended and are warped and failing (though that does not mean that they WILL fail).

Mythallars are like magical generators that the Netherese used to power effects similar too, but not quite as majestic as, elven Mythals (the Netherese learned their magic from the elves). The Shadow Mythallar in Shade is what provides the power for the city to move and float above the desert.

Go to Top of Page

Kagan Clearwater
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  04:12:39  Show Profile  Visit Kagan Clearwater's Homepage Send Kagan Clearwater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires is the way to go if you want current info on mythals. Depending on how the mythal was setup determines if it could be affected by one entity. That is the anchorable trait. If entity with HD equal to the CL of the mythal that is opposite alignment to that of the creator stays in the vicinity for 24 hours, it stresses the mythal.

This info is straight from the LEoF book. Hope that helps. Also, I'm close to finishing my excel spreadsheet for creating a mythal if anyone is interested. It can be filled out and printed on ONE page. I can post a link later on.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  05:22:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of prefer Cormanthyr's Mythal creation, myself. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  09:28:28  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons of Faerun has given us 3 new Epics spells using the Mythal seed.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  14:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is what I remember...there are 3 types of mythals, 3 methods on making a mythal

1) Elven High Magic mythals (created by elven high magic )

2) Wizardly mythals (created by 10+ Lv spells/true dweomers/epic magic/etc.)

3) Layers of wards and magical fields, one on top of each other, until it seems you have a mythal effect (like Netherese Mythalars, Undermountain, Silverymoon or the drow mansions)

and I have a dim memory that I read somewhere that during the Descent (when the dark elves were deemed "Drouew" (sp?) and fled into the Underdark and became the drow) Corellon removed the drows connection from the Weave thus the drow cannot work Elven High magic anymore...thus they cannot cast or manipulate an Elven High Magic Mythal...so a drow creating a mythal would have to resort to #2 or #3 method

and yes, the Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves is the best book overall for mythals..the old box set Ruins of Myth Drannor may have a bit of info too (the Cormanthyr book's Myth Drannor mythal was based of the box set's mythal)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  00:24:11  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say there is no reason at all that drow could not create a wizardly mythal or layered ward spells.

I'd also have to argue, based on recent novels that describe differences between "true drow" vs. "dark elves" that drow would be capable of High Magic, despite the claims in Cormanthyr Empire of Elves to the contrary. I'd suggest that this is what is believed to be true, not was IS true. I see no reason why a drow who came across the right lore could not perform the ritual to bind himself to an extra-planar entity and gain the ability to wield high magic single handedly.

I do agree that playing around with mythals should be much more difficult than the Last Mythal book makes it. At the very least, making such changes should draw on the mortals life force, as creating the mythal in the first place drew on the caster's.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  01:44:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is possible that drow possess the instrinsic capacity for elven high magic, even though no examples exist to confirm this.

Elven high magic is fundamentally based on profound connections between nature, the Weave, and their interactions. The "unnatural" faez'ress radiations of the Underdark might interfere with high magic. Innate drow magic resistance might make it impossible for their race to use high magic. Societal norms (such as matrons killing wizards who become too threatening, or High Mages invariably being of the noblest elven bloodlines, or the relentless elven purges of any N'Tel'Quessir who attempt high magic) might force drow high mages into utmost secrecy, or may have gradually purged high magic aptitude and knowledge out of their elven clade.

Have drow demonstrated any capacities to use or create artifacts of high magic - kiira (tel'kiira, selu'kiira, etc), diadems, elfblades, moonblades?

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves describes mythals in detail, along with the capacities and construction of two kinds of mythals (High Magic and Wizardly). It also says "the Old Ways are, of course, the best and most proper way to create mythals" and we have seen a shadow mage rejuvenate a mythal, suggesting that mythals can be built without any need for elven high magic.

I think drow can't use high magic; if they could then we would have seen them use it (especially against other drow). But I also think they wouldn't need it to construct mythals.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  04:31:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In earlier material discussing High Magic, whenever requirements for its use were described, other races of elves were listed -- but never drow.

Which makes sense, if you consider High Magic to be a gift from the Seldarine.

That all said, 3E chucked this out the window (along with so much else) by letting drow use High Magic -- it was how they offed Kiaransalee. They used High Magic to make everyone forget about Kia, and in another burst of the inexplicable, she instantly died from this.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  05:11:34  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps they could have relearned or developed their own particular high magic from their ilythiri ancestors?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  05:23:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Perhaps they could have relearned or developed their own particular high magic from their ilythiri ancestors?

Well, the original lore had them flat out excluded from being able to use it. I'd take that to mean that even if trained, they'd not be able to use it.

Of course, the arbitrary culling of the drow pantheon threw that lore out the window.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2013 :  05:27:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any evidence of elven high magic or mythals on other worlds?

When did elves first learn high magic? From their (stolen) copy of the Nether scrolls?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000