Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gold Elves - What attitude do they really have?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  12:34:31  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans are worse, they call other races demihumans

z455t
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  14:51:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

DING! Score 1

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2012 :  04:55:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kno. Oh yes, elves (particularly sun elves) can be quite haughty. I'm an elf lover and I still acknowledge that. Some can be jerks, even to moon elves, and especially to wood elves. But I chose choice two, caring but aloof, because if nothing else, they care for other sun elves. And they aren't the only race that views themselves as superior. Pick any race in Faerun and most probably view themselves as superior.

Plus, elves are one of the older races in Faerun (not the oldest, but older). They were building great civilizations while humans were still living in caves, so there is naturally going to be some bias there.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  19:55:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Alystra - you can't really use non-canon sources to support this argument. You said "they DO have words for the different races", but that is just supposition at this point.

I am not saying I don't agree that there would be such words (it does make sense), but we have thus-far not seen them. I believe the dictionary Lord Karsus compiled is the most comprehensive and FR-specific. I've found words in a few dragon articles which he refused to put in simply because they were 'core' (and he was absolutely right on that account).

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

DING! Score 1
Agreed.

I've been saying for awhile now how it sucks that when we want to discuss 'bad guys' we can simply use 'humanoids', but if we want to talk about their adversaries we have to say humans and demi-humans... thats a mouthful. We need one word (that would be politically correct for everyone) to descride the non-humanoid human-like races (which should include humans). I used to use 'Humanish', but that doesn't really have a nice ring to it. How about Anthroids? Too scify? That would also cover humanish creatures with beastial features, so it is still imperfect.

'People' is too generic.
'The Goodly Folk' is too Tolkienesque, plus its still overly long.
I've seen 'The Free peoples' being used, but once again, that's a mouthful.
'Humankin' sounds good, but would still be considered politically incorrect. Good for game rules, though.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Oct 2012 20:05:42
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  21:06:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kno

DING! Score 1

Elves call other races N'Tel'Quessir (not of the People), so I really don't see the difference. Elves aren't exactly known for being politically correct...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Dieter McMuff
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  20:00:31  Show Profile Send Dr. Dieter McMuff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's amazing. Not one mention of Jander Sunstar, the Gold Elf Vampire. Granted, his particular experiences probably would have knocked anyone off the old high horse, but it did sound like that even when he did breathe, he wasn't the condescending type.
Now this is probably where someone would point out another particular elf that doesn't conform to the social corn so I'll go ahead and do it for ya. I just wanted to toss another Gold Elf on the table.
I'm actually working on a little project that Evermeet will have somewhat of a part in. Seeing that their culture hasn't shaken that gated community outlook just makes what I'm going to do easier.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  20:56:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*headdesk* wow, you're right, I forgot about Jander, which is foolish because I loved him! I read the short story about him in Anthology of the Elves, and then Vampire of the Mists.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  02:01:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

*headdesk* wow, you're right, I forgot about Jander, which is foolish because I loved him! I read the short story about him in Anthology of the Elves, and then Vampire of the Mists.

Jander's FR anthology appearances include:- "One Last Drink" from Realms of Valor, "The Quiet Place" from Realms of Magic, and "Blood Sport" from Realms of Infamy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  03:13:43  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, well "Blood Sport" also appeared in Anthology of the Elves. That's where I first learned of him. I haven't read the other two short stories.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  03:37:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this is interesting, what and how much to reply if I fail Wis check?

While not convinced that Gray Company's site is the best, I would point to http://eilistraee.com/chosen/language.php?page=grammar and associated links.

Evermeet Gold Elves had a guilt trip because of one of them betrayed them, on the other hand Gold Elves started the Crown wars. The I am the best of the best appears to be thousands of years running. Indeed they as a sub-race might be chastised for a while when plan fails, it clearly appears to be an indication that some will rise to the top to lead them to a better plan in which Gold is better then others.

Of course over the thousands of years we know only the few that make the press, that is becoming history, so all Gold should not be judged by recorded actions of the few.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  07:59:47  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came across this thread while I was poking around, and decided to put in my two cents worth. While I do love elves (heck, one of my first characters was a Sun Elf), I had to vote 'pompous jerks' simply based on my own experiences with them (most of my characters' kin were not happy when he began worshipping Eilistraee). Unfortunately, there were no options on the list that would suitably describe my character's personality, save the one that sleyvas noted was absent from the list.

quote:

there's no option for horny

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2013 :  20:09:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to agree, DD. I love elves, including gold elves, but they can also be snobs--moon elves are probably the best. But not all gold elves are snobs. IIRC, most of the elves in Return of the Archwizards and Last Mythal were sun elves.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2013 :  09:33:40  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

Ssri'Tel'Quessir - ‘Drow Elves’ (Pre-Descent)
Er, no, obviously, if it's supposed to be a translation, "Dark Elves", or maybe "Night Elves". And by definition pre-Descent they couldn't be "drow".
For that matter, canonically "Drow" itself is bastardized "Dhaerow" ("black heart").
Also presumably the Creator races in some old sources are refferred to as "Iquar'Tel'Quessir".

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dieter McMuff

That's amazing. Not one mention of Jander Sunstar, the Gold Elf Vampire. Granted, his particular experiences probably would have knocked anyone off the old high horse, but it did sound like that even when he did breathe
Well, yeah.
The "particular experiences" part applies to Vartan Hai Sylvar, too.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  15:59:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't vote on this as none of the categories seem right to me. I largely do not care for how elves have been portrayed in FR but that's just me (and another discussion). Elves are extremely long lived race and discussing them requires an understanding of the implications of their near-immortality. Imagine watching century after century as everything you hold dear diminishes (forests, kingdoms, loved ones dying at the hands of other races, etc). Add to that the fact that elves had a hand in the rise of humankind (in many ways) only to have their lands encroached upon and magic abused in many ways by them. At some point, much resentment would build within their culture just as it does in the real world...except that for elves, who are longer lived, this resentment would continue to be fresh in their minds. Just look at how some cultures have been warring against each other for thousands of years and imagine how much more so the problem would be for elves. In some regards, the fact that they haven't attempted to destroy most other species through High Magic or other means shows that they are, for the most part, of good heart. They are just wounded on a fundamental level in some regards.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  23:46:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish there was a "like" option, but as there is not, I will just say I agree with you, Arcana

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  10:00:39  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

In some regards, the fact that they haven't attempted to destroy most other species through High Magic or other means shows that they are, for the most part, of good heart.
Other species have to thank for their continued existence not as much elven good hearts as their bad attention spans. Except the dragons. Other than that, usually elves were too busy doing this to other elves to put much effort into exterminating anyone else. With a few exceptions noted above in this thread.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000