Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite Trilogy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  12:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Which trilogy is your all time favorite. (NO SPOILERS PLEASE).

Choices:

Dark Elf
Icewind Dale
Shadows of the Avatar
Moonshae
Pools
Maztica
Empires
Druidhome

(Anonymous Vote)

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jul 2005 15:08:33

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  12:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorit trilogi are without doubt the Dark Elf trilogi. It is a briliant peace of writing and the characters, the plot and the location makes for an epic trilogi. If you havent read it, then now is the time.

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  13:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where ist the Finders Stone Trilogy?
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  13:49:51  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put the Trilogies i have read on and then the ones i could find on the net. Havent read them all. Is it good?

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  14:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually for me, according to ranks I label them, with the top one as my most favorite:

1) The Avatar Series(most dynamic to me)

2) The MoonShae Trilogy(very good and well written)

3) The Pool of Radiance, Darkness, Twilight Trilogy(up to my expectations)

4) The Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy(fair enough to meet my expectations)

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

DeathRage
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  14:35:55  Show Profile  Visit DeathRage's Homepage Send DeathRage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the Avatar Trilogy and the Pools Trilogy, for they are among the best trilogies and favorite books I had ever read.

Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  14:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a general comment. Have you all read the Dark Elf trilogi?

Go to Top of Page

DeathRage
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  14:52:13  Show Profile  Visit DeathRage's Homepage Send DeathRage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

As a general comment. Have you all read the Dark Elf trilogi?

Not yet as the books mentioned above in the quote are quite a rarity in my land.

Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  15:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK... If you can get your fingers in them you should. They are by far the best fantasy books i have ever read. They are incredible in all the important ways. I promise you a reading experience beyond the usual.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  16:06:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend trying to get me to read R. A. Salvatore's works lent me an audio-recording of Legacy once, and ever since I fell asleep listening to that (And no, I'm not making this up to have a dig at Bob, it really happened), I've focused my Realms-reading on books by other writers.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  16:10:31  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say any of these make my top-3 (although Shadows of the Avatar is no. 4 on that list.

My favourites are
1. Shadows & Starlight
2. Counselors & Kings
3. Scions of Arrabar
4. Shadows of the Avatar
5. House of Serpents

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  17:13:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Hmmm, not the best poll to run, as an "all time favorite" can not be covered unless all are listed. I noticed that a few of my favorites aren't listed here either. Still, i'm willing to let this poll continue, if ye wish

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  17:48:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I put the Trilogies i have read on and then the ones i could find on the net. Havent read them all. Is it good?

It's my personal fave among trilogies. I rank its authors, Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, among my fave Realms writers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  18:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I admit that this is a poll with some shortcomings, but it was meant as a dual purpose poll. First of all i wondered how many agreed with me that the Dark Elf trilogi is the absolute favorit and secondly i am currently in pursuit of new books to read and i need some reliable recomendations and i know that the sages in here are experts in the lore of the realms. So perhaps you can just recomend some books to me and look away from my poor poll.

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  19:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Finders Stone ist a must read trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  21:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starlight & Shadows -- drow on surface, but without excessive angst and redundant, filler-esque combat sequences. Features a protagonist with real flaws who pays for her mistakes and faces consequences rather than just breezes along without ever developing substantially the way some characters do over the course of over a dozen books. No Jar-Jar Binks-like dwarven comic relief, either, thankfully.

Counselors & Kings -- intriguing characters, great twists, and a very refreshing setting of Halruaa, where not all is European-esque castles and palaces.

I'd say Finder's Stone, too, but I only read Azure Bonds. =/ But I can still recommend the follow-up books, Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck.

And erm... couldn't vote. None of them even remotely ranks as likeable to me, let alone favorite.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  01:52:07  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Hmmm, not the best poll to run, as an "all time favorite" can not be covered unless all are listed. I noticed that a few of my favorites aren't listed here either. Still, i'm willing to let this poll continue, if ye wish

Thank Ye Alaundo.Though this question has been presented in a poll a few times.They're always fun regardless.For me it is the Avatar Trilogy,or series for that matter.I always recommend that this is where new folks to the realms should begin their journey because as stated above it is the most dynamic.It gives a new reader some good insight of some of the deities.How things work.They are an important part of the Realms,and ToT was an important part of Faerun's history.A major part IMO.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:25:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Starlight & Shadows -- drow on surface, but without excessive angst and redundant, filler-esque combat sequences. Features a protagonist with real flaws who pays for her mistakes and faces consequences rather than just breezes along without ever developing substantially the way some characters do over the course of over a dozen books. No Jar-Jar Binks-like dwarven comic relief, either, thankfully.

Counselors & Kings -- intriguing characters, great twists, and a very refreshing setting of Halruaa, where not all is European-esque castles and palaces.

I'd say Finder's Stone, too, but I only read Azure Bonds. =/ But I can still recommend the follow-up books, Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck.

And erm... couldn't vote. None of them even remotely ranks as likeable to me, let alone favorite.

I have to agree with Winterfox, for the most part. I've liked a couple of the listed trilogies, but none of them rank all that highly in the listing of faves.

I've never really understood Drizzt Do'Urden's popularity, either.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:37:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

I have to agree with Winterfox, for the most part.
And I as well. Elaine's 'Counselors & Kings' in particular because I've always been fascinated by Halruaa since the days of the first Shining South tome.

quote:
I've liked a couple of the listed trilogies, but none of them rank all that highly in the listing of faves.
For me as well... although I particularly enjoyed Ed's Shadows of the Avatar.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  09:27:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's my personal fave among trilogies. I rank its authors, Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb, among my fave Realms writers.

Stlarn! I knew I'd forgotten one.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  15:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the list of rankings for my favorite trilogies:

1) The Avatar series

2) The House of Serpents

3) The Year of Rogue Dragons (I know it is not complete yet but i count it among my favorite trilogies)

4) The Shadow of The Avatar

5) The Councillors and Kings trilogy.

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  21:49:27  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OF THESE my favorite is Dark Elf trilogy.
But my true fave is Starlight&Shadows trilogy
Go to Top of Page

Belwar Dissengulp
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  00:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Belwar Dissengulp's Homepage Send Belwar Dissengulp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love how salvatore can give you vivid detailed battles, characters, and seanery (cant spell :\) The Dark Elf trilogy is the first we heard and read of young drizzt. he is one of my fav. characters. Salvatores books grab you and pull you in wont let go. that is why i choose TDET by a long run. if you havnt read it you really should, if you lke big books. lol.

I am the one they call master of the shadows... I am the Crystal Shard!

Bivrip!
^(i think it means "enhance")

Magga Cammara...
^(By the stones)
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  00:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of those on the list I would go for the Dark Elf trilogy. Oddly enough that's what I voted for.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  14:50:21  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am certainly in favor of the Dark Elf Trilogy as well as the Finder Stone trilogy for they are indeed fascinating to read, and I had read them many times already. The Avatar Series and the Moonshae Trilogy are not that bad either.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2005 :  14:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite isn't listed - it's the Legacy of the Drow series, covering The Legacy, Starless Night, Siege of Darkness and Passage to Dawn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2005 :  18:20:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

My favorite isn't listed - it's the Legacy of the Drow series, covering The Legacy, Starless Night, Siege of Darkness and Passage to Dawn.

Of course it's not listed! Only Douglas Adams wrote a trilogy with more than three books.

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  01:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Of course it's not listed! Only Douglas Adams wrote a trilogy with more than three books.

Salvatore is such a great writer that he transcends petty limits such as this arbitrary "trilogy" designation. Therefore, I maintain my answer is valid.
Go to Top of Page

Pipers Youth
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  06:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Pipers Youth's Homepage Send Pipers Youth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal favorite would be the Spider Queen Trilogy. It was just amazing, and I'm impressed by such hard teamwork in putting it together. RA Salvatore really couldn't pick any other people so right for the job.

"I...I truly wish Vangerdahast was still irritating half of Cormyr by running things in his usual capable fashion. He'd handle things so much better than I do."

-Caladnei, Mage Royal
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  09:20:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pipers Youth

My personal favorite would be the Spider Queen Trilogy.
Spider Queen trilogy?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Pipers Youth
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2005 :  21:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Pipers Youth's Homepage Send Pipers Youth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry if I didn't elaborate. It wasn't mentioned in the poll on the first post but the Spider Queen trilogy contains these books.

1( Dissolution: by Richard Lee Byers
2( Insurrection: by Thomas M. Reid
3( Condemnation: by Richard Backer
4( Extinction: by Lisa Smedman
5( Annihilation: by Phillip Athans
6( Resurrection: by Paul S. Kemp

The time is based on the War of The Spider Queen, when Lolth has suddenly disappeared, and withdrawn her favor from her priestesses. In the process Menz, along with other drow cities are left crippled, and other neighboring cities in the Underdark, along with males in general rise up against them to try to gain power. And in the story, one expedition team sent by the Matron of the first house of Menzberranzan, to find out the any clues to the whereabouts of Lolth.

Eh, I don't want to revel any spoilers, but that's basically it in a nutshell.

"I...I truly wish Vangerdahast was still irritating half of Cormyr by running things in his usual capable fashion. He'd handle things so much better than I do."

-Caladnei, Mage Royal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000