Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Help settle an arguement: Predator D&D size
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  08:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Im currently in the process of redoing my "Predator" FR D&D conversion and my brother reckons that there medium sized but I say their large

The Monster Manual defines medium size as 4-8 feet and large as 8-16 Feet.

I believe the Predator would be just over 8 feet tall

* The creature Im refering to is the Predator from the 2 Predator movies (one featuring Arnie) and the more recent Aliens vs Predator it has also appeared in Darkhorse comic series

Choices:

Large
Medium

(Anonymous Vote)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  08:54:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the online sources on the Yautja would seem to suggest that they stand over seven feet tall -- with females averaging just a fraction taller.

This page suggests a height of around 250cm for males and 300cm for females. The wiki entry offers a stat of just over two metres, while one of the primary sources for information on the Predator race tells us that they average a height of around 2-2.5 metres.

Looking at these, I'd also agree with your "large" assessment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  22:40:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be inclined to say Medium (at the top end) instead of Large, and give them the Powerful-Build quality that the Goliaths and Half-Giants have.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  12:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say medium as well. They are close enough in size to humans to not really matter, and they really don't need the negative that come with being large. With their unique weapon sets, they hardly need the reach either.

And, while they are big, they don't quite strike me as large.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  17:09:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They didn't look more than 7' tall, if that, in the movies. I say medium.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  21:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Wooly. Also, having watched the "Making of's", I know that not much was done to increase the actor's height. Being that he was human, that would put him as a Medium. Also, the Governator is about the same height.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  21:58:32  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say medium. You have said the facts already..
And word 'predator' is something dangerous, but also fast and creature with good movement in my mind. Not something big creature.
I would say medium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  22:28:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want another option *wink*

As far as it goes you could go with level advancement in monster Hit Dice (where many change size).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  23:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Kentinal, as one of the sad few who actually saw both of those movies, I can say that older, wiser Predators are also Medium. Now, I will go back to my daily penance of watching the D&D Movie.

Edited by - Melfius on 25 Jul 2005 23:05:12
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  23:54:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the Predators at least a foot taller than Arnine

Near the end of the movie the Predator picks Arnie up by his throat and raises him up so their looking eye ball to eye ball and Arnies boots are dangling around the Predators knees

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  00:01:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Actually the Predators at least a foot taller than Arnine

Near the end of the movie the Predator picks Arnie up by his throat and raises him up so their looking eye ball to eye ball and Arnies boots are dangling around the Predators knees

The knees are one foot or less from the ground, perhaps. *wink* or very swmall person was picked up.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  00:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Height of the knees is dependent on the height of the person. Arnie is over 6 feet tall and I reckon Kevin Peter Hall (The actor who plays the Predator) is close to 7 foot

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  00:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless, 6 or 7 feet, it still falls well within the Medium range.

Edited by - Melfius on 26 Jul 2005 00:18:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  00:26:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The Height of the knees is dependent on the height of the person. Arnie is over 6 feet tall and I reckon Kevin Peter Hall (The actor who plays the Predator) is close to 7 foot

According to IMDB.com, the late Kevin Peter Hall was 7'2˝". Still Medium.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  00:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I would be inclined to say Medium (at the top end) instead of Large, and give them the Powerful-Build quality that the Goliaths and Half-Giants have.

Hmm thats an idea

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2005 :  14:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

That's a great idea. I would consider Predators medium creatures, I don't think they are large enough to warrant AC penalties or have reach. I like the Powerful Build quality, it is perfect for situations like this where a race is significantly larger and stronger than humans, but not large enough to be considered "large."

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  05:57:22  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Medium...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  07:59:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now where did you find this one hidden Gryphon? Medium would be my late answer. Or maybe raw?
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:03:52  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It kind of just jumped out and bit me...as I was blindly wandering about the Halls...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler

Edited by - GRYPHON on 16 Jan 2008 10:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:59:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My initial thought was medium - going by the movies really. However, the arguements found here supported that first thought of mine. So my vote is out and it goes to medium.

Ergdusch, supporter of the 'Medium for Preditor 2008' Campaign

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

BlackDragonKarameikos
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Visit BlackDragonKarameikos's Homepage Send BlackDragonKarameikos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say large as well. The actor that actually played the original Predator(in the movie with Arnold) was 7' 4" if I remember correctly(which is why he was hired for the part, they wanted someone that was taller than Arnold).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000