Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I'd like to convert "Bliss" to a 3.5 spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  22:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There is a Lliiran spell in Faith & Avatars called "Bliss" on page 100. I'd like to convert this second edition spell to 3.5. Has anyone ever done something like this before, and what are your suggestions for this spell. Thanks everyone.

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  14:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be considered fair use for you to reprint the original spell here? Mods?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  16:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to reprint copyrighted stuff. It is only a few sentences though. It is a cool spell, whereby the subject entered a dreamlike peaceful trance state.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:34:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Copyrighted material can be posted, but we need to be cautious with it and do so sparingly.

Big Al has said these two things in the past, in reference to posting copyrighted info:

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

When using official sources, it is preferable to include as little text as possible and instead list the name of the sourcebook and page number. However, if some text is required, please give the appropriate source and copyright.

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Could all scribes posting information from other locations please place credit to the author\site within the quote, just to avoid any copyright or ownership issues which may arise. Thank ye

Myself, I usually set it off in quotes (using the second button from the right, the one with the page and the red arrow), and/or italicize it. I also name the exact source and the page number(s) within that source.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
955 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:54:23  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sort of converted the spell as a spell-like ability in my write-up of the joydancer PrC here:

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/prestige_classes.html

Bliss(Sp): At 3rd level, joydancers can cause a single target to be lost in a trance of intense pleasure and happiness for 1 round/joydancer level, 1/day, unless the target makes a Will save (DC 10 + joydancer level + Charisma modifier). The sensation is felt so acutely the creature fails to notice the rest of the world, approaching danger, or pain. An affected target wanders aimlessly about, smiling in a dazed fashion and dropping any items it is holding or wielding. Affected targets cannot perform any deliberate task, attack, or defend themselves, even if wounded during their blissful state.

I believe there has since been a similar type of spell in the Book of Exalted Deeds (can't remember the name) and you could also check out WotC handled the faerie dragon's euphoria gas breath weapon in the Draconomicon.
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  13:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone. especially thanks Tom.

Here is the spell, from page 100 of Faiths & Avatars:
level 2 spell
sphere: charm
range: 5 yds/level
components: S
Duration: 4 rounds
casting time: 5
area of effect: 1 person
saving throw; neg
what the spell actually does is fairly analagous to the effect described in Tom's prestige class.

I am thinking of keeping the spell as a second level spell and base its effects, duration, range on "Hold Person." Of course, instead of being held, the subject wanders around in a joyous state, oblivious to all things.

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  13:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bliss
Level 2 cleric/bard
Enchantment
Range (Keep 5 yards per level, or switch to a static 200 feet)
Components: S (+V, bard)
Duration: (Keep 4 rounds [which is now 24 seconds] or switch to 1d8+1 rounds)
Casting time: (Er, I don’t have a book with me, so the regular casting time for most spells. I just don’t remember the notation they use now.)
Area of effect: 1 creature*
Saving Throw: Will neg.

As Per Tom Costa’s description.

*I would add that mindless undead, constructs, and creatures that have no actual emotions (For whatever reason) are immune to the spell.

This is just off the top of my head. I’m sure I’m missing some 3.X categories, but the concept remains the same.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  14:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looks good. one of the few reasons I don't want to use Tom's stuff, which is very cool, is that I want the PC to be able to rattle this spell off frequently.

The party has strong roguely tendencies(good guy roguey tendencies, not steal stuff and kill people roguey tendencies), and this spell would certainly help them in this regard.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
955 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  18:18:29  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind the spell is almost as powerful as hold person, in that it completely incapcitates the person -- it just doesn't leave them prone and available for a coup de grace.

So that said....

Range should probably be changed to Close.
Duration: Should probably be a little more than hold person, but not much and only if you decide to allow a save each round.

You don't need to note that certain creatures are immune to this effect, as an Enchanment (Compulsion) spell it is a [Mind-affecting] spell, which makes all constructs, undead, vermin, and mindless creatures immune to it by default.

I'd also check out the conversion manual on 2E to 3E.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  22:53:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Bear in mind the spell is almost as powerful as hold person, in that it completely incapcitates the person -- it just doesn't leave them prone and available for a coup de grace.

So that said....

Range should probably be changed to Close.
Duration: Should probably be a little more than hold person, but not much and only if you decide to allow a save each round.

You don't need to note that certain creatures are immune to this effect, as an Enchanment (Compulsion) spell it is a [Mind-affecting] spell, which makes all constructs, undead, vermin, and mindless creatures immune to it by default.

I'd also check out the conversion manual on 2E to 3E.

And that conversion manual can be downloaded from this page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bjorn the Studious
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  14:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Bjorn the Studious's Homepage Send Bjorn the Studious a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That did the trick Wooly. Thanks again everyone.

Bliss should make its debut next month when the PC finally becomes a 3rd level cleric.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000