Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Khelben's fall(Yes ?)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings to all forum members, it seems that that there is growing support(even I support the idea) for Khelben fall from grace, hence I decided to post this topic. Rather than make it a poll to see how Khelben should fall or not, I decided not to make it a poll so everyone can freely express their ideas on how Khelben should fall and rise again. As a note, please, no offensive statements against the authors.
Thanks, and come, feel free to post your views.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:13:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Firstly, I would ask why FR fans would want to see Khelben fall?

And secondly, I hope this topic is not related to the kind of "I want Elminster to die" trends that occasionally pop up on message boards. If it's a creative discussion, then fine.

However, my original query still remains...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In reply to The Sage or Moderator second question, what I posted is not a "anti-khelben" topic but rather focuses on what the FR fans had been envisioning and dreaming to see, it is a topic of creative discussion of what the fans envision, not a anti-khelben topic. Please do not be mistaken.
In reply to the Moderator, The Sage, question 1, It is like, if there is such novels like Book 1 of the Shadow of The Avatar trilogy and Elminister in Hell where it shows the great El using his own wits than powers to survive, then surely there can be a similar event on a Chosen such as Khelben, what those fans posted earlier in a different topic -which I believe- are not anti-khelben messages but rather I believe it to be hasty replies to convey their wishes which may had been mistaken as anti-khelben messages.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.
Go to Top of Page

StromLancer
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:30:47  Show Profile  Visit StromLancer's Homepage Send StromLancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahem, in a bid to clear up any confusion and avoid any possible clashes between the moderators and the fans. What i posted earlier in a different topic called:"What do you want to see in FR novels", was actually a suggestion that maybe one day we could see Khelben walk the same path walked by Elminister and experienced by Elminister. I mean I would like to see Khelben reactions and how he cope with such as loss of his Chosen status like how Elminister coped with the inability to cast Magic in Book 1 of the SotA trilogy or will he end up like Sammaster. I did not say I would want Khelben to fall permanently but a fall and rise again idea with Khelben becoming more wiser and more patient from the experience like Elminister.
I am sure my explanation represents the FR fans thoughts and desires, which I hope would not be viewed as a bit too harsh or anti-khelben. Thank you.
With the moderators' permission, can we begin posting?

Lead the war fate commands you to!
...but are you fighting the true enemy?

Edited by - StromLancer on 19 Jul 2005 06:33:12
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:52:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

In reply to The Sage or Moderator second question, what I posted is not a "anti-khelben" topic but rather focuses on what the FR fans had been envisioning and dreaming to see, it is a topic of creative discussion of what the fans envision, not a anti-khelben topic. Please do not be mistaken.
It was mainly in reference to my hope that this scroll remain free of such "anti-Khelben" statements.

Creative and intelligent discussion of the Realmslore is what we are here for.

quote:
I am sure my explanation represents the FR fans thoughts and desires, which I hope would not be viewed as a bit too harsh or anti-khelben. Thank you.
Of course not. It's just that we do have the occasional disruptive elements who pass through these halls looking to cause problems, and I wanted to make it clear to such posters that their brand of interference will not be tolerated here .

quote:
With the moderators' permission, can we begin posting?
Yes, by all means .

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 06:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:57:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um guys, you do realize that the Chosen are already insane. :) Ed has said this repeatedly. Khelben spent years without a "real" name because he was shunned by the elves.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DeathRage
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  09:17:18  Show Profile  Visit DeathRage's Homepage Send DeathRage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heard that Khelben ancestry line can be traced back to one of the elven Houses of Myth Drannor and some say his grandfather as a half-elf who so happened to be accepted into One of the great Houses of Myth DRannor. And another Khelben did existed whose name was also Khelben but I heard it was Khelben "Raven" Arunsun.
Say, This Khelben "Raven" Arunsun had been MIA(missing in action) for a very long time, perhaps it is high time that this MIA khelben returns to assume the current Khelben position.

Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  09:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeathRage

Heard that Khelben ancestry line can be traced back to one of the elven Houses of Myth Drannor and some say his grandfather as a half-elf who so happened to be accepted into One of the great Houses of Myth DRannor. And another Khelben did existed whose name was also Khelben but I heard it was Khelben "Raven" Arunsun.
Say, This Khelben "Raven" Arunsun had been MIA(missing in action) for a very long time, perhaps it is high time that this MIA khelben returns to assume the current Khelben position.

Hmm...it was said that Khelben "Blackstaff" pop in during the youth days of Khelben "Raven" and told him he was taking over. That Khelben "Raven" agreed and vanished into the Realms, never seen again but some say he is still alive.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  11:27:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For matters pertaining to Khelben's history, I turn to the words of Sage Schend (this is from a couple different posts):

quote:
The Khelben Arunsun Official Timeline (as far as I'm concerned)

Dates: 414 - 464
Identity: “Arun’s Son”
Notes: Goes from birth as first human in a noble elven bloodline; he has no name until his near-death at age 50 in Anauroch.

Timeline Events:

414 Year of Omen Stars
On Higharvestide, Arielimnda, a human ranger, fellow Harper, and wife of Arun Maerdrym, delivers a human son. Since he is human, the boy is not allowed to bear the Maerdrym name. Arun follows an ancient elven custom and does not name the boy, allowing him the freedom to earn a name (and perhaps a place in the clan) later.
426 Year of the Black Dawn
Arun's human son joins students of the Seven Wizards of Myth Drannor as a pupil of Mentor Wintercloak. At age 12, he remains unnamed, though he has a number of nicknames some elves gave him: Biir ("garbage," used by commoner elves) or Zenar ("Less than half," as a nobles' double insult against himself and his half-breed father). His few green elf friends call him Bhin, a word for "young human."
449 Year of the Fledglings
The son of Arun finishes his tutelage under Mentor Wintercloak and leaves Myth Drannor to learn of the world and teach it the ways and magics of the City of Song. Secretly, he also plans on proving his worth to his father's clan and becoming one of the first Harpers outside of Cormanthyr and the eastern lands. He takes the only name he has been called of which he is proud: Arun's Son. He vows to claim his place among the Maerdrym once he has earned a true name.
464 Year of the True Names
While wandering across Anauroch, Arun's Son saves a trio of Evereskan elves from a phaerimm ambush nearly at the cost of his life. Retrieved from death by Mystra, he becomes her Chosen, "as he whom magic, duty, and honor defines." As the Nameless Chosen, he becomes the first human ever to stay among Evereska's glades.

Dates: 464 - 712
Identity: The Nameless Chosen
Notes: Adopts this as his title/”name” as he does not know that Mystra gave him his truename as “he whom duty & honor defines”

Timeline Events:

Campaign #4:
The Woodsheart Wars
A.K.A. "Cormanthyr's Carnage"
Location: All over the forest; focal points around Myth Drannor and within the mythal's interior
Time: Ches - Marpenoth 712 (219 days)
Campaign Victor: Cormanthyr's Elves/Allies
The longest of the campaigns, this operation also has the most objective information to report, despite the wide fronts and constant activity. The bulk of the campaign occurred as skirmishes between small groups of scouts and perimeter patrollers. With the Army of Darkness becoming dug-in within the mythal, it took outside allies and much of the year to uproot them and drive them from the mythal. The brief incursion of the Dalesmen early in this campaign is the only outside support Cormanthyr received during the war, and this lasted only until the Army was removed from the mythal. Whether the Dalesmen allies left of their own accord or were dismissed by elves believing their aid to be unecessary is unknown. After Higharvestide 712 Dalereckoning, the Dalesmen only guarded the fringes of the forest and their own home Dales, with two exceptions: the Dalesmen forces (and those few AWOL War Wizards of Cormyr) sent to the Battle of Snowsblood Trail and Standing Stone's Blood were crucial in gaining a victory after the fall of the limited elven defenders.
Once the Army of Darkness' choke-hold on Myth Drannor is broken early on, much of the campaign concerns forcing the Army of Darkness out of the mythal and east, since south would expose Semberholme. A secondary action during this campaign involved the drive eastward to reestablish the older elven seat at the ruins of Old Elven Court. Arms-Captain Hachaam Selorn led the Fourth Legion and the Eagle Wing cavalry of the Akh`Velahr and the Dragonwing and Wyvernwing of the Akh`Faer as the primary army in charge of reclaiming the area from the drow corruption.

Dawn at Erolith's Knoll
A.K.A.: The Fight atop Erolith's Mound, Rise of the Dales
Dates: Ches 4 - 5
Victor: Cormanthyr's Elves/Allies
This battle centered on and around Erolith's Mound, the burial place of a noted sylvan elf scout and warrior. The battle at Erolith's Knoll saw the counter-invasion of the Elven Woods by a ragtag army of volunteers led by Mindal the warrior, and they stood to help the elves against their monstrous foes. The battle, coordinated by Lady Alais Dree, saw the First Legion of the Army of Darkness pincered between elves on the north and northeast, and Dalesmen on the west. While initially suprised, the Army's superior numbers still allowed them to hold the ground, and the allies faltered in their attacks. The Army decimated the elven troops, ignoring the Dalesmen as nearly ineffectual gnats until the timely arrival of the former armathor Elminster Aumar and the Nameless Mage (both Chosen of Mystra) turned the battle back to the allies' favor. By battle's end, despite losses of more than half the Dalesmen and 20% of the elven cavalry, the Allies of Cormanthyr destroy the 1st Regiment of the Battalion Grievous and the 3rd Regiments of both the Agonists and the Painful. As was their intention, they put the army on the move east and south, skirting them around the city and hopefully out of the mythal.

Battle of the Three Chosen
Dates: Ches 16 - 17
Victor: Cormanthyr's Elves/Allies
Major Deaths: The Icepikes & Ardorstaves Battalions

This battle, as a combined number of skirmishes among the Silverglades south of Myth Drannor, merely kept the First and Second Legions from entrenching themselves and kept moving them along to the east (though some were driven north to either reconnoiter with the Imperious at Oloriil or wander the northern woods. It is notable only as the first known meeting of three of Mystra's Chosen (Elminster Aumar, the Nameless Mage, and the Lady Symrustar Auglamyr) and their destruction of four regiments among the two legions!

Silversgate
A.K.A.: The Second Siege of Myth Drannor, the Nameless Sacrifice, the Chosen's Choice
Dates: Tarsakh 11 - 13
Victor: Cormanthyr's Elves/Allies (tactical); Army of Darkness (emotional). Cormanthyr's victory is in driving the Army of Darkness out of the city, while they claim the victory of forcing the elves to close many gates and the loss of powerful allies and leaders.
Major Deaths: The Nameless Chosen, Wollys Silvershield (high priest of Selûne); Colonel Cvor "the Whipmaster"
The battle at Silversgate is one of the most storied and heroic tales of the entire Weeping War, as one who was denied his name by Myth Drannor apparently gave his life in its cause. In short, the Army of Darkness was driven east, and its northern and southern factions merged and punched through the elven defenders on the western front as they passed, allowing them a second charge on Myth Drannor. The bulk of this battle occurs among the streets of the old city Cormanthor, and its climax centers on the Silversgate, the magical gate to Silverymoon Pass and a link to the sister cities of Ascalhorn and Silverymoon.
While the military fought bravely on all fronts, this battle was primarily one of magic and thus spearheaded by Spell-Major Josidiah Starym, Elminster, Symrustar Auglamyr, and the Nameless Chosen. With many elven forces exhausted from the previous battles, only the cavalry and two-thirds of the available Akh`Faer forces were in the city for its defense until the arrival after battle's start of the Wing cavalry, some gold, silver, and electrum dragon allies, and the Three Chosen.
The spellcasters and military worked together to isolate and destroy the reduced and tired battalions (the Cruelty, the Colossus, the Grievous, Battalion Arcane) of the Army of Darkness. In all, the Army of Darkness suffered the loss of a battalion's worth of troops, losing 11 marches and 4 complete regiments in the melee. Among them, four entire tribes of gnolls were totally destroyed as was the most powerful march in the Army, Cvor's all mezzoloth March of the 2nd Cruelty Regiment.
Cvor's March, or "the Whipmaster's March" as more commonly known among the troops, laid siege to the Silversgate in upper Cormanthor at highsun on the second day of battle, following his orders to guard the gate against any allied incursions while the Fourth Cruelty Regiment sought magical items and plunder in the surrounding buildings and ruins. The Nameless Chosen became enraged by the destruction of his native city and the abrupt slaying of a trio of young bronze dragons that had emerged through the gate to lend aid requested a tenday ago. As their overall plans were capable of moving the Army out of the city, the other mages were sadly resigned to the losses, since the Army's battalions had learned to tighten their ranks and attack and raid as an army rather than random hordes; still bereft of Gaulguth's commanding presence, the troops and attacks were tightly organized to prevent any major losses unless their formations were broken. The Nameless One lost his temper over the "insufferable waiting for them to trip hidden spelltraps with no guarantees for success—We are supposed to be the pride and glory of Faerûn, but we cower like rabbits waiting for a fox to stop stalking its warren!"
With a roar of anger and vengeance, the Nameless exploded through the roof of one of the Six Tyryl Towers, his body glowing and his hair and robes ablaze in silver flames! Similarly to the dragon Peridot's rash charge, he dove headlong into the amassed and "impenetrable" forces of the besieging Army, scattering many gnolls and ogres and orcs like chaff before a great wind. Driving a wedge through the forces, he converged on the Silversgate, where Colonel Cvor and his mezzoloths stood. Spreading his arms wide, the Nameless One scrawled one line in the shattered marble of the street before him with a beam of silver fire, and no mezzoloth crossed that line that day. On his arms, he formed massive wings of silver fire, raising them high and knocking many creatures down from high towers or parapets. As he walked slowly and steadily forward, the blazing line advanced with him, forcing all back before him. Fully aflame now, the Nameless began reaching out with his silver wings and sweeping the nycaloths into the gate, which opened at his merest word. Spelltraps lying in wait activated at his will, causing explosions that claimed more savage lives as he walked unharmed within them. Over 600 mezzoloths and goblins and other creatures fell before the fury of the Nameless, and Myth Drannor's defenders rallied once more. With a large wedge driven into the Army's forces, the Akh`Faer and the cavalry had their openings they could exploit and drive the Army before them again.

Fate of the Nameless One
The Nameless Chosen stood before the Silversgate, driving the Whipmaster Cvor before him, and he laughed at the mezzoloth's challenge. As Nameless turned to bid his comrades-at-arms good will and luck in battle, the razor-studded whip of Cvor wrapped about his throat, and the two fell into the gate, struggling. Flying to his aid, Elminster the Crafty entered the Silversgate and shut the gate behind him to isolate Cvor's March. The Nameless Chosen's full intent in his mad attack was to open up the Army's lines and isolate sectors of it to destroy more easily than the collective. Alone but undaunted, the fire-engorged form of the Nameless One towered over the battle. Back to back with the elder Chosen Elminster, he fought hundreds of mezzoloth within the rocky Silverymoon Pass, and the glow of his silvery form drew attention from Silverymoon. Still, while his successes led to victory for the Allies of Cormanthyr, the hubris of the Nameless One led to his undoing.
Trusting that his flaming form would be proof against any attacks, he was caught unawares by Colonel Cvor when it used a captured elven artifact (the Harness of the Giant-Slayer Alayris) to grow to a giant's size and seize the flaming mage by hand and foot. More swiftly than the reactions of either Chosen, Cvor pulled the Nameless Chosen nearly in half by sheer strength and brutality! The explosion of magical power and fire utterly consumed Cvor and over 200 nearby mezzoloths, but not the one who wielded it. As the fireball subsided, the Nameless One lay dying, the silver fire desperately draining away out of his laid-open torso. While Elminster later reported that Mystra herself preserved his life as he lay wounded, at least three sources (two half-elven histories and one elven song) suggest that another power such as Sehanine saved him in return for his aiding her People. Still, the High Mage of Silverymoon Ecamane Truesilver and his supporting wizard forces protected the body of the fallen Chosen from the remaining mezzoloths. Together, while the Nameless One was sent magically to Silverymoon for healing, Elminster and the elderly and frail Ecamane destroyed the gate to Myth Drannor, detonating it from within and at its exit. The explosions slew the remnants of the Fourth Regiment surrounding it at Myth Drannor as well as clearing Silverymoon Pass of its remaining brethren.
As a result of this battle, Myth Drannor's forces won the day, but unknowingly paid a high price. Elminster was lost within the planes for a time, due to his task of destroying the gate from within, while Ecamane Truesilver died due to the strain of breaking the gate from its exit point at Silverymoon Pass. The Nameless Chosen lay like one dead for more than the next year, though Mystra speaks to those who tend him, calling him "he whom magic, duty, and honor defines." His elven nurse, who hears this in her own tongue, gives him the name Akhelbhen; upon his awakening, the Nameless Chosen, once called Arun's Son is introduced him to the new High Mage Aglanthol as Khelben Arunsun. His body healed but forever scarred across his chest and back where he was nearly torn in twain, he voluntarily banishes his vanity and keeps a wedge of silver-white hair in his beard to remind him of the silver flames dancing within it and how it does not make him invincible. It also signifies his debts, as it reminds him of Silverymoon and what he owes its people as well.

Dates:712 - 714
Identity: The Nameless Sleeper
Notes: Lies in coma in Silverymoon after nearly dying at the Battle of Silversgate in the Weeping War of Myth Drannor.

Dates: 714 - c748
Identity: Akhelben Arunson
Notes: Name immediately shortened to Khelben due to hard-of-hearing elf nurse at his bedside who hears what Mystra has named him.

Timeline Events:

720 Year of the Dawn Rose
The Gathering of the Gods at the Dancing Place signals the refounding of the Harpers at the request of some elves from Elven Court. In attendance are all 15 of the Harpers at Twilight who survived the previous decade, including Lady Alais Dree, Elminster Aumar, Khelben Arunsun (once the Nameless Chosen), and Meil "Darkhunter" Araeln.

Dates: c748 - c808
Identity: Hauliyr “the Old Witch”
Notes: Helped raise some of the 7 sisters at this lifetime; primarily responsible for raising the girl Syluné after the Harper Thamator the Old could not raise her as a ranger, so Khelben as Hauliyr taught her magic from 775 until “death” in 808.

Dates: c808 – c816
Identity: Malek Aldhanek
Notes: Works anonymously in court of Laeral the Witch-Queen of the North as a Tethyrian wizard—smitten by her but unrequited as yet; cut short by assassination he has to go along with and abandon this identity, Laeral grieves for ID’s death, realizing love “too late.” Laeral butts heads with Syluné c.841 and abandons her realm near future Luskan (806-841) to become Chosen at age 76 (though she looks 20ish), as does Syluné.

Dates: c816 - c844
Identity: ?
Notes: Lost years ...

Dates: c844 - c956
Identity: ”Halver Gehrin”
Notes: Too known in Silverymoon to elves, thus he is known as Khelben (privately) & as Halver (publicly). Helps fence in Hellgate Keep in 886; never came to Waterdeep in this “lifetime”; trains Ahghairon in Silverymoon during this time & “dies” 4 years after A becomes Waterdeep’s premeir mage.
Also during this lifetime, Khelben secretly studies the Prophecies of Alaundo and takes on his darker, now-familiar mien. He begins planning for the long-off future and the potential dangers of the phaerimm (pieces of plan include moving to Waterdeep, collecting many magical items, reforming the Harpers, forming the Teukiira, etc.)
Ahghairon of Waterdeep’s lifespan = 920-1256; 927 - 941 is his time of tutoring in Silverymoon. Two of his many tutors are Renwick (Thornhold) and Halver aka Khelben. Khelben later helps Ahghairon create the Helms & Cloaks of Waterdeep

Dates: c956 - c1113
Notes: Lost Years 2 ...: Has at least two lifetimes w/aliases but does not openly travel as Khelben; helps create offices of Heralds (996) and helps Elminster refound the Harpers again in 1022. Spent 3 decades in the 900s in Serôs, eradicating spelljammer wrecks & recovering from broken heart.

Dates: c.1113 - 1256
Identity: Khelben Arunson - “Khelben the Elder.”
Notes: Arrives in Waterdeep & builds Arunsun Tower in 1150; Zelphar Arunsun’s lifespan = c1249 – 1311.

Dates: 1256 - c1270
Notes: Lost Years 3 ...: between aliases and setting up Ducat’s background, working for Harpers?

Dates: c.1270 - 1311
Identity: Ducat Eattel
Notes: Khelben finally in Waterdeep (or perhaps returned since Lost Years) in the guise as Ducat Eattel (a secret Lord recruited by Shilarn and Baeron in 1273), who is appointed one of the first Magisters (judges) of Waterdeep

Timeline Event:

1302 Khelben the Younger born to Zelphar and Lhestyn

Dates: 1311 - 1321
Identity: Khelben the Elder
Notes: Returns to his tower, fakes death as Ducat Eattel, & trains his namesake in secret after death of his son.

Dates: 1321 - 1370
Identity: Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun
Notes: The elder Khelben replaces the younger, taking himself his own grandson’s identity and adds honorific of the Blackstaff.

Khelben’s Marriages/Loves

Dates: 714 - 748
Name: Khelben I
Marital Status: Single
Children: 1 daughter (½elf)

Dates: c.748 - c.808
Name: “Hauliyr”
Marital Status: Married
Childrne: 2 daughters (½ elves) (Saheen Silverbrow)

Dates: 844 - 956
Name: “Halver Gehrin” [Khelben II (privately only)]
Marital Status: Married (½e)
Children: 2 daughters (one ½elf, one human)

Dates: 1100 - 1256
Name: Khelben III “the Elder”
Marital Status: Married (human) Children: 1 son, 1 daughter (twin h)
Married (human) Children: 2 daughters; 1 son(Zelphar)

Dates: 1302 - now
Name: Khelben IV “the Blackstaff”
Marital Status: Single
Children: Unknown (no children? Maura?)

Marriage/Love: 750 – 774
Wife/Lover: Mariel Silverbrow
Details: Half-elf wife; as human son of half-elf, his kids can be half-elves. Raised his half-elf daughters (751, 755) until 770, and they leave. training Syluné from 775 – 808 w/death; Saheen returns to finish Syluné’s training.

Marriage/Love: 808-816
Wife/Lover: (Laeral)
Details: Realizes his truelove in Laeral, though circumstances don’t allow the match to happen; Khelben’s identity dies, leaving Laeral to grieve.

Marriage/Love: 830s?
Details: Second missed opportunity; this time, it is Khelben who holds Laeral off

Marriage/Love: 866ish
Details: Third missed opportunity, since Khelben is married in his alias as Halver. Don’t see each other after sealing of Hellgate Keep for more than 200 years.

Marriage/Love: 862 – 879
Wife/Lover: (half-elf)
Details: Wife dies in childbirth after years of trying for kids, bearing twin daughters nearly identical save that one is half-elf and the other human.

Marriage/Love: 1080s?
Details: She’s married this time and he’s tied up with Harperstuff….. Go nearly 300 years apart…

Marriage/Love: 1109 – 1146
Wife/Lover: ? (human)
Details: Human wife in area near Yartar? Children grown & gone by 1130 (b. 1112); wife dies & K finally goes to Waterdeep as Khelben (later known as “the Elder”)

Marriage/Love: 1238 – 1251?
Wife/Lover: Cassandra ?
Details: Human wife bears three kids in 1240, 1244, and 1249; 2-yr-old daughter dies in attack by Kerrigan the Traitor Lord in 1246. Disappears in 1251 after death of wife to deal with Harper business; Zelphar raised by cousins in Neverwinter and visited intermittently by Khelben (whose official death is set c.1280). Returns later as Ducat Eattel, his family gone from Waterdeep.

Marriage/Love: 1329 – present
Wife/Lover: Laeral
Details: Khelben entrenched in Waterdeep as the Blackstaff by 1322; pursues Laeral across the North at times, though she is part of the Nine now and is reluctant to finally consummate 500 years of missed opportunities and unrequited passion. Khelben continues, saving her from the Crown of Horns in 1357. By 1360, the pair is finally together & inseparable.

- The Swordsage

Well, according to Laeral, he has a fascinating mole on his...er, best let modesty stop us here.....

Khelben cannot stand the taste of zzar but does have a well-stocked wine cellar of his favorite full-bodied Tethyrian red wines....

Steven
who can also say Khelben and Laeral both like tiramisu when they can get it....

----------

"Lady Cassandra Thann is the daughter of Zelphar Arunsun.....
Zelphar comes to Waterdeep with young daughter in tow; eventually meets and marries Lhestyn {whose maiden name I don't recall}.
Lhestyn & Zelphar have a child named Khelben; this child will grow up and be called Khelben the Blackstaff untill a distant ancestor shows up and takes the kid's identity. The kid then takes a hike off into the planes and eventually ends up on Greyhawk Oerth as Khelben Ravencloak.......
Despite the secret switch (known only to a select few in the Realms and the readers), most people honestly believe he's the son of Zelphar & Lhestyn (though we know he's about 800+ years older than that). Thus, Cassandra still treats him like a little brother, and any times he seems older than that she mentally chalks it up to "his mysteries and wizards' training." While Dan is astute and probably figures that his "uncle" is far more than that, he's playing along with this charade as it's how the Blackstaff wants to play it. Of all the folks on the Realms, I'd guess that only Elminster, Khelben himself, the Seven Sisters (or at least those he helped raise), and a few select elves in Silverymoon, Evermeet, and Cormanthyr might know his secret; and, of course, they've got good reasons not to tell anyone too....... Even the other Lords are not in on this secret, though Mirt & Durnan suspect, while Piergeiron merely trusts Khelben on faith.... "

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  15:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say the idea seems likely or appeals to me. What's your thinking, Sir V?
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:56:47  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the idea at all. Khelben is in this status, and i SUPPORT keeping his situation.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Khelben has been through his share of trials and tribulations, and has earned his status. That being said, I would love to see a novel series based on Khelben as we have seen with Elminster. I am excited about Steven Schend's upcoming novel Blackstaff, but as I understand it, this will be set in present day Faerun. I would like to see the history of the Blackstaff in novel form.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  12:31:17  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I can't say the idea seems likely or appeals to me. What's your thinking, Sir V?

I say my answer is the idea is highly appealing to me, I like to see Khelben going through the Trials of Fire, which so many FR heroes have already been through, even the gods themselves too.

Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  12:54:11  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I say my answer is the idea is highly appealing to me, I like to see Khelben going through the Trials of Fire, which so many FR heroes have already been through, even the gods themselves too.

Trials of Fire? What kind of Trials of Fire?

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  14:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would you want to see Khelben fall? He is a solid character and an important piece of the huge puzzle that is FR. But give us a solid series of novels giving us the story of the Blackstaff. Then we can discuss the matter.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  16:47:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben's fall (Yes?)

Well of course Khelben needs to fall. He is after all the most prominent and well-developed example of a white hat prepared to get his hand more than a little dirty today to make the world a better place tomorrow, as well as the single best defence of the city of Waterdeep - which obviously should fall too, not having experienced any major setbacks the last decade, right?

And it's not as if Khelben's had a hard life before now, is it? I mean okay - he was apparently bullied by the other mage-students as a child, later saw his birth-country (where he had never been fully accepted by the elven aristocracy despite nearly giving his life to defend it) fall to a horde of devils and monsters, spent years pining after Laeral, watched another lover die in childbed, watched several other loved ones (lovers, children, friends) die of old age as he's kept living - so yes, do let him suffer some real hardness.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 21 Jul 2005 16:48:31
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  17:32:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree that he's Waterdeep's best defense. There are many more archmages in that city, plus high level thieves, fighters, etc. One archmage isn't the cities best defense, Chosen or not.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  17:40:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on what you mean by best defence. If you mean that he personally can turn aside an attacking force, yes he can, but so can a few other high level wizards in the city.

If you mean that he know what enemies that the city will likely face and the best way of avoiding them or preemtively dealing with them, then you may be back to Khelbun being their best defence.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  18:13:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I disagree that he's Waterdeep's best defense. There are many more archmages in that city, plus high level thieves, fighters, etc. One archmage isn't the cities best defense, Chosen or not.

Ah well, I might have gotten a bit carried away, although, one should remember that in terms of being a defence of the city, Khelben isn't just Khelben, he's also Laeral, the Moonstars, and any Harper still willing to work with him.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  18:20:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
Ah well, I might have gotten a bit carried away, although, one should remember that in terms of being a defence of the city, Khelben isn't just Khelben, he's also Laeral, the Moonstars, and any Harper still willing to work with him.

Yes, and? Shrug. Durnan has his group. Mirt has his friends and lover and contacts. The nobles have thier mages and archmages. Look at the Wands family alone. The churches as well.

Khelben is important, sure, but there are others just as important and powerful. Hells Masker Wands has chastised Khelben before, for being to flashy and a pain in the.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  03:00:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let us not also forget the martial roles of both the City Watch and City Guard. Neither should be overlooked when considering the defense of the city.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  12:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not view Khelben as the only most powerful defender of Waterdeep, besides there are many "hidden" archmages with the power to rival Khelben and on par with him. Still, there is Halaster, the hidden mad archmage who should pop his head out and be more actively involved in defense of Waterdeep and try to outshine Khelben.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  13:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not literally, no....

But he's the one Piergeiron looks to, and "...as the Open Lord goes, so goes the City of Splendors..."

Yes, there's tons of people that can do quite a lot, and no, he's probably not the highest level character in the city. This is why we sometimes hate statting up characters--it's not always in the numbers...and remember that Khelben, while he likes to answer to no one but himself, rarely if ever acts alone.

He's not the only one with the ability to help or save the city. He just acts like that.

Khelben's one of the few who could (because of personal relationships, history, and sheer force of will) rally all these forces behind him: The Guard, the Watch, the Watchful Order, every former apprentice of Blackstaff Tower (and know they number in at least dozens within the city alone), the Lords, the Lords' Agents, the Red Sashes & Force Grey, many a Moonstar and Harper (despite current political difficulties), the Thann noble family and its allies, and random others who owe him a debt. This ignores entirely his relationships with the relgions and churches, the other guilds, Laeral's contacts within Skullport and beyond, their fellow Chosen, and the Lords' Alliance.

Call me biased, but I can't see too many others (aside from Laeral or Piergeiron) who might be able to marshall that kind of support, should the City need him to do so. <shrug>

That's one of the flaws of D&D--individual stats almost never fully detail what sorts of things a character can do in a realistic setting. And for all his curmudgeonry, Khelben is someone who needs people on many levels, whether he'd ever admit it or not.

And by the by, yes, Lord Maskar's chastised him publicly about things, but just as we know that Khelben puts on a public facade and demeanor, he's hardly the first or only archmage to do so. (And yes, that's a hint of sorts...)

Sure, there are many, many defenders and powerful allies of Waterdeep that don't have a blessed thing to do with Blackstaff Tower, and they're all good and hearty heroes who should have songs to praise them. Given my focus and bias for the past 15 years, though, I'll hardly give them much ground. I'm fully and unabashedly one of the biggest fans ever of the son of Arun.

Steven Schend
Who's highly curious about this discussion and wants to see more people and why they don't think Khelben's suffered enough...

PS: Yes, I have a history for Khelben in my head, and it's true he's not suffered much "on stage," but the man's had his hardships and his trials. I just pray I'll some day get the chance to tell y'all about them.

PPS: For the record, Khelben's been buried/entombed at least seven times across his 960 year lifespan, had his body nearly or totally destroyed on at least three of those occassions, and seen the deaths of more spouses and offspring than any Chosen (so far as I know, but Ed and I haven't talked much on that regard for a long time now...and Sylune's still much of a mystery to all but Ed and THO).

PPSS: Khelben's suffered, but I'll agree that he might be setting himself up for a fall, if only because we all know what goeth before one, and he's got that in spades.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 22 Jul 2005 13:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  13:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I think Khelben has been through his share of trials and tribulations, and has earned his status. That being said, I would love to see a novel series based on Khelben as we have seen with Elminster. I am excited about Steven Schend's upcoming novel Blackstaff, but as I understand it, this will be set in present day Faerun. I would like to see the history of the Blackstaff in novel form.

Fret not. There's quite a bit of Khelben history in BLACKSTAFF. Exactly what, I'll not say right now, as I don't know what'll survive from first to final draft....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  14:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do I want to see Khelben shattered and broken, giving a Darth Vader like “NOOOOO” scream after finding out that his chosen power has been revoked and magic has left him?

No, not at all.

Do I want to see him become vicious in his pursuit of his goals, to the point of doing evil things like assassination? Have Khelben put on his Rambo headband and start a seriously aggressive assault against the things that not only threaten Waterdeep, but also the realms?

Yes.

Why?

Because, as it stands, as a defender of Waterdeep and a behind the scenes manipulator, he’s kinda like Elminster. Different, sure, but somehow lesser.

I’d much rather see The Blackstaff getting his hands dirty. Not like negotiating a treaty with the Zhentarim, but pretending to negotiate a treaty with the Zhentarim, and then zapping them all into a fine red haze, and then blaming it on the Cult of the Dragon, and then, when the cult and the Zhent’s clash, unleashing a demon on both groups. All for the good of the realms. An attitude that says he will get his hands filthy, dripping in blood, for the good of everyone, because no one else SHOULD be doing what he is doing, and by doing so, he is serving the people.

I know, there is a whole bit in many places where such things as “Why doesn’t Elminster just go and kill Fzoul?” are covered. And I’m not suggesting that Khelben just go and do just that, but instead having him just be more vicious in what he is already doing.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Do I want to see Khelben shattered and broken, giving a Darth Vader like “NOOOOO” scream after finding out that his chosen power has been revoked and magic has left him?

No, not at all.

Do I want to see him become vicious in his pursuit of his goals, to the point of doing evil things like assassination? Have Khelben put on his Rambo headband and start a seriously aggressive assault against the things that not only threaten Waterdeep, but also the realms?

Yes.

Why?

Because, as it stands, as a defender of Waterdeep and a behind the scenes manipulator, he’s kinda like Elminster. Different, sure, but somehow lesser.

I’d much rather see The Blackstaff getting his hands dirty. Not like negotiating a treaty with the Zhentarim, but pretending to negotiate a treaty with the Zhentarim, and then zapping them all into a fine red haze, and then blaming it on the Cult of the Dragon, and then, when the cult and the Zhent’s clash, unleashing a demon on both groups. All for the good of the realms. An attitude that says he will get his hands filthy, dripping in blood, for the good of everyone, because no one else SHOULD be doing what he is doing, and by doing so, he is serving the people.

I know, there is a whole bit in many places where such things as “Why doesn’t Elminster just go and kill Fzoul?” are covered. And I’m not suggesting that Khelben just go and do just that, but instead having him just be more vicious in what he is already doing.

I like your idea of an "evil" Khelben! Time he turn into CE already, I very favor the idea of him becoming as evil as Manshoon, at least something like Sammaster.

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  17:56:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

every former apprentice of Blackstaff Tower (and know they number in at least dozens within the city alone)

Can you share any lore about any of these folks?

quote:

PPS: For the record, Khelben's been buried/entombed at least seven times across his 960 year lifespan, had his body nearly or totally destroyed on at least three of those occassions, and seen the deaths of more spouses and offspring than any Chosen (so far as I know, but Ed and I haven't talked much on that regard for a long time now...and Sylune's still much of a mystery to all but Ed and THO).

Now that's interesting... Anything else you can say about this, or do we run into NDAs?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  18:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

every former apprentice of Blackstaff Tower (and know they number in at least dozens within the city alone)

Doubt I'd be saying anything right now that isn't already in print. The people to whom I was referring were the notables such as Savengriff, Nain Keenwhistler, Malchor Harpell, Carolyas Idogyr, a few Watch-wizards, ad nauseum. You'll meet a few former and current apprentices in the novel such as NDA of NDA, the NDA twins, ... get the picture?

quote:

Now that's interesting... Anything else you can say about this, or do we run into NDAs?
[/quote]

Planning to pitch something at DRAGON on that topic, so I'll keep it warm and toasty beneath a blanket NDA for now....but don't think I'm giving much away by hinting at the title of "The Graves of Khelben Arunsun."

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  23:02:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Doubt I'd be saying anything right now that isn't already in print. The people to whom I was referring were the notables such as Savengriff, Nain Keenwhistler, Malchor Harpell, Carolyas Idogyr, a few Watch-wizards, ad nauseum. You'll meet a few former and current apprentices in the novel such as NDA of NDA, the NDA twins, ... get the picture?

Indeed. What about apprentices that haven't been seen in print?

quote:

quote:

quote:

Planning to pitch something at DRAGON on that topic, so I'll keep it warm and toasty beneath a blanket NDA for now....but don't think I'm giving much away by hinting at the title of "The Graves of Khelben Arunsun."

Steven

That would be a nice tie-in to Blackstaff. I hope they go for it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  02:26:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven
Hmmm... I wonder what this could possible mean?

This is a great idea Steven. Here's hoping Dragon take you up on it.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  22:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do I want to see Khelben "fall"?

Hell no! Unless it just means having him slip down the stairs every now and then. I love Khelben the way he is.

Besides, one character of mine (a former apprentice and current Moonstar) would be very disappointed if such a fall from grace were to occur. She would feel forced to chastise him.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000