Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Greatest Villain Ever
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  10:15:34  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Szass Tam after reading The Haunted Lands... Such a good plot.

i like tam, too. he's role in the haunted lands made me like him even more. he's second on my list. telamont will still be first. i wonder why wotc has not yet made a project (a trilogy or a six-part series like the war of the spider queen) showcasing 2 or 3 of the realms' most formidable villains fighting each other.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  12:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Kymil Nimesin, although Elaith comes a close second. I just love elves and they are both great examples of Fair Folk gone evil... they still retain their intelligence, culture and knowledge and make great BBEGs or just villains.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  16:57:24  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont really consider elaith a villain any more.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  17:55:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The greatest villain ever is now the secret one in my campaign...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  21:57:00  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghost!!! Ghost from The Cleric Quintet. You gotta admit, he was friggen' wicked!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  01:07:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He ain't bad as an Iron Man villain either!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2010 :  04:31:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Telamont!

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  21:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I liked Barjin from Cleric's Quintet. He was evil, intelligent, cunning, manipulative and pretty capable, he also had taste. He could easily make coup d'etat if he would be victorious. A shame he died from backstabbing wizard's trick. He awakened my interest in playing evil clerics. The hunter from Drizzt's novel who hounded the Drizzt also was incredibly evil and ruthless for just vengeance driven man. But Barjin is on my first place.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 05 Jun 2010 21:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  18:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Personally I liked Barjin from Cleric's Quintet. He was evil, intelligent, cunning, manipulative and pretty capable, he also had taste. He could easily make coup d'etat if he would be victorious. A shame he died from backstabbing wizard's trick. He awakened my interest in playing evil clerics. The hunter from Drizzt's novel who hounded the Drizzt also was incredibly evil and ruthless for just vengeance driven man. But Barjin is on my first place.

What hunter? Zaknafein as zin-carla or Artemis Entreri?

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  00:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZireaelWhat hunter? Zaknafein as zin-carla or Artemis Entreri?

... Uh... Nether. The only venegence driven hunter was Roddy McGristle. Was uttery convienced that Dritz was evil. Plus took his eye. Killed his dog. Even though Drittz was defending himself every time.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  05:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, the way he killed the elf ranger, the pilgrims and even the evil pixie really grossed me out.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  09:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I choose Cyric.

Madder than a bag of hammers yet he's able to murder gods, manipulate others into acts they'd not normally entreat.

Yep, he's the Joker of the Realms.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't read the last 6 scrolls and it may have already been asked, but why wasn't Jon Irenicus on the list?

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  14:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit option, anyone?
I read most of this scroll and I think it was not asked. On that note, Sarevok springs to mind too.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  19:23:35  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that's because computer game chars are out of canon.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2010 :  19:50:44  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that events from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were made canon (such as the plague from neverwinter nights). In that case, Irenecus would be canon too. Still, his actions were limited to a single attempt to become a god (which failed) thus he should not be considered as the GREATEST villain ever, IMO. He sure was cool though.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  00:24:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I thought that events from Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were made canon (such as the plague from neverwinter nights). In that case, Irenecus would be canon too. Still, his actions were limited to a single attempt to become a god (which failed) thus he should not be considered as the GREATEST villain ever, IMO. He sure was cool though.

Some elements of the CRPG's can be considered canon, like the Bhaalspawn for example [since they've been detailed in the Realmslore]. However, because the games actually contain mulitple outcomes, they can't properly be considered canon themselves.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  07:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, Irenicus failed, but unlike Karsus Avatar it could work just fine, even if it destroyed nature in the region. He is cool, strong and evil, being an elf. Never thought that someone so masculine could be a great spellcaster. I bet he would be sorcerer in 3.x ed. I have not read the novel, but I think he is cool and that was not changed.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  09:47:01  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yep, Irenicus failed, but unlike Karsus Avatar it could work just fine, even if it destroyed nature in the region. He is cool, strong and evil, being an elf. Never thought that someone so masculine could be a great spellcaster. I bet he would be sorcerer in 3.x ed. I have not read the novel, but I think he is cool and that was not changed.

I made Irenicus a 19th level sorcerer in the version I did for my friends.
Back on topic: Manshoon is great too. For some reason I never liked Fzoul.

Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2010 :  10:29:21  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the subject of Karsus's avatar, I've always believed that only the choice of God doomed Karsus. The spell was a success, the sudden need to control the weave was not. Had Karsus a little less hubris and settled for a lesser god, I imagine he would've been able to figure it out and exist quite happily as perhaps even a different greater deity. All could have beens, of course, but still tantalizing thoughts about a world with a power-crazed Netherse arcanist as a god.

As for villains, I've always had a soft spot for Manshoon. The Zhents may be a little bit incompetent, but their Lord Most High (great title) is anything but.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

R0GUE
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  00:48:09  Show Profile  Visit R0GUE's Homepage Send R0GUE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tough one here between Elaith and Artemis. I went with Elaith, because I love Elaine Cunningham's books so much.

You have had your pocket pilfered by the R0GUE.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  01:13:31  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:

On the subject of Karsus's avatar, I've always believed that only the choice of God doomed Karsus. The spell was a success, the sudden need to control the weave was not. Had Karsus a little less hubris and settled for a lesser god, I imagine he would've been able to figure it out and exist quite happily as perhaps even a different greater deity. All could have beens, of course, but still tantalizing thoughts about a world with a power-crazed Netherse arcanist as a god.

As for villains, I've always had a soft spot for Manshoon. The Zhents may be a little bit incompetent, but their Lord Most High (great title) is anything but.

I always wondered what might have happened had Karsus used his spell on Tempus, or Tyr, with no complex power like the weave to suddenly control. I guess that for one, Mystrul wouldn't have died, the cities wouldn't have crashed and the worst that could have happenned would have been Karsus exploding (or imploding). Or yeah, that god might have died too.

But if it did worked... Epic Tenser's Transformation ++
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  08:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Some elements of the CRPG's can be considered canon, like the Bhaalspawn for example [since they've been detailed in the Realmslore]. However, because the games actually contain mulitple outcomes, they can't properly be considered canon themselves.

Are the novelised books of the BG tales then not considered as canon?

EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2010 :  10:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Official novel is considered canonic. All other not. Damn it, why the protagonist is fighter?!

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  05:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the protagonist was a fighter for a couple of reasons.

Sarevok, the first boss villian was a fighter and become extremely powerful. Also, despite clerics and mages having access to some really nasty killing spells, once a fighter gets into melee range, its pretty hard to keep on casting spells if you are being stabbed with a sword [concentration DC] Fighters are able to dish out and take the punishment...become "killing machines" which is sort of what the Bhaalspawn Slayer incarnation was.

I think as well a fighter is probably the easiest character to write a POV and for the readers to understand.

Anyhow, I thought as much that the novels were canon.

I didn't really enjoy them much to be honest. They were too bleak with all the companions being killed along the way. Its hard to cheer and feel an empathy for the protagonist when at the end, he's left standing alone and a line of bodies stretches out behind him. Yes I know he is the son of the Lord of Murder... but IMO, it should have gone a different way.

My take on it would be to chronicle the character I played, Talwyn , a paladin of Torm. Now that is a good conflict story right there, prodigal son if there ever was. Also a more in depth examination of the whole nature vs nuture argument could have been delved into.

Meh...

it won't happen but I think that might have made a more intriguing story.

EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Baldur's Gate is one of the worst FR books I regretfully read. Not only because of the protagonist ( A mere fighter opposing those villains? What a lousy joke. I am partial to wizards, but even so...), but because of everything else. If there's anything good about it, I can really think of none, except the certainty of not having to read books 2 and 3.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  15:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not just job. The guy should be interesting and exciting, otherwise he is no better than freaking emo-Drizzt or some stupid berserker who only slashes and does nothing at all. All those great quotes from games I liked were ignored that could give him life. And name was stupid. And what the hell is with this souleater thing? They could find some other manifestation of his power but not so boring!

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  14:00:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric managed to be a mortal turned into a god... Roddy McGristle and Kymil Nimesin upsetted me with their cruel determination, Artemis Entreri - even if I don't like the name very much - and Jarlaxle were also very cunning and had a well developed personality...

But for me, the best of the best is Elaith Craulnober. Sometimes a "quessir", then a ruthless killer, and just after that a skilled and elegant warrior. Bound to the elven ways and also vengeful; cold and calculist, and a survivor. In my opinion, he's a complex, complete character, an almost real villain!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 23 Jun 2010 14:04:16
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  12:14:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wait, Karsus is a villain? Since when? He wanted to ascend to save his empire. He just didn't know what consequences it would bring. The intention/means justifies, in a way, the end.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2011 :  17:59:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Wait, Karsus is a villain? Since when? He wanted to ascend to save his empire. He just didn't know what consequences it would bring. The intention/means justifies, in a way, the end.

So since his intention was to save the empire, this justifies him destroying it?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000