Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Greatest Villain Ever
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  01:07:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auzoros

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

There's quite a bit of Manshoon in Ed's Knights trilogy.

Im intent on buying those books. If Sage speaks highly of them (and I know he's a Manshoon fan too), then I can't wait to read them.

Note, however, that they are mostly brief scenes featuring Manshoon. He's not a main cast character in the trilogy. Rather, he pops up from time to time. But they're more than enough for those who love Manshoon and his antics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  06:10:17  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Im intent on buying those books. If Sage speaks highly of them (and I know he's a Manshoon fan too), then I can't wait to read them.

Note, however, that they are mostly brief scenes featuring Manshoon. He's not a main cast character in the trilogy. Rather, he pops up from time to time. But they're more than enough for those who love Manshoon and his antics.

Well I've just placed my order with Amazon (along with a few other novels).

Unfortunately the dropkick that's selling them on eBay (Australia) atm likes to change his/her pricing options during the final hours of bidding...the greedy so-and-so!

Edited by - Auzoros on 01 Aug 2009 07:50:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  07:51:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I've just placed my order with Amazon (along with a few other novels).

Unfortunately the dropkick that's selling them on eBay atm likes to change his/her pricing options during the final hours of bidding...the greedy so-and-so!

It's a shame you've already ordered from Amazon. Because I know both MilSims and Galaxy Books here in Australia still have copies of all three books available for purchase and mail-order.

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  07:56:32  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, apparently there is a favorite villain thread.

As I've said elsewhere, Cythara from The Greater Treasure is my favorite villain thus far. I feel that Sarya could have really been something, but... nevermind. I won't say any more about that.

I'm really hoping to see more of Cythara and her brother in the future! Maybe a mention will be made of her fey'ri bladesinger lover?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 01 Aug 2009 08:09:44
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  12:46:14  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
can I vote for the authors of the 4E Campaign book? Those are indeed the greatest villians of the Realms in my book

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  18:14:38  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

can I vote for the authors of the 4E Campaign book? Those are indeed the greatest villians of the Realms in my book

Indeed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  01:01:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks, let's try to keep this focused on actual villains who populate the Realms campaign setting.

Thank you.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Aug 2009 01:02:31
Go to Top of Page

gwalchavad
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  07:15:52  Show Profile  Visit gwalchavad's Homepage Send gwalchavad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sojourner FTW completely selfish, but completely mundane
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  23:20:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Folks, let's try to keep this focused on actual villains who populate the Realms campaign setting.

Thank you.

Uh... Sage? They *are* the actual villains who depopulated and (sort of) repopulated (what was left of) the Realms campaign setting. What more do you want?

That's why I voted "other" in the poll.

Seriously, in-world... definitely Halaster. He ran Undermountain like a demented collaboration of Poe and Lovecraft, then when he learned about the Spellplague, he blew his soul to atoms rather than stop it. That's what I call evil.

(And yes, I know it wasn't his choice to blow his soul to atoms, but it was somebody's choice, wasn't it?)

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 Aug 2009 23:20:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  01:09:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Thank you.

Uh... Sage? They *are* the actual villains who depopulated and (sort of) repopulated (what was left of) the Realms campaign setting. What more do you want?

That's why I voted "other" in the poll.
Nice try, Jakk. But Smyther's opening post for this scroll makes it pretty clear he asking about villains within the context of the FORGOTTEN REALMS setting.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Aug 2009 01:10:06
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  22:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a wee bit creepy...I found this on page one of the post...way back in '05. Seems he is a prophet.

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

1) Cyric-this lunatic deity is a great threat to the Realms and the Pantheon. He reminds me of the Norse god, Loki, and who knows one day he might ally with the Elder Eternal Evils and lead a revolt against the Pantheon. It was a serious lack of perception on Ao's part to allow an man as insane as Karsus to assume a deity position.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  22:27:53  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Seriously, in-world... definitely Halaster. He ran Undermountain like a demented collaboration of Poe and Lovecraft, then when he learned about the Spellplague, he blew his soul to atoms rather than stop it. That's what I call evil.

(And yes, I know it wasn't his choice to blow his soul to atoms, but it was somebody's choice, wasn't it?)

Where can I read what has happened to Halaster during the spellplague and in 4e? Any info out there?

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2009 :  01:07:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

Where can I read what has happened to Halaster during the spellplague and in 4e? Any info out there?

-

He was no longer around by the time of the Sellplague. In the core module Expedition to Undermountain (yeah, it wasn't even an FR product), Hally detected some coming magical threat and tried to stop it, but got blown to tiny pieces instead. What the threat was or what he was doing remain unspecified. It all happened offstage.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2009 :  01:36:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:

-

He was no longer around by the time of the Sellplague. In the core module Expedition to Undermountain (yeah, it wasn't even an FR product), Hally detected some coming magical threat and tried to stop it, but got blown to tiny pieces instead. What the threat was or what he was doing remain unspecified. It all happened offstage.

And Halaster's demise was later referenced in Grand History of the Realms. Grounding the events of EtU in FR canon.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2009 :  20:35:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Achhhh! What a shame! I really liked this guy and Undermountain without Halaster is just like beer without alcohol...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2009 :  22:10:11  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

This is a wee bit creepy...I found this on page one of the post...way back in '05. Seems he is a prophet.

quote:

1) Cyric-this lunatic deity is a great threat to the Realms and the Pantheon. He reminds me of the Norse god, Loki, and who knows one day he might ally with the Elder Eternal Evils and lead a revolt against the Pantheon. It was a serious lack of perception on Ao's part to allow an man as insane as Karsus to assume a deity position.

Maybe it wasn't so much that he's a prophet as some guy over at WOTC saw the post

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2009 :  22:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:

Maybe it wasn't so much that he's a prophet as some guy over at WOTC saw the post

LOL...I can see it now
"OH wow...what a great idea...Cyric kills EVERYONE...whew!!! was wondering how we were gonna do 4th ed...problem solved"

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

LordManshoon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  01:55:02  Show Profile Send LordManshoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, I wonder who got my vote...

Mastering myriad magics since Ed was young
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  14:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question about Halaster. If the spellplague caused normal mages to go insane what about insane ones?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  16:06:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

I have a question about Halaster. If the spellplague caused normal mages to go insane what about insane ones?

Doesn't matter. He was already dead when it happened.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  18:10:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordManshoon

Gee, I wonder who got my vote...

You again.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2009 :  18:17:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Doesn't matter. He was already dead when it happened.

Maybe he is, maybe he wont be?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  13:35:33  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric!! The Cyrinishad....was the coolest thing to ever happen in the Realms

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  13:46:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  14:46:50  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote Manshoon, one of the few villains who doesn't fall for the villainous tropes others fall to (like explaining the grandmaster plan to the good guys). He is the man with the plan that nobody can unravel proper (even able to confound his own clone selves!).

Honorable mentions:
Zasian Mensz, he shows the power of deception and lies can propel one to great heights.

Sojourner, a villain I could relate to till the very end

Irenicus, loved to hate this one and aptly brought to life by the voiceacting of David Warner

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  22:57:05  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I vote Manshoon, one of the few villains who doesn't fall for the villainous tropes others fall to (like explaining the grandmaster plan to the good guys). He is the man with the plan that nobody can unravel proper (even able to confound his own clone selves!).

Honorable mentions:
Zasian Mensz, he shows the power of deception and lies can propel one to great heights.

Sojourner, a villain I could relate to till the very end

Irenicus, loved to hate this one and aptly brought to life by the voiceacting of David Warner

was zasian mensz from a novel.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  23:23:25  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zasian Mensz was in the Thomas Reid trilogy:Empyrean Odyssey.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2009 :  10:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric and Bane. The former is the deific embodyment of treachery and murder, etc. The latter the deific embodyment of tyrrany and oppression. The most evil, in my opinion, if for no other reason than their single minded persuit of their brand of evil as gods and their unrivalled power to do and inspire it in that capacity.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2009 :  22:17:45  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
How about Ghost from Night Masks?

Aye, I must say that he'd take my vote as well. Especially the way he treated the firbolg (forget his name). Just so... evil.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2010 :  10:06:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm partial to netheril, so my vote goes to Telemont. he's unreadable face, calm attitude, (arguably) unparalleled cunning, and great power make him stand out.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000