Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Greatest Villain Ever
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  06:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Not necessarily your favorite villain, but the greatest one you can think of. This could be the one that most embodies evil, the one that has wreaked the most havoc, or some other category. I've focused on the novel villains, but you can draw from any point in Faerunian history.
I've sorta cheated on some of these, putting down more than one that are somehow related to each other. If you pick one of these, just say which one you mean.

I'd pick Manshoon.

Choices:

Manshoon or Fzoul Chembryl
Kymil Nimesin
Karsus
Sammaster
Szass Tam
Artemis Entreri or Jarlaxle
Telemont
Iakhovas
Cyric or Bane
Sarya Dlardrageth or Malkizid
Elaith the Serpent
Other, please specify

(Anonymous Vote)

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

Edited by - Smyther on 12 Nov 2006 03:53:19

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  07:03:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Likeable villian award goes to Elaith

Evil and depraived villian award goes to Neb the Child killer

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 18 Jul 2005 07:03:39
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  08:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eltab
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  09:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric and Bane. Mainly just Cyric. Bane was never really as evil in my opinion.

Cyric was the pure epitome of madness + evil. He's betrayal of Midnight and party till his attempt at the Cyrinishad. That was just really villainous.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  11:24:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith is the coolest villain... But I think Karsus is the one that has had the most impact.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  12:48:45  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in my own eyes, i think Karsus is the greatest villain, well his insane experiments were a threat to his own people and also he even challenged Mystryl for her portfolio, for his hasty and evil decision to take over Mystryl, he caused the deaths of thousands of innocents of Netheril Empire and maybe even more outside the Netheril Empire. Well, at least Karse never became the God of Magic or he might had been become another Cyric and pose a threat to Ao and the other deities, because Karsus was already too insane to think properly.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  14:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Wooly Rupert and Shadovar that Karsus is one of the greatest villain of all times. Still, I have some views on some villains I think are also as great a threat as Karsus. Here are the rankings(for my own):

1) Cyric-this lunatic deity is a great threat to the Realms and the Pantheon. He reminds me of the Norse god, Loki, and who knows one day he might ally with the Elder Eternal Evils and lead a revolt against the Pantheon. It was a serious lack of perception on Ao's part to allow an man as insane as Karsus to assume a deity position.

2) Sammaster-A raving lunatic and hypocrite(forgive my choice of words as I can't find a word to describe him but this). He seemed to act like a concerned leader for his followers and another moment doesn't seem to be concerned at all, then later start to regret not going to save his followers. And yes, he and his plans are indeed a serious threat that cannot be ignored.

3) Telamont Tanthul-Though I must admit that I seriously admire his cunning and intelligence plus his all time unreadable face, he seemed to have crazy dreams about restoring Netheril and his impressive mind and shadowy plans also makes him an all time great villain.

4) Shar-her long term goal of destroying everything poses a very grave threat to all including the Pantheon and the whole Multiverse. Hence, I consider her as another greatest villanous goddess.

5) Manshoon (the undead version)- The undead version of Manshoon or called the faceless seemed to be almost like an avatar of Orcus, to spread vampirism all over the Realms which is the Faceless one goal. Though not that so actively evil and openly evil, his subtlety and way of working things can be very dangerous. So, no doubt another great villain.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.

Edited by - Sir Vengeance on 18 Jul 2005 14:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:23:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

1) Cyric-this lunatic deity is a great threat to the Realms and the Pantheon. He reminds me of the Norse god, Loki, and who knows one day he might ally with the Elder Eternal Evils and lead a revolt against the Pantheon. It was a serious lack of perception on Ao's part to allow an man as insane as Karsus to assume a deity position.

I trust that the last reference was supposed to be to Cyric?

I don't think Ao showed any lack of perception... He just wants the Balance preserved. Certainly, Cyric is doing his best to upset the Balance, but there's enough deities working against him to stop him.

Remember, mortals aren't supposed to be able to understand deities. So we certainly can't expect to understand one who stands above the deities.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  00:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's something intensely dislikeable about Kymil Nimesin to me which I can't quite put into words, so I went for him.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, through his extremely volatile actions attained divinity. It was in a way more evil than Bane. Cyric all the way.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:44:19  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Manshoon and as well as Szass Tam are the greatest villains ever known in FR world.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:46:54  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric,Bane..Either,or.I'm assuming since they are put together.The vote goes to them both.Though Elaith is the most likable villian for me.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:53:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would shy away from calling a god one of the greatest villains, if only becuase their function is more as an example, a patron, of a great villain.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:58:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedStrike

I think Manshoon and as well as Szass Tam are the greatest villains ever known in FR world.

Do you see either of them or their impact on the Realms as being greater than those of either Karsus or Sammaster?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 05:00:17
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:02:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tam is a great villain, but I think the politics of Thay, and worrying as much about his fellow Red Wizards, takes some of the impact away from Szass Tam would otherwise have. I feel that Manshoon has yet to really implement a lot of what his devious mind has been planning over the years. I really get the feeling that Manshoon has a multi tier plan, and that founding the Zhentarim was really only part of it. Then again, I have a lot of my own thoughts about Manshoon and what he's REALLY up to.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:58:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Cyric, through his extremely volatile actions attained divinity. It was in a way more evil than Bane. Cyric all the way.

I've always thought of Cyric as more of an opportunist than anything else. It's part of the reason I can't take him seriously as a villain.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  06:15:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I've always thought of Cyric as more of an opportunist than anything else. It's part of the reason I can't take him seriously as a villain.

I think the whole "I'm Cyric and I'm insane" angle contributed greatly to that also, at least for me. It wasn't something that made his character or personality very appealing to this reader.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  16:09:15  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I would shy away from calling a god one of the greatest villains, if only becuase their function is more as an example, a patron, of a great villain.

I was referring to the mortal Cyric, instead of the divine Cyric.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  17:24:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

quote:

The mortal Cyric, was, to me, almost a tragic character. He coulda turned out to be a good guy, but he lacked the moral courage to stick to the straight-and-narrow. He seemed to fall into evil because it was easier.

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  19:02:18  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith of course. I'm not here for explaining his history, you know it well. In Dream Spheres is said that he is the greatest crime lord of the southern side from Memnon
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:18:42  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

quote:

The mortal Cyric, was, to me, almost a tragic character. He coulda turned out to be a good guy, but he lacked the moral courage to stick to the straight-and-narrow. He seemed to fall into evil because it was easier.

Agreed,but he was good at being evil.He was an opportunist on the greatest scale.There are many villians whose ultimate goal is to reach divinity.He just happened to achieve that goal.Though it wasn't his goal at first.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most Successful Villain: Cyric, you can't get much more successful than becoming a greater god of evil! But I think it's kind of cheesey to vote for a deity.

Biggest Impact on the Realms: Karsus. Its got to be Karsus, he forever changed magic and killed a deity while he was at it.

Greatest Villain: Fzoul Chembryl. Fzoul is the man. He is the Chosen of a Greater Deity and has what it takes to dominate an entire region of Faerun. He is also intelligent enough to surpass his rivals (Manshoon), wise enough to deal with opponents where conflict may prove disasterous (Khelben), and sane enough to not destroy himself in his lust for power (a la Karsus).

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 19 Jul 2005 20:35:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:41:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Most Successful Villain: Cyric, you can't get much more successful than becoming a greater god of evil! But I think it's kind of cheesey to vote for a deity.

Biggest Impact on the Realms: Karsus. Its got to be Karsus, he forever changed magic and killed a deity while he was at it.

Greatest Villain: Fzoul Chembryl. Fzoul is the man. He is the Chosen of a Greater Deity and has what it takes to dominate an entire region of Faerun. He is also intelligent enough to surpass his rivals (Manshoon), wise enough to deal with opponents where conflict may prove disasterous (Khelben), and sane enough to not destroy himself in his lust for power (a la Karsus).

I like this analysis of Fzoul. He is certainly one of my fave villains, and has been since the Cyrinishad debacle.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  22:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like this analysis of Fzoul. He is certainly one of my fave villains, and has been since the Cyrinishad debacle.

Ah yes, in my haste to put out a Fzoul resume I forgot to mention outwitting a Greater Deity (Cyric).
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  11:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artemis are certainly the greatest villain. He is a complex character with so many facets to him. He have a purely evil heart bent on his own best and that which can promote it. He is evil, cunning, intelligent and most of all he doesnt operate in the open. His covert live is made of the stuff of legens.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  21:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember thinking that Dag Zoreth from Thornhold was a great example of a villain. He should be on the list.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  15:24:15  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What ever happened to Dag Zoreth after Thornhold? Has there been any mention of his current whereabouts?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  16:21:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not of his whereabouts, but he's mentioned in City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  16:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any new info or just a little recap of Thornhold?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  16:51:52  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, just says that he's Bronwyn's estranged brother (while I suppose that, technically, his 3.5 ed stats count as new info - that wasn't what you meant, was it?)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  12:13:36  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I chose Fzoul for pretty much the same reason.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000