Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Info on Crown Wars?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Narithal
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  07:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Narithal's Homepage Send Narithal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A friend and I want to write a novel or series about the Crown Wars, but we couldn't find any good sites with info on it. So if anyone could give us info 'bout it we would be really gratefull.

Thanks in advance.
~Narithal

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  11:35:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerūn and the 2E Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves are likely the best places to look for info on the Crown Wars. I believe the latter is available as a free download on the downloads page of the WotC site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  01:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also some parts of Evermeet: Island of Elves take place in the Crown Wars (or before).

Personally, I've always thought that the Crown Wars could be compared somewhat to Tolkien's First Age. Let's face it... it's 3000 years of constant warfare across an area that rivals Russia in acreage (not entirely sure how huge, but way bigger than the US). Elf fighting elf fighting dragon fighting orc in the golden age of magic. Too massive for anything to do it even partway justice.

On the other hand, it's also home to probably more stories than any other time in FR's history. Have fun!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  01:56:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The timelines provide some idea of scope and duration of the Crown wars. There can be thousands of novels written about them that will not conflict with (the occasional shifting) canon. Elves that survived the Dark Disaster, the burning of the forestest (I still have a hard time believing the Dark Elves were the first to cast a fireball in a forest), the Desent that tranformed all Dark Elves into Drow (except for some occassional references that all Dark Elves are not Drow) even if they oposed the wars and were good aligned.

There are so many stories that can be told that will not conflict with canon that short of knowing what canon is there should be no problem with writting tales or Novels as long as one remembers in the end wht the results were.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Narithal
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  03:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Narithal's Homepage Send Narithal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is alread books about the Crown Wars? Darn, I was hoping to be one of the first..
Hmm, are there any other big wars in FR that have not been writing about?

Oh, what about Myth Drannor? Was it in the Crown Wars?

Edited by - Narithal on 16 Jul 2005 03:25:31
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  03:38:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Narithal

There is alread books about the Crown Wars? Darn, I was hoping to be one of the first..
Hmm, are there any other big wars in FR that have not been writing about?

There are books that refer to the Crown Wars, some source books and some novels discuss the Grand event. I do not recall any novel directly dealing with this thousand(s) year war. There are many things that still can be told about individuals and groups that took one side or the other , or tried to get out of its way. Perhaps millions died , but that also means millions lived. All the products I know of do not do many detail of the wars, just key events.

As for other wars the lore/timelines do record many with in general a brief infomation of how it startrd, where it occured and which party won.

Myth Drannor, an upstart IIRC did not exist during the Crown Wars.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."

Edited by - Kentinal on 16 Jul 2005 03:41:27
Go to Top of Page

Narithal
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  03:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Narithal's Homepage Send Narithal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am gonna be sticking to the Crown Wars. And I thank you all very much, but I have one more thing to ask; is there a map of Cormanthyr during that time? I know there is one in the Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves guide book but it is hard to follow..

Thanks Again
~Narithal
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  10:32:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Crown Wars ended in -9,000 DR. Myth Drannor did not come into being until 261 DR with the raising of its mythal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Narithal
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  02:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Narithal's Homepage Send Narithal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Were the Avariel in the war? And were all elves fighting each other, or were there alliances?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  05:40:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Were the Avariel in the war? And were all elves fighting each other, or were there alliances?

There is no report in any time line that I know of that reports Avariel were involved in any of the series of wars.

Yes there were Elven nations that alliad with other Elven nations.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=4 offers a partial timeline of the wars.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  20:56:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that there have been pyro elves throughout time, and fireball is such a useful spell that I'm also sure that it was created very early on.

What differentiated the soon-to-be drow from that is that they actively used *massive* fire as a weapon, burning down entire nations. Start a fire in a circle surrounding said nation and then use magic to make sure it continues to burn inward. End result: lots of charred trees and elves. According to one source, the *entire* Shaar and Eastern Shaar (check the maps, it's a massive area) is a plain today because the drow burned down all the trees.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Narithal,

Just checking after 14.5 years: did you write this novel? If so, how do I check it out? :)

Best regards,

quote:

A friend and I want to write a novel or series about the Crown Wars, but we couldn't find any good sites with info on it. So if anyone could give us info 'bout it we would be really gratefull.

Thanks in advance.
~Narithal

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000