Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ideas for a bad Omen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  17:37:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In my current Zhentarim Campaign the PC's sought out a group of Malarite Lycanthropes and asked for their help. As a sign of respect the party brought the Bloodmaster two people for sacrifice.

The Bloodmaster agreed to help the PC's but first he plans to stage a High Hunt in honor of Malar where the pack hunts the two captives.

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas for a bad omen or something like that to take place that will split the pack?

I would like for the Blood Master to stick to his word to help the party but several members of the pack will think it is wrong to help the "weak city folk".

Any ideas on how I can divide the pack?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  18:01:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have the three 2E god books (Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities -- I'm away from mine, at the moment), I'd check out the section on Malar. Each deity's description included manifestations -- ways the deity makes his/her/it's feelings known without actually dropping in and saying "Hi!"

One of the manifestations Malar uses to show his displeasure would go a long way to causing problems in a group of his followers, especially if it was one that occurs naturally -- so maybe it is a sign, maybe it isn't...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jul 2005 18:02:16
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  18:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

One of the manifestations Malar uses to show his displeasure would go a long way to causing problems in a group of his followers, especially if it was one that occurs naturally -- so maybe it is a sign, maybe it isn't...

Thanks Wooly, that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Unfortunately I don't have access to Powers & Pantheons or Demihumans Deities.

Unfortunatly I didn't get into FR until 3E so my only 2E FR tomes are Ruins of Zhentil Keep and Castles Boxed sets along with Cloak and Dagger.

If anybody has access to these two tomes and would like to share a sign of Malar's displeasure it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 14 Jul 2005 18:14:25
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  18:17:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bad omens:

The clouds cover the moon.

The leader of the hunt (and very skilled at the hunt) trips, fumbles or other ways not able to lead the hunt.

One or both captives survive the hunt and escape.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  18:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could use the omen of a total eclipse of the sun... In the middle ages this was a very strange and unprecedentet experience and should be clear enough for the players to pick up on... Perhaps have somebody warn them in some way in advance... Totally up to yourself. I have used it. And it works.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:01:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
If anybody has access to these two tomes and would like to share a sign of Malar's displeasure it would be greatly appreciated.

"Malar prefers to manifest as a cloud of darkness in which two large, red, feral eyes gleam. From this cloud may issue forth his voice, bestial roars or snarls, or (most often) deep, snarling laughter."

Faiths and Avatars, p. 106
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:20:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK strike "The clouds cover the moon." that might be considered a good omen.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  21:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have the leader of the hunt not be able to finish the hunt. Either a broken leg that slows them down enough before healing can happen, or perhaps the leader falls down a cliff and gets too seperated from the prey to really participate more.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:46:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just re-read Cormyr: The Novel and there was a part mentioning about how Malar does not like diseases in his hunting grounds that could affect the Hunt.

This could be a sign of bad omen, perhaps having one of the werewolves in the opposition faction become diseased. Or you could even have the prisoners brought by the PCs be diseased with some kind of magical plague.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  16:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of one of the hunted escaping. It's probably rarely, if ever, happened. It seems like that would be a dire omen to any pack of the People of the Black Blood.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  19:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies!

We are playing again Thursday night and I'm still throwing around a couple of these ideas. It is currently Mirtul in 1373 (Year of Rogue Dragons) in my game so I am also contemplating throwing in a little draconic interference...is that a little over the top? A draconic random encounter?

The PC's and People of the Black Blood currently ahve two captives to hunt. One of the captives is a halfling the party kidnapped so the Werewolves are planning on letting the "pups" hunt the halfling. I was thinking something could happen to one of the pups...

These are just a few of the thoughts I've been throwing around. Thanks for the ideas and please, keep them coming...I have until Thursday at 6:30 pm eastern time.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  11:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Draconic interference can work and give the session a great kick into the feeling of adventure. Perhaps you could use the ability of some dragons to turn to human form and then contact the gruop. Then throw small hints at them so that they slowly see the truth. But be careful... A dragon is a mighty creature to throw into play.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  12:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a description of the High Hunt held each season by worshippers of Malar.
Worshippers adorned in kill trophies hunt a humanoid who can win his or her life and a boon by surviving for a day and a night.

Thats not exactly an omen I know but might be a suitable setting :)

Given many of Malars worshippers are evil Lycanthropes I'd say something happening to the moon would be especially significant for them. If you can get the hunt to take place at a full moon, then having it cloud over or some other significant covering of it would stress them out I imagine (stay away from red colours, I'd say red shows Malars pleasure rather than the opposite, given the fact he thinks a brutal and bloody death has great meaning).
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  18:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could make the dragon just appear in the middle of the hunt and interrupt it. There wouldn't even have to be much interaction with the dragon if you didn't want. It can just show up and bloc the hunting party with the prey. No one wants to get near the dragon and by the time the hunt goes around, the prey is long gone.

Though, the idea of the halfling managing to kill one of the "pups" and then escaping is a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  18:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if the dragon "steals" the prey? Or at least the human prey, and in the confusion the halfling could kill the "pup" and escape.

What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  19:42:31  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty good.

I'm sure that once the halfling escapes, he will go alert some authority figures somewhere. These will in turn hire a band of adventurers to come snopping around. It will even come out to look like the bad omen is coming true. Very nice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000